Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

Wouldn't the reaping be 18 inches?

That branchwych is never getting use of that though. You'll have to get her into position, and then hope she gets a chance to pull up a balewind. Any spell that makes a bubble the caster means that he or she rarely survives long enough. Even if you get it up, she's dead in a turn guaranteed. 

It's a good idea but I just can't see you deliver her. If you really wanted it, then maybe look at Dreadwood, you could redeploy her 6 inches away, if you are one drop then it's a chance to get the balewind up. But even then, she's going to get shot off before using the reaping.

Just my thoughts though bud, would never want to dissuade someone from trying something different.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Wouldn't the reaping be 18 inches?

That branchwych is never getting use of that though. You'll have to get her into position, and then hope she gets a chance to pull up a balewind. Any spell that makes a bubble the caster means that he or she rarely survives long enough. Even if you get it up, she's dead in a turn guaranteed. 

It's a good idea but I just can't see you deliver her. If you really wanted it, then maybe look at Dreadwood, you could redeploy her 6 inches away, if you are one drop then it's a chance to get the balewind up. But even then, she's going to get shot off before using the reaping.

Just my thoughts though bud, would never want to dissuade someone from trying something different.

I read somewhere that for balewind u first double the inches than u add any range modifier.
Well i'm asking for thoughts so don't worry :)  Yeah Dreadwood seems powerfull but too expensive also i don't feel like painting 5 units of spite revenants

Just now, vesco said:

I read somewhere that for balewind u first double the inches than u add any range modifier.
Well i'm asking for thoughts so don't worry :)  Yeah Dreadwood seems powerfull but too expensive also i don't feel like painting 5 units of spite revenants

Only need 4 dude, and they spit out mortal wounds against low bravery, something people forget about the outcasts battalion

Hey everyone!

A brand new line of questions stemming from my latest game. Last night I had a match against my friend in our local store, who bought his Kharadron Overlords against my Sylvaneth. I was completely annihilated by a so called clown car. My dice rolls were abysmal and I had zero experience with his list so I had a bit of brainstorming about it. Now I know my positioning and woods placement were off but I still want an extra edge.

I have a 40 point hole in my list and I saw that a single Gryph-Hound could fill that up. After I read through the warscroll I have a couple of questions:

-How does the little doggie/birdie work against KO? The scroll says that when an enemy is set up within 10", the hound signals. Does this only work on the flanking airship, or does it work on the disembarking troops too? Scrolls say that you set up the skyfarer units so I guess it should work...

-If it does work do I roll for every single unit that appears? So in my case that would be 1 roll for the Frigate, 1 roll for a unit of Endrinriggers, 1 for a unit of Skywardens, 1 for an Arkanaut Company, and 1 for a Khemist. That means If everything comes together I shoot 5 times in their movement/hero phase?

-How does this interaction work with Drycha? If so far everything works as I presume and she gains 5 extra ranged attacks, and as an example she has Colony equipped, she shoots 5 AoE shots that has the chance to damage all arriving units?

I am sure that this is a highly improbable scenario, and it is more likely that I have misread some rules along the way, as I have little experience but I still want to hear your ideas. To tell the truth the G-hound would probably be used as zoning tool and not as a game winning centerpiece.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some input on a 1.5k sylvaneth list:

household and gnarlroot battalion

TLA - general 

- gift of ghyran

- acorn of the ages

- regrowth

Spirit of Durthu

- glamourweave

Branchwych

- Ranu's lamentiri

- the dweller's below

Loremaster

2x5 tree revenants

20 dryads

Idea is to get loremaster buffing durthu, TLA supporting with mystic shield and regrowth to make durthu a damage dealing and damage soaking turret. thought about swapping TLA and branchwych spell/artefact but decided regrowth is more important than extra mortal wounds. just going to get the wych near the frey to spread some MW.

I've never played a gnarlroot but really like the idea of it, especially the one drop but I have a couple of concerns playing it:

1) what do I do with a turn 1 hand of glory fail? e.g. by cast fail or unbind from a slaan etc. do I wait on going in or sacrifice the rerolls and hope I get it turn 2?

2) splitting dryads/ revenants to make 3 battleline, I decided on splitting the revs for more objective capping variability and want the dryads improved save and more chance to have a unit to restore units to in each hero phase but is this the best decision?

3) general sylvaneth question, my friend is threatening to bring a knight heraldor ally into his army which I see can be painful, I assume the tactic is wipe it out asap?

I feel that between TLA and durthu I have decent range, and supported by the branchwych once she's in position turn 2 onwards I should be able to get a lot of wounds out in hero and ranged phases. I considered drycha over durthu but decided as I can't really fit kurnoths for bows I'd rather go for ranged attacks that can nuke a hero over deplete battleline.

I'm still a very new player and explained my choices to hopefully get some input on whether I'm thinking down the right tactical lines

Hey everyone! I've recently put together a 2k Sylvaneth army and just yesterday started building. Reading through this forum gives the impression that people don't consider Sylvaneth a top army these days. Why do people feel that way? From what I've seen from tournament results and playing them myself they feel competitive. Though they may not be at the same level as say KO, Stormcast, Daughters, etc. they still seem like a competent army that if played well can succeed.

When I bought my army I wasn't looking to play the number one list. That being said they seem solid to me, well balanced, and in a better place then other armies (yes I'm staring at my BCR forces...). Any input on why people feel they aren't top of the pack anymore, armies they struggle with, pros/cons are greatly appreciated! Really excited to put the brush on these fantastic minis.

Cheers

Hi @cranc ! In my opinion 250p for a batalion is too much at this point range, at 2k that list could work well. At 1.5k, this list have worked well for me: TLA, drycha, bw, 20 dryads, 10 dryads, 5 tree rev, 2x3 kurnoth.

Talking about your list and your doubts:

1) As you have 1 drop, I would give the 1st turn to them, so if you fail the cast, you can compensate that with a 50% chance double turn.

2) It's perfect like this, 2x5 tree rev are better than 1x10, as you will have 2 scion and 2 reroll dice. Dryads better in a unit of 20 for the +1 save.

3) I have the same problem, my SCE friend always plays heraldors. You can try to snipe it with durthu, kurnoth or TLA, but he can protect him and it's hard to snipe if buffed. Instead, I always try to outplay him: if you can, give him the first wyldwood or set it up in the center, so he will have units there too. Set up the next wyldwoods out of range from him but next to you, so you can use them to teleport your units and not have them in risk. Spread your units wisely, don't put all of them in the same wyldwood. Drycha is also a good option, flitterfuries+arcane bolt double turn (statistically: 1,5+1,5+2=5 mortal wounds), it worked for me last game I faced him.

I'm not either an experienced or competitive player, but my friends are hard to beat and I have to build good lists and strategies. I hope my advice can help you!

3 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Hey everyone! I've recently put together a 2k Sylvaneth army and just yesterday started building. Reading through this forum gives the impression that people don't consider Sylvaneth a top army these days. Why do people feel that way? From what I've seen from tournament results and playing them myself they feel competitive. Though they may not be at the same level as say KO, Stormcast, Daughters, etc. they still seem like a competent army that if played well can succeed.

When I bought my army I wasn't looking to play the number one list. That being said they seem solid to me, well balanced, and in a better place then other armies (yes I'm staring at my BCR forces...). Any input on why people feel they aren't top of the pack anymore, armies they struggle with, pros/cons are greatly appreciated! Really excited to put the brush on these fantastic minis.

Cheers

Hey and welcome to playing angry trees!

In my experience, sylvaneth aren't viewed as competitive due to mortal wounds and synergies. We lack protection from the former, so anything that can throw out say 3d6 mortal wounds (a buddy has a very angry Khorne list that can do that with three models of d6 mortal wounds each) is going to take something off the table.

On the other hand, our synergies tie into wyldwoods (durthu, dryads, etc.), or have shorter range (tla command ability, although you can push it further with hunters). Our dryads are very efficient when buffed with mystic shield, in cover inside a wyldwood and above 11 models. Outside of all that, they're rather inefficient.

I also feel that our unit choices are somewhat limiting. Dryads or revenants as regular infantry, followed by the very elite hunters, with nothing inbetween.

Edited to add: I still find the faction fun to play, and it supports multiple playstyles rather well, I've had a list with durthu, tla and drycha do relatively well against a very good death player both pre- and post-LoN; there's a dreadwood wargrove player (I am so sorry for forgetting your name, Mirage maybe?) who does weird and awesome alpha strikes; some pages ago, there was a discussion on alpha bunkering (I'm slowly building up to an Ironbark list).

In closing, we aren't top tier, but we aren't in a bad place either.

I want to try this list to use Alarielle, I need to prox the model befor buy it but I started Sylvaneth thanks to Alarielle.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Scythes
- Greatbows

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

Spirit of Durthu role is the bodyguard of Alarielle, Branchwych have item to cast spells easy and set wood. 
What do you think?

@Mila il Bello I like the list. I’ve been running something really similar my last few games. I would say Alarielle as general is more impactful than Durthu despite dropping the trait. In the current meta with lots of mortal wounds using Durthu to effectively double Alarielles wounds is great, especially with the area effect healing. 

I love getting the briarsheath on Durthu for the potential -2 to hit in combat, it can really shut down problem units.

i realise that would mean dropping the reliable Wyldwoods which is a problem. I’ve personally been running a TLA to increase my odds of getting woods down without acorn or ranus. My list does mean very very few bodies on the table and if I had the dryads I would probably run something closer to yours with a kit changes 

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) - Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu (400) - Artefact: Briarsheath 
Treelord Ancient (300) - General, Gift of Ghyran, Verdant Blessing

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) - Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) - Greatbows
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Other list I play if interested:

Treelord Ancient (300) - GeneralWarsinger, Oaken Armour, Verdant Blessing
Spirit of Durthu (400) - Briarsheath 
Drycha Hamadreth (280) - Regrowth
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) - Greatbows
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
Free Spirits (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000

I'm in a bit of a pickle. There's a small local 1k tournament coming up a month, and I'm having a hard time settling on a list. 

I've been testing with this:

Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwych (80)
Branchwych (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)

Total: 960 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 62

I like it for the most part, but tend to fold against concentrated mortal wounds, which leads me to believe that spreading my offensive power out a bit more could be an improvement. I struggle with Duality of Death and do okay on other plans.

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
- Greatswords

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 72

This one is currently untested, going to field this next week. I'm starting to lean toward this one to get rerolling ones on armour saves and the option to blow up wyldwoods across the table if my opponent decides to camp one of them. Having two heroes available for scoring is tough, but I think the TLA is a pretty good self-sufficient addition.

Swords on the hunters because I have horrid luck with d3 damage and nobody else is playing 2+ reroll 1's durable things at the moment, plus I've only built one unit with swords and one with bows.

Am I missing something? Is there any glaring weakness in my lists other than the fact that certain amounts of mortal wounds will outpace my ability to heal them? Any alternative 1k lists you've used and like?

10 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

I'm in a bit of a pickle. There's a small local 1k tournament coming up a month, and I'm having a hard time settling on a list. 

I've been testing with this:

Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
Branchwych (80)
Branchwych (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)

Total: 960 / 1000
Wounds: 62

I like it for the most part, but tend to fold against concentrated mortal wounds, which leads me to believe that spreading my offensive power out a bit more could be an improvement. I struggle with Duality of Death and do okay on other plans.

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwych (80)
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
- Greatswords

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 72

This one is currently untested, going to field this next week. I'm starting to lean toward this one to get rerolling ones on armour saves and the option to blow up wyldwoods across the table if my opponent decides to camp one of them. Having two heroes available for scoring is tough, but I think the TLA is a pretty good self-sufficient addition.

Swords on the hunters because I have horrid luck with d3 damage and nobody else is playing 2+ reroll 1's durable things at the moment, plus I've only built one unit with swords and one with bows.

Am I missing something? Is there any glaring weakness in my lists other than the fact that certain amounts of mortal wounds will outpace my ability to heal them? Any alternative 1k lists you've used and like?

I would go for the 2nd list, I think is more solid than the first one. As you said all your damage come from one model, and thats too risky. Treelord ancient also has his amazing command ability, that makes your army very resistant. You can use kurnoth to increase its range and cover the whole army.

If you finally decide to go with the first one, I would add a gryph hound, I think it’s 40p.

I'll try the second one out against Ironjaws later today and see how it goes. I do worry a bit over losing a hero in my lineup as a backup scorer in some battleplans. The triumph I usually get is a great asset as well, reroll failed hits being the one I usually hope for. 

I still need to work on my game, I've lost too many games to bad wyldwood deployment. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Ultimately we won't see the whole picture before 2nd edition is out, but my immediate concern goes to the newcomers. Free summoning implies that it's no longer a 2000pts game, but perhaps a 2200pts game. I am not concerned about so called balance, but for what I loved about 1st edition: how friendly it was towards newcomers.

Free summoning and lower unit point cost across the board (?) raises the bar to enter the hobby, and I think that Wyldwoods is already an extra rl cost that makes Sylvaneth slightly more expensive than certain other armies. I don't want to have explain a newcomer that a 1000pts of Sylvaneth is not good enough for a 1000pts match, oh no, he/she/it need to buy additional models. And the additional units could also make games last longer, ugh.

I think that free summoning is good for Sylvaneth, but bad for the hobby. But all in all I am actually positive for 2nd edition, and we'll just have to wait and see what the new edition brings along. Maybe there will be an exodus of players to other games, maybe AoS 2nd edition will be merely ok, or maybe it will be so fantastic that I'll swoon by simply looking at the pictures!?

And while I'm at it, why not add sensible rules, like a maximum cap on Wyldwoods? I've heard stories of Sylvaneth players who bring along 10+ Wyldwoods for a game, and that is just ridiculous. But we all know that won't happen, because GW too have a family to feed.?

I agree with most of what you're saying, @Bohemond. I agree it seems to be a creep to some armies being 2k + a bit.

Two points I disagree with, Sylvaneth have always been like this with the Woods. I remember my first tourney turning up with 3 (I think) and quickly realising it was nowhere near enough. 1st few friendly games I played with none!

Similarly, don't like the idea of a limit on them. The limit comes from the terrain and spell limits. I take 9 along with me, never got beyond 7 put down, and that was exceptional.

1 hour ago, Lhw said:

Two points I disagree with, Sylvaneth have always been like this with the Woods. I remember my first tourney turning up with 3 (I think) and quickly realising it was nowhere near enough. 1st few friendly games I played with none!

Similarly, don't like the idea of a limit on them. The limit comes from the terrain and spell limits. I take 9 along with me, never got beyond 7 put down, and that was exceptional.

Yes, it is true that Sylvaneth has always been dependent on their woods. And I don't want that removed either, because it is thematically cool and a fun mechanic.? My point was simply that I believe some sort of restrictions can't hurt, although having enough terrain on the table usually solves this.

On a sidenote: I really like that the Branchwraith seems to be a real alternative to the Branchwych in this edition!

Edit: Come to think of it, perhaps the increased range to unbinds actually will limit our Wyldwoods.

19 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Nail on the head @Bohemond. But GW have decided this is the way to sell models, so summoning will be the best way to compete now. Along with the complexity AoS looks like introducing, it's not a beginner friendly game anymore  ?

For sure, AoS is not begginner Friendly. The first year, it was, sort of. But with the battletomes bringing so many additional rules, the GH bringing so many mathhammer, has it really been beginner friendly? I don't think so. It is more a passionate miniature lover hobby.

I think the biggest tell about the beginner friendliness of AoS is the sheer number of posts about "what the heck is counted in my allegiance" posts. Especially for chaos where their Battletome Names are NOT the names of their actual allegiance (and not to mention also including any model with a particular god keyword) causing much confusion on the warscroll app. 

As for summoning, it is a weird dichotomy of balance. Before 2.0, anyone who played matched play wondered what was the point of summoning rules (outside of things that were free like nurgle trees). And now everyone is losing their mind over free models.

Too many rules, layers and factions - great for people who dedicate all their spare time to it but its not an easy game to get into or have a casual game with anymore. Every unit has its own set of rules and it's all disconnected. The games often  end up too one sided. At least Sylvaneth get a much needed rebalancing - cheaper Hunters!!! yay! :) Summoning that actually works and isn't a handicap! yay! :D

They should just make 2 rule sets. Expert/Tournament and Casual quick play. Even most narrative players want a way to balance forces so points need to be in both.

13 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

They should just make 2 rule sets. Expert/Tournament and Casual quick play. Even most narrative players want a way to balance forces so points need to be in both.

I don't think this will happen, but I hope the rules stay in it's current four pages format. And that is less pages to read than my edition of Risk!?

And sure, all the different warscrolls do add complexity to the game. But a newcomer only need to learn his own warscrolls, perhaps four or five in a 1000pts match. All other warscrolls are not really relevant until later. The core rules and actual money you need to pour in an army decides the game's accessibility. I want AoS to be accessible, so we can have a healthy community growth.?

Also, I really like the look of the new artifacts! Put Entangling Blade on a Spirit of Duthu, and then debuff-slay enemy monsters and heroes. Love it! The Hypersnare Seeds seems powerful, but odd, because most of the time I want my opponent to charge recklessly into my deadly woods. Ha ha!

10 hours ago, Bohemond said:

I don't think this will happen, but I hope the rules stay in it's current four pages format. And that is less pages to read than my edition of Risk!?

And sure, all the different warscrolls do add complexity to the game. But a newcomer only need to learn his own warscrolls, perhaps four or five in a 1000pts match. All other warscrolls are not really relevant until later. The core rules and actual money you need to pour in an army decides the game's accessibility. I want AoS to be accessible, so we can have a healthy community growth.?

Also, I really like the look of the new artifacts! Put Entangling Blade on a Spirit of Duthu, and then debuff-slay enemy monsters and heroes. Love it! The Hypersnare Seeds seems powerful, but odd, because most of the time I want my opponent to charge recklessly into my deadly woods. Ha ha!

The war scroll are rules. There are too many. You want to know the scrolls your facing so you can plan for it but it's not always easy to find them. Especially if its behind a paywall on the AoS app. Your opponent can see yours but you cannot see their new stuff?  The rules on GW site are a pain to find one by one and many old ones are out of date. But I do agree I doubt they will make two sets - 1 simple and 1 Tourney player set. I want cheaper units so i can have bigger armies and use this big collection I have built up over the last 30 yrs

Archived