AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So Belthanos is insanely good.

Advance and Charge and Retreat and Charge buffs are nuts. But 14 wounds on a 3+/5+ is also really strong and his movement doesn't bracket. For that point cost I can see him going in most lists.

The Army of Reknown looks solid but I'm not sure how many quarries you get to pick or how it interacts with seasons. But what we see so far seems good. Giving up a subfaction for access to a stacking buff effect seems worth it. And the units that you are limited too are all the best ones lol. 

5 hours ago, Colonic said:

If its like the armies of renown we have had already, you'll give up striek and fade, and seasons, and the like as well.  Although in Trugg's Troggherd you get regranted the Bad Moon.

In that case I personally will probably avoid the AOR itself and will just field him alongside a normal list. He seems extremely good for his cost. 

• Like 1

14 wounds on a 3+ with 5+ ward.

Monster. 28 damage on at least rend 2

Run and charge, retreat and charge. Flying. 12 inch move.

For 360 points. That's incredible for Sylvaneth.

I don't think there's an army that couldn't use this guy.

He's going in all my lists.

Edited by Thugmullet
  • Like 1

Man, there's so much to say about Belthanos! His warscroll is fascinating, and very unique.

His combat profile does a bit less damage than any of the other single entity beatstick options (Alarielle, Drycha, Durthu)., while costing more than any of them (except Alarielle). Obviously, though, he compensates for this with better mobility and survivability (except Alarielle again).

A big reason for this is his lack of a ranged profile, which hurts his overall damage output. He's comparable to Drycha or Alarielle if only the melee profile is considered. This also affects his usage options, as he's not doing any damage at all unless he's charging in, which is not true for those other options.

His abilities all serve to enhance the mobility of the army without relying on magic. This is really exciting because, in my experience, it's been something that causes the Sylvaneth to struggle against armies that can reliably deny their  mobility-boosting magic.

The Kurnothi War-horn is the highlight of the warscroll for me (though I question whether the hyphen is necessary). Nature Aetheric is really unique and I think quite powerful, though the timings on it will take some experimentation to fully grok. The retreat and charge ability is a nice little bonus.

As a whole, I see him working into lists in two ways. While he doesn't do as much damage as Durthu or Drycha, he is much more durable than Drycha, and much more mobile than Durthu. In comparison to these units, it feels like he needs a lot less support from the rest of the army to be effective on his own, even if his damage ceiling isn't as high.

I think he'll shine the most as a "build around" piece, though. He's quite expensive, so I think maximizing his abilities in an army that can also use his combat profile is going to be his best usage.

For my first list with him, I'm intrigued by the notion of trying to maximize a "no magic" Sylvaneth army. I think he'd combine nicely with a Treelord Ancient that takes Warsinger, Vesperal Gem, and Verdurous Harmony. The two would form a really bulky support core for as many Spiteriders or Kurnoths as I manage to take from there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thugmullet said:

14 wounds on a 3+ with 5+ ward.

Monster. 28 damage on at least rend 2

Run and charge, retreat and charge. Flying. 12 inch move.

For 360 points. That's incredible for Sylvaneth.

I don't think there's an army that couldn't use this guy.

He's going in all my lists.

Agreed. He just makes the army around him so much better and is cheap enough that losing him doesn't effectively end the game. I wish Alarielle was closer to this scale of a hero. 

11 hours ago, Havelocke said:

Man, there's so much to say about Belthanos! His warscroll is fascinating, and very unique.

he doesn't do as much damage as Durthu or Drycha, he is much more durable than Drycha, and much more mobile than Durthu. In comparison to these units, it feels like he needs a lot less support from the rest of the army to be effective on his own, even if his damage ceiling isn't as high.

I think he'll shine the most as a "build around" piece, though. He's quite expensive, so I think maximizing his abilities in an army that can also use his combat profile is going to be his best usage.

For my first list with him, I'm intrigued by the notion of trying to maximize a "no magic" Sylvaneth army. I think he'd combine nicely with a Treelord Ancient that takes Warsinger, Vesperal Gem, and Verdurous Harmony. The two would form a really bulky support core for as many Spiteriders or Kurnoths as I manage to take from there.

Agreed also. He is such a different animal to durthu or drycha. Durthu's profiles are great but he is so limited in his mobility. And Drycha's speed and range is great but she lacks survivability. Neither model really makes the army around them better. Even Drycha's buff to spites is counter-intuitive because they mostly rely on 6s to hit and she outpaces them.

Belthanos just a gives such a huge increase to the armies effectiveness WHILE ALSO having a huge pool of wounds with the best saves in our army. Retreat and charge is a game winner. Bc it means none of our units can be tied down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need some experienced Sylvaneth player’s advice. My question is about the Envoys of the Everqueen rule for Kurnoth Hunters. It says that any unit wholly within 6” of the objective is treated as being within an overgrown terrain feature. Because of this, do you get a cover save of +1 because it is treated as a terrain feature?

12 hours ago, Scythian said:

I need some experienced Sylvaneth player’s advice. My question is about the Envoys of the Everqueen rule for Kurnoth Hunters. It says that any unit wholly within 6” of the objective is treated as being within an overgrown terrain feature. Because of this, do you get a cover save of +1 because it is treated as a terrain feature?

No, they don't gain cover bonuses. The envoys is just a way to let you use your others abilities that require you to be near an overgrown terrain to use (seasons, healing, teleporting).

• 1 month later...

Can anyone clarify, why the FAQ on Harness the Spiritpath is missing in the November 23 version?

In April its still there, saying i can use Strike and Fate to complete this Battletactic. Was it an aprils fool? 😅

On 1/26/2024 at 11:50 AM, Xil said:

Can anyone clarify, why the FAQ on Harness the Spiritpath is missing in the November 23 version?

In April its still there, saying i can use Strike and Fate to complete this Battletactic. Was it an aprils fool? 😅

No one? Really?

On 1/26/2024 at 5:50 AM, Xil said:

Once it’s been part of a FAQ, it stays until otherwise. It’s still in the app. You’re better off in Sylvaneth FB groups or Discords than here for quick info.

50 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Once it’s been part of a FAQ, it stays until otherwise. It’s still in the app. You’re better off in Sylvaneth FB groups or Discords than here for quick info.

there is an app for faqs? is it in the Aos app? never seen that

i found it, nvm

Edited by Xil
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been playing some games with the following list and having some moderate success while learning to pilot it with greater efficiency. 

- Army Faction: Sylvaneth

- Subfaction: Heartwood

- Grand Strategy: The Roots of Victory

- Triumph: Indomitable

- Seasons of War: Everdusk

LEADERS

Branchwych (110)

- Artefacts of Power: Acorn of the Ages

- Spells: Verdant Blessing, Verdurous Harmony

Drycha Hamadreth (300)*

- Spells: Regrowth, Verdant Blessing

Warsong Revenant (270)*

- General

- Command Traits: Spellsinger

- Spells: Treesong, Verdant Blessing

Arch-Revenant (120)*

- Artefacts of Power: Crown of Fell Bowers

BATTLELINE

Dryads (200)

- Branch Nymph

Dryads (100)

- Branch Nymph

Tree-Revenants (110)

BEHEMOTH

Treelord (230)

OTHER

Spiterider Lancers (380)

- Spiterider Scion

- Spiterider Standard Bearer

- Spiterider Hornblower

Spite-Revenants (160)

- Shadestalker

CORE BATTALIONS

*Command Entourage

- Magnificent

TOTAL POINTS: 1980/2000

A lot of of the plan revolves around 2 woods coming out on my turn 1 from the acorn and Verdant Blessing on either side of the table. I'm struggling just a little with the objectives, but I have been pretty impressed by how it works. This helps to limit the 6" range of the season ability especially when combined with the 3 overgrown features. 

Between the quarry of the hunt allowing +1 to hit, Drycha granting +1 to wound for the spite-revenants and the Arch-revenant giving an additional +1 to wound (usually to the spiterider lancers) it can push out a decent level of damage. The damage output is improved further when Treesong can be cast.

When using the Treelord in combination with Drycha for a ground shaking stomp and roar helps to limit damage back and the enemy keeping units around. Healing is something I do find a bit challenging, despite having the 2 healing Spells and the faction ability. I was considering a unit of Revenant Seekers instead of the Treelord, but I think the versatility of the Treelord is more valuable. 

Anyways just wanted to share this and get some more thoughts on it. 

• 5 weeks later...