AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 minutes ago, Belmail said:

Thanks for the clarification on the beastmen rules, makes sense now that I read the faq! 

And yeah I really just want to use a bunch of knights for rule of cool, they look awesome and I never see anybody run a heavy cavalry based army so it would at least stand out on the table(more than it could by already being pink and slaaneshi.)

I was also pretty curious about DPs, they're obviously good for the high wounds for generating..well..DPs but their array of weapons feels rather lackluster compared to their 40k counterparts. I'm just getting into Slaanesh AoS-wise but I run a DP often in my Emperor's Children lists for 40k, they just don't seem to have the punch other heroes might have. 

Yeah, they can be kind of a let down. However, the artifacts from Malign Sorcery can beef them up quite a bit. (as well as any other hero😉)

1 hour ago, Belmail said:

Thanks for the clarification on the beastmen rules, makes sense now that I read the faq! 

And yeah I really just want to use a bunch of knights for rule of cool, they look awesome and I never see anybody run a heavy cavalry based army so it would at least stand out on the table(more than it could by already being pink and slaaneshi.)

I was also pretty curious about DPs, they're obviously good for the high wounds for generating..well..DPs but their array of weapons feels rather lackluster compared to their 40k counterparts. I'm just getting into Slaanesh AoS-wise but I run a DP often in my Emperor's Children lists for 40k, they just don't seem to have the punch other heroes might have. 

Princes do not feel like what they SHOULD be, even in 40k but especially in AoS. They should be epic leaders, inspiring to other and absolutely brutal in combat. After all, they are both proof of the reward of immortality, but also the culmination of a long quest for power. The idea eclipses the rules...

But anyways, for rules they are fine. Flying is SUPER useful, and they are still good at combat, just not phenomenal. They are, IMO, best for Slaanesh as Slaanesh wants big wound/high damage heroes for Depravity. Short of Keeper of Secrets and maybe Lord on Manticore, he is the best option in that regard.

• Like 3

Hello all.  

I finally am getting the chance to try out some Age of Sigmar.  I am a tad confused on the list building which is something I am not to used to.  I been playing 40k more.  I am going to use my Slaanesh demons next Sunday.  Problem is I cant decide on a list.  I am going to port over my demons as thats all I will have.

I currently have the following, 80 demonettes, 15 seekers, 3 seeker chariots, 3 hellflayer chariots, 2 demon princes, exalted greater demon, 3 fiends, 3 hearlds on foot, 1 on steed, and the masque.  

I am just not liking the lists I am making and the princes just seem kinda worthless like they do in 40k.  I was going to go with the seekers but after looking things over Pretenders seems a better way to go with the extra command trait and reroll of 1s.   I am just unsure of what to try as I am still new.  Any advice be nice, as I am just learning this system.  

I thought I share some of my army from a event I took them to this summer.  

20180824_192008.jpg

20180824_192028.jpg

20180824_192033.jpg

20180824_192104.jpg

20180824_192119.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

3 hours ago, Sume said:

I currently have the following, 80 demonettes, 15 seekers, 3 seeker chariots, 3 hellflayer chariots, 2 demon princes, exalted greater demon, 3 fiends, 3 hearlds on foot, 1 on steed, and the masque.  

Out of them, the best units are daemonettes (always run them in units of 30) and the exalted greater daemon (with the right build). All of the other stuff is decent though, so you can use any of it - the daemon princes aren't that good in combat, but they are good for depravity points. 

• Like 1

@Sume I only started playing Slaanesh a wee while ago, but after playing S2D for a while i really feel that Daemon Princes in AoS are actually more of a hunter-killer unit than a power house. The one time I proxied in a keeper, it outperformed a prince consistantly all game, wrecking all kinds of face while the prince often struggles to kill 5-wound weaklings... 😒

But that fly move... It's so dang good. 

As to your other units, Slaanesh seems to have two or three really good tricks just with the goodies in the ghb; force everything thing to hit you on 6s, smack things with 30 Daemonettes that generate new attacks on 4s and reroll 1s, smack things with a keeper, then smack them again with the same keeper in the same turn. If you build heavy around one of those concepts and dip a toe in another, you'll make something pretty decent and have some amazing games. ✌

Edited by Waiyuren
Spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sume said:

Hello all.  

I finally am getting the chance to try out some Age of Sigmar.  I am a tad confused on the list building which is something I am not to used to.  I been playing 40k more.  I am going to use my Slaanesh demons next Sunday.  Problem is I cant decide on a list.  I am going to port over my demons as thats all I will have.

I am just not liking the lists I am making and the princes just seem kinda worthless like they do in 40k.  I was going to go with the seekers but after looking things over Pretenders seems a better way to go with the extra command trait and reroll of 1s.   I am just unsure of what to try as I am still new.  Any advice be nice, as I am just learning this system.  

I thought I share some of my army from a event I took them to this summer.  

20180824_192008.jpg

20180824_192028.jpg

20180824_192033.jpg

20180824_192104.jpg

20180824_192119.jpg

Army and display board looks fantastic. In would say just play a few games and see what you like using then focus on that area with small changes to other stuff in till your happy. I've been using seekers all the time as the ability to guarantee charges is so strong. Pretenders is good but you are relying on the keeper doing a lot of the work for you and some armies just have a hard counter to that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Belmail said:

Hey guys quick question, if my DP has double talons how does that affect his combat in AoS? Theres no description of your talons in AoS unlike 40k.

I don't think you get anything for double talons - afaik, it's sword or axe.

Thank you for the feed back.  I am still unsure how to go.  Maybe I should just go monster mash it up and finish painting the 3rd demon prince.  Expect I been thinking of keeping and painting him up as Tzeentch as I have a small tzeentch force, of gaunt summoner, 24 old metal pink horrors and the changeling.

I thought maybe I can go and use the seeker chariots as battleline, and keep 2 or so demonette units around 20 - 30.  Then get the rest of it as all fast moving things, and use seekers.  Still unsure as I am more used to using them in 40k and being shot off the table to fast.

I did have some questions.  Are you able to use the Greater demons command ability to target itself.  So it can fight a 2nd time.  The wording is a little unclear to me.  Then the other one is the Masque.  Its the first part.  Does the unit she is fighting have to match the same movement 10?  That I am unsure, so lets say she is fighting something with movement 5.  I get that she will be able to reroll wounds, but does that mean she can reroll the hit rolls to as she matches the movement 5, but is also greater.  If I am reading it right.  She would get to reroll only the wound rolls in this example.  

The army and display board took me a while to do.  I am thrilled with how it turned out.  It was my first attempt at making some sort of terrain also.  

Edited by Sume

2 hours ago, Sume said:

...Are you able to use the Greater demons command ability to target itself?...

Yip.

2 hours ago, Sume said:

...Then the other one is the Masque...

If their move value is 11+ she gets no bonus, but if it's 10 exactly she rerolls all failed hits. And of course if it's less than 10, she rerolls all failed hits and wounds.

• Like 2

Just now, Waiyuren said:

I like her in both; i had the opportunity to try 8th ed 40k the other day, and used her and another herald to babysit a 30 of Daemonettes... All the buffs! They all died though; rolling 1s to advance two turns in a row vs Tau really hurts. 😅

Oh I know.  Then I seen those same 30 demonettes go scream across the table at the max run, and max charge range.  It was amazing.  It is just my area the local meta enjoys a lot of open space.  That all may change though.  The shop has closed down, and I am actually in the many many hours of paperwork, and bank dealings to open one myself.  Things I wanted to see was AoS, 40k, and other table top games being played.  

• Like 3

Nope. 😅

The assumption that there will be one is based on there having been a chaos release on or around Christmas, 3 years running. But Darkoath are a strong possibility too, with rats another less likely one.

With Wrath and Rapture coming out there's a fair chance that Slaanesh is getting a staggered, Nurgle-style release with the boxed game this year or early next year, and the full battletome next Christmas. Fingers crossed that is not the case, but it's a possibility.

Well far as slaanesh releas goes I would guess between April and June. Reason is blight wars and maggotking were 4 months apart. That was also at time they ran into some production problems because the new manufacturing equipment used to much power. They would of crashed the grid so had to wait for some grid upgrades before they could use them. So it is possible they could speed up the manufacuring side now assuming the power supply prblem has been fixed. Then there is how fast they can crank out the new designs and rules so they can be made.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried running the Chaos Lord of Slaanesh (ex-Sigvald) with the Blade of Judgement? If you give him Supremely Vain, and especially if you target a hero, he seems to have a very high damage potential for a cheap hero. 

Just to check, if he uses his command ability on himself (every 6+ is an extra attack), does that mean that when he rolls a 6+ with the Blade of Judgement, he'll do d6 mortal wounds and an extra attack (which may be another d6 mortal wounds if he rolls another 6+)? 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Has anyone tried running the Chaos Lord of Slaanesh (ex-Sigvald) with the Blade of Judgement? If you give him Supremely Vain, and especially if you target a hero, he seems to have a very high damage potential for a cheap hero. 

Just to check, if he uses his command ability on himself (every 6+ is an extra attack), does that mean that when he rolls a 6+ with the Blade of Judgement, he'll do d6 mortal wounds and an extra attack (which may be another d6 mortal wounds if he rolls another 6+)? 

Yes and the chaos lord on mount allows him to activate a second time. Also if you take pretenders host for a second command trait you can take devotee of torment for a 6in pile in and activation for a potential double activation without retailiation if the target already activated. So a 100 point hero could drop just about any hero in the game. 

Edited by Poryague
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Yes! And with all the +hit stacking he can do, every 4+ is d6 (assuming 10+ models) and generates the extra attack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys and girls,

I've been eyeing off Slaanesh mortals as a potential new army: I'm not against Slaanesh daemons, but the concept of a Slaanesh mortal champion thinking he was great enough to be a god appeals alot more. There's lots of narrative and character to represent in an army themed around that.

Anyways, beyond the depravity summoning mechanics I'm under the impression that the majority of Slaanesh's other allegiance abilities either cause re-rolls or reduce enemy bravery (the mounted Lord of Slaanesh being the exception with his attack twice allegiance ability.) What I take from this is that where Khorne , Tzeentch and Beasts of Chaos can tolerate hordes of single wound, single attack models because of their allegiance abilities, the slaanesh allegiance abilities really don't benefit such to the same extent. Instead they benefit multiple aggressive heroes due to the depravity mechanic as well as models with multiple attacks  to make the most of those re-rolls and the speed to carry it out. 

I'm not really in any rush to start this army now as I'm aware that eventually Slaanesh will receive a battletome which can really change the game.  I'm also not necessarily a fan of the pragmatic, Slaves to Darkness aesthetic for followers of Slaanesh which means if I was to invest in this army now, it would consist of as many conversions possible. So I figured I'd ask for your opinions and experiences on Slaanesh mortals as it stands now.

Is what I'm reading accurate or am I pretty off target with my assumptions? There is a difference after all in reading something on paper and experiencing it in person.

Your experiences are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Malios

42 minutes ago, Malios said:

Hey guys and girls,

I've been eyeing off Slaanesh mortals as a potential new army: I'm not against Slaanesh daemons, but the concept of a Slaanesh mortal champion thinking he was great enough to be a god appeals alot more. There's lots of narrative and character to represent in an army themed around that.

Anyways, beyond the depravity summoning mechanics I'm under the impression that the majority of Slaanesh's other allegiance abilities either cause re-rolls or reduce enemy bravery (the mounted Lord of Slaanesh being the exception with his attack twice allegiance ability.) What I take from this is that where Khorne , Tzeentch and Beasts of Chaos can tolerate hordes of single wound, single attack models because of their allegiance abilities, the slaanesh allegiance abilities really don't benefit such to the same extent. Instead they benefit multiple aggressive heroes due to the depravity mechanic as well as models with multiple attacks  to make the most of those re-rolls and the speed to carry it out. 

I'm not really in any rush to start this army now as I'm aware that eventually Slaanesh will receive a battletome which can really change the game.  I'm also not necessarily a fan of the pragmatic, Slaves to Darkness aesthetic for followers of Slaanesh which means if I was to invest in this army now, it would consist of as many conversions possible. So I figured I'd ask for your opinions and experiences on Slaanesh mortals as it stands now.

Is what I'm reading accurate or am I pretty off target with my assumptions? There is a difference after all in reading something on paper and experiencing it in person.

If you want true slaanesh mortals gonna have to wait for the battle tome. Still the lord of slaanesh on foot and mount then the hellstriders are good mortal units and would be decent picks to start part of a mortal army. Starting a daemon based force not a bad idea since we know we well be summoning them even when we get a battletome. 

The gap your noticing between slaanesh and the other forces because of the battletome. The gap will close and we will have our day. For now the lord of slaanesh on  mount gives mortals the double attack and pile in. The lord on foot gives mortals the ability to generate an additional attack on 6+. Keeper of secretes give daemons the double pile in and attack. Exalted daemon of slaanesh gives daemons unit an immediate activation again after the first combat activation.

As you can see the command abilities can turn units into blenders. The mortals just lack good slaanesh mortal targets for those commands. You can really feel the hole in support and unit options right now. A lack of cohesion that will be fixed when the battletome comes. The starting pieces are there for a good army once we get the rest it will change the meta. Well I think there is a good chance slaanesh will rock the meta when slaanesh in unbound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malios said:

Hey guys and girls,

i'm a little less critical then @Poryague. I say go for it now. 

The reason, it's a perfect slow burn project right now. I, like you, love the idea of a mortal army that only summons daemons through their actions. I right now have a 1K army of mortals and building it up to 1,5K with some deamons on the side. The bad new is, and there I fully agree with @Poryague, we have no battletome and as a result no idea where it's going. So a lot of investments might be wasted. On the other hand, with Beast of Chaos the temporary allegiance abilities remained the core of the book. So i'm not really worried. 

As for rules and army selection. You will need some marked Slaves to darkness units and a lot of heroes to benefit from the Depravity points. The last is amazing for a conversion project! you can go all out on the heroes and it will fill a lot of points in your list. Also Hellstriders have the mortal keyword, just for reference.

My personal experience is really positive as a slow grow project. I'm playing all mortals currently with some beast of chaos allies but it's a great hobby project and is a fun army to play. Just don't expect to win everything if you limit yourself to just mortals. The daemonic side doubles down on the speed advantages and your kind of missing that. For a casual, club setting you'll do fine after some practice.

Edited by Kramer

Thanks for the alternative perspect Kramer.

A part of me, having seen elfshead's work, was inspired to re-look into the Cult of Slaanesh as the elven aesthetic fits slaanesh if some effort (and a healthy supply of Hellstrider / daemonette bits) is put in.

I'll think on it some more.

• Like 1