The Rumour Thread

I really think all kinds of engines and ships could work for practically every army. It was even true for WFB, the downside of WFB was that it did require some aquatic areas to be believable but for Age of Sigmar something like that doesn't really matter.

Better put a flying chariot for Stormcast, a flying Warship for Vulkites and Bloodbound and Zeppelin for Orruks would work amazingly well in my mind. For Death obviously such design is even easier justified by a dozen orso banshee's carrying it like they do with the Necromancer engine.

One of the reasons as to why I believe 40K is also so massively popular is because of vehicles of all kinds. In this epic Age of Sigmar I think it would be very great to not only consider something similar but even improve onto it. 

Examples of epic fantasy vehicles:

macedoniansincanada-dot-com_sungod-in-ch

7989519988_c312b6b2ef.jpg

d4624c067eaeaad10f3edbcb306b7fec--darksi

sergey_tyukanov_etching_fantasy_flyingsh

august_flying_ship_by_ancientsources.jpg

So yeah, I just hope GW continues to turn up AoS to 11. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Killax said:

I really think all kinds of engines and ships could work for practically every army. It was even true for WFB, the downside of WFB was that it did require some aquatic areas to be believable but for Age of Sigmar something like that doesn't really matter.

Better put a flying chariot for Stormcast, a flying Warship for Vulkites and Bloodbound and Zeppelin for Orruks would work amazingly well in my mind. For Death obviously such design is even easier justified by a dozen orso banshee's carrying it like they do with the Necromancer engine.

One of the reasons as to why I believe 40K is also so massively popular is because of vehicles of all kinds. In this epic Age of Sigmar I think it would be very great to not only consider something similar but even improve onto it. 

Hide contents

I’ve been saying this for a while, look at how awesome beastclaw raiders are in comparison to the old ogre army.

I think aos would explode in terms of popularity if they had more beast riding armies like BCR or more armies with lots of viechles in the KO style. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I’ve been saying this for a while, look at how awesome beastclaw raiders are in comparison to the old ogre army.

I think aos would explode in terms of popularity if they had more beast riding armies like BCR or more armies with lots of viechles in the KO style. 

Yep I certainly think so too. Plus the armies who have it and have a great Allegiance also MASSIVELY turned their heads to the game. Since GH2017 Ive never seen this many Seraphon players in my local places and I have to say their bigger dinosaurs do look awesome aswell.

I think it's very easy to fall into a small to large same monster syndrome and ideally that is not how AoS evolves. I say this mainly because at some point in time it was how WFB evolved. With ungors, gors, minotaurs and Cygor/Gorghon. 

In reality though step 1 for me still is to have AoS have functional Allegiances/factions all over the place and have them blend where it makes sence. This aspect is indeed very much akin to WFB but the prime great difference that remains is that Allies are a logical and effective option for larger Allegiances and factions too.

When we then could start out with at least one vehicle per Grand Allegiance, ideally mixed with new or updated terrain I think more depth will be added to more ranges that currently make up a reason why many Order factions are so popular in the first place. A game wide teleport "thing" also doesn't hurt the game, it just adds to tactical excitement. It's one of 40k's coolest game aspects in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Killax said:

Reveal hidden contents

If they ever get around to Deadwalkers, Zombie driven Vehicles are a must, imo. Huge ramshackle constructions, filled to the brimm with Chained up Zombies doing a single monotonous task in eternity (esentially, they are binary switches, since you can turn them on or off, but they can't undertake more complex tasks). Bonus points if they are clearly just some ordinary structure uprooted and modified, like a crawling siege tower that was clearly a Windmill.

GW needs to give them something with a unrotten brain for leadership for that, but they propably already need to, somebody must have build those Fleshcarts. Really, I think they should have kept Deathmages and Deathwalkers as one faction, the fleshcart is already a blend from both and I think World-that-was style petty Necromancers belong with the Zombies.

This would have also forced the Mortis Engine into Nighthaunt along with a slight Lore rewrite, keeping another host of issues at bay. But then again, it is always easy to have a better idea as an outsider reviewing a decission long after the fact.

But yeah, AoS is really closer to a mass compatible variant of psychedelic gonzo fantasy than classic high or epic fantasy and that opens up a whole new world of potential war engines, with the surface barely scratched with the likes of the Kharadon Ironclad.

• Like 3

I don't like to sound negative and I know this is the rumour page but allot of these ideas make it sound like you want AOS  to be 40k with a different aesthetic. 

i get that AOS should be different to WHF and a chance to go nuts with design elements but can't we have SOME fantasy elements retained in the new design aesthetics. 

Each to their own but this is just my preference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blood&skulls said:

I don't like to sound negative and I know this is the rumour page but allot of these ideas make it sound like you want AOS  to be 40k with a different aesthetic. 

i get that AOS should be different to WHF and a chance to go nuts with design elements but can't we have SOME fantasy elements retained in the new design aesthetics. 

Each to their own but this is just my preference.

Meaning by "fantasy" the classic medieval themes?

I do not think one needs to fear that going away.

All the big crazy needs something to contrast with to make an impact. I do not think  anyone here is eager to see classic knight, free people facing all those terrors with nothing but guts and a blade or the simple grot with a pointy stick dissapearing into obscurity.

• Like 1

I dont want it to be 40k, pics included shouldnt give you that vibe.

What I do want is more choices that would clarify the realm to realm journeys for factions without gate acces.

Gates are cool to but ultimately vessels are cooler. As before WFB had them in lore but they couldnt really be justified to be fleshed out.

Even for Free Guilds a plastic updated Steam Tank or Steam Transports would be awesome.

15 minutes ago, Killax said:

I dont want it to be 40k, pics included shouldnt give you that vibe.

What I do want is more choices that would clarify the realm to realm journeys for factions without gate acces.

Gates are cool to but ultimately vessels are cooler. As before WFB had them in lore but they couldnt really be justified to be fleshed out.

Even for Free Guilds a plastic updated Steam Tank or Steam Transports would be awesome.

Totally agree. Steam-robot Free Guild will be a thing, i guarantee it. They'll travel around on some sort of steam-powered long distance multi-wagon vehicle. 

Destruction will get the sky pirates the books talk about. 

Death will get ghost ships. 

Surely dark elfs will get  some new floating castle like the good old days? 

Lore-wise I don't really see the importance of gates though when so many factions  can ignore them wilynilly and travel by other means. 

23 minutes ago, Malin said:

Think Nurgle would fit in nicely with nautical theme. Anyone recall Gutrot Spume and his fleet from End Times? ;)

So many fleets! ;) Even Wulfrik's whole ability to show up anywhere is narratively speaking about his ship being able to do as such.

As before WFB was really full of vessels but because there where some ties to historical fantasy designs within it they never really fleshed it out within WFB. Instead we had Dreadfleet but the cool thing about that is that it exactly gives the design (epic too) that I'd love to see fleshed out again on AoS scale.

In reality though there is absolutely nothing that has recently been spoiled which would point towards ships. There is the MP video but as mentioned on FB I don't think they intended to show that ship as a design for future releases. 

12 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Totally agree. Steam-robot Free Guild will be a thing, i guarantee it. They'll travel around on some sort of steam-powered long distance multi-wagon vehicle. 

Destruction will get the sky pirates the books talk about. 

Death will get ghost ships. 

Surely dark elfs will get  some new floating castle like the good old days? 

Lore-wise I don't really see the importance of gates though when so many factions  can ignore them wilynilly and travel by other means. 

I sure hope it will be. Again not to make it all 40K-ish but the idea of Free Guild being akin to Astra Militarum would certainly be interesting. Better put the Stormcast can't be everywhere every time. Logic, even within an epic fantasy saga, would dictate that surviving humans would indeed have the tools to muster a propper defence and based on former design the Steam Tank is probably one of the best examples of how more historical inspired humans would do it.
As a sidenote I also love the wagons they have for their Sigmar devoted, so a 'tanky' army including Free Guild is allready possible just not fleshed out the way I think makes the point come across as clear as Id like it to be.

Yeah the gates are currently only in use by Stormcast and Seraphon. This is neat but leaves the others a bit in the vague area of how they actually get from A to C. For Elven we also allready see some flying vehicles too, some WFB fans hated it but I think it's a concept that would fit AoS really well. It fits it so well even that I dare say one of the reasons as to why epic fantasy can be awesome is because everything that can fly doesn't have to be a creature ******. 

The eagle chariot, displayed below is actually something I think scales up extremely well too. Yet it was viewed as an oddity within WFB. By large again because it had some clear aspects of historical fantasy design and thus preferred some additional logic (though often not succeeding that well in the process, e.g. why Empire only build 9 Steam tanks is very unclear, money cannot be an issue if your world is war driven and full of constant dangers). 
b9b9f3878e04043d4d5f7278134b9390.jpg
More eagles should in epic fantasy theory be capable to draw larger vessels.
Eagles can be gargoyles (Dark Elves), daemons (Chaos), machines and for Orruks in particular I could even see them filling giant Squighs (dead or alive) with gasses lighter as air to become airborne.

But I'm derailing the topic at hand, sorry for that! I think if anyone wants to talk vessels we should create a new topic for it.

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, xking said:

Realmgates are used by all the races, No matter how fast your flying ship is. Trying to fly from one galaxy to another galaxy would take countless lifetimes vs say just going through a Realmgate and getting there instantly.  Unless you guys are talking about gameplay mechanics. 

The battletomes say that skaven and karadrons can nip around the realms using their wormholes / ships. 

1 minute ago, xking said:

Realmgates are used by all the races, No matter how fast your flying ship is. Trying to fly from one galaxy to another galaxy would take countless lifetimes vs say just going through a Realmgate and getting there instantly.  Unless you guys are talking about gameplay mechanics. 

What is there to keep it at gates? In reality I think a gate is probably the least interesting concept there is as it's essentially a door and for me any boat beats a door purely from a conceptual design. In addition we have information of many closed gates, would not be suprised there would be destroyed gates and this is all the while several armies are willing to conquer several different realms.

I am talking about tying narrative to gameplay mechanics. It's neat to have models appear randomly out of nowhere but visually speaking it's even neater if they are transported in my opinion. If gates are a rarity there is even need for more vessels. 

8 minutes ago, xking said:

And how would you fly from one plane of existence to  another? Also remember each realm is cosmic in size, It is ridiculous to choose to fly from the earth to mars, or even better the milky way to andromeda. When you can just go through a Realmgate and get there instantly.  Sky ships are still useful  because of the size of the AoS setting, the Realmgates are far FAR apart in distance andThere is a lot of land in between them.

I think your massively missing the point of epic fantasy if you think it's rediculours to fly from A to B while accepting a magical door can do that.

As mentioned twice now, several gates are closed or in the hands of either Chaos or Destruction. Not only would any force willing to reclaim it bottleneck itself into infinity it's bound to be a bad plan if your opponent exactly knows where your going to show up. Which in your example always would be that gate.

If you think it's impossible to create ships that cannot go from A to C eventually your missing the point in all cases :) with several races not being hindered by time such a journey is far from impossible and in fact a great plan if you intend to create a suprise attack.

Busting through someone's front door is always possible and always very predictable. This is why we usually have locks on doors and requires you to consider another less obvious route. In addition to all of that we allready have some ships in the system too.

Edited by Killax
  • Like 2

Just now, xking said:

Can they do this on a massive scale? you do know realmgates are massive in size? like several miles across. several armies and fleets can march out of them at once.

It seems you think fleets are better represented without vessel models

Just now, xking said:

Yes, but are we not talking about the AoS setting as it is now? 

Do you think a rumour thread is talking about past releases?

5 minutes ago, xking said:

Can they do this on a massive scale? you do know realmgates are massive in size? like several miles across. several armies and fleets can march out of them at once.

Actually, based on what I read, Realmgates come in different sizes (Nefereta has several within her palace), they are not all that large.  In the book Warstorm, I read last night that the Silverway  was 300 ft tall and 100 ft wide.  So, not even close to miles.  While only the Skaven can gnaw holes between realms, other factions are able to use magic/rituals/artifacts to open portals to other realms, and of course, we have now heard about secret "Skyways" or sky realmgates which the Kharadron and other flying forces can use. 

46 minutes ago, xking said:

And how would you fly from one plane of existence to  another?

First by going to Azyr. You CAN see Azyr from each realm, as stated in Pantheon, and it's essentially space and upper atmosphere to the realms. Plus there's multiple "joints" in the realms, if memory serves right, Warbest showed a place of connection to Aqshy in Ghur. And the local realmgate led to ghyran.