AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just now, Ailuro81 said:

Classic green scheme, cannot go wrong. Very nice mate. Is that background your gaming board or just display board? Looks awesome either way :)

Display. I been making stuff with large coatings of filler.. I've got it on some of my bases too.. but it's too brittle sadly, looses minimal chips easily so you get bright white small dots.. which is annoying. But I'm happy with it as a display. I need to find a way to make filler less brittle or get a good replacement to use a coating on the styrofoam that is beneath it but I've not yet found it. (the trees are plastic containers with clay around them... but clay doesn't look as nice and stony as the filler for rocks).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

BTW when I see that old hunting cat (next to the lore master on the rock) which was old even when I started 20 years ago (got it 2nd hand then) I REALLY think that now we lost the tree spirit part of the army we SHOULD get our connection with the beasts back. Nomads with beasts... a unit and a hero would be nice and give the army a bit more character. I'd not mind if it where AoS beasts... gryph/draco beasts would be nice too.. or beetles.

That would be cool, hounds, elk, birds stuff like that, would be cool

On 8/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, Drofnum said:

Arkanaut company combo very well with the Hurricanum if you just need generic battleline.

I use Swifthawk Agent Reavers as my generic battleline. Min unit size of 5 that costs less than glade riders (granted 3 less models though), can shoot 3 times, then also run after shooting. Plus you can use the old glade rider models to represent them. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rusty293 said:

I use Swifthawk Agent Reavers as my generic battleline. Min unit size of 5 that costs less than glade riders (granted 3 less models though), can shoot 3 times, then also run after shooting. Plus you can use the old glade rider models to represent them. 

And... most importantly.. they are not dwarves... (yeah.. when in Wanderer mode I'm a dwarf racist too :D - only green clad elves need apply for any job).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got to ask, since I am thinking of expanding into wanderers after my high elves, why dont more people use durthu of other treelord as an ally? With a sister of thorns buff, you get the melee and tanking that the army lacks. Backed up by some heroes and rangers, it would be a solid melee line.

Maybe I am lucky that I already have a Durthu and Ancient so it seems logical to me.

1 hour ago, Cerlin said:

I got to ask, since I am thinking of expanding into wanderers after my high elves, why dont more people use durthu of other treelord as an ally? With a sister of thorns buff, you get the melee and tanking that the army lacks. Backed up by some heroes and rangers, it would be a solid melee line.

Maybe I am lucky that I already have a Durthu and Ancient so it seems logical to me.

I have made a list with Sylvaneth allies. Durthu is cool, but I decided to go with 2 units of Scythe wielding Kurnoth hunters instead. I thought it would give me 2 melee focal points rather than the single one a Big Tree would give me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Here is the list I've been experimenting with for 2.0     Any ideas on how to squeeze some use out of those missing 30 points? Maybe another good endless spell or roster change? Recommendations would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.34.08 PM.png

I have a similar list to yours. I've played it once and won, though against a Nurgle army that wasn't particularly optimised.  The differences being I have one unit of 20 GG and one of 20 SotW, plus a 20 strong unit of EG instead of 10.  the remaining 40pts went on a Pendulum ( it never hurt anything but did act as a bit of a road detour sign).  Although I didn't one-drop, it's nice to know I have the option ( say against KO for example ).

Alternatively, you could take the flying swords for some offensive spell damage, or drop the shackles and have an extra command point.  I used both command points in the first turn re-rolling Charges ( successfully thank goodness ), but it would have been nice to have a third up my sleeve to counter battleshock in my opponent's turn.

Just out of curiosity, which unit isn't in the battalion?  I'm assuming SotW as they're listed last.  Also, what trait and items are you using?

If I wasn't painting Deepkin at the moment, I'd probably be painting another 20 SotW, though how I'd squeeze them in to the battalion I'm not too sure. I can - it's what to take out besides the GG and Pendulum without losing a Waywatcher. 

The command point idea is a pretty good one,  though I'm still hyped from endless spells and want to experiment a little more with them.  The other problem i come across with the re-roll charges is having a hero close enough to the teleported unit in order to use the command point for the re-rolls.  This is a one drop list and all of the units are included in the battalion.  I have not had much luck getting the points worth out of  the sisters of the thorn and i think that replacing them with wild riders and maybe throwing in  another unit or two of eternal guard or rangers could be a viable plan.  As far as traits go, I use Stalker of the Hidden Paths  on Nomad, Viridescent Shawl  on Spellweaver, Starcaster Longbow on Waywatcher.

50 minutes ago, adreal said:

I think putting the starcaster longbow on the waywatcher would be a waste of his fantastic shooting.

When they dont move and quick shoot they hit on 2s exploding on 5s, they are fantastic little machine guns

I was under the impression that he would still get his shot with the starcaster along with his normal round of shooting

1 hour ago, Cambot1231 said:

I was under the impression that he would still get his shot with the starcaster along with his normal round of shooting

He might, I'm not 100% sure on that, so I never put the bow on him, I come from a 40k background where a relic weapon replaces the weapon, so I was never 100%.

I am pretty sure the definition DOES NOT say "the weapon inflicts 1 MW to an enemy unit within 20" instead of its normal attacks" so I am quite sure you get to keep all your attacks with the bearer.

I was wondering though, have you guys tried other artifacts a part from the Wanderers ones? Is there any realm srtifact that goes well with our lists (I am talking pure Wanderers but whichever it would be)?

Edited by Frozenbeast

5 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

The command point idea is a pretty good one,  though I'm still hyped from endless spells and want to experiment a little more with them.  The other problem i come across with the re-roll charges is having a hero close enough to the teleported unit in order to use the command point for the re-rolls.  This is a one drop list and all of the units are included in the battalion.  I have not had much luck getting the points worth out of  the sisters of the thorn and i think that replacing them with wild riders and maybe throwing in  another unit or two of eternal guard or rangers could be a viable plan.  As far as traits go, I use Stalker of the Hidden Paths  on Nomad, Viridescent Shawl  on Spellweaver, Starcaster Longbow on Waywatcher.

I asked about the Battalion because you have 5 infantry units listed and the Battalion requires 4, no more no less, from the list of options - unless I'm reading it wrong.  It's slightly frustrating as I would prefer 2 units of 10 EG, but I'm glad we have a Battalion at all.

The charge re-rolls were on the  first turn when I could drop the units and heroes together, otherwise I agree it's too difficult to arrange in later turns from a teleporting point of view.

I have moved away from using Stalker with the change to Realm Wanderers and am trying out Masterful Hunter and using the teleport to move Waywatchers around without them losing their +1 to hit.

If you are going to have Endless spells, then the SotT may still be useful as you can cast 2 in the same turn.

I still like the Forget-me-knot.  We lack any large beastie to go toe-to-toe with the larger Heroes, of which there seem to be more and more, so this is one way of being able to stand up to them.  I put it on the Nomad Prince and keep him with the WWR.  That's the reason I want the command points for the first turn charges.  I'll happily trade them for most of the Big heroes in turn one - 220 points isn't so bad.

On 7/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, adreal said:

I would like glade riders to come back, wild riders to get a rend when they charge, a stag monted lord and a behemoth (maybe 2, one on a dragon and one to represent kurnoth)

Oh and as elite combat unit with swords and some magic warpaint, maybe they choose a fighting style every combat phase which can either buff thier damage or save or amount of attacks. They could call them wardancers

I would like to see units like the Beastmaster return.  And a large scale Orion.  I think the idea of a fast cav unit akin to Glade Riders isn't very AoS-like.  Sisters of the Thorn and those Dark Elf mage ones kinda work based on utility.

On 8/4/2018 at 2:43 AM, Aezeal said:

Ow god thankfully not autumn red... my racist eyes can't bear another autumn themed wood elf :D, I sometimes feel there are more people being "original" with autumn wanderers than people with green armies. Anyway.. great painting skills.

pffft.  I started my autumn army in 2005 before it was cool to do autumn; and then saw the copy cats come out like mad.  Since then I've switched back cause I have some good recipes for green and brown.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, NomadicPrince95 said:

Cue the hype train folks.

1922620F-CA7B-4277-8B2E-C80843316EBF.jpeg

After seeing that I immediately got out my old one (the autumn theme :D ) to finish.  I used to use the twins on an eagle in 8th.  The most interesting thing to note there is the 60mm round base.  Only have the wing membranes and horns and teeth left.

I know they won't get the Wanderer keyword but it will be enough for me to just play the girls on the dragon for kicks.  Oh GW you keep missing the boat on bridging those players with models they really love back into AoS.

Hello and good afternoon everyone, I have a game on sunday using my wanderers army (However never actually played with them in sigmar at all).

Will be playing at 2k against my friends Daughters Of Khaine, I have made the following list consisting with models that I own and would like any feedback or suggestions that could be made.

++ *Pitched Battle* 2,000 (Order - Wanderers) ++
+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Wanderers

+ Battalion +

Waystone Pathfinders

Nomad Prince: General

Spellweaver 

Waywatcher 

Waywatcher 

Waywatcher

Eternal Guard: 20 Eternal Guard, Horn Blower, Standard Bearer

Glade Guard: 10 Glade Guard, Horn Blower, Pennant Bearer

Wild Riders: 5 Wild Riders, Horn Blower, Standard Bearer

Wild Riders: 5 Wild Riders, Horn Blower, Standard Bearer

++ *Allies* (Order - Sylvaneth) ++

+ Behemoth +

Treelord Ancient 

+ Battleline +

Dryads: 10 Dryads

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spells: Geminids of Uhl-Gyish

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points: 1 Command Point

10 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Hey Shinzra, off the bat a small but effective change might be to combine two units of glade guard to get the +1 to hit. You could break up eternal guard into two 10 man units to cover the battleline requirements (wanderer battleline only)

He won't have the requirement for the battalion if he does like you say. On the flipside though I like more what you said as otherwise I cannot find a reliable form of dmg in that list.