Future Aelves

Bremy

Also Malerion Aelves doesn't make any sense in Destruction, Malerion was always about iron discipline also he might despise Sigmar as Barbarian but he respects and tolerates Teclis&Tyrion now but he is sure they will just stay in Hysh (which kind of makes sense) .When chips are down he will ally with "good" guys.

Malerion Aelves will be 100% Order.  

Hello! New member in here (and player of High Elves until the 8th edition, when I had to quit the hobby till now). I've been reading the lore and found it really exciting and refreshing, compared to the Old World (although I miss ol' good Caledor) but, apart from the Fyreslayers and the Beastclaw Raiders, none of the factions really appeal to me. I am working on building an Order Draconis army, with Eldritch Council as allies, hoping that Tyrion's Aelves would be coming at the end of the year...but from what I have been reading here, perhaps I'll have to wait for at least a year and a half to see them. No chances of them coming this year or at the beginning of 2019?

And I would love to see Malerion's Aelves in another alliance, but as some other posters have said, I just don't see it happening.

Nice to meet you all!

Hiya, nice to meet you too.

13 minutes ago, Thaliontil said:

...but from what I have been reading here, perhaps I'll have to wait for at least a year and a half to see them. No chances of them coming this year or at the beginning of 2019?

None of us know for certain. We have some rumors what's coming in the upcoming summer but that's about it. GW is rather tight lipped about their release schedule.

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

Hiya, nice to meet you too.

None of us know for certain. We have some rumors what's coming in the upcoming summer but that's about it. GW is rather tight lipped about their release schedule.

Unfortunately the developers were asked at Adepticon if more elves were coming soon and they said no. So yeah he is going to have to wait barring a miracle. 

Please for the love of god update my Phoenix temple :-( got me 70 PG painted and 3 Phoenixs. What about Caradryans Phoenix Temple FTW?

side note: disappointing we can’t take IDK as allies, that wave mage would have made a great ally! Two spell cast, one which gives -1 to hit on d6 units and some good rend on a tough guy would really help! Still in search of better allies than sisters of thorn

There is of course some very valuable precedent for elves in destruction:

david-bowie-labyrinth-dancing.jpg.c61913175c94c07dc9a19316b1a7f36e.jpg

I could honestly have seen destruction elves (or even every GA getting a elven faction, spreading that elven popularity fairly among all GAs), I would imagine something emphasising the mercurial whimsy aspect of elves, creatures that only care for their own amusement, their life a (non-Slaaneshi) party that leaves nothing but craters in its wake, deploying the many other creatures of Destruction as pawns or even happy to work for them so long as it is amusing enough.

But that would taken either being set up from the very launch of AoS or a new developement even further out of the left field than GW has shown comfortable with. So I am with everyone else saying they can not see it happening.

Another thing I would have liked seeing on the launch of AoS would have been GW carrying forth the reunification of elves in End Times, blending the more generic units of all old elven faction into one faction, for example as independent households or something. Some examples:

-instead of glade guard and darkshards there could have just been a unit of elven shooters that can take either crossbows or bows.

-instead of lion rangers, executeners, swordmasters, black guard and wildwood rangers, just have one elite infantry unit with 2 hdt weapons but lots of options. (Phoenix Guard omitted intentionally, as their actual phoenixes are not generic enough)

-Same stats for Sorceresses and Archmages, same for the variants on dragon. Likewhise the same stats for both martial dragon riders.

-Heavy elven cavalery with the choice of riding either horses or lizards.

And so on untill only the most out there kits remain. All while still selling all the kits they currently still have on order. This would have created a neat DIY faction heavily encouraging kitbashing, much as free cities have become. It would also have prevented the heavy faction bloat coming out of how much DE and HE have been splintered. Only Phoenix Temple, DoK and Scourge privateers by virtue of their monsters and maybe the more out there Wanderers would have had to split (I think sticking the Skycutter with the "generics" would have worked).

I think such a faction might have given elf fans something to really sink their teeth into, while still allowing GW to progress with new elves as they now do. Then, later the old kits could have been phased out and replaced with just a few ones blending the various compound aesthetics. But maybe not giving old elf players something to toy with was the point of splitting HE and DE so much.

I guess this all comes from seing the Yinnari as a reintegration of all the different kinds of Elder (and I think, the vehikle for all future eldar) and wishing AoS got a similar reintagration of DE, HE and WE.

It is all water under the bridge now.

For the future, I used to speculate that Malerion and Tyrion would actually be functionally part of the same faction, with both sides using the same units but different faction abilities based on which of the gods they follow. Since we now know both created their own all new super elves, that theory is out of the window. So my best bet is Malerion follows up on the Mistweaver and Tenebrael Shard and Tyrion, if not directly leading Phoenix Temple, propably goes mostly for their aesthetics.

But elves just got two releases back to back, while the waiting line of those who got no real release (i.e. not counting shadespire, heralds or battletome only drops) Being quite long. We have got Ogors, Grots, Skaven, actual mortal humans, Seraphon (though they are the only ones with an entire WHFB range left intact) and all Undead still waiting for a proper release for certain, with Troggoths and Aleguzzler Gargants, imo, being possible candidates as well (GW did Knights and Custodes in 40k, this is less out there).

And then there is Beastmen, which have gotten Tzaangor, but will tell you that those are certainly far to sophisticated to represent the manyfold true children of Chaos (Or maybe that is just me being a massive Brayherd fan).

I am certain we will see Slaanesh, the other two Elven Factions and more Stormcast in the next two to three years, but there are lot of people not to set be earlier in line is all I am saying.

9 hours ago, Thaliontil said:

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome on board!

Thank you very much for the answers and the welcomes. :D Although I guess that I'll have to stick to my Order Draconis, which is not bad...but I really want some new cool models to have the complete feeling of returning to the hobby.

Regarding possibilities, I read in this board some time ago that with the thematic of the armies that have been released, "light" elves would be something like Roman Legions, and I think that could be amazing. On the other hand, and regarding Dragons, GW has always made them a staple for the High Elves, so it would make sense to have both Malerion and Tyrion/Teclis using them in battle. Perhaps a more daemonic appearance for the dark ones and a host of phoenix to go with them for the light, but definitely, dragons should be a staple. And then, possibilities are endless. I also like that idea of Aelves corrupted by Slaanesh, but it would mean 5 armies of the same race, and perhaps they consider it is a bit too much, but it would be really cool.

I don't see the aelves anywhere other than Order, ever. Malerion in his past life defined Order, rigidly, even if it meant destruction and death. It would take a monumental twist. 

However, I'm open for what either of the remaining Aelves to be like. The design team deserves a lot of praise and trust after the DoK and Idoneth releases I think. 

Loving the answers here. 

I would love to see elves somewhere other that order. I don't like the idea of the mall being grouped together. Wonder if the future slaanesh might have some converted elves that were left behind or completely gone to chaos. 

I am also hopeful that we can get the angelic elves soon enough. Knowing my luck they will release them alongside the plastic sisters of battle and it will eat all my pennies.

i really hope the angelic elves aren't just elven stormcast. I would of loved if instead of angelic elves they were more like a Phoenix style and we got to keep the phoenixes. 

This "Angelic Aelf" deal is kind of a turn off to me.  I dont want sea elves, angelic elves, parrot elves, monkey elves or whatever.

I just want to be able to use all the sub factions in a reasonable way and more Elf that ressemble Elf.

I think that “light aelves” could be a lot of other things besides angel aelves.  They already have an angel vibe with the storm cast prosecutors and so I’m not sure they want to do a whole faction like that.  I’m hoping for something as different as the Idoneth deepkin have been.  I wonder though,  since the deepkin are all supposed to be way scarred by their time in slaanesh, how would any other aelves come out that weren’t scarred?  Or maybe they would be aelves that actually were able to be purified by magic like Teclis tried to do with the deepkin before they ran off?

I think a dragon heavy theme could be cool, or even Phoenix.  The idea of using fire to purify their souls is an interesting idea.  Both dragons and phoenixes are super strong themes for the high aelves as well as the purifying fires of Asuryan.  Now that I’m thinking about it, they could do an angel type thing with aelves with Phoenix wings.... but I hope they come up with something more original.  

On 4/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, Rogue Explorator said:

I am certain we will see Slaanesh, the other two Elven Factions and more Stormcast in the next two to three years, but there are lot of people not to set be earlier in line is all I am saying.

Yeah I agree that the light aelves probably won’t come for a while.  I think we have already heard about more death coming this year, and new stormcast picture leaked from a novel cover.  Shaven have been receiving more story attention from deepkin battletome, malign portents story, etc.  Order has had some love recently and it’s probably way past time for destruction to get some love, and of course slaanesh coming out within a year probably.  I’m betting that the light aelves will come out after slaanesh as part of the big aelf/slaanesh story arc

Archived