Price hike

Bol14

Hi all. Sorry if this is common knowledge but as someone relatively new to AoS, I am not entirely familiar with GW business practices. I was just on their site poking around (8/15) and the prices for every model seems to have gone up by between 80 and 100 percent from a few dayd ago. Is this normal? The prices were already high and are now borderline absured and so I just wanted to find out what the deal was!

2 hours ago, blackraven said:

:)

Prices on ebay have definitely increased. Last year I was able to pick things up really cheap but some of the models are way more expensive than what they originally sold for in the shops.

Yeah, I've notices this too. Several times I've been looking to pick up 4 extra models to round out a unit. On ebay often full boxes are going for more than the new prices on GW store! 

7 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

Yeah, I've notices this too. Several times I've been looking to pick up 4 extra models to round out a unit. On ebay often full boxes are going for more than the new prices on GW store! 

Yup, it's really hard to get a decent deal now.

Chainrasps were pretty cheap as pre orders on ebay, but after the price announcement for the box - I see them sitting at 30£ + on auction when I bought my half of nighthaunt for 40 total when soul wars just came out!

Sometimes people put stuff up for sale on ebay and only look at the current listings. So anything that hasn't got many listings might have only the high-priced/overpriced one or two remaining; which others then base their price off. It's how sometimes prices on auction sites like ebay can rise without any actual rise in demand of the product nor increase in its rarity/desirability. In the daftest of cases these prices can rise beyond current market value online; and in the most daft beyond current highstreet/recommended retail price (ergo what should be its highest). 

Most of the time it sorts itself out as no one buys and the prices from sane sellers go down. 

Sometimes they also go up because the base price is higher but there is free postage; so you essentially pay for postage in the price of the models. It's always good to check on that as sometimes super cheap prices then whack on a high postage cost which brings back up to normal market levels. Always consider prices with postage not separate. 

12 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, I frequently see second hand models listed for more than it would cost to buy them new. If they're old, out of production metals that's fair enough, but when its the same box I could buy at GW its a bit ludicrous!

Agreed, metals keep their value quite well - mostly because its very durable to long life gaming and transport and because its very easy to paint strip it back to the bare metal with good results. Plastics and resins are softer, can show more wear and tear and can sometimes be more tricky to paint strip. 

28 minutes ago, Overread said:

Agreed, metals keep their value quite well - mostly because its very durable to long life gaming and transport and because its very easy to paint strip it back to the bare metal with good results. Plastics and resins are softer, can show more wear and tear and can sometimes be more tricky to paint strip. 

All true but the most value is that they are usually out of production. I bought a malakai axe thrower for 100 bucks last week. It wasn’t because of the sturdiness of the metal that I was willing to pay that huge sum! 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

All true but the most value is that they are usually out of production. I bought a malakai axe thrower for 100 bucks last week. It wasn’t because of the sturdiness of the metal that I was willing to pay that huge sum! 

Very true! 

Though myself I've spent good money on metal chaos hounds, demons of slaanesh and some of the old seekers of slaanesh. I'd pay good money for the old metal demonetts, but they sell for far too much. I was sad to not have had the money to buy into them when GW did a rerun of them a year or so back and I hope that they will do another run.

I've got half a mind to get one of the old metal dark elf sorceress models too, though at £24 or thereabouts right now that's a bit much

21 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'd pay good money for the old metal demonetts,

I was eying them on ebay just before the Made to Order. Couldn't be more lucky. Saw them going for 16 a model. Just insane. So my daemonettes are mixed and hopefully another run someday will add to them. 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

I was eying them on ebay just before the Made to Order. Couldn't be more lucky. Saw them going for 16 a model. Just insane. So my daemonettes are mixed and hopefully another run someday will add to them. 

I'm hopeful that when GW do the Slaanesh update they get another made to order on them. If Slaanesh gets a really nice update I'd like to run at least one block of 30 or so originals (provided the price is within my means and tolerance). I've no problem having an "elite" group or unique group for basic troops on the battlefield. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

I'm hopeful that when GW do the Slaanesh update they get another made to order on them. If Slaanesh gets a really nice update I'd like to run at least one block of 30 or so originals (provided the price is within my means and tolerance). I've no problem having an "elite" group or unique group for basic troops on the battlefield. 

I'm hopeful that the Old Daemonettes will get another run, they seem to always be mentioned whenever anyone discussed what they'd like to get.

Only vaguely related, but I noticed the other day that it was currently more cost effective to buy ten of the old metal witch elves, than it is the current plastic kit. Not by much, admittedly, but nonetheless, go figure.

1 minute ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'm hopeful that the Old Daemonettes will get another run, they seem to always be mentioned whenever anyone discussed what they'd like to get.

Only vaguely related, but I noticed the other day that it was currently more cost effective to buy ten of the old metal witch elves, than it is the current plastic kit. Not by much, admittedly, but nonetheless, go figure.

It's one thing holding my DoK in that I don't really want to buy witches at this point as I've got a strong feeling GW will give some kind of new box for the range at some piont and that it will have witches in there. I mean they can't really keep the army going with its core troop being the most expensive! It's actually CHEAPER to build an army of elite snakes than it is to build one of their main battleline troop

4 hours ago, Overread said:

It's one thing holding my DoK in that I don't really want to buy witches at this point as I've got a strong feeling GW will give some kind of new box for the range at some piont and that it will have witches in there. I mean they can't really keep the army going with its core troop being the most expensive! It's actually CHEAPER to build an army of elite snakes than it is to build one of their main battleline troop

We can but hope! A start collecting set at some point could well contain witches, the only question is when it'll be and what they could combine them with. The range doesn't lend itself to the usual mix of units really. In the meantime I'm using mantic succubi, they fit most of the same aesthetics, and their tails kind of tie in with the look of the khinerai if you squint a bit!

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

We can but hope! A start collecting set at some point could well contain witches, the only question is when it'll be and what they could combine them with. The range doesn't lend itself to the usual mix of units really. In the meantime I'm using mantic succubi, they fit most of the same aesthetics, and their tails kind of tie in with the look of the khinerai if you squint a bit!

I would say it could easily have 20 Witches and then either Melusai or Khinerai. If it included the former then I'd say it would be a perfect core box (as Melusai are a bit more versatile than khinerai who are a touch more specific). Another option would be 20 Witches and then 5 Warlocks - essentially all the old core plastics in one starting box. 

Whilst warlocks are not heroes nor leaders units they are mage units and so fill a nice support role. 

I sort of wouldn't want a Blood Cauldron as the way that model prices up now I'd say on its own in a box its worth it in value without being discounted further; plus its the kind of big model that you don't need as many of - once you've got two or perhaps three you really don't need more. 

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

I just made resin copies for personal use

Archived