What Citadel case to buy?

Kugane

So, I want to upgrade my travel case. Until now I was mostly weighing towards magnetized trays/tins to transport my miniatures, but the magnets keep getting stuck to things like Metal rulers, or simply going off the base when travelling. And with my addition of Vanguard Stormcast Eternals, I'm having a bit of a hard time fitting them in the tins without damaging the fragile bits.

I am now thinking to pick up a citadel case, but I'm quite uncertain which size can fit what. The site mentions the Skirmish Case can fit 100 models, the Battle case 200 models and Crusader 400 models, but what about miniatures, such as a VLoZD or Screaming bell? Would a Battle case be enough to fit a ZD, Mortis engine + a horde of skeletons for example? Or would that already require a crusader case?

Same if I want to play my Skaven, I'm sure I can fit the smaller models in wherever, even a skirmish case could fit a horde of clanrats, but some of the bigger pieces would be a challenge such as a verminlord, screaming bell, 2 warplightning cannons, or even a balewind vortex. Would a battle case be enough for these?

Howdo you manage to fit in yours? :) 

Why are you looking at a Citadel case for? Is it travelling on a plan or anything like that? I would say unless you are planning on doing something like that, you are better off with magnets and a really useful box. The cases are great but if you have a lot of models which are of a certain size or spikiness, you may struggle. 

9 hours ago, chord said:

I have the largest GW case (forget the name) Its not super great for stormcast as the little spikey bits keep getting caught in the foam and don't get my started about wings.  

I have the Crusade case as well. It holds a ton of figures, and does well for traveling. I've flown around the world with mine. However, it does not easily hold really big models.

That said, I REALLY like my new 'Ardcase. Rock solid for traveling, and holds about 75% of what the Crusade Case does.

I have the middle sized battle case. It's decent for holding infantry, although spikier ones stick to it a lot and the new models are taller than the channels now so they go in sideways. For bigger models I transport them in plastic boxes as described above by Gaz and I am now considering it for my whole army as it helps transport and storage.

19 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Why are you looking at a Citadel case for? Is it travelling on a plan or anything like that? I would say unless you are planning on doing something like that, you are better off with magnets and a really useful box. The cases are great but if you have a lot of models which are of a certain size or spikiness, you may struggle. 

What are you using to stick the magnets to in a really useful box? Was thinking of getting some of the KR foam cases for storage/transport, but the RUBs are a helluva lot cheaper, but haven't seen  anyone magnetise them before.

5 minutes ago, CyderPirate said:

What are you using to stick the magnets to in a really useful box? Was thinking of getting some of the KR foam cases for storage/transport, but the RUBs are a helluva lot cheaper, but haven't seen  anyone magnetise them before.

You have the magnets on your models and use steel paper in the boxes (it has a sticky back so will just stick). There are plenty of guides on the web but really useful boxes are great as it's all flat inside

3 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

You have the magnets on your models and use steel paper in the boxes (it has a sticky back so will just stick). There are plenty of guides on the web but really useful boxes are great as it's all flat inside

Where did you get the steel inserts from for sticking in the bottom? I'm looking at making one for transporting the Nighthaunt because putting them in foam is a nightmare.

Edit: Nevermind @talesofsigmar linked some!

Has anyone had any luck transporting the new Nurgle stuff? the GUO is massive, and drones are a pain to move... I need to upgrade from cardboard and bubble wrap, but the GUO and Mortarion for 40k keep presenting me with problems. Ideally I need something that I can use for train travel as well, as I might need to move soon.

Archived