AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Honestly, i think what broke right now is the various stacking. I was hopefull that the would remove the stackin all together in GHB18, instead they went completly the opposite and allowed all sort of disgusting combo (a called it Age of Combo before GHB2018). They went in the right direction with save (removing the +1 from arcane shield) but gave save reroll to one of the few army that can still stack save buff. Save is the worst the worst thing, because something unkillable is dangerous.  So obviously anything that affect save (+1, reroll and ignore rend) need to be given with caution, thing that GW don't really do. Same goes for ward save. 

The first time they significantly affected the state of the game was Sylvaneth battletome. You could now access 2+ rr 1 ignore rend on a big monster. Before that, best save was 3+, with some very rare 4+ rr. They you had the Arrowboys madness, then Tzeech, and then it just got worse and worse (in the sense of power escalation and game state change)

So you have either two options to change the state back: Limit buff to once (max +1 no matter the source), or make most of thing trigger on a natural 6. But save  paradigm in general need  to be fixed  that for sure. But for me the broken state doesn't  come only from malign sorcery, it can be trace way before that. 

I also think that realm spell are much worse than artefact right now.  They give tremederous advantage to some army and nothing to other, and worse, they are random!  At least artefacts are for everybory and you can choose the one that suit you.

• Like 1

I just hate the malign sorcery book. It's like it was designed a year beforehand and not updated to more modern design concepts, 6+ 🙄

On a slightly different note, now that a few days have passed, and people who want to make suggestions have, the points changes I suggested.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (400)
Orruk Megaboss (120)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (100)
Orruk Warchanter (100) (till next hero phase)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (400)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 153

This would be a legal list. Other note is I suggested 600 for 20brutes and 360 for 9ggs.

Any thoughts? How beyond the pale am i.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

I just hate the malign sorcery book. It's like it was designed a year beforehand and not updated to more modern design concepts, 6+ 🙄

On a slightly different note, now that a few days have passed, and people who want to make suggestions have, the points changes I suggested.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (120)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (400)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (80)

This would be a legal list. Other note is I suggested 600 for 20brutes and 360 for 9ggs.

Honestly I think those point values are very credible, I was thinking much the same. If anything I feel that 170 is still a lot for the 5 brutes units. It feels like the 3 types of iron jaws should be gg at 140, ardboys at 150, brutes at 160. 

Yeah I think you are on the right track but I would go further.

I don't think 380 is unreasonable for a Maw Krusha, not relative to the other big things out there.  Yes he has a good Command Ability, but for a combat army we are chronically underpowered in the modern age without it.

I think the Brutes could come down to 160 and the Ironfist to 100.

I really think we are at least 300 points off the pace currently.  Hopefully part of that would come from the front runners having their points nudged updwards too.  But I really don't feel like I'm a single unit of Brutes (180 points) away from being able to mix it on an even footing with armies that have modern tech.

That being the case I think a 200 point reduction in a typical force is reasonable.

Better rules is a far superior solution (we chronically need a new book).  But if we're doing it with points alone, they need to be pretty steep decreases in my opinion.  

It might sound like a lot, but other armies that are already in better shape than us regularly put units worth more than that back on the table for nothing.

Edited by PlasticCraic

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (120)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (400)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (80)

How many points would big G cost? This opens the door to him being in a lot of mega battalion lists, throwing his command ability around. Followed up by a mbmk waaagh. It would not be a fun experience for most armies against IJ. 

For whatever reason, I'm not sure the powers that be are ready for a MBMK as an ally in other armies. So maybe we can make him 401, 😆

suggestion for GW for point is do a friggin model that take into account all warscroll stats to calculate baseline point value.

Otherwise i'm more for:

MK at 400

Gordrack at 500-520 and change is command

Brutes stay at 180 but get bufffed (at least 7 bravery and another power like embeded ironclad, run and charge or whatever).

I'm fine with Megoboss, Weirnob (we will get a new book and spell lore someday) and Warchanter current point, but a like the suggestion of 100 points and +1 for a whole turn. 

Bataillion should be cheaper:

Gorefist: 180

Ironfist/Weirdfist/ardfist: 160

Brute fist: 80-100 

Bloodtooth/Ironsuz: 80-100

Note that stacking waaagh or not will also have a huge impact on IJ

59 minutes ago, pocket44 said:

Would anyone else here like to see one of the Ironjawz units added as Mixed Destruction Battleline? I feel it is hugely limiting that we can't take any of them as battleline even if Gorrdrakk is the general of our mixed destruction alliance!

I feel like the 'Ardboyz would make for a very solid general battleline unit which would be more on the expensive side of things, which would add to the diversity of possible builds. As the "weakest" Ironjawz unit (per model) they fit the criteria that often applies to other factions when it comes to make them general allegiance battleline. 

At the very least, I don't think it would have a negative impact on the game if it happened ;)

4 hours ago, pocket44 said:

Would anyone else here like to see one of the Ironjawz units added as Mixed Destruction Battleline? I feel it is hugely limiting that we can't take any of them as battleline even if Gorrdrakk is the general of our mixed destruction alliance!

yes i think Ardboys should be generic battleline. would open some mixed built

Oh and they could make gruntas better just by changing the working on their charge ability: if your charge roll is 8 or more, hoove and fang do d3 damage (somebody already suggested that earlier)

Edited by broche
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, broche said:

Oh and they could make gruntas better just by changing the working on their charge ability: if your charge roll is 8 or more, hoove and fang do d3 damage (somebody already suggested that earlier)

Dracolines have "Reroll charges and get d3 damage on any turn you charge"

At this point GG's should be "If you make an unmodified roll of 8+ on a charge roll inflict d3 mortal wounds on any unit within 1" after you complete the charge." Way more in line with the wording and modern warscroll philosophy.

• Like 2

Block 1
5/30 Liberators - 100/520
5/30 Blood Warriors - 100/520

Block 2
5/30 Chaos Warriors - 90/480
10/30 Forsaken - 200/600
10/30 Ardboys - 160/450

Block 3
5/20 Sequitors - 120/400
5/20 Chaos Chosen - 140/560

Extras
5/20 Putrid Blightkings - 160/580
10/30 Savage Orruks - 120/300
10/30 Tzaangors - 180/480

This is all the approximately equivalent Liberator variants, I've separated them into approximate blocks of the different variations based on looking at the warscrolls and approached from a list building perspective. I actually found it really interesting.

• There are 4 different blocks.
  • Block 1 is best seen as the baseline block, with the defensive and offensive variants. Blood warriors Goreglaives should be 1 per 5 rather than per 10
  • Block 2 is the most random and ill defined. They lack the special weapons/rules of B1 and seem to just be overcosted
  • Block 3 is your elite block. It's actually a great counterpoint to Block 1, really shows how ridiculous sequitors are
  • Blightkings are a high wound variaint of Block 3
  • Tzaangors are a stronger variant of Block 2
  • Savage Orruks are a weaker version of Block 2

When looking at this Sequitors are obviously undercosted while I'd say the massive regiment discounts for the rest of the stuff is probably to small. I don't know enough about the last 3 to really comment on them, they are significantly different enough that it's hard to draw direct comparisons. If forced to I'd probably end up around this.

Block 1
5/30 Liberators - 100/500
5/30 Blood Warriors - 100/500

Block 2
10/30 Chaos Warriors - 160/400
10/30 Forsaken -160/400
10/30 Ardboys - 160/400

Block 3
5/20 Sequitors - 140/480
5/20 Chaos Chosen - 140/480

Extras
5/20 Putrid Blightkings - 160/560
10/30 Savage Orruks - 120/300
10/30 Tzaangors - 180/460

Thoughts?

I intend to try out 3-4 grot wolf chariots today.  40 points.  They have run and shoot/charge.  I plan on having them get as far up the field as I can, possibly pinning something of my opponents in or at least clogging up the board on his side to make it difficult to move up.  I don't really expect much out of them otherwise. 

Has anyone used them before with Ironjawz?

I tried fielding my Ironjawz again yesterday and again promptly got my ass handed to me by Stormcast. The player was less experienced than me and made several tactical mistakes, but still won because he got a double turn right at turn 2 and just erased half of my army from the board. My list is below at the end of the post, but here are my notes from the battle:

• Ironjawz don't have the MW output to put a decent dent at Stormcast with their save buffs, rerolls and to-hit debuffs. Meanwhile, Stormcast armies ****** MWs out of their arses.
  • IJ buffs only last until the end of the combat phase, whereas pretty much all Stormcast buffs/debuffs last until their next hero phase.
  • Waaagh magic is too unreliable, while prayers are both powerful and un-unbindable.
  • Pretty much all Ironjawz units are overpriced. It's as if they've all priced assuming 1 Waaagh buff on them all the time.
  • Reaching the enemy backlines is almost impossible (maybe not for Gore-Gruntas, but everyone else), whilst Stormcast can just drop a couple of units to your backlines on their first turn (or second, or third if they feel it's a bigger advantage).

Seriously, it just feels like an incredibly uphill battle, and the opponent wasn't even using any Sacrosanct units.

My list:

Megaboss on foot (ironclad, metalrippa's klaw)

Warchanter

Orruk Warboss with banner and boar (ally)

Moonclan Grot Shaman (ally)

10x Ardboys

10x Ardboys

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

3x Gore-Gruntas

Ironfist Battalion

Chronomantic Cogs

Any tips on beating Stormcast with the Ironjawz? Or just shelve them and play with my own Stormcast instead? :D

• Like 2

@tom_gore  I too have had difficulties against stormcast.   It is tough when they can drop stuff wherever they want.  However, it is not impossible though it does feel uphill as you said.  Here are my thoughts, though I would probably defer to @broche and/or @Malakree for better advice.  Be advised that this game is extremely swingy(I think it is the most "swingy" game I have ever played).  The double turn changes the nature of the game.  If you had been the one to get the double turn, the game would have probably turned out different right there. 

1st: I think metalrippas klaw is ok, but you would probably be better off with the golden toof, boss skewer, Daubing of Mork, or something from the Malign Sorcery book. (Aetherquartz brooch or many others).  It can be tough for the footboss to get into combat, so giving him something that increases his rend or helps his attack isn't always the best idea.

2nd:  I don't think the investment into cogs is necessary.  Just taking that out gives you another command point, which would be another Waaagh when needed.  Stacking as much Waagh for an explosive combat turn is the basic strategy.  Having only the one shaman may not be necessary either.  Typically we are behind the curve on magic, so it can be beneficial to skip it all together and add another warchanter.   I like having a caster for the unbind or dispel, but it has been shown that we can get away with ignoring casters.  (Also, I do like the Fungoid Shaman better than the Moonclan shaman.  Fungoid is so hard to kill.  Moonclan has a better spell though)

3rd:  We need as many wounds as we can get on the board.  Cutting out the shaman, the cogs, and even the battalion gives you 320 points which could be 20 ardboys.  That is another 40 wounds.  Obviously, our movement is a problem and ironfist helps that, but it is expensive for what it does(especially at 1000 or even 1500 points.) If you were to take all ironjawz heroes, there would be more chance for the Rampaging Destroyers roll, which could help make up for the no battalion.

4th: How are you equipping your brutes and ardboys?  If we just stayed with your setup, 2 sets of ardboys and 2 sets of brutes, I would have the brutes with gore-hackas (2 inch range).  I would then setup the brute bosses even with the ardboys and the rest behind.  This lessens the amount of damage that can get to the brutes, while allowing them to put out their full damage.

5th:  How are you using your gruntas?  I have had some recent success giving them my first rampaging destroyers roll, moving up the board, and pinning a part of their army back.  (also I tend to use frenzy of violence and/or a spell on them to further help their situation)  This allows the rest of my army to get up the board, take objectives, and/or focus on the rest of their army.  I intend to try some allied grot wolf charriots in the same manner.

6th:  What is his list?  That will help us strategize against it.

7th:  If you do take a battalion, remember that it does give you another artefact and command point.

Here is an example list at 1500 points with more wounds, but no casting.

Spoiler

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: The Golden Toof
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
- 10x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 10x Big Choppas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
- 10x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 10x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 145

Edited by Superninja
  • Like 2

IJ gets hit harder than almost any other army when playing at lower than 2k. ( The way waaagh works, battalion pricing, etc.)

That said, the key to lower point games with IJ is to bring MSU troops and minimum supporting units IMO. 

So, something like the list Superninja posted: a couple of Waaagh sources and maybe a warchanter, fill out the rest with MSU troops for easier Waaagh!s and/or the ability to spread for objectives. If you brought a warchanter, I'd probably take 1 larger unit (20 'ardboyz works nice) just to be the sponge for Frenzy of Violence so you actually net some real value from it. 

There's no sugarcoating it though, if you're playing IJ at this point it's for the uphill battles ;) 

• Like 2

Agains stormcast, a single weirnob with geminid will help greatly. It's also cheap enough to fit in a 1500 game. Ironfist and Cog will serve you nothing against Stormcast (as he will deep strike you). However you'll soon realize than sequitor hit much less when they get a -1 attack (divide by half their output) or your dispel the empower. It also offer protection against double turn.

Otherwise both @Superninja and AndrewG analysis are correct. 

I think actually Ironjawz have a hard spot in the meta, as it's really hard to tweak agains Stormcast, Dok, and Dead at the same time. We do have decent casting (especially with real spell) but it's quite useless against Dead. It's however very good against Stormcast and DoK (who have mid-range magic)

• Like 1

Lost my first game yesterday with the Gorefist list I posted a while back.  I'd figure a Sacrosanct, DoK, Sequitor/Evoc spammer would get me eventually, but it was freaking TZEENTCH who I thought were pretty much done as an army.  These new Enlightened are just so damn good at 140 though.

His list was basically:
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
Lord Of Change (380)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (200)
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
9 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (420)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 125

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario: Comets drop at the beginning of 2nd battle round in each deployment zone. Score points based off of current battle round #.

Deployment: He castles his entire army between two tall pieces of terrain in the corner, puts his acolyte screens/pinks in a semi-circle around  the rest of his units making sure the Enlightened and characters were at least 4" away from the front of the screens.  Smart play, but it's pretty much what everyone has been doing vs. this list the last few months and I've been able to play around it.  I do notice that he's just at that 4" mark with one of the blocks of Enlightened, so if my Mawkrusher destructive bulk/shooting clears up the majority of one of the acolyte screens I should be fine. 

T1 IJ: Gorefist moves up, get one rampaging off that I have to use on the Mawkrusher. Used 5cp on Waaagh, thinking broach would proc once or twice and I could save that CP for a charge reroll, no 5+'s so I'm screwed there.  My two 6 Gore units w/ frenzy of violence are going to have to make 9" charges w/o reroll  because of these two huge pieces of terrain he's used to anchor his flanks.  

Of course everything gets in besides the two units of 6 ggs. Mawkrusher does his work with shooting/destructive bulk to open up enough room for a GG unit to charge though the gap. In the combat phase I kill all the acolytes, the pinks, and the unit of 6 enlightened before he swings. All he has left are the characters and the unit of 9 enlightened. Pretty much thought it was game at this point; I have complete board control,   have taken 0 damage, and have his entire army pretty much pinned. 

T1 Tzeentch: We were playing on realm of life, and there's a spell that allows him to relocate his caster 18". So he's able to use that to pop his LoC into the corner of the board, giving him barely enough room to actually summon w/ his blue horror points. He nukes my Mawcrusher w/ all the spells, suffering 11 mortal wounds(only got 1 cuirass save). The9 enlightened pop the unit of 6GGs on the flank.

-Comets drop. One lands in the corner where his LoC and Blue horrors are, the other lands caddy corner, the only sector I didn't have a warchanter covering the backline. Perfect drops for my  opponent, if either comet landed in a different sector I think I would have won. 

T2 Tzeentch: Priority roll was obvious huge here, and he was able to relocate the gaunt summoner now w/ the same realm spell into the corner with the LoC and Blue Screen.  He kills the Mawkrusher with a few spells, and then wipes out another block of 3ggs with an enlightened charge.  So all I have left at this point are 2x3ggs, 1x6ggs, and 3 warchanters. Which  in most circumstances would be enough to bog him down long enough to win the objective game, but I'm behind because of where they dropped, so I have to take the objective in the corner of his deployment zone for at least 1 round to win.

T2 IJ: The GGs left are the furthest away from his new castle in the corner, and the only viable charge is into the Shaman and the Enlightened. Kill the shaman which I thought would get rid of unfold reality but he also has it on the Gaunt unfortunately, can't kill the enlightened and the 4 surviving enlightened end up forcing a battleshock test on the unit of 6ggs which kills off the unit ( 3 ended up running).

T3 IJ: Still bogged down with enlightened with 2x3ggs.  End up kill off the Enlightened

T3 Tzeentch: Starts nuking the GGs, summons more blues.

I end up calling it here, he had enough blues at this point to pretty much ensure I'd never be able to get the point off him. Tough loss, but definitely a few things I could have done differently. Not saving 1 cp for charge reroll was greedy, probably should have gone second against his army even with spell portal.  Just fed him too many bluepoints too early, and didn't account for the realm of life relocation spell giving him the space to actually summon. 

• Like 2

@Superninja

Thanks for the lengthy post. Here's my opponent's list as far as I can remember it correctly is below.

I did make some mistakes too. One was deploying my Ironfist one troop by one because I wanted to deploy the Shaman as far up front as possible while still being out of range for unbinds. I thought I had fewer units than he had, but had miscalculated it and ended up deploying last, giving him the choice of first turn.

Scenario was Focal Points and he chose to go second (to secure the objectives on his side of the board during my turn and being able to move forward on the first turn).

I successfully summoned the Cogs, then gave my successful Rampaging destroyers roll to the GGs and moved them forward (11 inches, no less!) to flank and bind one of the Liberator groups at the back objective. My plan was to support them with one of the Ardboy groups, but after a bad Ironfist roll and normal move they were barely at 12" range and failed the charge roll of 7+ (+5 to charge!) even with me using one command point to reroll.

I ran the brutes into the middle objective which was in a forest (and here was my second grave mistake, should've used the second Ardboy group to go first) and followed behind with the megaboss and warchanter, leaving them behind at what I thought would be a safe distance.

The GGs got in some nice damage (from a 8+" charge) and killed four of the liberators and lost none in return. Sadly, as the Ardboys didn't make it I couldn't secure the back objective which would have scored me a nice 2 extra points on the 1st turn.

The opponent on his first turn bombed my brutes with spells and then charged them with the Retributors, killing off all but the boss. The gore gruntas lost one model to the fire of the vanguard-raptors, but they filled their role in binding the liberators back, and forcing my opponent to bring his lord-celestant to finish them off (probably not necessary, but he chose to do it anyway).

Then my opponent immediately seized the double turn, blasted the last brute off the board, clearing the way for the retributors and the lord-celestant to charge my megaboss and warchanter. With some good rolling from my opponent (four 6s with the retributors) my Megaboss died before getting a single hit in. At this point the game looked pretty grim.

On my turn, I called Waaagh with the Orruk Warboss, charged the liberators at the back with my ardboys, and the retributors and the lord castellant with my second ardboys and brutes. Unfortunately I couldn't roll worth ****** and all of the targets lived, with two dead retributors and a few dead liberators as a result. I did manage to secure the back objective scoring 3 points for holding two opposite focals, one from another side focal and two more from the middle focal, taking the lead.

In the remaining game the enemy's forces mopped up the remaining of my forces and came tied in the points. My shaman was alone on my 4rd turn and decided to start getting useful. Switching the cogs to time slow, he bombed the lord-castellant and remaining retributor off the field and secured the middle objective for me again. If I had been successful in taking the initiative on the 5th turn I could have had a chance to kill (with some more lucky rolling) his Lord-Relictor and seize another objective, pulling ahead in an unwinnable lead. Alas, my dice came up as one and it was gg.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Lightning Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Armor of Silvered Sigmarite 
Lord-Exorcist (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Divine Light
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Bless Weapons
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Retributors (220)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)

Total: 1460 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 89

I have just painted up a Megaboss on foot (lovely model!) and would like to paint up a second.  However, when duplicating heroes, I like to try to kitbash an alternative build for variety (this was fine for my Wanderers, being Aelves).  Does anyone have some good suggestions using other GW models?  I considered using a Warchanter as a base, but that would probably be confusing on the table with real Warchanters around and it is a little smaller.  The Megaboss model itself doesn't seem to lend itself to being altered much.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  I have ironjaws bits from the other kits to add on if required.  It's the size that's the tricky bit.

Edited by Aelfric

5 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have just painted up a Megaboss on foot (lovely model!) and would like to paint up a second.  However, when duplicating heroes, I like to try to kitbash an alternative build for variety (this was fine for my Wanderers, being Aelves).  Does anyone have some good suggestions using other GW models?  I considered using a Warchanter as a base, but that would probably be confusing on the table with real Warchanters around and it is a little smaller.  The Megaboss model itself doesn't seem to lend itself to being altered much.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  I have ironjaws bits from the other kits to add on if required.  It's the size that's the tricky bit.

One of the easiest ways to swap him is to change his weapon for one of the Mawkrusha ones, it's a little awkward but it works.

Also, depending on how good you are with making bases, I have a base which is setup so my Mawkrusha Megaboss can be attached to for an extra footboss if I want. Since I have him magnatized to the mawkrusha itself I just match the magnets on the MB base so that it swaps real easy.

• Like 3