Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Spiderfang Grots Discussion

Recommended Posts

Hi team, update on this list, decided to make this list from Ulgu the Realm of Shadows. Gave the traits and weapon to the general so he's now hiting on 3's and 3's. Can I also give my Shaman and Artifact?

 

Big Boss on Spider (General - might is right, blade of folded shadow) 

Arachnarok Spider w/Shaman 

Fungoid Cave Shaman (Ally)

 

10 Spider Riders

10  Spider Riders 

 

Chronomatic Cogs 

Aethervoid Pendulum 

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws

1000pts

 

thinking that if I cast the cogs in first round can add 2 to move and charge and get into combat turn 1, also maybe use Fungoid command ability to add charge and run in  turn 1 but not sure it's worth sacrificing get big Boss mortal wounds on a 5 or 6 for that first round of combat, suppose just go with what I need. Once there the plan will be to reek as much havoc as I can with both 5 and 6 to mortal wound doing double damage as a combo of Boss and Shaman kick in whilst casting Pendulum and Jaws turn to turn

should have a fair amount of mortal wound output for 1000pts

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 11:52 AM, Skabnoze said:

but there has never been a multi-armed goblin model aside from the Grot models in the Silver Tower set.

I have over 100 I'm using as Gitmob Grots.

I'm also using the spare Shaman's from the Arachnarok kit as Gitmob Shamans. Similarly I'm using the Arachnarok Flingers as Rock Lobbas.

Basically my army is "If it's mounted on a spider, its spiderfang, if its on foot, its gitmob" - people seem to understand fairly well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

thinking that if I cast the cogs in first round can add 2 to move and charge and get into combat turn 1, also maybe use Fungoid command ability to add charge and run in  turn 1 but not sure it's worth sacrificing get big Boss mortal wounds on a 5 or 6 for that first round of combat, suppose just go with what I need. Once there the plan will be to reek as much havoc as I can with both 5 and 6 to mortal wound doing double damage as a combo of Boss and Shaman kick in whilst casting Pendulum and Jaws turn to turn

Would it be an idea to drop an endless spell or two to get the command point so you can use both command abilities in turn 1?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, froo said:

I have over 100 I'm using as Gitmob Grots.

I'm also using the spare Shaman's from the Arachnarok kit as Gitmob Shamans. Similarly I'm using the Arachnarok Flingers as Rock Lobbas.

Basically my army is "If it's mounted on a spider, its spiderfang, if its on foot, its gitmob" - people seem to understand fairly well

I do the same, except that i use Forest Goblins as gitmob and not the silver tower grots.  I bought a lot of arachnarok grots from bits sellers and I have a bunch of old-school metal Forest Goblins on foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I do the same, except that i use Forest Goblins as gitmob and not the silver tower grots.  I bought a lot of arachnarok grots from bits sellers and I have a bunch of old-school metal Forest Goblins on foot.

I would have loved to do this, but alas being in Australia the cost of shipping from bits sellers is prohibitively expensive (its like $25 shipping on a $10 purchase each time).

There has been a dude locally selling the Silver Tower bits, so I just grabbed as many as he had. I've been giving serious thought to using them as Moonclan and converting a couple to be netters with spiderweb nets as my tarpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisher KIng said:

Would it be an idea to drop an endless spell or two to get the command point so you can use both command abilities in turn 1?

Ah yes, cracking spot, I could drop the cogs which would get me the extra command point

Ah, a flaw in the plan, the Fungoid still needs to be the general to use his command ability - still unless I have an old warscroll? That's a bummer

Also guys am I able to give my Arachnarok Shaman an Artifact?

 

EDIT: Just downloaded it again and still says if he's the general so that's a no go for this list, have to stick themcogs back in and just use the command ability for 5+ mortal wounds all game 

On the plus side though I forgot about the whole once per battle cast and extra spell, so for one turn with the cogs as well I could cast 3 spells with him, wish I had more spells to choose from :)

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all

just looking at starting a spiderfang army as I like the look of them, just wondering how viable they currently are in 2.0 and if it is worth sinking the money into them. 

Would having a pure spiderfang Grot army work aswell? Never played grots and really like the look just looking for some reassurance they aren’t that bad as I have read on forums 

thanks 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ephor said:

Hello all

just looking at starting a spiderfang army as I like the look of them, just wondering how viable they currently are in 2.0 and if it is worth sinking the money into them. 

Would having a pure spiderfang Grot army work aswell? Never played grots and really like the look just looking for some reassurance they aren’t that bad as I have read on forums 

thanks 

 

 

The shamans are powerful. The hero and the shamans buff the spider riders well.

They are a bit of a one trick spider if you play only spider fang (buff units allly buffed unit to opponents face) but it’s a good trick. One big bonus is if you have access to start playing spiderfang kits they are cheap to start!

You can ally in rock lobbers you can make from spare flingers. And other grots and destructions baddies if you like as well.

Im largely focusing on Moonclan to start but I’ll be working on spiders next 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 3:23 AM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Big Boss on Spider (General - might is right, blade of folded shadow) 

Arachnarok Spider w/Shaman 

Fungoid Cave Shaman (Ally)

 

10 Spider Riders

10  Spider Riders 

 

Chronomatic Cogs 

Aethervoid Pendulum 

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws

1000pts

 

So this went really well against Nighthaunt.  It's very easy to feel how NH are built for 2.0 and how much Spiderfang aren't, it feels like a very dated army because it is.  However there were benefits to that as I'm still fairly new to actually playing games so it was easier to keep track of the limited buffs and abilities this list has, it was overwhelming to see all the different things NH had to keep track of.

Played Destruction vs Death a couple of times now and each time it is a case can we cause enough damage to counter the healing they have (we haven't started playing objectives and things just yet) and so was this game too

As you'd expect with Spiderfang there was huge Mortal wounds output when the buffs and spells went off (highlight was definitely a unit of Spider Riders taking out hexwraiths in one turn) but when they didn't it was average, very average which highlights the importance of positioning of key components like the big boss. I'm thinking I may drop Fungoid Shaman and a spell to get another big boss 

Unfortunately a unit of 6 spirit host got stuck straight into the Arachnarok taking it down to half the wounds before it even attacked as I was the first to move and got charged in his phase of turn one, so I'm still looking forward to seeing that at full strength 

Had some lovely moments in the game, whilst the Fungoid Cave Shaman was hanging out at the back playing with the cogs one of the new dreadblade harrows used their cool new movement trait to just appear behind him... caught red handed, unfortunately even with the rerolling saves he couldn't be saved

After unfortunately missing moving the whole left flank of many army after getting distracted by a break in the game I didn't really get to see the full effect of the big boss in combat either so there's lots I can learn about Spiderfang with more games

It was fairly close until he caught up with some of the new Alliance abilities they have, then I felt the full force of NH 2.0, it was still an absolute blast playing these guys and can't wait for the next game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, Milandro said:

The shamans are powerful. The hero and the shamans buff the spider riders well.

They are a bit of a one trick spider if you play only spider fang (buff units allly buffed unit to opponents face) but it’s a good trick. One big bonus is if you have access to start playing spiderfang kits they are cheap to start!

You can ally in rock lobbers you can make from spare flingers. And other grots and destructions baddies if you like as well.

Im largely focusing on Moonclan to start but I’ll be working on spiders next 

 

Ah thanks for the reply, with spiderfang having no battalion anymore, does this mean we can’t get a command point at the start? As I have read you get a point per battalion and then one per hero phase after ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ephor said:

Ah thanks for the reply, with spiderfang having no battalion anymore, does this mean we can’t get a command point at the start? As I have read you get a point per battalion and then one per hero phase after ! 

Any army can get a extra command point for every 50 points you leave unspent.

battalions include a command point in their cost. They can be  expensive and sometimes include units you might otherwise not have included, but some are great. I hope that grots/greenskins etc get some battalions again. 

Have a look at Stoneklaw’s Gustompas alligance from firestorm. If you are only using spiderfang + some other grots or orruks, it gives a random tactic to use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there currently any way to give Arachnarok better chance to apply poison? (other that grot Big boss command ability?). Any to hit bonusses left for destro? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Vespan said:

Is there currently any way to give Arachnarok better chance to apply poison? (other that grot Big boss command ability?). Any to hit bonusses left for destro?

Not for the Spider itself,  a combination of the big boss ability and the gift of the Spider God (if it has a Shaman on its back) is the best we've got at the moment. Hits on 5s and 6s and does double mortal wounds of a d3 roll for those that hit. 

The weapons and artifacts I've seen (mainly from Malign sorcery) buff the general itself rather than the mount so even if you had a Shaman and put it as your general the venomous fangs still don't get a buff

I'm very encouraged by the fact that Moonclan and Spiderfang don't have any Alliance abilities noted in the new 2.0 books as I hope it means we will be included in the new Moonclan book in some way when it comes out. Also the silver tower combo of Spider like Moonclan grots is very encouraging that we will have as many new combos and abilities as the NH and Stormcast do now

I'm thinking I may run this list for the next battle...

Arachnarok Shaman 

Big Boss

Big Boss

10 Spider Riders 

10 Spider Riders

Malevolent Maelstrom

900/1000 - 2 command points 

After playing the last game I found the big boss buff was great, certainly more useful than the extra Shaman. So I wrote this to compliment the bits I think I learnt for that game (we'll find out in the next game). Idea being to have a unit of 10 Spider Riders running with a Big Boss on either flank throughout the game as rolling good to OK dice for the venomous fangs dice here can get big numbers. Also if I'm running he Arachnarok Shaman close enough to get a buff from one of the big bosses then unless it's a crucial combat the gift of the Spider will be cast on itself to benefit from the buffs I mentioned above.

I'm thinking if I start the game with 2 command points then on turn 1 I'll have 3. So my plan would be actually not to get into combat in turn one so in turn 2 I'll have 4 command points, I can then give these command points out in turn 2 for both big bosses to give their buffs, turn 3 I'll have 3 command points to give out another 2 for that round with 1 remaining so by turn 4 I'll have 2 command points so again I get to give out both big Boss buffs. So I figure if I avoid combat/needing to use that buff in turn one I can actually give out these buffs for 3 straight rounds. So if I can keep 2 units of 10 that means in turn 2 there are a total of 40 attacks hitting mortal wounds on 5s and 6s and if the Spider Shaman is in range add another 4 attacks on 5s and 6s potentially doing up to 6 mortal wounds each if Gift of the Spider-God goes off.

I know there's a lot of ifs and buts in this but that will always be the case with this game, I think it's a pretty solid plan to have for now,  until the new rules come along... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vespan said:

Is there currently any way to give Arachnarok better chance to apply poison? (other that grot Big boss command ability?). Any to hit bonusses left for destro

Goredrakk gives a +2 to hit bonus for one turn but at a hefty points price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

Goredrakk gives a +2 to hit bonus for one turn but at a hefty points price 

He gives +2 attacks, not +2 to hit.

@Vespan do any of the realm spells give them buffs to hit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't that just effect their generic hit roll and not the venomous mortal wound hit? I don't there is anything that would specifically say to buff that mortal wound in a 6 rule apart from big Boss and Spider God spell... I'd love to be wrong... please prove me wrong

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh so that +1 to hit means it will hit on 5s and 6s?

 

Also on a seperate note does big and brutish still give +1 to wound characteristics in the new 2.0?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and a 4 up with command ability.

Still doesn't help that much.  Had 5 great games at blackout, but if you are gonna run more than 2 Arachnaroks, good luck, you will need it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my days so that list I wrote being played in the Realm of death with 2 big bosses running about would have maximum of 40 attacks from the Spider Riders hitting mortal wounds on a 4+, 8 attacks from 2 big bosses mortal wounding on a 4+ and another 4 from Arachnarok potentially doing double damage on their 4+ 

I don't do the maths thing of working out averages but for a pretty dated army that's alot of output. I'm trying to work on the saves as they are pretty bad, as there's not so much you can do army wide I was concentrating on the Arachnarok as a general and thinking of using big and brutish to get extra wound and then Ethereal Amulet from the Malign sorcery book which ignores all modifiers for save rolls so keeps a respectable 4+ save throughout the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won a trophy!

....for last place

But got second place in best painted, which I am super chuffed about.

 

Honestly, pure spiderfang is increadibly hard work, my list is not even close to optimal, which makes it even harder.  Played nurgle with 60 PB twice, which is just an uphill struggle.  Think If i wrote a competative Spiderfang its a 2/3 wins army, which is good and my level of play, but it wont run with the big boys without some luck.

But it is one of the most fun armies I have ever played so would 100% recommend them to anyone thinking about it.

Priority in the last game I might have won that though.

Spiderfang seem more a drop in contingent in mixed destruction to be competative. 20, plus boss, plus arachnarok is a super killy combo.  Add in chaff, artillery and another hitty unit and you have a solid list imo.

 

Edited by Paul Buckler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 1k I'm running

Big Boss

Arachnarok with Shaman

2 x 10 Spiders

1 x 40 Gitmob with Bows

Soulsnare Shackles

 

The gitmob are MVP for this list. I've had them tarpit so many things while I go and clean up stuff with the rest of the army.

 

Soulsnare shackles are quite in theme for the list as they act like webs (mine are covered in GreenStuffWorld's Spider Serum to make them into large web tokens). Slowing down people is useful for quickly snagging objectives and the fact that they work every movement phase can catch people unawares if you get unintended mortal wounds. Worth the 20 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...