AOS 2: Clan Eshin Discussion

Magnus The Blue

Seems overdue to have a dedicated Eshin thread.  The new book bring with it more ways to kill-kill.  I'm not an expert by any means, but here is my first bash at a list.

Verminlord Warpseer: General (master of magic), Aetherquartz broach.  

Verminlord Deceiver

Deathmaster: Warpweeper Stars

Sniktalon Battalion: (

Deathmaster

3 * 40 Nightrunners

2 * 5 Gutter runners )

Warp Lightening Vortex

Soulsnare Shackles

2000 points on the nose.

The idea is to use magic and the hard to kill Warpseer (hopefully Skitterleaped into the heart of the enemy turn one) to  lock down a large portion of the enemies army, so it take be taken apart piecemeal.  Obvious combo of Sniktalon and Verminlord deceiver's command ability to get rerolls to hit and would for a large section of the army.  Will probably struggle with very fast armies like beasts and Khorne who can quickly bring their forces to bear but should make a game of most matchups.

Thoughts/comments welcomed.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Anyone else thinking of a pure Eshin force?

I sadly only own 50nightrunners/gutterunners.

pure Eshin is definitely fun, I have tried some combinations out in 1000poin games, although for bigger scales I’m not really amused buying another 40-60 very bad and goofy looking monkey rats.

converting things is probably the next best option but 40-60rats just seems to be too much of a hassle to convert for me.

as for my 1000p list, I’ve played 

a Verminlord deceiver

an assasin, 2x20gutterrunners and a unit of jezzails as allies (yes allies it has been a while since I last used them) still I had some great time playing them and since you’re now able to take Thanqoul it’ll be probably much much better.

39 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I sadly only own 50nightrunners/gutterunners.

pure Eshin is definitely fun, I have tried some combinations out in 1000poin games, although for bigger scales I’m not really amused buying another 40-60 very bad and goofy looking monkey rats.

converting things is probably the next best option but 40-60rats just seems to be too much of a hassle to convert for me.

as for my 1000p list, I’ve played 

a Verminlord deceiver

an assasin, 2x20gutterrunners and a unit of jezzails as allies (yes allies it has been a while since I last used them) still I had some great time playing them and since you’re now able to take Thanqoul it’ll be probably much much better.

Yeah, I don't like those models either, thinking of using plague monks with some weapon swaps and a nice dark paint jobs for night runners and maybe some of the blood bowl models for gutter runners.

• 3 months later...

I'm happy to see someone did start a pure Clans Eshin discussion!  I decided for now to go pure Eshin for my Skaventide.  Always had great results with my Gutter Runners in generic Chaos armies before the battletome, so I have gathered 4x20 of them, and 2x10 Night Runners for the Slinktalon.  Also went with a Warpseer and Deceiver, but will try 100% pure Eshin at some point with an extra Deathmaster and maybe 2 Slinktalons for an extra relic/CP if I get more Night Runners.

My thing with Eshin is that Nightrunners seem so bad, I can't not run masses of Gutter Runners.  Even for twice the points they kill more than twice as much with the better hitting and wounding for both shooting and combat, plus more shots and more attacks, and the rend -1.  The outflanking is a really awesome bonus too.

I have only tried them at 1000 points but went 3/2 at the Adepticon Vanguard tournament in March, and was pretty happy.   Idoneth with 2 units of eels and Bonesplitterz beat me, but Bonesplitterz was really close!  Looking forward to trying them out at 2000 points soon.

Not sure I would use the Eshin relics though; I'm a huge fan of Aqshy's Ignax's Scales and Thermalrider Cloak for my two Verminlords, respectively, and for most of my armies.   Anyone try the Eshin once per battle artefacts yet with good success?  An Ulgu Sword of Judgement on a Deathmaster with fighting claws though, that would be pretty nice; also if he was the general to target an important enemy hero for the reroll hits trait, but that's only against a single enemy hero,  so kinda meh there probably.

• Like 1

I played pure eshin at element games 1 dayer and went 2 and 1

Nothing better than Ninja Rats

I had this

Thanquol

Deciever with shadow magic trinket

Deathmaster with betrayers crown

40x Night runnners

10x Night Runners

2x 20 Gutter runners

slinktalon

warp-lightning vortex

cant remember list exactly but this was the core.

wish I had cogs and a warpseer was takeaway. Great fun. And very lethal first turn!

• Like 2

Ooh Thanquol!  Interesting.  He can't be Dreaded Skitterleaped though cuz he's over 12 wounds.  What loadout did you give him, 2 and 2, or all flamers or all fists?

I was wondering if Skreech Verminking would be good for a general too.  Warpseer certainly is, I've used him at 1K points.

40 Night Runners, eesh, I really don't wanna paint more of those!  But we do get a big bonus of hits/wounds/bravery for that many in a unit.  Better than 20 Gutter Runners?

How did you find the Slinktalon?  Worth it?  Seems worth it.

I'll have to find the Betrayers Crown to see what that does.  I like the idea of the Deathmaster though, hiding until it's the right time to strike.

I am waiting for new nightrunner kits to be released. Some of conversion work is possible and doable, but it's hard to do it below 50$/10 when you add up all the costs of bits, etc . I really hope GW finally gets incredibly ashames of their nightrunners and gives us a new kit. I think it would be fine if they were made from re-used assets from shadespire skaven with different weapons, but similar poses. Easy for production and looks amazing. We really need new sculpts.

Yeah, I think the Nightrunners are the ones many folks call 'monkey rats'.  The Clan Rats look decent don't they?  I think the best approach for them would be a Clan Rat/Night Runner kit, as they're pretty similar aside from the weapons/icons.  Plague Monks have their own rotting robe stuff, and Stormvermin are more armored and differently armed.

I have 80 of the old metal Gutter Runners.   All of those actually look pretty good.  It's so tough to say if many of the AoS units will ever get new plastic models.   I am pleased they at least get rules so they aren't banished to the shelf!

Weird though they made the Death Runner for Silver Tower, have a great plastic model(s) and then don't put it in the battletome?  Ogroid Thermalturd made it into the Tzeentch book!

Thanquol is great 4xwarpfire projectors all the way. He is there for his reliable spell casting and his three free command abilites.

gutter runners are better than night runners but with slink talon I'm going first, use pre game move with night runners, then run them to opponents objectives, with cogs you could easily burn all their objectives turn 1 in better part of valour and in border war take their objective.

My gutter runners are blood bowl guys converted running through trees like naruto.

Betrayers crown does things to unita at beginning of combat phase and your assassin pops out then too so great counter unit anywhere you want!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bank-C said:

4xwarpfire projectors all the way.

Wholeheartedly disagree on that. Often times that will be overkill and any decent player getting a horde unit that close to him will likely ensure that he dies before he gets a chance to properly utilize the warpfire.

The best setup for Thanquol is 50/50 most of the time as this will let him have some CC capability as well, particularly against Elite\Hero units.. which is what your opponent should be charging into him, especially if he brings 4 Warpfire, IE: Easy Target.

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I was wondering if Skreech Verminking would be good for a general too.  Warpseer certainly is, I've used him at 1K points.

How did you find the Slinktalon?  Worth it?  Seems worth it.

Warpseer 100% of the time if you're playing competitively. Skreech just isn't that great by comparison. As for Slinktalon, I would almost say it's an auto-include if you're running pure Eshin.. I typically take minimum Night Runners and max out Gutter Runners no matter the setup. Night Runners are good for early game objective grabbing\holding with their pre-game movement. Gutter Runners overall bring more CC\Shooting potential with a smaller footprint.. the T1 Deepstrike is dependent on setup.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

Cool, feels like I'm on the right track then.  If I can get my 20 Night Runners and next 20 Gutter Runners painted by the 28th, I'll use Eshin at a 3 game local tournament on the 29th.  Should I take the Warp Lightning Vortex and Shackles?  Or should I take the Vermintide and Doombell instead?  I've used the Vermintide, which is okay and somewhat useful.  Not sure about that bell yet.  Shackles I've screwed myself over before too many times, but coupled with Warpgale on the Warpseer and the big Vortex, that could keep people in the electric field for a very long time.   

@Lord Krungharr If you can fit in WLV + Shackles (or even just the WLV on its own) then I would everytime. Typically I try to run WLV + Vermintide as it's a good blocker that puts out more MW's than Shackles.

Warpgale + WLV + Shackles is the "standard" rat trap.. it gets even better when you throw in a regular Warpgale on top of the Dreaded on as they stack, or allows you to get it onto 2 units and keep them in.

• Like 1

Using my all Clan Eshin this coming Saturday !  2k points.  I have the Warpseer as general with master of magic, the deceiver, a deathmaster in a skinktalon with 2x10 night runners and 4x20 gutter runners, and all the Skaven spells.   I’ll see if the shackles fit too but I think they cost more points now.  

What relics should I take?   I could go suspicious Stone and ignax scales for durability on the verminlords.   Or I could go sword of judgement and dimensional blade for the deathmaster and the Warpseer for more deadly weapons.   

I could go ninja and use the cube of mists and shadow magnet trinket for the deathmaster and deceiver.   Really hate that one use limitation though. 

Hmmmmm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did it go?

Going to try this list soon, the more I play the more I think eshin need first turn!

warpseer with master of magic, suspicious stone

Deciever

Deathmaster with cube of mists

40x Night Runners

20x Night Runners

2x 20 Gutter Runners

2x 5 Gutter Runners

SlinkTalon

Warp-Lightning Vortex

Vermintide (Big Base to use with Vortex for blocking movement if the opponent gets double)

Chronomatic Cogs

Basic idea is to kill Characters as soon as possible with running and shooting, mitigate double turn with cube of mists and tagging with warpseer. Then hopefully survive enough to win!

• 3 weeks later...

I was dum and decided to try out my Beasts of Khorne instead......and lost every game.....including to two other Khorne armies!  The Horned Rat was displeased with me.  Beasts are almost all sold now; just not a fun army to play for me for some reason.

Next time I'll use Eshin.  I agree, having first turn and being able to take out the supporting heroes seems to be a great potential advantage.  I hadn't thought of taking Cogs but getting some Gutter Runner charges from outflanking would be super awesome.  They do very well in the first round of combat, not so much a second round.

Cube of Mists is very interesting.  Still I find myself rooting for the Deathmaster to unleash a potent Sword of Judgement attack.

I think your masses of pre-game movement with the Night Runners is an excellent idea.  If I have excesses of time I might give that a try too.  With the points increase for the Warpseer I can still fit my 80 Gutter Runners, but only the WLV and Vermintide.  

Had a battle vs Nighthaunts last night, Focal Points at 2K.  No Realm though.

I had Warpseer/Deceiver/Slinktalon 2x10 Nightrunners, 4x20 Gutter Runners/WLV/Vermintide/Shackles

He had Reiknor, Oleander, some lantern and key-shackle ghosts, massive unit of chainrasps and scythe-gheists, 10 blade gheists, 6 spirithosts, and Purple Sun and allied Vampire Lord.

I deployed first and took first turn, taking the center before the turn with the Night Runners, holding my  back 2 objectives with Gutters, outflanking 1 unit in his backfield, and remembering he was going to deepstrike his scythes in my zone so brought in another unit of Gutters in my backfield.  I Gnawholed my Deceiver and Warpseer for turn 2 positioning.  Managed to kill Oleander (nominated for assassination).  

Eventually I killed Reiknor turn 2, and his Vampire Lord fell to my DeathMaster w Sword of Judgement (but just barely).  After that epic top of turn 2, all my rats fell hard.  Only managed to get my WLV off turn 2 and killed a few chainrasps and all the blade gheists.  He unbound all but 2 Warpgales, or I just flopped the rolls.  But he also flopped his casting big time.  

I realized the Sword of Judgement only works on heroes and monsters, so perhaps not the best all around, but for an assassin a useful tool.  Also tumbled that it's best to reveal the DeathMaster on one's own turn if he's got the Sword, then he can strike first.  But perhaps for the Cube of Mists, it would be useful to unveil him in the enemy's combat phase to prevent those pesky Scythe-gheists from piling in to reap my corn.

Deceiver was soooo meh.  He just can't kill much of anything, of course Nighthaunt doesn't care how sharp our blades are.  Doomstar is too crappy, it needs to do a flat damage or boomerang into multiple units or be a point a do D3 mortals or something.   It's called a DOOMSTAR.  I'm almost thinking it would be better to omit him next time and take another Deathmaster or two.  OR take 2 Slinktalons and 2 Deceivers and give them artefacts instead, as similar to Troggbosses, they shine so much shinier with artefacts.

Another option is to change Deceiver and the Shackles for some mercenary Blood Knights and Vampire Lord.  They provide some resilience and speed combat punch.  Losing a CP is not that big of a deal with a Warpseer as General.  I like him for the wizardry and command ability and resilient pest factor (with the suspicious stone and scry-orb).

I think vs armies that don't ignore rend, or have universal ward saves, they can still do well.  But also they take some skillful deployment and rememberance of the tricks.  Mixed Skaventide is certainly stronger than pure Eshin, but.....ninjas.

Also, I need some movement trays!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think for a mixed Skaven army it’s better to have one big unit of night runners.   The night runners at 40 models are cheap and as good as clan rats I think.  Plus they have that pregame move helping to grab objectives earlier.  

The gutters can outflank and maybe assassinate a vulnerable hero, though other Skaven shooting is far better for longer game duration.  They require close support to do much I’ve found, and fold very quickly when not in Warpseer antibattleshock bubble range.    

Im eager to try Eshin our in a Meeting Engagement game. I think they could do very well in that format.   

And so, I took my faithful ninja rats to the grand tournament grand final at Warhammer World and came 13th with game scores only (The Horned Rat approved of this position)16th overall with sports votes.

I went 4-2 and did all the hidden agendas. Happy with the Eshin. Don’t give in with the better clan yes-yes.

Highlight was doing 19 mortal wounds to an exalted greater demon with my fightingclaw sword of judgement wielding assassin. Here is the rat squaring up his victim.

595F619B-E8AA-4E8A-A67D-417BA9D2B826.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bank-C said:

And so, I took my faithful ninja rats to the grand tournament grand final at Warhammer World and came 13th with game scores only (The Horned Rat approved of this position)16th overall with sports votes.

I went 4-2 and did all the hidden agendas. Happy with the Eshin. Don’t give in with the better clan yes-yes.

Highlight was doing 19 mortal wounds to an exalted greater demon with my fightingclaw sword of judgement wielding assassin. Here is the rat squaring up his victim.

595F619B-E8AA-4E8A-A67D-417BA9D2B826.jpeg

Awesome stuff. What list were you running?