Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Double Misfire

AoS 2 - Ironweld Arsenal Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Thankee said:

 

Thanks buddy, this thread was an inspiration

I'd argue that dispelling, endless spells and missions where wizards are needed makes it worthwhile. It's very fast and also buffs steam tank and warriors!

Personally I'd drop those points for a Jade Battlemager or Knight Incantor to handle spell duty and a Runelord to buff the Longbeards up to -2 rend, but if you can pull off three Aspects and the Prime you can probably make a Hurricanum work in your sleep. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I am slowly being tempted into maybe possibly trying some stormcast at some point to go with my lord ordinator kitbash. But regular stormcast are icky so obviously the only right way to do it would to be to have them there simply to support MASSIVE BIG GUN CANNONS

 

Now that all being said has anyone tried using the celestar ballista in ironweld lists? I know it's a much shorter range so may not work too well as it won't be able to be buffed by the same heroes buffing the cannons. 

 

I will get back to my ironweld properly but got kharadrons and nighthaunt to knock through first. Hoping we'll start seeing some more batreps for the big guns soon ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So I am slowly being tempted into maybe possibly trying some stormcast at some point to go with my lord ordinator kitbash. But regular stormcast are icky so obviously the only right way to do it would to be to have them there simply to support MASSIVE BIG GUN CANNONS

 

Now that all being said has anyone tried using the celestar ballista in ironweld lists? I know it's a much shorter range so may not work too well as it won't be able to be buffed by the same heroes buffing the cannons. 

 

I will get back to my ironweld properly but got kharadrons and nighthaunt to knock through first. Hoping we'll start seeing some more batreps for the big guns soon ;) 

Guerilla Wargaming on YouTube used the Ballista in quite a few battle reports when AOS 2.0 came out. Seems to be quite good but like most artillery can be hit and miss. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironweld Arsenal related news!

(Not very impressive news, but I'll take what I can get right now)

I'm not sure how long this had been the case, but all Ironweld Arsenal items (including formerly Dwarf units) have now been moved on the GW online store and now exist under the Free Peoples tag.

 

(told you that was exciting ;))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I'm relatively new to AOS.  I play free peoples and Ironweld Arsenal primarily, and I'm here to idiot check things and make sure that I'm not missing anything obvious.  I'm running a Grand Alliance Order list with 4 Steam Tanks in it.  I've currently got 3 Excelsior Warpriests for healing the tanks and having their Demi-Gryphs let the tanks shoot at summoned things as they arrive, a Lord Ordinator to help the tanks shoot better, and a Freeguild General leading 60 Sword and Shield equipped Freeguild Guard to just be the defensive meat of the list while the tanks do most of the work.

Is my force idiotic?  Are there any issues that I'm missing?  I lack fast objective grabbers and the ability to dispel endless spells once cast, but outside of that I'm fairly happy with my force.  Game plan is to buy time in the middle of the table while the Steam Tanks do tons of damage at range and in melee, being steadily healed by the priests, and eventually win objectives by simply murdering the entire opposing force. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tiechonortheal said:

Hey all, I'm relatively new to AOS.  I play free peoples and Ironweld Arsenal primarily, and I'm here to idiot check things and make sure that I'm not missing anything obvious.  I'm running a Grand Alliance Order list with 4 Steam Tanks in it.  I've currently got 3 Excelsior Warpriests for healing the tanks and having their Demi-Gryphs let the tanks shoot at summoned things as they arrive, a Lord Ordinator to help the tanks shoot better, and a Freeguild General leading 60 Sword and Shield equipped Freeguild Guard to just be the defensive meat of the list while the tanks do most of the work.

Is my force idiotic?  Are there any issues that I'm missing?  I lack fast objective grabbers and the ability to dispel endless spells once cast, but outside of that I'm fairly happy with my force.  Game plan is to buy time in the middle of the table while the Steam Tanks do tons of damage at range and in melee, being steadily healed by the priests, and eventually win objectives by simply murdering the entire opposing force. 

Off the top of my head The gryph hound scroll has been updated and now only benefits the Stormcast so you’ll see no use of him in the force. Whilst he’s free is also doesn’t serve a lot of purpose

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would that be in an FAQ somewhere?  The Excelsior Warpriest Warscroll doesn't make that distinction, but it being modified via online update wouldn't surprise me.  They're free regardless, so I'm gonna take them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found it.  Noted.  Thanks for the heads up!

They're still more attacks, and they're single model units, so they can be used for space denial/screening to decent effect.

Edited by tiechonortheal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

Looking to start a mixed order Ironweld Arsenal army, and got a couple of questions:

Are Vostroyan models sufficiently "steampunk-y" to pass for Handgunners, if I focus on getting ones without obvious sci-fi bits (like cybernetics)? For IWA I mean, not Freeguild (though techincally they're freeguild - you know).

What is a good way to make a 'command tank' style Celestial hurricanum? I want it to match my steam tanks, as it will be acting as a command tank type function.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you have Vostroyans already they'll be hard to get as I'm pretty sure theyre out of production, to add to that they're also metal single piece models so converting will be... challenging at best. There are some decent models in guard ranged that could be used as a basis, krieg and solar auxilia are my list of base models to use for Ironweld conversions.

For command tanks you could simply transplant the hurricanum shrine in lieu of the turret for a team tank, maybe adding in some legs to make it a bit more steampunk going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Unless you have Vostroyans already they'll be hard to get as I'm pretty sure theyre out of production, to add to that they're also metal single piece models so converting will be... challenging at best. There are some decent models in guard ranged that could be used as a basis, krieg and solar auxilia are my list of base models to use for Ironweld conversions.

For command tanks you could simply transplant the hurricanum shrine in lieu of the turret for a team tank, maybe adding in some legs to make it a bit more steampunk going forward.

Hm, possibly. I don't actually like the Hurricanum shrine, but... mh.

As for the Vostroyans, I actually have a good bit of them and of the Solar Auxilia (mostly the Velitarii Storm Sections), so what sort of converting would you say is needed?

I actually was thinking that Krieg and SA might be too 'sci-fi-y' for steampunk, or at least for AoS. But there' s Kharadrons.... I am not sure anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My entire Ironweld Fantome uses solar auxilia as the basis. Weapon swaps and paint jobs go a long way in changing how sci-fi they look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any pictures?

The Vostroyans already had what I thought might pass for steampunk: metal breastplates, chainmail armor underneath, wooden-stock guns with metal bits, rad hats, and most of all...

the best moustaches.

vostroyan_firstborn_rifleman__front_by_n

I'm not sure what needs to change on him - but I would like to discuss it, so I can know whether to convert my Solar Auxilia or not. (Not my model, btw, but an example of what I was talking about.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the lascartridge on the gun that is the most notable of issues, I'd suggest shaving that segment off as its a bit of a glaring sign, other than that is shaving the imperial insignia off but he's pretty solid all around. 

For solar auxilia my Ironweld guys look like:
 

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Aw yeah, awesome!

Good point about the cartridge (the symbology was already obvious) - no reason IWA guns need box magazines.

Your stuff looks BA though. That's awesome!

Edited by Unit1126PLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 10:10 PM, Lightbox said:

Little unsure about it so far... Gonna have a cannon coming out the head hole. Feels a bit too streamlined I guess? Hard to say.

IMG_20180628_220436.jpg

How big is the servohauler compared to a steamtank? I know they're pretty big with a 120x92 base. Based conversion as always :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Floom said:

How big is the servohauler compared to a steamtank? I know they're pretty big with a 120x92 base. Based conversion as always :3

Cheers! Unfortunately I don't have a steamtank to compare. The servohauler is definitely smaller and thinner than the tank would be which is why it has the armiger body as the turret. Generally as long as the base size is correct and it's at least tall enough you should be okay.

I wouldn't recommend the servohauler bits I used on their own though as I used the small section however if you can have it pulling along a carriage or something with a turret on that'd probably work very nicely. The kit itself comes with lots of cool bits if you want the more industrial mechanical feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I wouldn't recommend the servohauler bits I used on their own though as I used the small section however if you can have it pulling along a carriage or something with a turret on that'd probably work very nicely. The kit itself comes with lots of cool bits if you want the more industrial mechanical feel.

True, I guess filling out the base is the goalpost. I was thinking of a model train wagon base and building around that; servohauler atop it with a platform for the rider above that, then fill out the rest with bits/dwarf miners, etc. Basically a Steamtank version of this. 'No clue what the source is unfortunately. 

d3004299439f425adef70607048ecf0e.jpg

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Floom said:

True, I guess filling out the base is the goalpost. I was thinking of a model train wagon base and building around that; servohauler atop it with a platform for the rider above that, then fill out the rest with bits/dwarf miners, etc. Basically a Steamtank version of this. 'No clue what the source is unfortunately. 

d3004299439f425adef70607048ecf0e.jpg

Sounds like a great idea :) would love to see it happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I get some thoughts on this list? Is Greywater too sub-optimal with 1.5kpt's artillery limit? I know the volley gun has range and los disadvantages compared to the rocket battery, but 3 or 2d6 shots seems fun and a likely with a dedicated Gunmaster to be within 1" for rerolls. I haven't played a game yet, so maybe the 5" move would be crippling if battleplans require you to set up by a table edge. 

Strategy: 
-Steamtank rushes the enemy with the lord ordinator and battlemage, who handles healing it 
-The 20 Longbeards may accompany it
-Warden King and Longbeards grab an objective or contest something 
-Hellblasters and Gunmaster shoot something

Allegiance: Greywater Fastness
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Hoarfrost
Battlemage (120)
- Specialisation: Jade
- Allies
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Gunmaster (80)

Battleline
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Axes or Hammers
20 x Longbeards (200)
- Axes or Hammers

War Machines
Helblaster Volley Gun (120)
Helblaster Volley Gun (120)
Steam Tank (260)

Endless Spells
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 90
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Floom

I haven't played many games of AoS recently, so I'm not sure how good my list advice is, feel free to disregard it!

Unless you prefer the models (which is always the best justification for taking anything), Organ Guns are mildly better than Helblasters for exactly the same points, with better range and more reliability.

I'm not sure Endless Lifeswarm is worth it's points either, and would look at swapping it out for an offensive spell like the Geminids, or Soulsnare Shackles to slow your opponent down with.

I'd also be worried about your list not having the mobility to secure objectives in most matched play scenarios, and would think about adding a Gyrocopter or two, or some Aetherwings as cheap objective grabbers. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ironweld Arsenal fans!

Big update for me, as I'm finishing up getting the army painted, I've had an opportunity to test it using unpainted models.
The Mixed Order force was a good opportunity to start a local community Free City, getting input from all the Order players about how we decided to play it. So far, I've got interested:

  1. Myself (Ironweld Arsenal)
  2. Like 15 Stormcast players (lol)
  3. A Wanderers player
  4. an Idoneth Deepkin player (trying to integrate him into the fluff and list is hard but we'll get it sorted soon)
  5. an undecided player who is looking at Dispossessed, but also has Stormcast.

So, the list is going to be a mix of factions who all share the same Free City. Right now, coincidentally, I've been able to use the Greywater Fastness rules., which may eventually see a version of this post in the Free Cities thread.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about my list. I've got two possibilities, with the second having a lot of sub variations. Consider the following:

List 1:

Spoiler

Leaders: 

  • Celestial Hurricanum 380
  • Lord Ordinator 140
  • Gunmaster 80

Battleline:

  • 1x Liberators 100
  • 1x Freeguild Guard with swords and shields 80
  • 1x Glade Guard 120

Behemoths:

  • 3x Steam Tank 780

Artillery:

  • 2x Cannons

List 2 (with 200 free points)

Spoiler

Leaders: 

  • Celestial Hurricanum 380
  • Lord Ordinator 140

Battleline:

  • 1x Liberators 100
  • 1x Freeguild Guard with swords and shields 80
  • 1x Glade Guard 120

Behemoths:

  • 3x Steam Tank 780

Artillery:

  • 2x Celestar Ballistae

The questions between the list are:
1) Are celestar ballistae worth the 60 point discount? They'll still be my backfield artillery, and I do know they're worse than cannons, but they're SO much cheaper and need no engineer.

2) What should I spend the 200 extra points on?

The basic plan is blob the 3 Steam Tanks around the Lord Ordinator and Celestial Hurricanum, making them hit on 2s in shooting and in combat, while the backfield artillery and objectives are protected by the Freeguild Guard, and the Liberators provide some stopping power (some!) in melee, and the Glade Guard offer some long-range shooting that is more "wastable" on screening units than cannons.

The other list loses the cannons, but the basic steam tank deathstar remains, and the extra 200 points could add extra mobility or flexibility etc...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey guys!

Long time no see :)

I'm back with a funny rules question. I know the whole idea of mixing dwarven artillery and magic is sacrilege but since our armies are always just plain Order, I've been thinking about adding a wizard and the Emerald Lifeswarm... which brings me to my question:

The rules state that enemy attacks can target either our war machines or the crew, but would it be possible to use the Lifeswarm to bring back crew, even if all three of them are wiped out? The rules of the Lifeswarm read pick 1 unit within 1" of it. You can either heal D3 wounds that have been allocated to that unit or, if no wounds are currently allocated to the unit, you may return a number of slain models to it that have a combined Wounds characteristic equal to or less than the roll of a D3.

If, for the sake of this rule, the Cannon and its crew can be considered the same unit, then a roll of 5 or a 6 would bring back 160 points worth of utility (the spell itsef costs 60 points, though).

What do you guys think?

Edit: I realize my "Long time no see" only makes sense to those who were fans of the previous thread, Let's Chat: Ironweld Arsenal 

Edited by oscisi
Clarification
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Unit1126PLL Cool list concepts. The limited range on a Celestar Ballista's rapid fire (and thus effective) shots means that they're generally only thought to be effective with special deployment rules under Stormcast or Living City allegiance - you could try sacrificing early game shooting, or pushing them forward aggressively with Chronomantic Cogs in a Tempest's Eye list (cast reliably by an allied Darkling Coven Sorceress), but you're probably better off taking a trio of Waywatchers for the cost of two and an Ordinator +20 points if you're sticking to Greywater Fastness (Cannons are also in a really bad way and desperately, desperately need a combined crew profile, are you listening GW).

 

Hey @oscisi, welcome back. :D 

Pretty sure artillery and their crews act as seperate units, nice thought though. :( 

(HURRY UP AND GIVE US NEW WARSCROLLS GW, I FEEL LIKE A CHAOS DWARF PLAYER HERE)

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Double Misfire thanks for the warm welcome.  I’ve been focusing on Bretonnia and Endless Spells since the last GHB came out but I think this summer might see me return to dwarfs and guns! :)

Unfortunately I have to agree with you that it seems the most correct to read the rules like you propose. I wonder if GW know how much a separate crew screws us over (they probably do since they decided to spare all Stormcast players of it). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...