How to deal with hard targets?

Izikail

Hi. I am fairly new to destruction. Im more of the green persuasion than the tubby so when i ask this im looking for a slightly more bonespliterz/ironjawz answer.

How do you deal with uniquly hard targets? To name a few

Archon

Morathi

Negash

Stardrake: think gorks teeth will take these down fairly nicely

Intresting to note that none of these are from the distruction alegiance 

6 hours ago, Izikail said:

How do you deal with uniquly hard targets? To name a few

Here is an amazing dumb way to do it... Give your Maw Krusha the Sword of Judgment (Lets say on his choppa) and stack 2 or 3 war chanter buffs. Throw in +2 attacks from his CA. 

You now have 6 attacks and each 3+or 4+ you roll to hit will dish d6 mortals.

Bye Bye uniquely hard targets

Sword of Judgement is artifact 6 in realm of Ulgu Btw - Pick one of the bearer's melee weapons to be a Sword of Judgement. If the hit roll for an attack with that weapon against a Hero or Monster is 6+, the attack inflicts D6 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends.

Warchanters +1 to hit are one of the few stackable buffs left in the game. 

The unfortunate part of expansions is there is no way GW can account for all the combos... but Destro had to deal with Vwing and Changehost for the last 8 months so don't feel to guilty flying around with a Sword of Judgment till it gets an FAQ.

@svnvaldez knocks it out of the park!  Great shout mate.

The other ones I was thinking were:

- Magma Dragon (rend -3 and mortal wounds, but obviously uber expensive)

- Big Stabbas (although they have to get there without getting shot off - you might need to spam them)

- Magic (FOG as mentioned, but also you could gather a few Fungoids around a Spell Portal, pop their mushrooms, and start flinging spells through.  Including the warscroll spell from one on a Balewind, and Bone Krusha too if you're running Bonesplitterz)

- Against some of those you've mentioned, an Arrow Boyz alpha strike before they get the buffs off will do it.  Mirror Shield is obviously a bad matchup for them, but Nagash and Archaon can both go down in a one-er.  You will get guaranteed first dibs with Bonegrinz and their bases are too big to possibly be out of range of your minimum 15" move (if they deploy aggressively, you might get two units into range with a KR move on one, Hand move on the other).  Don't forget the rend -1 from Aim Fer Its Eyes!

1 hour ago, svnvaldez said:

Here is an amazing dumb way to do it... Give your Maw Krusha the Sword of Judgment (Lets say on his choppa) and stack 2 or 3 war chanter buffs. Throw in +2 attacks from his CA. 

You now have 6 attacks and each 3+or 4+ you roll to hit will dish d6 mortals.

Bye Bye uniquely hard targets

Sword of Judgement is artifact 6 in realm of Ulgu Btw - Pick one of the bearer's melee weapons to be a Sword of Judgement. If the hit roll for an attack with that weapon against a Hero or Monster is 6+, the attack inflicts D6 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends.

Warchanters +1 to hit are one of the few stackable buffs left in the game. 

The unfortunate part of expansions is there is no way GW can account for all the combos... but Destro had to deal with Vwing and Changehost for the last 8 months so don't feel to guilty flying around with a Sword of Judgment till it gets an FAQ.

Holy ******.

****** the cabbage put this ****** on a footboss and his choppa

You can protect him easier and his choppa comes with 6 attacks. Not to mention that you can use him as a second waaagh! Source.

Jesus this is terrifying.

Edit:

Even better idea. Put it on a warchanter. This gives you the +1 anyway rather cheaply and you want him for the combo.

More importantly if you roll a 6+ to hit you get an extra attack free. So with 3 WC's and a waaagh suddenly you have 5 attacks which on a 3+ inflicts d6 mortal wounds and then make a SECOND attack.

God's that sword is genius!

Edit 2: man this combo just keeps getting better! Because of the way it's worded you can make the initial attacks, they then inflict the mortal wounds and if you kill the target the second set don't even need to go after the now dead model.

You just get to make another attack for each roll of a 6+ it doesn't specify a target. Charge 2 monsters, make 6 attacks and resolve the mortal wounds, if the target is dead then make the extra attacks against the second monster!

Blessed by Gork is the Gork stick!

29 minutes ago, Malakree said:

God's that sword is genius!

or 'Broken' all a matter of prospective ?  

41 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

- Magic (FOG as mentioned, but also you could gather a few Fungoids around a Spell Portal, pop their mushrooms, and start flinging spells through.  Including the warscroll spell from one on a Balewind, and Bone Krusha too if you're running Bonesplitterz)

Run mixed Destro and insist you can set up a purple sun from the second portal rather than having to set it up next to the caster and move it through the portal (I'm so unclear on if that is legal or not... I have no idea what "the range and visibility of the spell can be measured from the second portal" is suppose to mean... Its certainly grey/abusive but whatever... I'm jaded by Vwing, so it's our turn!). You can have a Sword of Judgment MK and a Moonclan council of wizards throwing endless spells through the portal (That's under 1k). 

Did you guys hear on Facehammer about bubble wrapping the council with grots? So if the purple sun comes back through it is dispelled because they cant fit the base. -2 to hit those cave shamans with Look out sir and there Warscroll as well.

I like the Sword of Judgement on the MK with Ravager in mixed Destro. 3 up he moves 6, and one of those other heroes might roll a 6 for 6 more inches (You can do a similar thing with IJ.. 4+ from Megaboss General, then give him Mystical shield and Ironclad). Your looking at moving 24 then a re-rollable charge with CP. He has a fat base thou, hard to fit him in places. But especially in the early days at tournaments before people learn that this is filth you'll be cutting a lot of heads off... just make sure to claim the Megaboss thinks he is Archeon and has stole the slayer of kings...

Grimgore beat Arch once (Storm of Chaos)... so this is not crazy!

14 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Even better idea. Put it on a warchanter. This gives you the +1 anyway rather cheaply and you want him for the combo.

More importantly if you roll a 6+ to hit you get an extra attack free. So with 3 WC's and a waaagh suddenly you have 5 attacks which on a 3+ inflicts d6 mortal wounds and then make a SECOND attack.

Great shout on the Warchanter! I guess the big advantage of the Maw Krusha is that he can move so much quicker, as Sam touched on in his second post (although also harder to fit that big base in).  (As an aside, I carry a spare pie plate base at tournaments to see where he can fit before I move him, especially useful for charging over lines etc).

For a similar reason I would consider an allied Warboss on Boar for his command ability, that 9" movement + run should get you in the bubble.

31 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

I like the Sword of Judgement on the MK with Ravager in mixed Destro. 3 up he moves 6, and one of those other heroes might roll a 6 for 6 more inches (You can do a similar thing with IJ.. 4+ from Megaboss General, then give him Mystical shield and Ironclad). Your looking at moving 24 then a re-rollable charge with CP. He has a fat base thou, hard to fit him in places. But especially in the early days at tournaments before people learn that this is filth you'll be cutting a lot of heads off... just make sure to claim the Megaboss thinks he is Archeon and has stole the slayer of kings...

Grimgore beat Arch once (Storm of Chaos)... so this is not crazy!

Yep, you can also run and charge if you're willing to make a Fungoid your general, at the cost of a Command Point (can bump it up to a 6 if required and you have a second Command Point too).

That's some insane combos !

I don't know how we will be able to take allies in 2nd ed but 4 rock lobbers seems a good way to deal with hard target while giving us longe range power.

But honestly, this sword of madness+maw krusha+warchanters*2  is really better that Gordrakk ? Not really sure...

More Big Stabbas, there need be no other way. Bonesplitters movement shinanegans, Brutal Beast Spirts and Prophet command ability and if you have points then Teef Rukk. Monsters just can't hide.

Yes I am ignoring the fact they can be shot, hence more, more, more, more. ?

Just getting back into aos i have been list designing like mad. One of them is a list with a boneginz Warclan and 6*2 man gorks teef units so many attacks. If they die the ping mortals and roughly once per game one of the units will come back to do it again. Massivly gimiky but may be fun

Archived