Any Generals Handbook clarifications?

Ben

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may not be a GHB-specific question but I posted the following today on the official AoS Fb group: 

I've been hearing a lot of confusion on podcasts, Twitter, etc. about moving through Wyldwoods. This has especially come up given their importance to the Sylvaneth.

Since the 3 trees are removable from the citadel wood scenery, is it intended that players can remove the trees in order to better move their models through the citadel wood scenery, as long as their models stay outside each tree base's circumference, or is it intended that players should not remove the trees, and that they should only move models that can physically fit through the scenery's non-obstructed space?

I know some players are modeling their Wyldwoods scenery with only one tree, in order to enable more models to move through the scenery without having to debate whether a citadel wood's tree can be removed or not.

Thanks for any clarification. This does seem to be a point of confusion and contention.

Is the Celestant Prime a named character? On a literal reading, he doesn't have a name (as far as per the fluff I'm aware of - don't spoil it if he does), but he's limited to one per army. Hence, can be have a Command Trait and an Artefact? 

Presumably a Gaunt Summoner (analogously limited to 9 in the rules) could have a Command Trait and Artefact.  

7 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

This may not be a GHB-specific question but I posted the following today on the official AoS Fb group: 

I've been hearing a lot of confusion on podcasts, Twitter, etc. about moving through Wyldwoods. This has especially come up given their importance to the Sylvaneth.

Since the 3 trees are removable from the citadel wood scenery, is it intended that players can remove the trees in order to better move their models through the citadel wood scenery, as long as their models stay outside each tree base's circumference, or is it intended that players should not remove the trees, and that they should only move models that can physically fit through the scenery's non-obstructed space?

I know some players are modeling their Wyldwoods scenery with only one tree, in order to enable more models to move through the scenery without having to debate whether a citadel wood's tree can be removed or not.

Thanks for any clarification. This does seem to be a point of confusion and contention.

The ruling is quite clear on this one, the model piece comes with three trees, it has predestined slots for them so they should be there.

Would you allow a half constructed model for your opponent to gain benefit from it?

Screenshot_20160725-085411.png

Why can't they do decent proofreading before releasing a book?! Seriously it's getting ridiculous now almost every book has required FAQ. 

First question: are individual artefacts allowed to be equipped multiple times on different heroes? Currently nothing saying you can't but they would seem to be unique. 

Second question: are the Glorious Victory and Sudden Death Victory rules from the main rules used in the pitched battle Battleplans? They don't explicitly say like most other battleplans. 

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

The ruling is quite clear on this one, the model piece comes with three trees, it has predestined slots for them so they should be there.

Would you allow a half constructed model for your opponent to gain benefit from it?

I still don't think this is a clear answer and I always allow my opponent to move the trees out of the way. Its something that should be discussed with your opponent prior to the game anyway as there is no actual ruling on moving trees.

I personally would make the woods so dense that a model could neither move or see through it so they effectively became impassable terrain so I could stick stuff behind so it couldn't be sniped off turn 1. Would you allow this? As there is no ruling either way?

20 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

I still don't think this is a clear answer and I always allow my opponent to move the trees out of the way. Its something that should be discussed with your opponent prior to the game anyway as there is no actual ruling on moving trees.

I personally would make the woods so dense that a model could neither move or see through it so they effectively became impassable terrain so I could stick stuff behind so it couldn't be sniped off turn 1. Would you allow this? As there is no ruling either way?

My own personal opinion (and the way I play in my games) for the Citadel Wood is that you can remove trees but cannot place a model so that any part of it overhangs the hole the tree lives in.  This gets over the problem where the foliage may get in the way of physically placing a model within the Wood, but ensures the model legitimately fits within it.  There's a certain amount of imagination required when playing games and I find this provides a nice balance between "realism" and practicality.

10 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

Also the combining unit thing, does it have to be 3 separate battleline units of 10 or can it be one combined unit of 30

Unit sizes are determined on your army list now in matched play. So if you put 3x10 clan rats for example you have to deploy them as 3 units of 10. if you only put 1x30 clan rats on your list you wouldn't be fulfilling the battleline requirements, you have enough models, just not enough units.

10 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Thanks for any clarification. This does seem to be a point of confusion and 

1 hour ago, Terry Pike said:

It is quite clear, it's very clear In the rules. Did the picture not load?

"A model can be moved across scenery but not through it (so you can't move through a  solid wall or pass through a tree but can have a model climb up or over them ) "

You can do what ever you want with your Terrain but the offical games workshop terrain allows movement around the trees, trees are not normally glued down for ease of storage, the concept of being allowed to remove the trees is a hangover from WHFB and should be forgotten. 

The rules are rules and tbh these I think are clear

I'd favour requiring wildwoods to have all 3 trees in place and not removable for aesthetic reasons, as I don't like how battlefields can disappear as a game progresses. AoS is better suited to this than 8th was with its rank-and-file and movement trays.

But on the other hand I just can't get my head around the idea of a Treelord not being able to walk through the woods! :)

9 minutes ago, nelsonus said:

Do abilities that create new models/units like Neferata's vampire lord creation require reinforcement points?

Any generation of new models requires point costing.

Returning dead models doesn't. 

Page 120 text in part 1:

The Stormcast player allocates the wounds one model at a time, continuing to allocate wounds either until a model is slain or there are no more wounds to allocate.

Writing in the battlereport about shooting casualties.

Is this not worded a little incorrectly?

Does the bone splittas ability that brings back units on a 6 require reinforcement points?  I would assume not.

With the destruction faction trait, if you get out of combat on your roll, can you charge back in?

8 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Page 120 text in part 1:

Writing in the battlereport about shooting casualties.

Is this not worded a little incorrectly?

I think it's written ambiguously but correctly.  One model at a time means 1 complete model at a time not 1 wound per model at a time.

They could have tidied the wording up to remove confusion though...

20 hours ago, Tozon said:

I think it's written ambiguously but correctly.  One model at a time means 1 complete model at a time not 1 wound per model at a time.

They could have tidied the wording up to remove confusion though...

I mostly meant the 'either/or' bit:

"...allocate wounds either until a model is slain or there are no more wounds to allocate."

So only one model can be slain.

Edit/ I figure out what happened. It's an extract from the longer text in the main rules:

When inflicting damage, if you allocate a wound
to a model, you must keep on allocating
wounds to that model until either it is slain,
or no more wounds remain to be allocated.

How do warscroll battalions that all you to start off the board (Skyborne Slayers / Clan Skryre) interact with:

1) All the models that you have on the board being killed. I.e. do you auto-lose if you're "tabled" but have Stormcasts still in the sky?

2) The scenario that controls when "reinforcements" arrive throughout the turns?

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

I mostly meant the 'either/or' bit:

"...allocate wounds either until a model is slain or there are no more wounds to allocate."

So only one model can be slain.

Snap gotcha.  Yeah that's just bad wording!!! :D

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

"A model can be moved across scenery but not through it (so you can't move through a  solid wall or pass through a tree but can have a model climb up or over them ) "

It can still be argued the other way though as the rules for the trees don't say you can't just move the trees out of the way during the game. You're right you can't pass through them, but there is nothing to say they aren't just placed to one side to make the movement through the wood more practical and to not damage models etc. I would still not put models in the round hole where the tree goes, but I would always move them for ease of gaming.

Archived