Armies without Summons?

Damian

11 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

Not that I'm rich.  I sell my armies on ebay or the local buy sell group and that funds a lot of my hobby.

My local hobby shop buys and sells used models, so between that and the local buy/sell group building my armies on the cheap has been easy and swapping out units I start to dislike isn't so bad. There's always some death models floating around here due too the abundance of players and chaos marines are a dime a dozen. Just a shame tau stuff is harder to come by wit me and the 4 other players buying up anything decent that pops up. Kinda wish slaanesh had a little more love, I can't find slaanesh stuff anywhere in my local area.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

Thats likely because no one plays slaanesh.  Once slaanesh gets a book and if they are competitively viable a lot of people will buy it, and when they get nerfed, you'll see a lot of slaanesh for sale.

Saw that happen with tau, after the codex nerfed commander spam I managed to get a couple of commanders for cheap. 

5 hours ago, prochuvi said:

Yes agree with you,in top 15 we have as 10 or more armys that sumons.

It was easy to see that free sumon was going to umbalance all,and it have done it.

Best example this last lvo won by fec with dragon spam sumoning as 700 free points of units.

Every dwarf army havent sumon and due to thos they are useless this edition.

Dispossesed have 30% win rate,fyreslayers are botton also but have some as 45% win rate,kharadron are botton also with 35% or so

Dark elfs and high elfs havent sumon also,but order draconis and phoenyx temple are pretty good and can put a figth vs sumons amys

Please what? Dispossessed lose because they are the slowest army in the game (ever tried to hold objectives you can‘t reach?)

Summoning so far was just fun, nothing else. The only summonings that needs a nerf is LoN which should bring back half of the unit instead (like the loonshrine does), Same for Hammers of Sigmar.

11 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Please what? Dispossessed lose because they are the slowest army in the game (ever tried to hold objectives you can‘t reach?)

Summoning so far was just fun, nothing else. The only summonings that needs a nerf is LoN which should bring back half of the unit instead (like the loonshrine does), Same for Hammers of Sigmar.

I can see the argument here as a LoN player. I usually only get to revive half a unit anyways due to clever enemy positioning but I mean hey 20 skeletons can still do something.

Just now, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I can see the argument here as a LoN player. I usually only get to revive half a unit anyways due to clever enemy positioning but I mean hey 20 skeletons can still do something.

Agreed. Also it seems more fair that spawning another 40 Skellies (I am also a LoN player )

8 hours ago, Damian said:

Well, we are all relatively new players and still learning, just seems LoN (abilities and spells) outclass the rest of our armies making playing against them unfun.

In the group we have Stormcast, Kharadon Overloads, Skaven (who's very excited for the new battletome), Beastmen, Ironjaws and i'm on the lookout for a new army (as I was into Space marines for a time).

I was thinking of DoK, as I just love the Snake women models (best in the game imho) but also been told by my local game store manager that the Melusai snake women are not competitive and that you need to use only Wych aeves to be competitive (which i'm not bothered about) and that the whole army will get nerfed into oblivion soon, so avoid at all costs, which sounded crazy when I see how powerful LoN are .

Your manager has confused "overpowered" with "competitive" and I say this as a DoK player. Melusai are great just not autopilot. I run one unit of Witchelves the rest are Melusai for my battleline. Plus unless you are playing in a competitive tournament worrying about "optimal" choices us usually overkill. Most people enjoy taking models they like.

2 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Agreed. Also it seems more fair that spawning another 40 Skellies (I am also a LoN player )

Little out of place but I played a LoN player recently. Tried to bring back a unit of 20 grimghasts but due to my positioning he could only fit 4 models in a space. we decided he was unable to summon anything. Did we play that right? In order to summon must it be the entire unit you are trying to revive or can you revive part of a  unit? Furthermore can it be an obtuse number like 4 models in a 10 model minimum unit?

31 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Little out of place but I played a LoN player recently. Tried to bring back a unit of 20 grimghasts but due to my positioning he could only fit 4 models in a space. we decided he was unable to summon anything. Did we play that right? In order to summon must it be the entire unit you are trying to revive or can you revive part of a  unit? Furthermore can it be an obtuse number like 4 models in a 10 model minimum unit?

I dont know the exact wording of the LoN ability but normally models that can't be placed are slain (see Kharadron Skyfarers leaving a destroyed sky vessel) 

5 hours ago, Black Blade said:

It's however many you can fit into the space, any remaining models are basically considered to be spawn killed.

10 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Doesn't hammer of sigmar need to spend cp and then succeed at 5+roll?

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Yes. Yet getting 10+ Sequitors back will most often guarantee a victory.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of balancing summoning with randomness. I feel like it just creates feel bad experiences either for the player who just wasted a command point or the player who now has to deal with their opponent getting 300+ points of free stuff for 1 command point. It would be far better just to set a limit as to what it can revive (number or type of models).

I think when it comes to bonus points (summoning, recursion, whatever you want to call it) that you cannot also have balance.  You just have to accept that it is what it is intentionally and be happy with that.  Its all a matter of perspective.  

A feel bad experience is largely due to expectations.  If you go into the game knowing it can happen then you have to find a way to be ok with it.  The designers are making these choices intentionally and they are largely backed by the fans of the system.

1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

I think when it comes to bonus points (summoning, recursion, whatever you want to call it) that you cannot also have balance.  You just have to accept that it is what it is intentionally and be happy with that.  Its all a matter of perspective.  

A feel bad experience is largely due to expectations.  If you go into the game knowing it can happen then you have to find a way to be ok with it.  The designers are making these choices intentionally and they are largely backed by the fans of the system.

I agree and overall like the different summoning methods.

I have had games where I take out all of the LoN's heros and crushed them and games where my army gets crushed by a blob of skeletons that keep coming back to full numbers.

I recently played agains slaanesh with my troggoth army and would have easily tabled them without summoning which was frustrating but I realized that having only multi wound models ment that my opponent racked up the depravity. I feel like slaanesh list will struggle more against hordes of single wound models.

Even though all summoning methods have counters, not every army has them and it can be frustrating to face if you are not prepared.

Following the Warhammer 40k trend, I am fairly certain there will be fraction with a Command Ability that will immediately negate the activation of the opponent's Command Ability. This is definitely going to wreck havoc for any summoning armies.

The problem with LoN is not summoning back an entire blob but the constant regeneration of like 5xD3 models every turn from nearby graveyards and hero's ability.

Archived