About named characters and keywords...

GorbadIronClaw

Question

Hello everyone! I´ll go straight to he point:

A named character has the command abilities from the keywords it has? For instance: Gorbad IronClaw has the command ability "Da Great Leader", but beign he an Orc Warboss, he is allowed to use the "Waaaagh!" from a generic Orc Warboss too, right? It may be a stupid question and I understand he can, because in the AoS rules you can read that a general can have one or more command abilities in his warscroll, but anyway, is just for reasuring and contrast my opinion with the community.

Thanks to all!!!

Edit: Damm!!! :-( I should have posted this on the rules forum!!! Sorry!! Please any mod, could you move this topic to this section??

My apologies!!!

16 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

The question really is, other than sharing a keyword, what would suggest to you that you could take on the rules from another warscroll?  If you took the "Waaagh!" rule, would you also take the "Choppa Boss" ability, or the "Boss Shield" ability?  If not, why?  What's different about the Abilities section thant he Command Ability section?

In the new rules it says that you can´t change the equipment in a named character, so obviously you cannot apply that. This is really specified. But it is not the case with the other rules as far as I know, that´s the difference as I see it...

Thanks to all for the replies! 

Well, I see you all have very valid points, now it´s much more clearer and justified!

Anyway, I still find very weird that a legendary Orc Warboss can´t declare a Waaaaghh!!!, from a playing and background point of view :-S

So I´m going to ask to GW in their FB page,  just for an official confirmation (people in my group see it and use it the way I do)

Maybe a future faq would reconsider this point. This way it would have much more sense in my personal opinion.  Meanwhile we will use that as a "house rule"^_^

This question has already been answered repeatedly. I think you are free to continue to disagree, but i would also say your questions should go to the "Rules Question" forum. 

Again to answer you all warscrolls are self contained I'd say to this in the rules as written " All generals have the inspiring Presence command ability, and some may have more on THEIR WARSCROLL"  I'd say this is the case unless else where specifically stated explicitly that your character may know this ability. 

I guess if you need more i could also sorta say "All models are described by warscroll, which provide all the rule for using them in the game"

I hope this satisfies you with an answer. Should it not i feel you will be very disappointed for quite some time. 

The Orruk Warboss is one type of Orruk Warboss. Gorebad is another. The only thing they share is the keyword "Orruk Waboss". Both have independant unique Command Abilities. There is no evidence to support Gorebad has access to "Waaagh!", so allowing this is a house rule. If you need further proof, ask the AoS Facebook page.

From the Command Ability section of The Rules: 

In your hero phase, your general can use one command ability. All generals can use the inspiring presence command ability, and some may have more on their warscroll.

The italicisation is mine, for emphasis. 

A named character (who is your general) will have the Inspiring Presence command ability and whatever ability is on their warscroll. Not an ability from someone else's warscroll. The keywords on the scroll are there for other mechanics, such as formations and passive buffs. 

53 minutes ago, BrAiKo said:

Clearly shouldn't work that way.

You could extrapolate this further - Lord Skreech is a chaos hero, so should he have all the command abilities of all other chaos heroes, or just other daemon heroes, or other wizard heroes....  Why should the one keyword grant a shared warscroll ability while others don't?  

I see your point, but it is not  the way you say, from my humble point of view. Indeed, as a hero, he share some charasteristics with others of their type (for instance, he has command abilities) , as a wizard, he share the ability like other wizards to known standard spells (like mystic shield and arcane bolt) and so on...see what I mean?

An Orc Warboss model has the command ability Waaaaghh!!!, so, if Gorbad is an Orc Warboss tagged model, why can´t he apply that??

In the case of Lord Skreech, I have the same opinion: if he is tagged with the keyword verminlord, he should be able to use the command ability of "generic"  verminlords, but I think there is no such a thing (there is vermilords deceiver, warpseer, etc. but not simply "verminlord")

At least in my playgroup everybody agrees with what I´m explaining and we use it that way. The same with other named characters (for instance, Malus Darkblade is a dreadlord, so he can use his personal command ability "hag graef Tyrant" and the generic dreadlord command ability "Cruel Tyrant").

I would understand if you tell me about Archaon beign unable to use chaos lord´s command ability. He could not use the chaos lord´s command ability (I think it is named "unending legion" or something) because if you look at his keywords he is not tagged as such (something I find very weird to be honest), but I repeat, Gorbad is tagged as an Orc Warboss

Clearly shouldn't work that way.

You could extrapolate this further - Lord Skreech is a chaos hero, so should he have all the command abilities of all other chaos heroes, or just other daemon heroes, or other wizard heroes....  Why should the one keyword grant a shared warscroll ability while others don't?  

12 minutes ago, Lucio said:

It'd be crazy to allow it, plus don't overlook potential stacking benefits such as a Waaarrgh banner warboss alongside Gorebad

The faq´s stated that a character is within X from himself and because that is under the effects of its own abilities. So Gorbad IronClaw acts as a "totem" even for himself with his rule "greenzkinz are da best"

6 minutes ago, GorbadIronClaw said:

Thanks for replying guys! But i have to respecfully disagree...

Why not? He is an Orc Warboss, and as such, minus the equipment options he is under the rules of this character´s type in my understanding, the command ability "Waaaagh!" as an example of this. Is there some specification in the rules on why a named character can´t use "generic type" rules? I think is very odd that a generic Orc Warboss could declare a Waaaagh! and a legendary character can not :-S

If that rule existed outside a warscoll then it would be generic - like allegiances and artefacts you'd have a point, but unfortunately it does not.

The question really is, other than sharing a keyword, what would suggest to you that you could take on the rules from another warscroll?  If you took the "Waaagh!" rule, would you also take the "Choppa Boss" ability, or the "Boss Shield" ability?  If not, why?  What's different about the Abilities section thant he Command Ability section?

Thanks for replying guys! But i have to respecfully disagree...

Why not? He is an Orc Warboss, and as such, minus the equipment options he is under the rules of this character´s type in my understanding, the command ability "Waaaagh!" as an example of this. Is there some specification in the rules on why a named character can´t use "generic type" rules? I think is very odd that a generic Orc Warboss could declare a Waaaagh! and a legendary character can not :-S

Archived