Now recruiting for a Piratey Tale of X Gamers!

A TALE OF PIRATEY GAMERS

Avast Ye Land Lubbers and hark to my words. Tis' but one frontier untamed, one force that none can yet call their own! To the skies with Ye, to the great rolling storms, fight the thunder gods... ride the hurricanes, and all the bounty Ye could wish for shall be yours!

What is it?

Quite simply this is a new set of rules and scenarios designed to be used alongside the Age of Sigmar skirmish rules to represent the various crews of Sky Pirates clashing across the realms for loot, booty and pride (also some bragging rights). You get all the fun and action that comes with skirmish games alongside splendour of unique skyships gaining traits, equipment and reknown as your campaign progresses. With a low model count this is the perfect chance to personalise every model to make sure your motley crew is unlike any other, and their flagship is one worthy to be noted down in the chronicles of the realms.

Whats the aim?

Over 3-4 months players would plan, convert, paint and base up their own unique sky faring warband, sharing progress and photos aswell as hints and tips with each other and working on their warbands backstory. When every warband is completed players will then meet up at Warhammer World for a day of games against each other to decide once and for all who owns the skies of the realms.

Sky... Pirates?

Thats right, pirates in the sky. The Kharadon are not alone in their mastery of skyfaring technologies though perhaps they are the most experienced. Many a crew of crooks and thieves have taken to the sky either through stolen vessels, magical means, tethered beasts or their own ingenuity and technologies. Crews gather from all races and allegiances from the Steamclad ships of the Freeguild Privateers, choking the clouds with great plumes of industrial smoke to the ethereal ghost ships that ride in on a haunting moonlit night to claim the souls of the dead. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination so why not explore the darker side of the realm.

Sky pirates profit from trade unencumbered by tariffs from petty empires down below, they can run goods without clashing in territorial disputes or having their buisness interupted by war and blockades. Most importantly they can steal, pillage and plunder with no lawmen able to give pursuit as they disappear once more into the clouds.

Sign me up!

Our tale of piratey gamers is quite simple, the aim is to make a crew using the Age of Sigmar skirmish rules totalling 30 reknown with one vitally important difference, there are NO ALLEGIANCE RESTRICTIONS, that right none. You may select scrolls from any grand alliance that match the model you intend to convert, this way you have access to hundreds of unique warscrolls to make a crew that perfectly represents your theme. Every model must adequetly represent the warscroll (no using that grot as an ogre) and the weapons within but beyond this let your creative instincts go wild.

Suggested warscrolls:
Grot with Crossbow (freeguild crossbowman scroll)

Old mercenary (Greatsword)

Assassin (Shadowblade)

Vulture (Aetherwing)

etc

Make sure to select a captain for your band of rogues, feel free to get creative with the modelling and background as the captain defines the personality of your pirate crew and their missions going forward.

In addition to this unique crew you get to build a unique looking ship to carry your crew into battle and bear their plunder away, this is a great chance to make something truly unique looking that fits the theme of your crew. From a floating temple of the slaan to the steam tank inspired ships of the freeguild to the beautifully ornate and deadly Daughters of Khaine moongliders every ship is unique. For the purposes of gameplay all ships start off using the warscroll for the Kharadron frigate and therefore weapons should be loosely representative (giant crossbow for skyhook etc) and vessels should approximately match in size.

warscroll.jpg.7445ded4ce6e3b386e49acac0392cccd.jpg

Give me ideas!

Freeguild Privateers – A warband of ex-military mercanaries in well maintained but clearly dated armour, blackpowder and blades form the bulk of their military. Their ship is an old kharadron hull with massive smoke stacks tended by many deckhands as they funnel coal to keep it in motion. The captain is a wizened old engineer disillusioned with the military seeking to claim his fortune for retirement.

Murderlust Sirens – A floating testament to khaines might, this sleek vessel outruns many others in the skies with its razorsharp bladelike form. Mounting its own cauldron of blood and held aloft by ethereal mists it is tended by Daughters of Khaine with wicked spears to pluck victims from the ground or fend of boarders. Harpies cling to the side of the hull to be carried into battle.

Wyrdstone Barge – A bizare mirriad of technologies from the Clan Skyre powered by slaves running frantically in wheels whilst their slavers laugh maniacly, this ship often rides in on the storm with lightning rods across its hull powering the lethal lighning cannon on its prow. Globadiers cast poison winds onto unsuspecting victims below whilst stormvermin prepare to pillage and kill.

Slaan temple

Grotrigger Looted Barge

Ghost Ship

And more!

So what now?

Sign up to our Tale of Piratey gamers and select a theme that fits your concept, then start work on the crew. By the end of the first month aim to get 3-5 unique crew members finished (not the captain), these unique models should convey the theme of your ship and each can tell their own unique story. On month two we'll look at captains and their own murderous backstory.

PLOGS:

Mine (Grot Sky Pirates) - 

CHARLOTTE -  Clan Skyre Storm Riders (PLOG TO FOLLOW)

For anyone just up for modelling (or even playing in their local group instead) I'll be working up the additional rules and posting them here anyway. The Warhammer World part is an entirely optional extra at the end (and a non issue for me since I live in nottingham), happy for anyone to be involved.

BATTLEFIELD RULES

Below are a number of unique battlefield rules to represent battles in the sky of Age of Sigmar, you are welcome to use as many or few of the rules as required in your games though we advise using them to add a certain sense of adventure to the setting.

Swirling Tempest

The winds high above the realms are fickle and volatile things, one moment they could be at your back sending your ship hurtling toward its destination, the next they form a near unbreakable wall straining against the hull of the vessel and threatening to snap it in two.

At the beginning of each battle round roll a SCATTER DICE, the direction of the arrow dictates the direction of the wind for this round. Sky Ships who end their move closer to the indicated table edge may add D6 inches to their move (In the movement phase) as the wind carries them forwards, Sky Ships who end their move further away from this table edge must subtract D6 inches from their move (in the movement phase) as they strain against the tempest.

Weather chart

The life of a pirate in the Age of Sigmar is beset with peril, not just from others who seek their fortune riding the winds of the realm but from the volatile weather of the realms themselves. Before the first battle round roll a D6 and consult the table below, this result is in effect for the duration of the battle.

D6 ROLL

RESULT

Becalmed – For the duration of this game do not use the “Swirling Tempest” rules, the air is still.

Heavy Fog – The battlefield is blanketted in a heavy mist reducing visibility to a few metres, an model making a RANGED ATTACK at a target more than 12 inches away must -1 from all TO HIT rolls.

Torrential Rain – heavy rain pounds the decks of the ships leaving them slick and slippery, any model attempting a boarding action action who rolls a natural 1 in the attempt takes a mortal wound as they lose their footing and slip to their peril.

Electrical storm – the air tingles with electrical activity, the very hulls of the ships seem to hum with anticipation. In every battle round after the first roll a dice for every VESSEL on the battlefield, on a roll of a natural 1 that ship suffers a mortal wound as it is struck by lightning.

Clear skies – No additional weather effects

ADDITIONAL FRIGATE RULES

The Kharadon frigate scroll makes a great basis for our pirate ship warscroll, as such all ships use this warscroll as its basis though we encourage you to rename (but not change) the rules and weaponry to represent your pirate crew. All ships gain the additional rules and rule changes below:

Sworn to no flag: Any infantry model may embark on the ship regardless of faction.

Cavalry, Monsters and Artillery may never embark.

The Captains Pride: The benefits of an aetheric navigator are removed for all pirate ships, instead a vessel gains the same benefits if their CAPTAIN is embarked.

Crewless Husk: If at any stage only VESSELS are remaining with no infantry in your force then ships are considered lost and the battle conceded. With nobody to man them they simply drift lifeless in the void

Ramming Speed: If this vessel selects an enemy vessel as the target of a charge move (and successfully makes that move) they may elect to make a ramming action. Both players roll a dice and add their vessels remaining wounds, whoever rolls lower immediately suffers D3 mortal wounds from the impact. In the case of a draw neither ship takes damage. These vessels are now considered ENTANGLED, and remain so until one elects to make a retreat move.

Embark: Pirate Vessels can carry upto 10 models If a friendly model ends its move within 3 inches of a Pirate Vessel in its movement phase it can embark within. Remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side. It is now embarked within.

Upto 3 embarked models may fire ranged weapons out, measuring distance from the hull.

If less than 2 models are embarked the vessel may not fire its main weapon

Boarding Action: In the charge phase any EMBARKED models on this ship may attempt to make a boarding action against an enemy vessel within 6 inches. To do so roll a dice and add modifiers as listed below. On a 4+ the model successfully makes their boarding attempt and can resolve it as though having charged any embarked models on the enemy vessel. For the purposes of the combat set all models engaged in this way off to one side until the combat is fully resolved. If during the boarding action a ship is left with no crew it is no longer capable of completing any actions until such a time as a crew member embarks.

MODIFIERS:

Ships are entangled +1

Friendly vessel charged this turn +1

Enemy vessel moved in their last turn -1

Friendly vessel ran this turn -1

1 minute ago, Melcavuk said:

BATTLEFIELD RULES

Below are a number of unique battlefield rules to represent battles in the sky of Age of Sigmar, you are welcome to use as many or few of the rules as required in your games though we advise using them to add a certain sense of adventure to the setting.

Swirling Tempest

The winds high above the realms are fickle and volatile things, one moment they could be at your back sending your ship hurtling toward its destination, the next they form a near unbreakable wall straining against the hull of the vessel and threatening to snap it in two.

At the beginning of each battle round roll a SCATTER DICE, the direction of the arrow dictates the direction of the wind for this round. Sky Ships who end their move closer to the indicated table edge may add D6 inches to their move (In the movement phase) as the wind carries them forwards, Sky Ships who end their move further away from this table edge must subtract D6 inches from their move (in the movement phase) as they strain against the tempest.

Weather chart

The life of a pirate in the Age of Sigmar is beset with peril, not just from others who seek their fortune riding the winds of the realm but from the volatile weather of the realms themselves. Before the first battle round roll a D6 and consult the table below, this result is in effect for the duration of the battle.

D6 ROLL

RESULT

Becalmed – For the duration of this game do not use the “Swirling Tempest” rules, the air is still.

Heavy Fog – The battlefield is blanketted in a heavy mist reducing visibility to a few metres, an model making a RANGED ATTACK at a target more than 12 inches away must -1 from all TO HIT rolls.

Torrential Rain – heavy rain pounds the decks of the ships leaving them slick and slippery, any model attempting a boarding action action who rolls a natural 1 in the attempt takes a mortal wound as they lose their footing and slip to their peril.

Electrical storm – the air tingles with electrical activity, the very hulls of the ships seem to hum with anticipation. In every battle round after the first roll a dice for every VESSEL on the battlefield, on a roll of a natural 1 that ship suffers a mortal wound as it is struck by lightning.

Clear skies – No additional weather effects

ADDITIONAL FRIGATE RULES

The Kharadon frigate scroll makes a great basis for our pirate ship warscroll, as such all ships use this warscroll as its basis though we encourage you to rename (but not change) the rules and weaponry to represent your pirate crew. All ships gain the additional rules and rule changes below:

Sworn to no flag: Any infantry model may embark on the ship regardless of faction.

Cavalry, Monsters and Artillery may never embark.

The Captains Pride: The benefits of an aetheric navigator are removed for all pirate ships, instead a vessel gains the same benefits if their CAPTAIN is embarked.

Crewless Husk: If at any stage only VESSELS are remaining with no infantry in your force then ships are considered lost and the battle conceded. With nobody to man them they simply drift lifeless in the void

Ramming Speed: If this vessel selects an enemy vessel as the target of a charge move (and successfully makes that move) they may elect to make a ramming action. Both players roll a dice and add their vessels remaining wounds, whoever rolls lower immediately suffers D3 mortal wounds from the impact. In the case of a draw neither ship takes damage. These vessels are now considered ENTANGLED, and remain so until one elects to make a retreat move.

Embark: Pirate Vessels can carry upto 10 models If a friendly model ends its move within 3 inches of a Pirate Vessel in its movement phase it can embark within. Remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side. It is now embarked within.

Upto 3 embarked models may fire ranged weapons out, measuring distance from the hull.

If less than 2 models are embarked the vessel may not fire its main weapon

Boarding Action: In the charge phase any EMBARKED models on this ship may attempt to make a boarding action against an enemy vessel within 6 inches. To do so roll a dice and add modifiers as listed below. On a 4+ the model successfully makes their boarding attempt and can resolve it as though having charged any embarked models on the enemy vessel. For the purposes of the combat set all models engaged in this way off to one side until the combat is fully resolved. If during the boarding action a ship is left with no crew it is no longer capable of completing any actions until such a time as a crew member embarks.

MODIFIERS:

Ships are entangled +1

Friendly vessel charged this turn +1

Enemy vessel moved in their last turn -1

Friendly vessel ran this turn -1

Oh man this is awesome. 

I’m torn between Pirate Ogors or a Tzeentch force riding a giant disc of Tzeentch 

Pirate ogors are always fun, one of my initial concepts was to use the loading ogor from the chaos dwarf artillery train loading a bombard cannon on the ship. Would also be a fantastic way of personalising a ship (suspended like a hot air balloon from a net made of human flesh, or  lifting by the winds of everwinter with ice coating the decks etc)

That said a giant disk of tzeentch floating on a shoal of screamers would look fantastic, like a tempest of sky piranha

Oh I really like this Idea. 
I had a similar Idea  of a small sky pirate campaign but I never thought about expanding into other factions as our game group has enough Kharadron players to make a campaign even without adding other factions.

Im definitely thinking about joining at least the modeling stage with my Swifthawk Agents. The spire guard models lend themselves perfectly for the role of sky ship sailors. Bows for ranged combat and then shield and spears for boarding actions. 

28 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Oh I really like this Idea. 
I had a similar Idea  of a small sky pirate campaign but I never thought about expanding into other factions as our game group has enough Kharadron players to make a campaign even without adding other factions.

Im definitely thinking about joining at least the modeling stage with my Swifthawk Agents. The spire guard models lend themselves perfectly for the role of sky ship sailors. Bows for ranged combat and then shield and spears for boarding actions. 

If getting ambitious could form an even bigger sky chariot out of a LotR great eagle and suitable boat (Dark Eldar raider?)

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

If getting ambitious could form an even bigger sky chariot out of a LotR great eagle and suitable boat (Dark Eldar raider?)

Not so long ago I made plans for something like this:
2017_09_10_age_of_sigmar___skyruler_catamaran_by_gecktron-dbmwv5l.png.b4ed215c4ae8415d91280870df2cf64a.png

Later on I changed the Catamaran to 3 of the Ballistas included in the Skycutter kit instead of using the old Dark Elves one. 
This would definitely be a quite large ship, but not with enough volume to be comparable to the Kharadron Frigate. 

Vaguely frigate sized is all that’s needed, the rule is mostly there so nobody rocks up with a single skyrigger claiming it’s their boat.

My grot ship is likely going to be two gunhaulers with a platform fusing them with both balloons moved to centre and a smoke stack on each side so will lack the length of a frigate but more than exceed width

My go to is kharadon for industrial, dark Eldar for sleek and ornate, monolith for slaan, other options to look at are beast borne (platform on back of favourite monster) or ethereal (spirit carried platform) all as base models obviously

Unsure of size but saw this for a nighthaunt/wraithfleet conversion? 

704199C3-25A1-4372-9CEE-5EE36E62BA3A.jpeg.af7c29244c1475dc0a6f23c3949ac8ec.jpeg

14 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Pirate ogors are always fun, one of my initial concepts was to use the loading ogor from the chaos dwarf artillery train loading a bombard cannon on the ship. Would also be a fantastic way of personalising a ship (suspended like a hot air balloon from a net made of human flesh, or  lifting by the winds of everwinter with ice coating the decks etc)

That said a giant disk of tzeentch floating on a shoal of screamers would look fantastic, like a tempest of sky piranha

I think I’m going to go with pirate Ogors. An Everwinter borne pirate ship with side sails and harpoons is gonna be my ship I think. 

9 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Unsure of size but saw this for a nighthaunt/wraithfleet conversion? 

704199C3-25A1-4372-9CEE-5EE36E62BA3A.jpeg.af7c29244c1475dc0a6f23c3949ac8ec.jpeg

I think I’m going to go with pirate Ogors. An Everwinter borne pirate ship with side sails and harpoons is gonna be my ship I think. 

1:72 (25mm) is a little smaller than gw scale which is around 28mm so that could work for death especially, stormcast are at about a 1:43 scale

24 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

I'm not sure what I should do about this. I would LOVE to participate, but I already have six pirate-themed forces...

Can always variate by non pirate themed pirates (as off as that sounds), one thing I had considered was using the Orlock bodies with the heads and arms from Outriders as an industrial freeguild style Privateer force, its a cool way to be up with pirates and giving their cities plausible deniability.

Part of the reason I held off on the boats for month one is that the idoneth are rumoured for release in in april alongside their fancy sunken ship piece of terrain ;) so I'm sure some avid converters would find that suitable for repair

For people wanting non-pirate pirates as a theme to get involved heres a few:

Aelven Prince and Escort - When chaos ravaged the lands much of this once vibrant cultures relics are pilgered and spread throughout the realms, as the years bore on they changed hands many a time, some eventually returning to the halls of their ancestors but many finding their ways into the hands of private traders or the black market. With his kingdom in tatters this prince now seeks out the emblem of his father, chasing stories and legends and raiding vast treasure hordes in the hopes of one day finding the artifact and restoring his families dignity.

Freeguild Privateers - The vast steam forges of the Freeguild cities are bastions of invovation across the realms, however with war after war raging on their abilities to maintain supply routes has been horrendously impaired. Unable to risk the diplomatic faux pas of sending out their military to secure new supplies their neighbours are unwilling to hand over they instead employ Privateers to loot, pillage and secure vital black powder, metals and precious gems to be used in the forges.

Devoted of Sigmar - As muh a floating temple as it is a sky ship, this glistening relic of sigmars might seeks to bring enlightenment to those most in need of it, or purge the world of their darkness should they be unwilling. Its crew are fanatics, following the every whim of their high lecter as he bellow out sigmars testament from high above the clouds.

Archived