The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

That really sucks

You can't imagine the frustration of not being able to explore more of AoS lore when you really want to (I read english on forums but I admit that I don't have courage to take the next step by reading an entire novel).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Oh yes it is good design to punish everyone who decided to build their guys with Bolt Pistols instead of Plasma Pistols.

Good design: Not forcing players to consult spreadsheets to figure out points
Bad design: Not balancing the weapon options

A failure to properly balance the options does not make this bad design. They fail to balance weapon options constantly, and which one is good changes from edition to edition, which punishes players with the wrong loadout.
Even with my previous experience with 40k that was the case. You'd always run tankbustas with max rokkits, one edition nobs with big choppas would be good, and another power klaws would be the thing. I remember buying models with no upgrades as ablative wounds just so my fights last power klaw nobs would get a chance to fight last, the klaws were more expensive than the model itself. You play GW games long enough and you just kind of accept they're going to ****** up loadout balance constantly.
Happens in AoS too, Tzaangor used to run shields, and are now best even ignoring the special weapon options with dual blades, gore gruntas used to bring choppas, now they bring spears. There are probably hundreds of examples across tons of editions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Draznak said:

You can't imagine the frustration of not being able to explore more of AoS lore when you really want to (I read english on forums but I admit that I don't have courage to take the next step by reading an entire novel).

I have the same problem. I work in English, lived in the UK for 3 years. use English in forums, but I cannot stand with a book in English. It doesn't catch me, and the fact that GW is not translating many of the books is quite annoying.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Captaniser said:

Okay, so about the fate of Khul and Vandus in the last Dawnbringers book.

Reveal hidden contents

During the preview, the announcer said that we will also see an end to Khul's journey for the last skull he needs, namely Vandus', to ascend to Deamonhood. But he also said that their battle would end in an unexpected way, which leads me to believe that Vandus will kill Khul in the end.

But how have you come to this conclusion you might think, well here is my logic.

Khul has been on the path to Deamonhood for quite a while now. His tactical knowledge far outstrips that of even the most seasoned generals, he even had a Dawnbringers story about himself and the visions his chief shaman has, where he sees Khul with wings and a tail, typical Deamon stuff.

Vandus has also been losing his mind in the narrative, to the point where he has to be locked up in a basement when he isn't leading the hammers of Sigmar, also he has become obsessed with finding Khul and righting a wrong generations in the making.

Now, many of us thought that an Ascended Khul model would be coming with the last installment in the Dawnbringer narrative, but we are only getting Abraxia, kinda weird to be missing one of the more prominent chaos characters during a book all about chaos where they are also featured, right?

Now all of this information makes it seem like the deck is stacked against poor Vandus as if he is fated to fall and be little less than the sacrificial lamb for whom Khul can use for his triumph, but what if a certain someone were to interfere? "wink wink" nudge nudge"

So I guess that GW is pulling a fast one on us and making it look like Khul will win, but somehow Vandus triumphs in the end, Khul is killed and his model will be renamed to Mighty lord of Khorne for good and Vandus will get a shiny new Ruination chamber model.

Or maybe GW simply thinks that the audience by default thinks that the Stormcast will win, but Khul actually wins and gets a new model when BT: Blades of Khorne releases.

Maybe Khorne ascends him to daemonhood anyway with a smirk and a great jest played. It wasn't Vandus' skull he needed, it was is own. The laughing of the Gods echoes into eternity as Khul's headless body ascends to daemonhood 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vaellas said:

True but wasn't the rumour that Vandus was going to be dead for good?

Vandus is Khuls next target for his skull pyramid and has prophesied he will become a lightning gheist when he reforged. I fully believe Vandus will be the first stormcast lightning gheist in a dreadnought type thing. 

If so it will be really cool seeing a character progress like that after being in the 1st starter set

5 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Maybe Khorne ascends him to daemonhood anyway with a smirk and a great jest played. It wasn't Vandus' skull he needed, it was is own. The laughing of the Gods echoes into eternity as Khul's headless body ascends to daemonhood 😁

From what I understand I don't think you can be ascended post mortem, at least that's how It worked in the books i read, and it was mostly 40k books

6 minutes ago, Damosane2 said:

If so it will be really cool seeing a character progress like that after being in the 1st starter set

Nobody wants 1st starter set character progression. Have you learned nothing?!

eltharionblind.jpg.448c669d917a7e3b9e2f752846a3ed86.jpg

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Nobody wants 1st starter set character progression. Have you learned nothing?!

eltharionblind.jpg.448c669d917a7e3b9e2f752846a3ed86.jpg

I mean he did lose a LOT of weight but he got some cool armour and an extra sword 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Matrindur said:

We don't really need Judicators since their bow build was soft replaced by Vigilors and their crossbow version is kinda represented by Vanguard Raptors. The only point against them going away I can see is that we have a Knight-Judicator (Which already surprised me back when he was revealed)

Judicators definitely still have a place as full ranged support. Vigilors are melee-ranged hybrid skirmishers, and they buff other ranged units. i'm thinking like this:

Knight-Judicator

1x judis

1x vigilors

Sounds like the perfect ranged detachment/regiment to me! Judicators are more like siegebows than regular longbows. Vigilor arrows aren't nearly as large as Judis'.

8 hours ago, Matrindur said:

the three Paladin flavors which could be getting replaced by the Ruinators and the Prosecutors which are getting replaced.
The Dracothian Guard and Stardrakes are the only ones without a replacement. Stormdrake Guard are kinda the spiritual successor to the Dracothian Guard,

these I agree are absolutely more up in the air than the battleline units. out of all the paladins, I can see Protectors staying since they have giant glaives and are specifically anti-monster.

7 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

The overall consensus in the Spanish wiki is that it would be a new non-named city created purely for the plot, like Forjaglymm or Amberstone.

i could also see that, since hopefully GW doesn't want to destroy TOO much. the area i circled touches Hammerhal, Embergard, Anvilgard, and Hallowheart--so it gives GW the room to include enough Cities to feel like a major threat, instead of an impossible tidal wave against 1-2 cities.

48 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Power level, or points how we have them in aos, were always better design. I was happy at this change but I don't play 40k much. Weird that good design was one of the things that pissed people off the most. Hopefully the AoS community gets upset at something that is bad rather than good if we do.

I find this afirmation quite controversial. A lot of players that I know that went from AoS to ToW did so because of rule customisation. And it's, in fact, one of the main complaints about 10th ed, the fact that a boltgun and a plasma gun cost the same is just ludicrous game designing.

Also, I allways see these "9th ed was confusing" complaints, but as long as I can remember from my group of friends, the latest year of 9th ed was a blast. But maybe we're in the minority.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 1

Just now, Garrac said:

I find this afirmation quite controversial. A lot of players that I know went from AoS to ToW did so because of rule customisation. And it's, in fact, one of the main complaints about 10th ed, the fact that a boltgun and a plasma gun cost the same is just ludicrious game designing.

Also, I allways see these "9th ed was confusing" complaints, but as long as I can remember from my group of friends, the latest year of 9th ed was a blast. But maybe we're in the minority.

It depends how much you play and what mental space you can proportion to it. I play Magic more than 40k so my mind space is more dedicated to remembering how weird old keywords interact in that instead of some of the rules of 40k. If it switched around I'd learn more 40k but I just don't. That said I don't think 10th fixed that issue. Points were never a major issue for me.

7 minutes ago, Sealven said:

I just got an email from Warhammer with some art I hadn't seen before.

Screenshot_20240322-094032.png.7000ec5a5d07e76ef2c7028df2517f9f.pngScreenshot_20240322-094058.png.9813b5342d32e65ae70c8fba50d6326d.pngScreenshot_20240322-094114.png.d71779ed0f2e541cb23cfb6dc80e2a3b.png

Looks like new Stormvermin are on the way

Stormvermin tend to have more armour on legs/arms and halberds. For what I see on the art, these guys are wearing spears, which could imply that the box will have clanrats with swords (featured on the trailers) and spears (here)?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sealven said:

Screenshot_20240322-094032.png.7000ec5a5d07e76ef2c7028df2517f9f.pngScreenshot_20240322-094058.png.9813b5342d32e65ae70c8fba50d6326d.pngScreenshot_20240322-094114.png.d71779ed0f2e541cb23cfb6dc80e2a3b.png

Cool art but not a fan of the new liberator helms really, we'll have to wait and see how the minis look

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Stormvermin tend to have more armour on legs/arms and halberds. 

I'm curious to see how stormvermins will turn out. I'm hoping there'll be more of an elite feel (even if they're only rats, after all ^^) than in the current kit.

Just now, Draznak said:

I'm curious to see how stormvermins will turn out. I'm hoping there'll be more of an elite feel (even if they're only rats, after all ^^) than in the current kit.

If there's clanrats with spears on the kit that would sum it up in 20 clanrats with swords and shields + 20 clanrats with spears and shields (no way the limit is going any lower) not leaving room for stormvermin (not saying they won't come on the actual skaven wave, tho)

For the design, I don't expect a lot of changes, just same plain ol' stormvermins with more monoposy kits to avoid all the kitbashing that skaven players have been doing with them for the last 14 years.

Khul gets beheaded by Abraxia after he descends because nothing makes your antagonist look more threatening than if they kill the last antagonist 

EDIT : Also at what point does Be’Lakor just give up? Vashtorr is now doing his thing in 40K and stole a big scary teleport engine and a large rat became a Chaos God before he did. He finds a way to mess with the immortal lightning warriors who end up becoming Primaris Marines instead. Abraxia is Chaos’s 2nd favourite child now. 

Edited by RollSixxess
To make sure everyone is aware of how sad Bel’Akor is rn

6 minutes ago, Garrac said:

I find this afirmation quite controversial. A lot of players that I know that went from AoS to ToW did so because of rule customisation. And it's, in fact, one of the main complaints about 10th ed, the fact that a boltgun and a plasma gun cost the same is just ludicrous game designing.

A unit being the same cost is regardless of weapon options, with the options balanced against each other is good design.
If one of the options somehow changes the units role entirely, IE from an anvil to a ranged hammer you should probably have a different entry entirely to point it appropriately, and to make things clearer to the players.
The complaint that "A boltgun and Plasma gun costing the same is ludicrous" is not a game design argument. Its a verisimilitude argument. The only reason its a problem is because the narrative says plasma guns are better than boltguns. There's no reason a plasma gun couldn't be 1 high AP/STR shot, and the boltgun would get enough low AP/STR shots to be comparable. Maybe the meta favors high AP stuff, but its not impossible to have them be roughly comparable.
Customization of troops to that level just isn't impactful enough to the game as a whole to bother with the complexity. I understand some people enjoy the quartermaster simulator aspects, but its a lot of overhead the game doesn't need.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Stormvermin tend to have more armour on legs/arms and halberds. For what I see on the art, these guys are wearing spears, which could imply that the box will have clanrats with swords (featured on the trailers) and spears (here)?

Well, well, look that like. Seems like meat is back on the grinder, guys

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The complaint that "A boltgun and Plasma gun costing the same is ludicrous" is not a game design argument. Its a verisimilitude argument. The only reason its a problem is because the narrative says plasma guns are better than boltguns.

So you're literally saying narrative shouldn't matter in terms of game design. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sealven said:

This looks like cash grab mobile game art. I know it's not but geez is that a step-down in art quality.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2