AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey guys 

I think it would be nice to try the Ashen himself but I am not sure he is worth it.

I like the model, he is fast for a dwarf with 15“ and his spell is not bad. And with mystic shield he is more durable.

But 320 points are a lot and other armies get better characters for this points. In melee is is not very good too.

He can everything a bit but nothing realy good. Has everyone played him? Or is he better than I think?

On 4/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, Ravinsild said:

I’m everyone’s experience what makes Bull Centaur so bad? 

Its not that they're bad. I think most people expect too much from them.

They're mobile road blocks. Fast for a mostly slow army. 

What I've used them for is to pin down an opponent. Shove them out, make them deal with them, or send them on the wing of something.

They're not amazing in their power, but they're fairly durable, and pretty inexpensive. 
I've found the spitesheilds do a chunk of work if you toss mystic shield on them/ send them against a rend -0/-1 opponent. 

Shove your ironsworn/glaives behind them, grab the objectives and never let go. It should take most armies several turns to deal with that. By then, you've scored a lot of points. It sure as hell ain't glamorous, but it does the job. 

I figured they were just objective grabbers like you send them against the enemies backline token squad of 10 boys and slaughter them and take the point, or to break a weak side like if the majority of their force is on the right of the table send them left and funnel them into your guns by crumpling their weak side. 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I was planning on running the Executioner and Tauruk HQ 

I'd be wary of taking Shar'Tor The Executioner. He can be pretty fragile and while his MW output is helpful, it is inconsistent. Tauruk tends to hit harder, more consistently. At least in my experience. I've only played him twice and both times, he was quickly killed cuz he stands out on the battlefield and will be immediately targeted by your opponent. He should have 10W at least, not 8.

EDIT~!: He is fun to paint tho

Edited by Televiper11
  • Like 1

Hey guys, so I have never played Aos or any war game for that matter but finally resolved to start a LoA list. I plan on buying a black shard warhost and daemonsmiths to start and then adding an artillery battalion down the line. As a new player I have two major questions, my original plan was to have three death shriek rockets in the battalion so I could spread them out to cover against deep strikes and coming on from off the table edge, but would it just be better to use three magma cannons for the mortal wounds?

And I haven't seen any mention of it so the next question is with the iron daemon would it be good to run an emerald life swarm with it so I can just power up to 4d6 every turn and just take the d3 or are there just better options to pursue?

16 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

he was quickly killed cuz he stands out on the battlefield and will be immediately targeted by your opponent.

Agree, that he's fragile, but if the opponent concentrates on killing him, your other units should make it into CC....

I'd rather have him kill Shartor than my Taur'ruk General

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lamekh said:

Agree, that he's fragile, but if the opponent concentrates on killing him, your other units should make it into CC....

I'd rather have him kill Shartor than my Taur'ruk General

Excellent point. Though at the point cost to field Shartor, I'd rather take more infantry or artillery.

I've had very good success with Tauruk and 6-9 Bull Centaurs. They don't hit very hard at 4/3/-1/2 but if you spend 2 command points on the Tauruk to make them 3 attacks hitting at 2/3/-1/2 and 3 hoof attacks they will put in way more work than you expect. 

Units of 6 do very well, units of 9 block half the table off and can be a serious speedbump for your shooting units. 

Edited by Hebroseph
  • Like 2

I've wanted to try a maxed out 12 Centaur unit.  It's a nice point discount and an even bigger speedbump, though I suppose 2 6-model units is better for mitigating debuffs (or the rare Jabberslythe effect).  I think Shartor is good for the extra mortals he can do and the rerolling charge roll ability.

Oh yes, I would play him for the same reason I like the Verminlord Warpseer with my Skaven.  His command ability provides a huge anti-battleshock bubble, and he's a 2 casting wizard, and can be decent in combat if needed (best with the Castellan helping the wound rolls).  So for Draz I like him with a Blackshard Warhost or just bunches of infantry, or huge units of the Bull Centaurs or K'daai.  That way you don't have to use multiple CPs for multiple Inspiring Presences.

• Thanks 1

I've never had good luck with him. You will get better mileage out of two Bull Tauruks to spread the inspiring presence and then actually bring the damage in melee. I have brought him to 9 tournament matches and he has never performed anything for me. His spell is hard to get off, and impossible vs some match ups. Daemon smith cast fireball just as well, Tauruks do better damage, the only thing he brings is speed. 

• Thanks 1

I typically bring Draz in my lists, its an awesome model and has some movement flexibility due to having his flying mount. For his cost, I do find him a bit squishy, and I wish that he could hold more of a presence in combat, or that they'd give us a melee mounted chaos dwarf leader. When he gets too beat up, fly him out of combat and use his spells and dispels to help in the magic phase, and when needed, position him where he can use his battle shock command ability. Best of luck!

I have the model, and really don't see a use for it/him. 
Sad, as it's a phenomenal model! 

Reasons listed above: 

• The spell isn't reliable to get off
  • Price (cash and point)
  • Not very tanky
  • Low damage output for the points.

There's a lot more you can do with Demonsmith + Taruk (and leftover points) or even delve into allies.

I've been recently fascinated by Taruks/Shartor. Their damage output is absurd. Some of the best in Chaos.
I've played Maggotkin / Nurgle since GHB1 and have felt that Chaos lacks serious damage dealers. (It has them, just not a lot) 
The Taruks offer so much raw damage. Couple with the cheap support; I'd rather have two taruks over Draz anyday (or 2 daemonsmiths & one Taruk)

I'd have to agree; just saying that if one were to run Draz he's best with bigger units, like an Azgorh horde.  2 Tauruks=30 Fireglaives, whom I'd wager would do at least as much damage as 2 Tauruks over the course of a game.....assuming they didn't run away!  Oh how I don't want to paint more models anytime soon; I'm still not done with my Clan Eshin 😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'd have to agree; just saying that if one were to run Draz he's best with bigger units, like an Azgorh horde.  2 Tauruks=30 Fireglaives, whom I'd wager would do at least as much damage as 2 Tauruks over the course of a game.....assuming they didn't run away! 

Exactly!
If you're running the blackshard host, Draz could be a game changer. Use him to hit the flanks and keep those 2 units of 30 glaives/iron stalwart.  Each of my lists always veers back to 30 ironsworn....

Oh how I don't want to paint more models anytime soon; I'm still not done with my Clan Eshin

haha. The struggle is all to real. I can empathize. 
That being said, google docs is your friend. Great for keeping track of 'to do/ progress'. My gaming group uses it to keep track of goals prior to GT etc. 

List I'm toying around with.
(need to obtain the K'daai. Proxying w friends at the moment)

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)

Units
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 260 / 400
Wounds: 127

May toss shackles in here to help keep the enemy at bay and get the ironsworn onto an objective.

The idea is, heavy hitters line up, and lay waste. Kdaai move to the back of the board after the heavy hitters, threatening objectives. 
Most everything is disposable. 
Keep the General-Taruk with the ironsworn / mid field to deal with any threats. 

Corruptor has a nasty spell. His many attacks may proc the sword of judgment. He can deal with rank and file easily. The sword will let him deal with nasty characters/ monsters.

Zero idea how the K'daai will actually fare. 

Anyone here taken their LoA into Ulgu? I'm wary of the shooting restrictions so thought I'd try this 1K list:

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 

Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 980 
Wounds: 66

I thought I'd plant my Daemonsmith behind the Magma Cannon, flank it with the two units of Ironsworn who would march up the board to take objectives while Shar'tor & Taur'ruk reap havoc among their heroes, etc.  Maybe I should make Taur'ruk the general?

2 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Anyone here taken their LoA into Ulgu? I'm wary of the shooting restrictions so thought I'd try this 1K list:

Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)  <--- this guy

I thought I'd plant my Daemonsmith behind the Magma Cannon, flank it with the two units of Ironsworn who would march up the board to take objectives while Shar'tor & Taur'ruk reap havoc among their heroes, etc.  Maybe I should make Taur'ruk the general?

Yeah. Make the Taruk the general. 
Those traits/ artifacts are kinda wasted on the Daemonsmith. Esp if you're gonna have him hiding out with the Magma cannon.

At 1k, he'll do some hurt. 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Blackspine said:

List I'm toying around with.
(need to obtain the K'daai. Proxying w friends at the moment)

May toss shackles in here to help keep the enemy at bay and get the ironsworn onto an objective.

The idea is, heavy hitters line up, and lay waste. Kdaai move to the back of the board after the heavy hitters, threatening objectives. 
Most everything is disposable. 
Keep the General-Taruk with the ironsworn / mid field to deal with any threats. 

Corruptor has a nasty spell. His many attacks may proc the sword of judgment. He can deal with rank and file easily. The sword will let him deal with nasty characters/ monsters.

Zero idea how the K'daai will actually fare. 

Can you give allies a Relic? I thought they didnt get relics, couldnt be general and don't get thier lore, only the spells on their sheet?