Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

Sacrosanct Chambers seem like a whole alternative to Strike Chambers, as opposed to the support chambers that Extremis and Vanguard were.  Designed for a new phase of warfare in the Mortal Realms. Which is exciting. I wonder if you can mix-and-match or if you're encouraged to stick to one or the other.

Or maybe they're the anti-undead chamber and eventually we'll get the Ruination Chamber for dealing with Destruction. 

I'm definitely buying this starter set (presuming there is one, of course), I want more Stormcast and the Nighthaunt are  fantastic as well.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BlooDeck said:

Sacrosanct Chambers seem like a whole alternative to Strike Chambers, as opposed to the support chambers that Extremis and Vanguard were.  Designed for a new phase of warfare in the Mortal Realms. Which is exciting. I wonder if you can mix-and-match or if you're encouraged to stick to one or the other.

Or maybe they're the anti-undead chamber and eventually we'll get the Ruination Chamber for dealing with Destruction. 

I'm definitely buying this starter set (presuming there is one, of course), I want more Stormcast and the Nighthaunt are  fantastic as well.

Yes, with the keyword DEATH instead of CHAOS. That would be great.

I was wondering about the symbolism of the new miniatures. Anvils instead of Hammers. Maybe a defensive chamber. Or, as a friend just reminded me, a chamber that works close to the Anvil of the Apotheosis, like Kavastus Sevensense in the "Price of Apotheosis" short story. Even their weapons look like anvils being struck by hammers, the crystals being the "explosions". And there are blue crystals everywhere. Maybe something that works like the Astral Compass, but for magic.

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.06.44.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.04.30.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.04.01.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.03.41.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.03.35.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.03.28.png

And also there is this, from the new Nighthaunt warscroll. Next big story will be SOUL WARS, cover being a Sacrosanct Stormcast against a Knight of Shrouds. I believe there will be DEATH keyword all over our warscrolls.

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.20.09.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 14.20.00.png

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Looking at the photos of Sacrosanct models... there seems to be some units that are very similar to Liberators and Judicators. The Liberator-type unit (called Sequitors I think?) even has options for swords, hammers, and some kind of grandhammers.

I'm glad we are getting more units with shields and I love these sculpts, but I wonder how they are going to differentiate them in terms of gameplay.

I have been wondering the same thing.  I'll hold my judgment until we know what everything does, but at first blush it looks like a lot of duplication... When there are other factions and grand alliances *coughdestructioncough* that sorely need attention.  

I'm also not a fan of the artillery or crossbow sculpts.  Some of the others look great, like the hero looking at his pocket watch.  Also liking the new elite looking unit with two handed weapons.

It's possible that Sacrosanct will have its own Allegiance, and then the new dudes make sense as a "replacement" for Liberators and Judicators.

I hope it's more like the Vanguard chamber where you can mix and match all the Stormcast together, but that could create identity problems.

I'm willing to give the GW rules team the benefit of the doubt because they've been killing it lately - just have to wait and see!

37 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It's possible that Sacrosanct will have its own Allegiance, and then the new dudes make sense as a "replacement" for Liberators and Judicators.

I hope it's more like the Vanguard chamber where you can mix and match all the Stormcast together, but that could create identity problems.

I'm willing to give the GW rules team the benefit of the doubt because they've been killing it lately - just have to wait and see!

Yeah I hope it's mix and match as well.  Army diversity is a huge selling point for me.  

40 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I could see them doing something like LoN for stormcast.  All stormcast units usable across the various chambers, but each chamber grants different allegiance abilities and has some compositional requirement.  

30 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I could see them doing something like LoN for stormcast.  All stormcast units usable across the various chambers, but each chamber grants different allegiance abilities and has some compositional requirement.  

I like this idea.

54 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I can get behind this.

I would rather see bonuses for specific Stormhosts, though.

I guess they can do both. Minor bonuses similar to the Idoneth Enclaves for our Stormhosts (Celestial Vindicators, Hallowed Knights, Hammers of Sigmar, etc.), and then major allegiance bonuses determined by Chamber (Warrior, Vanguard, Extremis, Sacrosanct, "Grand Host")

I doubt GW would hamstring themselves by making it an entirely new faction.  It would really stifle revenue from people like me who would buy some models to add to my existing stormcast army, but who are not interested in the time and money expenditure of a new faction (I'm line 70% done with DoK... Not ready for a third faction yet lol).

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

I can get behind this.

I would rather see bonuses for specific Stormhosts, though.

I guess they can do both. Minor bonuses similar to the Idoneth Enclaves for our Stormhosts (Celestial Vindicators, Hallowed Knights, Hammers of Sigmar, etc.), and then major allegiance bonuses determined by Chamber (Warrior, Vanguard, Extremis, Sacrosanct, "Grand Host")

We did get specific Stormhost abilities in the second Stormcast Eternals battletome. Although, it is stuck with specific a warscroll battalions.

2 hours ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

We did get specific Stormhost abilities in the second Stormcast Eternals battletome. Although, it is stuck with specific a warscroll battalions.

I want them to throw that whole book out and start fresh. The baby in that bathwater drowned, we can throw it out now.

1 hour ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I wouldn't mind a boost in stats for the Celestant-Prime. It would seem that the power creep with new releases is real, it would make sense for it to get a boost considering how lore powerful he is supposed to be..

Also the whole '1/5th of my army can't do anything until AT LEAST turn 3' isn't great unit design tbh.

5 hours ago, DanielFM said:

New rumour about AoS 2: Starsoul maces and equivalents (is there any?) will no longer autohit.

Bravo GW! Paladins were clearly overpowered! ? They don't appear to be reading balance issues really well, do they?

Honestly, whilst paladins certainly need anything but a nerf, if they want to go in a different direction re. Weapons that auto hit etc then I'd rather they implement their design philosophy and then update unit balance as required later. 

Seems like a  bit of a minor issue to complain about too when we are likely to receive a new tome far before many other factions. 

Also, much akin to the new magic changes, some factions  (khorne f.e) will lose out in the  current implementations, and they have already acknowledged this and will balance/correct in future. 

Can't always make a cake without breaking a few eggs along the way. Doesn't mean the end product won't be good, and thankfully rebalancing something like paladins is likely something already planned as is. 

6 hours ago, DanielFM said:

New rumour about AoS 2: Starsoul maces and equivalents (is there any?) will no longer autohit.

Bravo GW! Paladins were clearly overpowered! ? They don't appear to be reading balance issues really well, do they?

Well that would suck.  Starsoul maces are not overpowered considering the power creep in the newer/updated armies.    Maybe if the bump the speed of the paladins up to 6" vs the 4" that would make it better if they are nerfing star soul maces.

Honestly looking at the second full SCE battletome, the nerfs , etc.  I think they only hear the vocal minority complaining about stormcast

13 minutes ago, silentdeathz said:

Honestly, whilst paladins certainly need anything but a nerf, if they want to go in a different direction re. Weapons that auto hit etc then I'd rather they implement their design philosophy and then update unit balance as required later. 

Seems like a  bit of a minor issue to complain about too when we are likely to receive a new tome far before many other factions. 

Also, much akin to the new magic changes, some factions  (khorne f.e) will lose out in the  current implementations, and they have already acknowledged this and will balance/correct in future. 

Can't always make a cake without breaking a few eggs along the way. Doesn't mean the end product won't be good, and thankfully rebalancing something like paladins is likely something already planned as is. 

That's all fine and dandy, but run the numbers and tell me what's better: a simple Lightning Hammer or a Starsoul mace hitting on 3+. 

We don't know enough about how the game is being restructured yet. It could turn out that there are other changes (like charging units always going first) that make Paladins stronger than before even with a nerfed Starsoul.

There is no reason to jump to conclusions.

On a side note, we should make a new thread once the Stormcast faction preview goes up. I think this one had a good run, but it seems like there are major updates coming and it would be confusing for people to try to get information on 2018 Stormcast with posts from 2016.

9 minutes ago, PJetski said:

We don't know enough about how the game is being restructured yet. It could turn out that there are other changes (like charging units always going first) that make Paladins stronger than before even with a nerfed Starsoul.

There is no reason to jump to conclusions.

That doesn't change the fact a need-to-hit Starsoul mace is barely better than its non-upgraded counterpart the Lightning Hammer. Except modifications to the very warscrolls, I can't think of one which would change that.

It's early to say Retributors (or Paladins) will be weak. But Starsoul maces will be weak. That's almost a fact.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

On a side note, we should make a new thread once the Stormcast faction preview goes up. I think this one had a good run, but it seems like there are major updates coming and it would be confusing for people to try to get information on 2018 Stormcast with posts from 2016.

Let's make it so when the day comes!

Archived