The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, pitzok said:

There's been removal of units from the Index in the Codex already in 40k, so I guess a slot in the Index isn't really a sign that the unit is safe.

It does mean the models have support in the next edition. I dont do tournament play, so thats enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't dare to imagine what a 350 points swing for those two factions might look like, haha.

And yet, if they were to be featured in a Combat Patrol kind of format, the internal rules might be independednt from the main AoS points values in order to balance them more or less equally against each other.

It's still all a big IF, of course, but if not then what was the point of rebranding the Vanguard boxes?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

FEC has a problem. The army box released all the new units. Apart from that it is all new heroes. What can you add to the spearhead then? It has to be the same, unless you go into older stuff, which has been in vanguard, combat patrol, battleforces and all the other trillion different names for almost 9 years.

But I imagine that these really aren't for people that have been in the army for 9 years, and FEC didn't have a vanguard box before, the only real box they had that wasn't a limited run was a start collecting box with a unit of ghouls that is illegal to run now. I was hoping for it to be a more equal spread of new and old.

4 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

And yet, if they were to be featured in a Combat Patrol kind of format, the internal rules might be independednt from the main AoS points values in order to balance them more or less equally against each other.

It's still all a big IF, of course, but if not then what was the point of rebranding the Vanguard boxes?

I think they just change the name of their intro bundles every few years for marketing purposes. It's not like the switch from Start Collecting to Vanguard was very well justified.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Are these spearhead boxes really that different from a vanguard? Seems the same to me.

And how do you compare? So far all three armies that have the Spearhead box announced, never had a Vanguard box, while their Start Collecting! ones were immensly different. 

Just now, Grungnisson said:

And how do you compare? So far all three armies that have the Spearhead box announced, never had a Vanguard box, while their Start Collecting! ones were immensly different. 

Most vanguard also have 3 units and a hero. Not comparing start collecting boxes, they are very different from vanguards.

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think they just change the name of their intro bundles every few years for marketing purposes. It's not like the switch from Start Collecting to Vanguard was very well justified.

On average they did make them bigger. Also, since I can't see one myself, please do explain to me the marketing benefit of changing of an established and recognisable branding that people are used to and that still proves sucessful as a buying format.

I kind of wish the FEC box had a different hero in it (selfishly as I already own the Archregent) but honestly both boxes are fine in terms of getting started with the army, the value spread is a little weird but if they do produce balanced rules for the format like Combat Patrol is getting then it should balance out

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

On average they did make them bigger. Also, since I can't see one myself, please do explain to me the marketing benefit of changing of an established and recognisable branding that people are used to and that still proves sucessful as a buying format.

I would guess the reasoning is that a new box with new branding is immediately recognizable as a new product to customers who don't follow these developments closely. Like, "These are the new boxes for the new edition".

But we may very well still see a Vanguard format, in any case. I personally hope so, AoS needs a way to play the game with preconstructed lists for new players. Hopefully one that actually plays well, too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Then why change the branding?

Yeah thats what i am wondering too XD. Might be so that these can be used for 4th edition and not all vanguards might contain fully supported models? I guess its to avoid that things will be unclear to some people in the future.

Edited by Gitzdee

Tbh those boxes are for new players not for us with already existed forces. If you are looking from that standpoint they both give great stsrting army for new player which can be expanded with single unit boxes later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

What does that mean, something like extra format-specific allegiance abilities for each box?

They also restrict certain Combat Patrols from using all the units in the box I believe (Grey Knights is the one example I'm aware of) so presumably could use that as a balancing lever if the Stormcast one ends up larger than most.

• Like 1

I think it would be awesome if we get a half size table (750-1000 points) format that is fully supported with battlescrolls and everything. 1 hero 3 units (2 battleline it seems like?). It would be easy marketing. Buy this type of box and u are ready to go and play on this size table. Maybe even put out terrain boxes for smaller tables with setup cards like Warcry.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

The new White Dwarf has

Spoiler

the Lady of Ruin in it i think. She is the Marshall of the Varanspire. She is hunting belakors traitors. She sent the Harbringers of decay to Hammerhal, and now she is coming to finish the job. She has a Lance weapon that turns people into spawn

Edited by Augusto
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

14 minutes ago, Augusto said:

In the new White Dwarf has

Reveal hidden contents

the Lady of Ruin in it i think. She is the Marshall of the Varanspire. She is hunting belakors traitors. She sent the Harbringers of decay to Hammerhal, and now she is coming to finish the job. She has a Lance weapon that turns people into spawn

image.png.6e61e8c2be918c1e11a645224f958686.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

47 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Yeah thats what i am wondering too XD. Might be so that these can be used for 4th edition and not all vanguards might contain fully supported models? I guess its to avoid that things will be unclear to some people in the future.

The contents of Start Collecting boxes in a few cases were changing, plus some armies had more than one. So I still think they could just reshuffle the contents without changing the name.

44 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

To increase the price.

I don't see the point. The Vanguard boxes, while going up in price, also had a bigger content than the Start Collecting. So if the content of Vanguard and Spearhead are roughly comparable, they could just announce a price increase, as they openly do on many other occasions.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:26 PM, Grunbag said:

With the same logic my guess for IJ vanguard

megaboss 

3 gore grunta 

5 brutes or 3 ragerz 

10 ardboyz 

and for COS

Freeguild Marshall or Freeguild Marshall cavalier 

ironweld Great canon 

Freeguild Cavaliers or Freeguild Fusiliers 

Freeguild Steelhelm 

My guess was right about COS , so I hope I had same luck with IJ now