AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

We've seen the book in reviews. 1d4chan is not reliable, it is a wiki editable by anyone. In the review, it is not Allies: Grand Alliance Order, it lists very specific factions, such as Fyreslayers, DoK, IDK. None of the same faction names that show up in Cities, such as freeguild or wanderers, show up as potential allies, while I wish they could. 

So I didn't see anybody mentioning it so maybe I'm wrong but the Nomad Prince "harrying birds of prey" ability says "...within 18" of THIS model" not "18" of ANY model" like the kharibdys. So am I correct in assuming you could stack the debuff as many times as you have Princes within 18? It's not super important but I could see running 2 nomad princes with one as your warlords adjutant or what's it just to stack on -2 to cast or more importantly slap it on some big scary monster hero that wants to crash into your lines.

• Like 1

I have been so focused on Living city that I haven't really been considering the other 6 Cities in relation to a (mainly) Wanderers army.  So I was wondering if anyone has been looking into the others and, if so, what their thoughts are.  I know Wanderers are a mainstay of Greywater Fastness, but don't know much about it.  I don't want to get too blinkered when the book hasn't even come out yet.

3 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have been so focused on Living city that I haven't really been considering the other 6 Cities in relation to a (mainly) Wanderers army.  So I was wondering if anyone has been looking into the others and, if so, what their thoughts are.  I know Wanderers are a mainstay of Greywater Fastness, but don't know much about it.  I don't want to get too blinkered when the book hasn't even come out yet.

Waiting for Full book but from info we got so far- Tempest looks nice thematicly, have some Great buffs NP general with +1 hit , +1 wound on 12" aura with 1CP cost. And +1 A from spell 😊

Still cant decide ill go with that it LC. Considering i dont want to use Sylvaneth

• Like 1

I just had a thought, with the new command ability nomad prince, a waywatcher gets 2+ to hit when he doesn't move and is next to the Nomad prince. additional shots on 4, 5, & 6s.

Even the glade guard get arcane bobkins on 2+ to hit... If you've still got the models I think the Wanderer allegiance is now pretty good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

I just had a thought, with the new command ability nomad prince, a waywatcher gets 2+ to hit when he doesn't move and is next to the Nomad prince. additional shots on 4, 5, & 6s.

Even the glade guard get arcane bobkins on 2+ to hit... If you've still got the models I think the Wanderer allegiance is now pretty good.

Unfortunately it will be good right up until the Waywatcher  (and the other units) loses the Wanderers keyword in Legends.  I think we've crossed the Rubicon on straight Wanderers allegiance; Cities is our new home and The Living City is looking like quite a nice one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Unfortunately it will be good right up until the Waywatcher  (and the other units) loses the Wanderers keyword in Legends.  I think we've crossed the Rubicon on straight Wanderers allegiance; Cities is our new home and The Living City is looking like quite a nice one.

This is true, and I don't see us being able to use them for more then 6 months to a year. (Have to see what GHB 2020 brings) but as it stands today and for the near future Wanderer allegiance is not in a totally bad place. The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

1 hour ago, Raffonerd said:

The problem is not the legend is the increase in point costs. As of now, it's harder to fit Waywatcher in the list.

Well yeah, but eternal guards are now true brick walls, wild riders are worth the 30 more points and Sister of the Thorn are 80 points cheaper. I prefer it, it makes the army more elite and less of a horde.

• Like 1

Hello! I'm new to this community and I wanted to just add to the discussion

So I'm excited to play CoS especially since I really like the wood elves aesthetic (it's why I've been slowly building Sylvaneth these past few months). I'm interested in buying some wanderers but I'm not sure about a few things:

1) Does going full shooting as the wanderers sound good? Sisters of the Watch/Thorn are some of my favourite units aesthetically and I was wondering if I could get away with running mostly sisters of the watch with a single unit of thorn as support (with a blob of sylavneth dryads as a holding unit if I run living city).

2) Is there an easier way to collect the newer wanderers? I've been looking at Ebay and managed to snag a cheap spellweaver (which I'll run as a battlemage) but I'm not really feeling the prices for the current plastic models on either ebay or GW's site. 

Edited by Butteryicarus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

This is true, and I don't see us being able to use them for more then 6 months to a year. (Have to see what GHB 2020 brings) but as it stands today and for the near future Wanderer allegiance is not in a totally bad place. The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

That's interesting.  do you think it might be worth foregoing one round of shooting and run the SotW to get them back in the fight?

From the Cities of Sigmar book:

"With heavy hearts, the forest rulers 
abandoned their ancient glades and 
forest kingdoms and retreated to 
Azyr alongside Sigmar the God- 
King. They became the Wanderers 
a nomadic people with no 
homeland to call their own, fighting 
for a world they had already lost. 
Neither Alarielle the Everqueen nor 
her Sylvaneth warriors would ever 
forgive their flight from Ghyran, 
and the Wanderers would forever be 
denied a place at their deity's side. "

It flat out says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

22 hours ago, Aelfric said:

That's interesting.  do you think it might be worth foregoing one round of shooting and run the SotW to get them back in the fight?

thinking about it now, I think the thing to do is to use the command ability to move them after the shooting phase. Thus you retain the shooting +1 attacks but still get in a move a turn. cost 1 CP though. I'm running 30 SotW so it's my main killing force.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/4/2019 at 11:51 AM, GM_Monkey said:

The thing I found with Living City (in the 1 game I've played with them) is after turn one I struggled to get the hidden pathway units back into the match, infact having to move the sisters of the watch each turn, which was less then ideal.

100% agree on the problem with getting the units back to where they are needed. We have a powerful alpha strike, but everything that comes after that is a huge problem. It get's even more problematic, if the opponent screens himself (easily accomplished) and you either waste your reserves on the flank shooting at unimportant targets, or you set them up them way back in your deployment zone, where they are equally useless for the next two battlerounds.

Unless the opponent has a low modell count (BCR) who can't protect himself against ambushes, I've stopped setting up units in reserve. Instead I set up all slow moving modells in the centre, protected my rear with WR or SotT, gave my opponent the first turn, pray that enough units survive and then work on regaining map control.

This is written with the Waystone Pathfinders in mind, I can only imagine said problem is even worse with Living City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thalandor said:

100% agree on the problem with getting the units back to where they are needed. We have a powerful alpha strike, but everything that comes after that is a huge problem. It get's even more problematic, if the opponent screens himself (easily accomplished) and you either waste your reserves on the flank shooting at unimportant targets, or you set them up them way back in your deployment zone, where they are equally useless for the next two battlerounds.

Unless the opponent has a low modell count (BCR) who can't protect himself against ambushes, I've stopped setting up units in reserve. Instead I set up all slow moving modells in the centre, protected my rear with WR or SotT, gave my opponent the first turn, pray that enough units survive and then work on regaining map control.

This is written with the Waystone Pathfinders in mind, I can only imagine said problem is even worse with Living City.

at least with Wanderers you still had the hidden pathways allegiance ability to get you into range again, you can slowly work your way in on the back line, this doesn't happen with the Living city, you do get the double move with the command ability but really you've got to really work with the depolyment

Hidden pathways two units (say 30 sisters and a nomad prince)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shoot and scoot (1cp)

Shouldn't need to move again, plop shadow warriors in the midfield (strike from shadows) and you should have rolled over a flank with eternal guard holding the center

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, The Red King said:

It says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

Well, he's a god and his stormcasts helped with her resurrection.

Personally I think it sucks and it's a little hypocritical (Alarielle was one of the first to leave Sigmar's pantheon) but I suppose it's the nature of divinity to be so.

To celebrate the release of Cities of Sigmar, I have released a book of stories based around three new cities in the Mortal Realms, including a Wanderers-centric novella.

(This is not an official GW product, so I will NOT be charging for it).

I have a limited run of print copies, which I will send out free of charge. If these run out, I will send out audio/ebook extracts instead.

If you'd like a copy, please fill in this form:

https://forms.gle/59Yo2pyMpLMa9mhy6

In return, I would appreciate an honest review (details in the book). This will help me attract publishers/agents for future work.

IMG_5683.JPG

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 10/5/2019 at 4:21 PM, The Red King said:

It flat out says they retreated WITH Sigmar and yet they will never be forgiven for doing what she already forgave Sigmar for... bruh?

It annoys me so much that I don't want to field Sylvaneth in my army.  I will play Living City, but it will be a city elsewhere in Ghyran.  If Alarielle (Goddess of Life, after all) had helped to prevent the Nurgle's rot epidemic in the first place, perhaps the Wanderers would not have had to retreat to Azyr.  Also, Alarielle abandoned Her whole Realm to Nurgle and yet the Sylvaneth didn't hold a grudge over that.  My Wanderers do not worship Alarielle, they have their own Deity.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It annoys me so much that I don't want to field Sylvaneth in my army.  I will play Living City, but it will be a city elsewhere in Ghyran.  If Alarielle (Goddess of Life, after all) had helped to prevent the Nurgle's rot epidemic in the first place, perhaps the Wanderers would not have had to retreat to Azyr.  Also, Alarielle abandoned Her whole Realm to Nurgle and yet the Sylvaneth didn't hold a grudge over that.  My Wanderers do not worship Alarielle, they have their own Deity.

Its GW writers and mess they did after end Times. Couple of pages within 5 years and whole story does not convince me at all 😕 Seeing old miniatures full of symbols from Old World dosnt help eighter ...

But you can always make your own narration for your warband. Maybe your warband was one that stayed when nurgle overtook Ghyran and fought? You could make convincing story for yourself - maybe that will soothe The bad taste. It helped me alot at least (if u care about such things)

My warband said ****** you to "queen" and left in search for New Home they landed in Tempest Eye where their services were rewarded 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rahatlin said:

Its GW writers and mess they did after end Times. Couple of pages within 5 years and whole story does not convince me at all 😕 Seeing old miniatures full of symbols from Old World dosnt help eighter ...

But you can always make your own narration for your warband. Maybe your warband was one that stayed when nurgle overtook Ghyran and fought? You could make convincing story for yourself - maybe that will soothe The bad taste. It helped me alot at least (if u care about such things)

My warband said ****** you to "queen" and left in search for New Home they landed in Tempest Eye where their services were rewarded 😉

Yes, I never liked it.  I do have my own narrative for my Wanderers that stretches back into the End Times, which works with the preserving and strengthening of the Ley-lines (That bit I liked).  They have their own Deity and purpose, and have no connection to Alarielle or the Sylvaneth.  This book does mean I can introduce my old Dark Aelves into my narrative to build an Aelven city independent of the Pantheon of Order (Duardin and Humans may come along later).  Fortunately, AOS is vast enough that you can pretty much make any narrative work.

It will be interesting to see whether I can, or want to, weave the Kurnothi into it when they make an appearance.

• Like 2