Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

The Drakesworn Templar buffs the fulminators to hit roll with the skybolt bow combined with the lord-celestant on foot with his command ability, I haven't had any issues getting damage though. I just think dropping the celestant for that extra 100 points to fit the LCoSD, would hurt me with having less heroes.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 Longstrikes is overkill.

I updated my Aetherstrike force and took it to a tournament over the weekend, going 3-0 (all Major Victories).

Changes to the list:

-1 Veritant
-1 Heraldor
+1 Castellant
+1 Relictor
+1 Gryph Hound
Upgraded 3x Hurricanes to 3x Longstrikes

Finals had me against a mixed destruction goblin + beastclaw list with 2 Thundertusks and 1 Stonehorn. I killed his Stonehorn and Thundertusk on turn 1 and it snowballed from there.

Gryph Hounds made it really hard for him to deploy his Fanatics.

Lightning Chariot was the MVP, letting me deploy my Raptors very far back and instantly teleport them into shooting range. Later in the game it let me get to his Thundertusk into line of sight.

aethestrike.png

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier, but I haven't had the chance to read through this entire 62 page thread (but I'm working on it, a lot of great info!).

I am working on starting a Stormcast Eternal army as I get into AoS from a long hiatus away from fantasy.  Personally I love the Lord-Veritant from a model and fluff perspective (witch hunters!!!!), but a lot of folks online think he's not worth the points.  Now I've been investigating my local meta a little, and it seems to be very skewed towards mixed destruction and tzeentch.  I definitely plan on tossing a Lord-Veritant into a sideboard in events that use it, but is he worth using in an all-comers list?  It seems like unless I'm against dwarves or othe stormcasts, there will likely be some kind of nasty magic to unbind or some wizards to nuke.  

Also, is the gryph hound worth taking?  The bonuses it grants seem amazing, but not too easy to pull off.  Also, (sorry for making this longer than I expected) if I deploy a Lord Veritant using Scions of the Storm, can I use "Bound in Service" to setup his gryph hound then, or do I need to roll seperately for the hound?  Seems like you could daisy chain the hound into a shorter charge distance, plus bound in service doesn't use up the hound's movement, allowing for some interference or a hassle for a squishy backfield wizard.

Got some games in over this weekend. Tried out my Lord-Aquillor for the first time. Dude is killy in combat and his Trait is insane, I may end up using him in an Aetherstrike if I can squeeze it. Flying a bunch of Hurricanes into range on T1 is pretty devastating, or yanking certain units out of combat.

Got some games in over this weekend. Tried out my Lord-Aquillor for the first time. Dude is killy in combat and his Trait is insane, I may end up using him in an Aetherstrike if I can squeeze it. Flying a bunch of Hurricanes into range on T1 is pretty devastating, or yanking certain units out of combat.

I've had a blast with him as General and the vanguard units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

if I deploy a Lord Veritant using Scions of the Storm, can I use "Bound in Service" to setup his gryph hound then, or do I need to roll seperately for the hound?  

Ho my! I never thought about that!

Wel. RAW, you just roll for veritant, deploy him (or not) and then choose (or not) to put a gryphound.

6 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Ho my! I never thought about that!

Wel. RAW, you just roll for veritant, deploy him (or not) and then choose (or not) to put a gryphound.

And if that works, I can think of a few uses.  Probably still too cornercase or unreliable to count on, but I will try it out ?

So one of my friends has come up with a very dirty list to try against me. 

My actual 2k is a pretty standard Aetherstrike list with 12 longstrikes. Looking for advice on how to counter his list in 1v1 situations.

He runs:

Sayl the Faithless

Verminlord Deciever

Throt the Unclean

Thanquol and Boneripper

20 Clanrats

10 Clanrats

10 Clanrats

9 Stormfiends - Mixed drills and warpfire projectors

Sayl sends the stormvermin forward 18inch and the verminlord deciever teleports Thanquol straight into range for a lot of mortal wounds.

So far only thing I can think of is turtling up in a corner with gryphhounds or taking first turn and hoping to luckstone starfated arrow sayl. I can also lightning chariot longstrikes into range but even if it goes off I need a miracle to do any real damage to thanquol or the deciever.

Any advice? I've toyed with a stardrake and Hammers of Sigmar list for the 6+ ward save but the list lacks any real damage output.

6 hours ago, Kakoshka said:

So one of my friends has come up with a very dirty list to try against me. 

My actual 2k is a pretty standard Aetherstrike list with 12 longstrikes. Looking for advice on how to counter his list in 1v1 situations.

He runs:

Sayl the Faithless

Verminlord Deciever

Throt the Unclean

Thanquol and Boneripper

20 Clanrats

10 Clanrats

10 Clanrats

9 Stormfiends - Mixed drills and warpfire projectors

Sayl sends the stormvermin forward 18inch and the verminlord deciever teleports Thanquol straight into range for a lot of mortal wounds.

So far only thing I can think of is turtling up in a corner with gryphhounds or taking first turn and hoping to luckstone starfated arrow sayl. I can also lightning chariot longstrikes into range but even if it goes off I need a miracle to do any real damage to thanquol or the deciever.

Any advice? I've toyed with a stardrake and Hammers of Sigmar list for the 6+ ward save but the list lacks any real damage output.

Stormfiends have a 8" shooting range and only move 18" with Sayls spell. That is a fixed threat range of 26". Deploy your Longstrikes at the back of the board and you'll be fine. Alternatively deploy a screen that prevents him from getting within 8" of your Longstrikes.

Engage the Stormfiends in melee with Judicators and Aetherwings. If he kills any of those units you can fire in retaliation. He won't have enough damage to kill ALL of those units and then he will be forced to either retreat (in which case he can't shoot your Longstrikes) or kill the Judicators/Aetherwings he is engaged with

Thanquol is similarly easy to resolve. He must deploy more than 6" away from a unit when he is teleported and he only has an 8" range on his Warpfire Throwers. Just screen your Longstrikes and Thanquol will not have a chance to fire his Warpfire Projectors on you. There isn't much you can do to avoid Scorch but it's only D3 mortal wounds - you'll survive.

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Stormfiends have a 8" shooting range and only move 18" with Sayls spell. That is a fixed threat range of 26". Deploy your Longstrikes at the back of the board and you'll be fine. Alternatively deploy a screen that prevents him from getting within 8" of your Longstrikes.

Engage the Stormfiends in melee with Judicators and Aetherwings. If he kills any of those units you can fire in retaliation. He won't have enough damage to kill ALL of those units and then he will be forced to either retreat (in which case he can't shoot your Longstrikes) or kill the Judicators/Aetherwings he is engaged with

Thanquol is similarly easy to resolve. He must deploy more than 6" away from a unit when he is teleported and he only has an 8" range on his Warpfire Throwers. Just screen your Longstrikes and Thanquol will not have a chance to fire his Warpfire Projectors on you. There isn't much you can do to avoid Scorch but it's only D3 mortal wounds - you'll survive.

Yep totally agree, the issues arises when I need to capture objectives. Will probably get a chance to play against him this weekend. I just feel like the whole game will hinge on him rolling well or not; does Thanquol pump out 2 mortal wounds or 12? I can really only sit in the corner and shoot whatever he throws at me.

new warscroll for vandus !

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/Vandus_Hammerhand_CB_Web - cropped.pdf

in comparison with a lord celestant, vandus don't have the awesome shield and can't have a magic item (because named character), making him much more fragile

HOWEVER, his tempestos hammer is DAMAGE 3, and he has a new command ability which give +1 attack to all stormcast units 6" around him, which is beyond awesome, especially if you play the hammers of sigmar because he make them immun to battleshock too 

what do you think of this pain train ?

new warscroll from vandus !
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/Vandus_Hammerhand_CB_Web - cropped.pdf
in comparison with a lord celestant, vandus don't have the awesome shield and can't have a magic item (because named character), making him much more fragile
HOWEVER, his tempestos hammer is DAMAGE 3, and he has a new command ability which give +1 attack to all stormcast units 6" around him, which is beyond awesome, especially if you play the hammers of sigmar because he make them immun to battleshock too 

Can't see his points cost ?? He looks amazing !!!

3 damage!  Puts it right up there with the celestant prime.  Too bad I glued a shield on mine.  
He's better than the Lcod if you take that chamber otherwise I would take the lcod

I just pulled my shield off, small touch of paint and it's job done [emoji16]

5 hours ago, ledha said:

new warscroll for vandus !

I think I won't run him as a general because he can't take a command trait.

Overall it's going to cost you 920 for the mandatory Thunderhead Brotherhood with 4 Liberator squads as well as the Hammers of Sigmar Warrior Chamber so 1200 in total.

Doesn't seem worth it to me as without a Sigmarite shield, command trait or artefacts he's pretty liable to be sniped out.

Archived