inherent flaws with the terrain sets?

Hannibal

Hi all,

just got my copy of Shattered Stormvault terrain set for Warcry and while it is one great deal, there seems to be some flaws:

1) 12 out of the 36 terrain cards included need the core set terrain to build the battlefield shown.

2) some of the victory condition cards in the core set force you to put a marker on a platform at least 3" above the ground which Shattered Stormvault terrain set just doesn´t offer. It seems to me that this is the same with the Mausoleum set.

Well, there are simple soulutions to both flaws, but nevertheless it seems that GW either wants to sell the core set or they didn´t notice these flaws.

Besides these problems the Shattered Stormvault terrain set is a pretty good deal I highly recommend to you! In fact, I will get a second (maybe a third) in short time just to build battlefields for AoS and 40k too.

• Like 1

The terrain in general seems to not be very well co-ordinated. The terrain in the starter set has instructions to build, but they don't match the layout cards and it instructs you to glue together some pieces that should be left unglued if you want to be able to use all the cards. I followed instructions online to match the cards and still managed to glue on a piece of wooden wall that needs to be removable, despite instructions in the box saying otherwise. On top of that a part was missing from my sprue! So far I've found it all pretty frustrating.

I strongly believe that the terrain layout cards are going to be ignored by most players and they will just set the terrain up however they like most of the time. You really have to be careful not to mess something up when assembling the terrain, so most players won't have cards that match their kits.

Yeah the terrain feels... Weird. Like there was a big miscommunication somewhere. They obviously want the terrain cards to be used since they're in the core rules for setting up a game, but the size issues and build instructions really don't mesh with that at all. At this point I'm not really sure if there's much they can do to fix it. Maybe publish working instructions online and errata the 3" rules to 2.5"?

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

@Dreadmund I don’t recall seeing anything about a wooden wall you weren’t supposed to glue; only the two flights of stairs, and the platform/statue combination. Which wall are you referring to and could you post a picture? 

This end piece on the head platform. Some of the cards have it there, some don't so you should avoid gluing it in place if you want to use all the cards the game comes with. I didn't realise and I used plastic glue so im not going to bother ruining the whole thing by cutting it apart again.

IMG_20190808_181706.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification.  I never went through the deck to compare the cards and glued mine as well. I’d used the Waywalker Studio’s post about the terrain pieces when assembling mine and they didn’t mention that particular piece in the write up. Since mine’s also glued with plastic glue we’ll just pretend it isn’t there if we draw one of those cards I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I never went through the deck to compare the cards and glued mine as well. I’d used the Waywalker Studio’s post about the terrain pieces when assembling mine and they didn’t mention that particular piece in the write up. Since mine’s also glued with plastic glue we’ll just pretend it isn’t there if we draw one of those cards I guess. 

They've added it to the waywalker post since. I made the same mistake. Sucks but oh well.

I really like that they're incorporating set terrain into their scenario layouts but yeah, I think they kinda fudged it up for this. Doesn't sound like it would be a big deal to alter the terrain set-up a bit though (or just make up your own).

just building my terrain now, very happy to have seen that Waywalker article beforehand! That mild gripe aside I can totally see why they've included core set terrain in some of the plans in the Mausoleum and Stormvault sets, it's a pretty fair bet that most people who will be playing this AND who have bought one of the Ravaged Land sets will, if they don't own it themselves, have access to the core set amongst their group.

Anyway I look at it this way, you get 24 terrain cards for that set and then a bonus 12 for creating more expanded games and are use of all the frankly pretty great terrain. I mean even 24 cards when combined with deployment cards and twists and the like gives you more than enough options to be getting on with.

The 3" height thing is again something that whilst yes I can imagine it annoying some people I think you just need to be sensible about, the terrain was always going to have to work with existing kits and I can't think of any rule in AoS that deals with fractions of inches. I think people just have be reasonable and take it as read that each level of the terrain counts as 3".

One thing I will say is that I've literally just put the bell tower together and the first thing I did is go on Ebay and buy a second sprue of it for a tenner. What I'm going to do is take the smaller highest platform (and its struts) from the new sprue and attach it to the side of the belltower jutting out from the middle platform where the long ladder goes. That creates about an inch or two more space where the ladder rests and will look a lot better I reckon.

Then I'm going to build the 2nd tower but cut and mangle it around where the bell is (with the bell having fallen off and resting on its side on the platform), so I'll an extra 1 level platform and have a spare pair of ladders too.

I think combining the terrain sets is a very sensible move by GW. As you say within a game group actively playing the game its not too hard for several people to buy different sets and combine them up for games. Furthermore it encourages people to buy more terrain sets from GW - remembering that they work not only in Warcry but also in AoS proper as well. So you get a double bonus from the use of them.

Personally I'm tempted to mess around and see if the terrain from the box can be put together with magnets. That not only makes it easier to chop and change, but also means that you can transport it more easily; esp for some of the wall segments. 

GW customer service is kindly sending me a replacement sprue for the stone head because a part was missing, so I will be really lucky to get a second chance to glue it together without having the gate attached. I wanted to shout out the good support. But still, people reading this who are gluing the kit together, make sure you check the waywalker article first so you don't make the same mistake!

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

@Hannibal   could you possibly post a pic of the shattered stormvault board with the scenery on it? The official photos don't really give a sense of how well the scenery fills the board. Thanks.

Will post pictures soon.

EDIT:

319666176_19007WarcryGelande.jpg.b3ed78935462f8fd941f5ce04c6f55d1.jpg

Edited by Hannibal
  • Thanks 2