AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Has anyone managed much success running Morgaunt? Defo seems like the red headed step child of the courts.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict they drop to 80pts for 10 in GHB 21. 

Also feel that with potential battalion losses incoming and move to generic our strong Mordants build will be thing of the past, competitive wise.

Putting to one side what we don’t know about said generic battalions, the meta will, I’m guessing, shift somewhat with greater focus on effective sub-factions and command traits. 

How do people think we’d fair in that climate?

Finally, I’m one of them jammy ‘c u next Tuesdays’ that got two copies of Cursed City (haters gonna hate), how rad are the Vargskyrs?! Absolutely binning off the old Vargs.

Hello,

Is anyone able to use the AZYR app to make FEC lists that use a grand court? 

I’m trying to make a blister skin list but I constantly get an invalid warning saying I can’t choose a delusion, even though I haven’t actually selected one.

Am I doing something wrong?

5 minutes ago, Kaizennus said:

Hello,

Is anyone able to use the AZYR app to make FEC lists that use a grand court? 

I’m trying to make a blister skin list but I constantly get an invalid warning saying I can’t choose a delusion, even though I haven’t actually selected one.

Am I doing something wrong?

It‘s a big I am also encountering. Just ignore it ^^

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit suprised that nobody is tlaking about the new Raukar the ebst model and useing him as the basis for an Ushoran conversion. If you would lengthen the claws,add in some extra armour and converting the existing stuff into banged up plate mail and add a more bat like or arch regeant like head with a flowing cape at the back, I think it could be perfect! You cna even convert the two vamps on the base into Strigoi retainers! For the arms some wings can be added ala the arch regeant.  What do you all think? If anyone has some photoshop skills to play around with the idea, it would be appreciated! The pics are for some inspiration.

8idrw0pytxw61.png

FEC.jpg

• Like 1

I got my first few games in and had a blast. Playing as FEC was a lot of fun and I’m excited to play a 2k game next time (played 1k since I didn’t have a chance to finish assembling yet).

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for videos or guides on two things:

1) assembling the terrorgeist. I... really botched my first one and couldn’t assemble it properly. I followed the printed instructions but couldn’t get all the legs/wings to align properly.

2) guides on how to approach magnetizing the terrorgeist. I have the drill and some tiny magnets for minis. I had trouble transporting my models, particularly the terrorgeist (I have an hour long subway ride to get to the gaming club). I have no idea how I’ll transport two of them. I think magnetic wings could help though.

Thanks in advance. I hope I’m not asking for help too frequently here! 

Edited by Kaizennus
Grammar
  • Like 3

On 5/9/2021 at 2:21 AM, Kaizennus said:

I got my first few games in and had a blast. Playing as FEC was a lot of fun and I’m excited to play a 2k game next time (played 1k since I didn’t have a chance to finish assembling yet).

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for videos or guides on two things:

1) assembling the terrorgeist. I... really botched my first one and couldn’t assemble it properly. I followed the printed instructions but couldn’t get all the legs/wings to align properly.

2) guides on how to approach magnetizing the terrorgeist. I have the drill and some tiny magnets for minis. I had trouble transporting my models, particularly the terrorgeist (I have an hour long subway ride to get to the gaming club). I have no idea how I’ll transport two of them. I think magnetic wings could help though.

Thanks in advance. I hope I’m not asking for help too frequently here! 

How were you transporting? A magnetized carry case might work. When my husband first started playing he was using a metal tool chest. 

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Even worse will they be removed from FEC? 

FEC wasn’t able to ally with Soulblight before, because of mad cow/vampire disease... but now we‘re buddies.

Good thing FEC wasn’t integrated into SBGL 🥳🤸‍♂️🤣

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

I am considering getting into Flesh Eater Courts, BUT are they a safe pick? I mean, is there a risk that they will past in the months/years to come? The Soulblight Gravelords will they replace the mad bretonnians? 😄

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

10 hours ago, TribalFox said:

I mean, is there a risk that they will past in the months/years to come?

They are still pretty strong and considering the small variety, a lot of fancy cool lists are possible.

And Gravelords are definitely a fully separate faction, but what the future brings, nobody knows...

aos 3.0 will bring lots of changes to core rules, like the +\- max 1 buff rule or the rumored scrapping of unique battalions and a smaller playing field...

so  go ahead and buy start collecting boxes and an archregent 🙈

look for varghulfs and then some 🤣

How many points do you guys think would be fair for a custom Varghulf, the addition being it can cast and unbind 1 spell like the Abhorrant Ghoul King warscroll (ie it has the Dark Acolyte effects by default)?

And on page 5 of the battletome, it says that mortal, daemon and undead armies fight, flesh eaters often go to battle "both with and against them". Does anyone know of a story where the flesh eaters fight on the same side as Chaos?

Edited by JackOfBlades

8 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

How many points do you guys think would be fair for a custom Varghulf,

Well, roughly 30-50... it‘ll be 190-210 points, just under the Archregent

8 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

on the same side as Chaos?

ve vould never do thuch a thing...🤴

• Thanks 1

With gaming back open I'm giving my FEC another run out on Tuesday, whilst I get my Gravelords units painted up.

Going to run Hollowmordants with a mounted terrorgheist. First time playing against the new and improved Nurgle and first time with the Smash Bat. Let's see what it can do in the face of minuses to hit and rerolling 6s. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:37 AM, Liquidsteel said:

With gaming back open I'm giving my FEC another run out on Tuesday, whilst I get my Gravelords units painted up.

Going to run Hollowmordants with a mounted terrorgheist. First time playing against the new and improved Nurgle and first time with the Smash Bat. Let's see what it can do in the face of minuses to hit and rerolling 6s. 

So the game was pretty tough. I took AAR, GKoTG, Smashbat, with 30/10 ghouls and 6/6 flayers/horrors with Chalice. Opponent brought Munificent Wanders Tallyband with 2 GUO's, Scrivener and Bilepiper plus two big and two small units of Plaguebearers. We rolled Blade's Edge for the mission and I knew it would be an uphill battle.

He was one drop, took the first turn and covered 5 of the objectives, and posed the question of "can you take these back from me"? The answer was "no" and the game ended 17-11 with me effectively tabled.

Overall I made a few mistakes, however ultimately he was just too resilient. Negatives to hit, ignoring rend -1, bouncing mortals back on 6s to hit as well as saves on the GUOs were punishing. I failed a lot of casting (GKoTG didn't cast a single spell over 3 turns and I failed Ferocious Hunger turns 2 and 3), and despite Feeding Frenzy the GKoTG only 8 wounds to a GUO, who dealt 13 back to him from attacks + mortals. I also left my ghouls outside of Inspiring Presence range when I sent the smashbat in to kill his small heroes, meaning I lost the unit despite having the chalice on 30+ counter.

I could have played it much better with my target selection and charges, but was nice to dust off the cobwebs and get back to rolling dice. 

• Sad 1

Hey everyone! It’s been a while. I never was able to get the time to build my FEC between my move and jobs. But I’m looking to get back into it. I see recently the Feast Day Ghoul Patrol list has kind of fallen out of favor. Are there any ways to still play with a bunch of ghouls, maybe include a Varghulf in the main list instead of summoning it in? I see Royal Mordants sees some play nowadays. Thanks!

3 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

Ghoul Patrol list has kind of fallen out of favor.

Yes, Royal mordants is the cheese, but that doesn’t mean the patrol is invalid...

sadly it lost some power (no extra ghouls), but the board control aspect is still strong.

throw in some distractions GKoTG or flayers and your opponent might be busy, till it‘s too late

44 minutes ago, Honk said:

Yes, Royal mordants is the cheese, but that doesn’t mean the patrol is invalid...

sadly it lost some power (no extra ghouls), but the board control aspect is still strong.

throw in some distractions GKoTG or flayers and your opponent might be busy, till it‘s too late

What do you mean no extra ghouls? Were we getting extra ghouls to begin with?

Would a Feast Day list with Royal Mordants be strong enough? Also is the goal to keep the Varghulf in close with the Flayers?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

What do you mean no extra ghouls?

Back in the first book, you got d6 extra ghouls per hero phase, even above the unit size...that was pretty cheesy.

Royal mordants works through its speed... flinging fully buffed 6 flayers across the board (12“ in HP, 12“ in MP then charge) or in hollowmourne with the CA you‘ll get run&charge and +1“ to the roll... so about 16“during HP (12+3+1) another 16“ during movement and then 8“ (7+1) charge, total of 40“.

SUMMON up a varghulf to have a hero nearby and those flayers will wreck face with frenzy and if they are not deleted... all the better. next round superbuff your battalion varghulf (maybe the general artifact fits) and send it somewhere to hurt something...

The respective court is just the flavor topping for the battalion, blisterskin is for speed, deepstrike CA and extra CP on 4+
gristlegore for the GKoTG general and extra hits on 6, something that flayers also like.

feast day is just pure frenzy and I always take an infernal as general (flayers bl) and give him the wizard trait 

The trouble for mordants is positioning, they have to land between the hops and support. A lone squad of flayers deep in enemy territory... 6 cost 340, so they need to kill 400+ points on impact. If your Regent summons a support Varghulf, they need to kill 550+ points or significantly hinder your opponent. Take out vital support pieces, distract,cripple a big threat...

Just think about an attack into your lines, if your opponent send in something very expensive and it kills only 5 of 6 flayers before getting ripped... you regen and thx for the good talk. But if it kills your regent and a varghulf before your first turn, also brackets your GkoTg down to 10“/8“ move 🙁 sad face

Edited by Honk

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Back in the first book, you got d6 extra ghouls per hero phase, even above the unit size...that was pretty cheesy.

Royal mordants works through its speed... flinging fully buffed 6 flayers across the board (12“ in HP, 12“ in MP then charge) or in hollowmourne with the CA you‘ll get run&charge and +1“ to the roll... so about 16“during HP (12+3+1) another 16“ during movement and then 8“ (7+1) charge, total of 40“.

SUMMON up a varghulf to have a hero nearby and those flayers will wreck face with frenzy and if they are not deleted... all the better. next round superbuff your battalion varghulf (maybe the general artifact fits) and send it somewhere to hurt something...

The respective court is just the flavor topping for the battalion, blisterskin is for speed, deepstrike CA and extra CP on 4+
gristlegore for the GKoTG general and extra hits on 6, something that flayers also like.

feast day is just pure frenzy and I always take an infernal as general (flayers bl) and give him the wizard trait 

So with that being said, what should I start building towards? Royal Mordants? I know I want a ATKoRTG and ghouls on the field (maybe not as many as Morgaunt field). Also it sounds like having two Varghulfs is a pretty solid choice? I’ve also heard about Smash Bat strategy... is it better to Hollowmourne for that or Feast Day and have the V pile in again?

Also now its pretty mandatory to summon an extra Varghulf instead of 20 ghouls?

And do I send the first Varghulf with the Flayers or do I have the summoned one be near them? It seems like the Varghulf from the battalion can’t keep up with the Flayers to give them frenzy, unless I’m missing something. (Edit: I confused the range of Frenzy and Muster. 12” from the Varghulf for Frenzy is a much easier ask.)

It seems pretty complicated to someone still newer to the army.

Edited by KibaWildFang
  • Haha 1

I have come up with an interesting list that sort of encompasses all I want to do with the army.

Feast Day

Abhorrent Archregent (General: Dark Wizardry, the Dermal Robe)

AGKoRTG (Spectral Host, Gruesome Bite)

10 Ghouls

10 ghouls

~Royal Mordants~
Vargulf

6 Flayers

3 Horrors

40 Ghouls

Charnel Throne

Extra CP

total: 1970

My question: is the extra CP mandatory, or should I cut it for a Crypt Ghast Courtier to go with the 40 ghouls to ensure muster/frenzy?

Update: the other alternative is running them as Hollowmourne. The difference is I run one less squad of Ghouls because the Horrors I have to take become battleline, the Mordant Varghulf I take becomes the General (because Graverobber is better on him) and he takes the Corpsefane gauntlet. This allows me access to the Hollowmourne command ability, and furthermore lets me take the extra CP and the Crypt Ghast while also sort of playing Smash Bat.

Edited by KibaWildFang

On 5/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, KibaWildFang said:

what should I

On 5/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, KibaWildFang said:

My question:

On 5/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, KibaWildFang said:

Also it sounds like

You‘ll have to feel it for yourself. It all depends on your opponent, its list and skill level, then the victory conditions and what happens, when the first dice come flying...

usually my regent summons a varghulf, but for objective/backfield security, there was this game 😅 the only truth varghulf or ghouls, never other courtiers, because why...

looking at your lists (sober this time 🥳) I need to try out a defensive mordant list, with 40 ghouls to slingshot roughly 18“ across the board to some far away objective. I‘m always too focused on  assault... 🤔