2k Legion of Sacrament Crazy Resilient + Mega Caster Force.

themortalgod

So just got Legions of Nagash and reading through it I immediately started to notice the sheer volume of casting power and resilience Sacrament can have so I started toying with some list ideas. 

1x Arkhan - 320pts - General,  Soul Harvest

1x Necromancer - 110pts - Shroud of Darkness, Fading Vigour

1x Necromancer - 110pts - Azyrbine Standard, Spectral Grasp

1x Necromancer - 110pts - Overwhelming Dread

1x Vampire Lord - 140pts - Horse, Spirit Gale

1x Vampire Lord - 140pts - Horse,  Amaranthine Orb

1x Mortis Engine - 180pts

1x Corpse Cart with Brazier - 80ps

60x Zombies - 320pts

20x Skeletons  - 160pts - Spears

10x Sekeletons - 80pts - Swords

6x Fel Bats - 160pts

Lords of Sacrament - 70pts

Total - 1980pts

So as mentioned this list gets a bit nuts. The goal is to move all the heroes forward with a giant zombie bubble wrap. 

Arkhan is at +5 to cast, necromancers are at +3 to cast, and all the others are at +2 to cast.  (+1 for allegiance ability, +1 for Corpse Cart, +1 for mortis engine). The chance to double cast makes things magnificently scary.

Meanwhile, I can layer just a ridiculous amount of defensive capability with the spells that will make the whole little death star incredibly difficult to kill. Early game I can use Arkhan's command ability to make the spells longer range then when no longer needed inspiring presence on the zombies. :) 

The Fel bats will either be in a single big unit or two smaller units. Their goal will be to bring mobility to an otherwise very slow army. 

Thoughts? Am I missing anything obvious?

i tend to find blocks of 20 or 30 skeletons pretty meh in regard to their cost.  I would probably switch em for units of Dire wolves. They also would benefit from the corpse cart .

What's more you don't have any way to deal with any troublesome opponents with a +2 save , anything with a ward save against mortals and you are pretty much done .  

2 hours ago, themortalgod said:

So just got Legions of Nagash and reading through it I immediately started to notice the sheer volume of casting power and resilience Sacrament can have so I started toying with some list ideas. 

60x Zombies - 320pts

6x Fel Bats - 160pts

Total - 1980pts

So as mentioned this list gets a bit nuts. The goal is to move all the heroes forward with a giant zombie bubble wrap. 

Arkhan is at +5 to cast, necromancers are at +3 to cast, and all the others are at +2 to cast.  (+1 for allegiance ability, +1 for Corpse Cart, +1 for mortis engine). The chance to double cast makes things magnificently scary.

Meanwhile, I can layer just a ridiculous amount of defensive capability with the spells that will make the whole little death star incredibly difficult to kill. Early game I can use Arkhan's command ability to make the spells longer range then when no longer needed inspiring presence on the zombies. :) 

The Fel bats will either be in a single big unit or two smaller units. Their goal will be to bring mobility to an otherwise very slow army. 

its an unmodified roll of 9 btw so no bonus helps but you might get lucky

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Black Knights (240)
- Deathrattle Battleline
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

=)

or this

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1710 / 2000
Wounds: 114

2 hours ago, GonnaWorkForFood said:

i tend to find blocks of 20 or 30 skeletons pretty meh in regard to their cost.  I would probably switch em for units of Dire wolves. They also would benefit from the corpse cart .

What's more you don't have any way to deal with any troublesome opponents with a +2 save , anything with a ward save against mortals and you are pretty much done .  

I wouldn't say pretty much done, most wards vs mortals re like 6+ or 5+. That isn't exactly reliable. The army certainly doesn't do a ton of damage though, its more about zone control and surviving. 

Interesting about dire wolves. I did consider them but figured I could get more mileage out of skeletons thanks to the banner.  I'm wondeirng if it might be better to drop the bats and just take two min sized dire wolves units to fill battle line. That puts me at 1700 leaving which I could then use to turn one of the vampires into a Vamp Lord on Dragon. 

updated list:

1 Arkhan the Black General, Soul Harvest
1 Necromancer Shroud of Darkness, Fading vigour
1 Necromancer Spectral Grasp
1 Vampire Lord Spirit Gale
1 Necromancer Overwhelming Dread
1 Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon Amaranthine Orb, Azyrbane Standard
1 Corpse Cart with Brazier  
1 Mortis Engine  

60 Zombies  
5 Dire Wolves  
5 Dire Wolves  

55 minutes ago, inflitionz said:

its an unmodified roll of 9 btw so no bonus helps but you might get lucky

Of course, but almost guaranteed casts with a 28% chance to double cast s pretty good when you are casting 7 or 8 spells per turn thats usually a couple double casts per turn on average. 

What about this?

Leaders
Wight King with  Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Battleline
- Spears & shields
- Ancient Blades & shields

10 x Black Knights (240)
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalion
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000

9 minutes ago, ogmaadn said:

What about this?

Leaders
Wight King with  Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Battleline
- Spears & shields

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1710 / 2000

Personally, not really a fan, it sacrifices about half the defensive capability and half the casting potential for slightly better troops. Maybe I'm missing something? Also why the Wight King? He doesn't bring much for his pts cost. 20pts more you get a vampire who hits harder, heals, and is a wizard. 

Also imo Balewind just isn't worth the points, its good against melee armies but I find my caster is dead super fast whenever I jump up onto one since everyone can now easily see him. 

48 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

On a side note, are we still allowed to take units in the old book that aren't in the new book? (aka Zombie Dragon without a rider?)

Zombie Dragon without rider is in the book for 300 points. All the zombie dragons have now been upgraded to match the FEC version (extra attack on maw and talons, and 3+ to hit and rend -3 on breath attack).

My only question is, what wil actually be out there, fighting and causing Damage? The problem with magic heavy lists like this, especially in Death, is that you lack offensive punch. You get 1 hero phase worth of casting, and than, you have to wait until that comes again to accomplish anything. My suggestion is to add more punch to the list by dropping the 3rd Necromancer, and giving the Banner to a Vampire lord, or swapping it out for the bracelets and give them to a vampire.

1 hour ago, Undeadly said:

My only question is, what wil actually be out there, fighting and causing Damage? The problem with magic heavy lists like this, especially in Death, is that you lack offensive punch. You get 1 hero phase worth of casting, and than, you have to wait until that comes again to accomplish anything. My suggestion is to add more punch to the list by dropping the 3rd Necromancer, and giving the Banner to a Vampire lord, or swapping it out for the bracelets and give them to a vampire.

To a degree, yeah, I'd agree, see the updated list above where I made points for a dragon rider to be the hammer. :) Perhaps even taking it a step further and doing a second riderless zombie dragon, not sure what I'd drop to do it though. Then it would basically be super hard to kill monster mash sort of list. 

Here is another alternative that also brings in some spirit hosts for some more mortal wound output.

1 Necromancer Spectral Grasp

1 Necromancer Overwhelming Dread
1 Mortis Engine  

60 Zombies  
5 Dire Wolves  
5 Dire Wolves  

3 Spirit Hosts  

8 hours ago, themortalgod said:

60x Zombies - 320pts

6x Fel Bats - 160pts

Total - 1980pts

If your opponent has any significant shooting you're going to be losing vampire lords, necromancers and even Arkhan THROUGH their bonuses. The vamp lords are especially vulnerable. While you have amazing debuffing potential, if the Vamp with amaranthine and Arkhan go down, you may well not kill another model for the rest of the game.

Finally, without a balewind you are TERRIFYINGLY vulnerable to a turn 1-2 double turn.

2 hours ago, Burf said:

If your opponent has any significant shooting you're going to be losing vampire lords, necromancers and even Arkhan THROUGH their bonuses. The vamp lords are especially vulnerable. While you have amazing debuffing potential, if the Vamp with amaranthine and Arkhan go down, you may well not kill another model for the rest of the game.

Finally, without a balewind you are TERRIFYINGLY vulnerable to a turn 1-2 double turn.

Thats true of any undead army though. There is no way around that.  Our hitting power is mostly in monsters/characters and sniping characters is easy. Though this army has more resilience against shooting than most, what scares me more is mortal wound spam from say a Tzeentch list where debuffing their hit and wound rolls doesn't do anything to stop them. 

Also what does the balewind do to help against a turn 1-2 double turn? The design of this army is for the wizards to move as a unit to maximize buffs, tossing someone up on a balewind means he can't keep up. Sure it buffs range but 100pts for some extra range isn't going to make much difference against a double turn (or much else), its not like these are wizards who are throwing crazy powerful damage spells where the balewind double range is massively powerful. 

Here is another build that would hit pretty hard. :) 

1 Necromancer Ovewhelming Dread

1 Mortis Engine  

40 Zombies  
5 Dire Wolves  
5 Dire Wolves  

1 Terrorgheist  

Edit: Changed the riderless Zombie Dragon to a Terrorgheist as it seems in almost all situations a Terrorgheist is simply better for the same points.  (Fanged Maw the same as Snapping Maw but has a 6+ hit effect making it better, 7 attacks at damage 2 better than 4 attacks at damage D3, better shooting attack (marginally), and has a death effect.)

3 hours ago, Undeadly said:

Welcome to Death; where the Hordes are nameless and the Heros are the stars of the show!

This, plus AoS has always been a hero hammer of sorts. The most powerful heroes in this game are way more impactful than any edition of fantasy was since like the 90s or even earlier. The idea that say Nagash leads a small warband with like 80 or 90 infantry is ridiculous, in fluff he would be at the helm tens of thousands of troops. But we don't care and an army of thousands isn't playable, Nagash is awesome and fun. Herohammer is fun! :) 

6 hours ago, themortalgod said:

This, plus AoS has always been a hero hammer of sorts. The most powerful heroes in this game are way more impactful than any edition of fantasy was since like the 90s or even earlier. The idea that say Nagash leads a small warband with like 80 or 90 infantry is ridiculous, in fluff he would be at the helm tens of thousands of troops. But we don't care and an army of thousands isn't playable, Nagash is awesome and fun. Herohammer is fun! :) 

Off topic but I don't know if I agree.  Well..I definitely agree that hero hammer is the most fun :D.

I think the best performing lists typically have key heroes performing mundane tasks (+1 to hit, teleporting other units, +1 to save) while the battle line blocks rack up combos and points.   Heroes are too squishy or you have to do nonsense (like giant hero bubbles buffing heroes buffing heroes buffing heroes) to keep a key hero alive. (Double castellant around a stardrake with staunch defender and tempest lantern and a battle mage adding a save to the castellant with the lantern with a luminark behind being blocked by the stardrake......yada yada.."

However....this is kinda just deaths 'take' on that.  I personally would love to see a really competitive army based around heroes who use minimal unit support and just deathstar by themselves.

Don't know if this is it, but it would certainly be fun when it worked.

18 minutes ago, Vextol said:

Off topic but I don't know if I agree.  Well..I definitely agree that hero hammer is the most fun :D.

I think the best performing lists typically have key heroes performing mundane tasks (+1 to hit, teleporting other units, +1 to save) while the battle line blocks rack up combos and points.   Heroes are too squishy or you have to do nonsense (like giant hero bubbles buffing heroes buffing heroes buffing heroes) to keep a key hero alive. (Double castellant around a stardrake with staunch defender and tempest lantern and a battle mage adding a save to the castellant with the lantern with a luminark behind being blocked by the stardrake......yada yada.."

However....this is kinda just deaths 'take' on that.  I personally would love to see a really competitive army based around heroes who use minimal unit support and just deathstar by themselves.

Don't know if this is it, but it would certainly be fun when it worked.

Well,  I didn't say mega heroes were optimal, but never before has warhammer seen a mega centrepiece monster/hero that is 25%-50% of a 2000pt game in almost every single army before. The game is certainly ver hero hammer focused these days. ;) 

14 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

Well,  I didn't say mega heroes were optimal, but never before has warhammer seen a mega centrepiece monster/hero that is 25%-50% of a 2000pt game in almost every single army before. The game is certainly ver hero hammer focused these days. ;) 

I suppose.  Seems like we still see a lot of "little" stuff at the top though.  Most lists  (outside death) don't max out the hero slots.   I'm sure this new battletomes will change that for a while.

4 minutes ago, Vextol said:

I suppose.  Seems like we still see a lot of "little" stuff at the top though.  Most lists  (outside death) don't max out the hero slots.   I'm sure this new battletomes will change that for a while.

Yeah, certainly at a competitive level but I think GW generally intends for most casual players to be running something big. I remember back in the day when an opponent had a dragon rider on a 50mm base that was pretty cool, big mega heroes just weren't common. And the dragon rider really didn't do that much damage and was super vulnerable to combat resolution. Nothing like the heroes of AoS.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:56 PM, themortalgod said:

60x Zombies - 320pts

6x Fel Bats - 160pts

Total - 1980pts

Needs more cowbell. This makes a decent tar pit, but it will struggle to hurt anything. You need some offensive units.

Archived