Hardest kit you've built?

In the last year or so I seem to have developed an allergy to super glue, so the answer is now pretty much "anything which isn't polystyrene", luckily its coincided with GW's shift away from metal and resin, but I collect Lord of the Rings and stuff from other manufacturers, which is now proving quite challenging. Basically I have to put things aside and do them all in a single evening, on a day when I can afford to be ill for the following weekend. 

Stupid Nurgle...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, Skabnoze said:

There were no construction issues with that model aside from the arms having small connection points and being prone to fall off without pinning.  But that happens with many larger metal models and was not unique to Nagash.

My difficulty with that model was simply how doofy it looked compared to the artwork in the book.  That model was a huge miss I think.  Although, if I remember correctly it was a Gary Morley sculpt and my personal opinion was that he was one of, if not the, worst sculptor that GW ever employed.  The guy that sculpted the original Dark Eldar range in 3rd ed 40k comes in as a close second.

I'd not say that Gary Morley was the worst sculptor that GW has employed.  There's a whole tale behind the Nagash model and Gary has said that he can't stand it.  Gary was largely responsible for the change from the old Tolkien style orks to the newer heavier set versions which we now recognise as a GW ork, so to say he was the worst sculptor is unnecessarily harsh.  Although I do agree that the metal Nagash is an abomination...

Celestant on dracoh from the starter box of AoS 1. I used super glue and mis-alligned the 2 halfs of the dracoh. What a mess!!!

Since then, one adviced to use plastic glue. From that, everything was smooth. Except my celestant on dracoh which looks like a rodeo on frankenstein.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd not say that Gary Morley was the worst sculptor that GW has employed.  There's a whole tale behind the Nagash model and Gary has said that he can't stand it.  Gary was largely responsible for the change from the old Tolkien style orks to the newer heavier set versions which we now recognise as a GW ork, so to say he was the worst sculptor is unnecessarily harsh.  Although I do agree that the metal Nagash is an abomination...

To each their own.  I did not make that claim simply because of Nagash.  I guess I should have probably parsed my words better.  He did have a positive impact on some of the model lines, but personally I found the majority of models he made to simply be ugly miniatures.  When they used to be more public about who sculpted each model the majority of models that I saw and found to just be ugly were his sculpts.  So, I'll change my statement to say that he is my least favorite GW sculptor.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the original metal Skull Catapult.

That model can die in a fire.  I hate it.  You need three hands, it frequently came warped, it there were like three/four pieces that weren't stable until every piece was glued, and you had to glue them all simultaneously.

Also the Hell Cannon, because MASSIVE GAPS.

Megaboss.

Not because he was difficult to put together, but because he was HELL to convert! Too much thick plastic (of the kind they make nuclear bomb shelters out of!) Which was incredibly difficult too cut through. Ended up jamming the modeling knife deep into my thigh, fixed that, cut my knee. Pants ruined forever.

I sold him off after finishing. He's someone elses problem now! :D

Generally, I do not have any issues with plastic GW kits. Recenlty, the only model that gave me a bit of trouble (but just a bit) was Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - some of the parts are very strange. When it comes to older models, probably the most problematic were metal Chaos Chosen for Warhammer Fantasy - parts not fitting properly, having to pin a lot of things and impaling my fingers multiple times on many spikes on their armour :D

However, this far from the frustration I felt when I was assembling some of the Warmachine/Hordes models - Mulg the Ancient is probably the worst model I have ever assembled. 

Been racking my brains over this on which has been the worst model I've done.  Screaming Skull catapult is "up there", but it was my brothers.

Out my own stuff, probably the Forge World Bloodthirster is one that jumps to mind.  Lots of filling, fixing and adjusting needed.  Huge amount of packing out & pinning to get the wings to secure onto the body successfully.  The old metal Gyrocoptor is the other one, those rotor blades were horrendous to fix!

On 6/10/2018 at 11:10 AM, Mayple said:

Megaboss.

Not because he was difficult to put together, but because he was HELL to convert! Too much thick plastic (of the kind they make nuclear bomb shelters out of!) Which was incredibly difficult too cut through. Ended up jamming the modeling knife deep into my thigh, fixed that, cut my knee. Pants ruined forever.

I sold him off after finishing. He's someone elses problem now! :D

And it was upon this day that Mayple learned the value of investing in either a jewelers saw or razor saw.

Archived