The Painting Contract - March 2018

TheOtherJosh

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been getting through my Freeguild, now got 14 at a reasonable stage so let myself start my hero for the month, an Eldritch Archmage (on foot... kinda).  

Had this idea for ages and super happy to actually pull it off. Painting this weekend, whoop!

IMG_1656.JPG.73756a2a99b961f3fbf963c94bfe44da.JPGIMG_1654.JPG.d4b5a1982938ae1541edb6ed29f41677.JPG

EDIT: Re-sized images

Made it thru my 20 flagellants, excelsior priest, gryphound and steamtank. Still need my bases to come in to finish the group of 30 flagellants and the canon crews. This is my almost complete Deciples of Sigmar army. 2470 pts including pligrimage of wrath. Not valid for a matched game because of an overload of allies (guns and s-tank) but fluffwise perfect. May have taken 13 years to get there but what the heck. It’s the way this hobby rolls. Hope you like.

general : old Valten 

hero: exselsior Warpriest and gryph hound

Excelsior Warpriest 

War Altar

Warpriest mounted - old Luther 

Warpriest mounted - old ulric priest

Warpriest - greathammer

Witch Hunter

10 flagellants - old old guys

20 flagellants - new plastics

30 flagellants - old guys

20 greatswords - sisters of Sigmar 

2 x Hellblasters

1 greatcanon

1 steamtank - named  Atonement

Pilgrimage of Wrath

img_1707.jpgimg_1709.jpgimg_1712.jpg

A culmination of the skaven/beastmen/tzeentch army of 2500 pts,

2470 pts of Devoted of Sigmar (although not valid because of too many allies) but fluff wise perfect and a bunch of terrain ( those green forest attrocities are my first terrain stuff made 13-14 years ago. A tribute to how desparetly I need terrain) built over the same period as December,February, and March and because of a thread like this for inspiration - huzzah to josh - and this incredible AoS home, I can now have it out between these two armies ?

img_1715.jpgimg_1716.jpg

And Lord Radomir steps up to cause the fall of Hammerhal ...

4097B938-06F2-4B38-A14A-070461980377.jpeg.28024c141c6e6fa10ae47374cb90ad21.jpeg

078EF7C5-643B-452B-A4A7-91F005FB5B77.jpeg.ea14a5ab98c3f6be91ba7626453a656a.jpeg

That completes my core pledge for the month! So I’m going to try for some alternate stretch goals (as priming weather has been poor)!

For stretch goals I’m going to try for Warhammer Quest Heroes... either the Doomseeker or the Shard, maybe a Bloodsecrator? Or perhaps a Herald of Tzeentch on foot. Decisions ... decisions ... 

I am a little bit behind my plan to paint my Ironjawz army, but it has grown so much in the last months I could not hold on, but I am currently doing battlefield enhancements so I painted 6 Destruction Objectives and just bought the Warscryer Citadel which will be my main pledge for this month.

Here you can see my objectives I did last week (sry for the bad quality):

35639D8D-D696-4131-89A5-D8312D04A032.jpeg.4760a64fd3524badb9b89fa10b6fa30e.jpeg

So while working on my pledge, I have realized that, in spite of my 8 years of hobbying experience and putting together all sorts of models from many different manufacturers from different materials, I cannot for the life of me put together the Aetherwings or Vanguard Hunters that I  was trying to assemble.  If it's one thing I have discovered about Stormcast Eternal models, it's that they aren't really customizable like they want you to think.  Sure, some of the parts of the Vanguard-Hunters have ball joints or have so room to rotate on their axis, but they want you to fit them together a certain way.  And don't get me started on the fiddly nature of the Aetherwing birds - awesome models, poor and weak connections.  UGH.

Never before have I actually given up on assembling a plastic model before, and the first time in several years since I gave up on some fiddly pewter and other models from Privateer Press.  Blah!

Oh, and I couldn't keep two of my three Palladors on their bases - that one point of contact on the base is aggravating.  I'm going to have get creative on them...

In more positive news, I assembled all my other Stormcast models, and am now working on my step-daughter's Death army.  Wish me luck as I put together 50 skeletons among the rest of the army!

12 hours ago, Hot Peanut said:

I am a little bit behind my plan to paint my Ironjawz army, but it has grown so much in the last months I could not hold on, but I am currently doing battlefield enhancements so I painted 6 Destruction Objectives and just bought the Warscryer Citadel which will be my main pledge for this month.

Here you can see my objectives I did last week (sry for the bad quality):

35639D8D-D696-4131-89A5-D8312D04A032.jpeg.4760a64fd3524badb9b89fa10b6fa30e.jpeg

Awesome objectives!

Done with the horrors! Quick crappy painting table shot for now, better pics in my painting log when I have the time:

IMG_20180321_191149.jpg.21fe8db1706bd6ed03b92e76c146fe11.jpg

Reasonably happy with how they came out. The pink one was supposed to be a little paler, but I used too much Pink Horror and not enough Rakarth Flesh for the base coat mix and didn't realise my error soon enough.

I'm going to have to bail on the conversion part of my pledge, since I haven't yet been able to get the right part I need to finish it (sorry @flemingmma). Instead, I've started painting the grot scuttlings, using mostly washes to get them done quickly.

@Hot Peanut Wow?!!

looking good.  That metal effect on the roof is fantastic. 

This guy guy wasn’t on my list but I’ll throw him in. Was sidetracked a bit when I swapped this general out for the old Valten in my desciples army. Better fluff wise. This guy will lead my freeguild army of 2500 pts of old empire with no Devoted in it. Another pile of reworking which I’m not sure is on the next list. I used an old base my son had made 8 or so years ago and it denotes a good end to dark aelve. I know they are on the order side now but it’s hard to forgive some groups ? The new army might be ironjaws out of old ork army. I started an old rendition of a warboss on a wyvern and I’m starting to get revved. 

img_1749.jpgimg_1750.jpgimg_1751.jpg

March isn’t over yet! WIP. I’m starting to get ramped about an iron jaw force. First to the table is a warboss on a wyvern. Warboss is getting his warpole attached so is detained but the wyvern is almost ready to go. Found another base from my sons era so I like the tie in. 
Also finished my Lord of Change. His rod of sorcery was all that was left and I decided that the base is so likeable to me as opposed to my new bases that I will attach this to a bigger round base and fill in the missing details. Just have to order some big ones plus a boatload of 32 mm  to suit the new orruks. I’m not sure what happened that makes me detest bases so much. There was a time I actually  took time to slightly care. Also not sure about the staff. It’s been hanging for 9 years. Too late now.img_1752.jpgimg_1753.jpgimg_1754.jpg

On 3/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, BunkhouseBuster said:

So while working on my pledge, I have realized that, in spite of my 8 years of hobbying experience and putting together all sorts of models from many different manufacturers from different materials, I cannot for the life of me put together the Aetherwings or Vanguard Hunters that I  was trying to assemble.  If it's one thing I have discovered about Stormcast Eternal models, it's that they aren't really customizable like they want you to think.  Sure, some of the parts of the Vanguard-Hunters have ball joints or have so room to rotate on their axis, but they want you to fit them together a certain way.  And don't get me started on the fiddly nature of the Aetherwing birds - awesome models, poor and weak connections.  UGH.

Never before have I actually given up on assembling a plastic model before, and the first time in several years since I gave up on some fiddly pewter and other models from Privateer Press.  Blah!

Oh, and I couldn't keep two of my three Palladors on their bases - that one point of contact on the base is aggravating.  I'm going to have get creative on them...

In more positive news, I assembled all my other Stormcast models, and am now working on my step-daughter's Death army.  Wish me luck as I put together 50 skeletons among the rest of the army!

Sorry to hear you are struggling.  Ive got plenty of horses poised on one foot when i rebased to ovals, and all held with only plastic glue; some even have lead/metal riders so a fair amount of weight on the join.  I just made sure to put glue on both surfaces and give them a minute to soften before joining, then hold firmly together in my hands for another minute to get a good fix, then prop the model up with a old paint pot or blue tack or cork while it sets solid.

If in doubt a small pin will add strength but also hold them in position while the plastic glue dries.

And the 28th has arrived so it’s the end of the month!

How did you fare for Monthly Painting Contract?

I managed to get my core contract work done:

Gaunt Summoner and Familiars

large.9D4B87D1-3376-43FF-ADEC-AFF82421333A.jpeg.878a2e35ebcf99a9305286481c7aabbc.jpegD0A729B2-E10B-45D2-ABCC-DA9F9231FE0D.jpeg.1d4574dae5b31a0e0937371a8f904071.jpeg

Lord Redomir, Chaos Sorcerer lord of Hammerhal

4097B938-06F2-4B38-A14A-070461980377.jpeg.28024c141c6e6fa10ae47374cb90ad21.jpeg

I didn’t quite get to my stretch goals ... but we have a new painting Contract for April!and I hear some Silver Tower Heroes calling ...

Have to shout out to the above?

Amazing work and that book is insanely crazy. I feel my head spinning looking at those few words/symbols. 

I hit all goals and above.  Very happy with this incentive thread. I’ve got more painting done in a few months than in years before. 

Next month greenskins/ ironjaw army. Alll old materials but I havnt worked the budget up enough for new stuff but I have my eye on some brutes. 

Archived