Going to play first game on Wednesday!!!

So I am excited to get to go play my first Warhammer AOS table top game on Wednesday, and although I was originally going to play Ironjawz simply because I love Orruks and Grots and love the idea of playing the "biggest and baddest", I have ultimately decided to play the greenskinz as I hear they are a bit more complex in their gameplay and from a lore perspective a bit more open to grots being present.  

I bought the starter greenskinz kit and putting it together in order to get ready to take to play my first game.  I have never played a table top game before but I love the Warhammer universe and really excited to have my boiz pick up some stuff and bash my enemies.  Any tips or tricks to give me on how to play the greenskinz?  I notice they have more shields in their kit than the Ironjawz which I like as I have always liked "tanky" orruks, especially from the Warhammer Online days.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stack your command points for insane amounts of WAAGH when you get everyone in.  I built mine with weapons in each hand to get the re-rolls of one to hit, and I regret that, though it does make that command point beatdown go even better.   I think using shields would be better to keep them fighting longer as you get to re-roll ALL failed saves if you have shields.  I use the chariot to lock down what's needed (against a comparable start collecting army) as it is pretty cheap for wounds, has a decent save and takes up a lot of real estate.  I recommend to build the warboss on pig with a shield and boss choppa, and the one on foot with the banner.  

Yep I have one with the banner made already but when I make the warboss o the pig ill put a shield on em.  I think ill have a couple with 2 weapons but for the most part I would love to see a wall of shields and tanky orruks going at my enemy.   

One day ill add some grots and squigs into the fray as well.

From a lore perspective are you or anyone else able to tell me the difference between Greenskinz and Ironjawz? 

Print out your warscrolls you will be using (photocopy or download from the website) it's much easier to use them as separate sheets of paper then constantly be  flipping through the book or in the app.    

Make a cheat sheet of things you have to remember i.e.

Hero Phase:
Cast X spell with A (and maybe list spells and casting roll) 

Activate Y command ability with models B or C

Movement Phase

Remember Unit E can move/run an extra ___  if this happens

Shooting - 

Grots  range X

Combat 

Bonus attacks for unit F if ___ condition is met

That kind of one pager can be helpful so you aren't flipping (adjust details to meet your needs) 

33 minutes ago, MoolkBiggestOrruk said:

From a lore perspective are you or anyone else able to tell me the difference between Greenskinz and Ironjawz? 

The way I understand it is...

Ironjawz - the biggest, hardest, armoured orkiest of orks. Kind of like what happens when you take a race of creatures that lives for fighting and then dump a bucket of chaos all over their lands so they spend 500 years levelling up.

Bonesplitterz - more primitive, wild orks. more in tune with the intrinsic spirit of orkishness. hunt big monsters, lots of shamans channelling waaaagh energy etc etc

Greenskinz - whatever's left over from the old WHFB orks.

58 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Print out your warscrolls you will be using (photocopy or download from the website) it's much easier to use them as separate sheets of paper then constantly be  flipping through the book or in the app.    

Make a cheat sheet of things you have to remember i.e.

Hero Phase:
Cast X spell with A (and maybe list spells and casting roll) 

Activate Y command ability with models B or C

Movement Phase

Remember Unit E can move/run an extra ___  if this happens

Shooting - 

Grots  range X

Combat 

Bonus attacks for unit F if ___ condition is met

That kind of one pager can be helpful so you aren't flipping (adjust details to meet your needs) 

This. You'll be saving both you and your opponent a lot of time by organizing all the relevant information. This technique is what I use for my Death army. There's a lot of skills and spells to remember that happen on different parts of the game, so writing down what you can do during each part of the turn is not only great way to focus your brain on what's going own during a turn buy also by simply writing down what you can do helps with remember what your army actually does. 

20 hours ago, MoolkBiggestOrruk said:

Orruks thrive on hardship literally. They get bigger the more they get beaten, like the Hulk.

Ironjawz is "just" a tribe that got a few hundred years of constant battle with Chaos, so they are the biggest, the baddest, the meanest, and the most armored of all the orruk tribes.

Bonesplitterz are who dwell in Ghur, the Realm of Beasts. They are savage big game hunters.

Greenskinz are not your rejects. They are the regular orruks, who are still mean, green killing machines.

Archived