Floating Islands

Redmanphill

So I’ve wanted to make some more Age of Sigmar specific terrain for a while. Here is my test piece: a floating island. I intend to make more, and to make them more elaborate. As I said this is just a proof of concept. I think it worked well and once I get done with my current batch of Stormcast I’ll be doing the next one.

E6A811A6-7BF3-48E7-8886-FAA8735A9FB3.jpeg

F83B2B61-791A-4F66-B1E8-643E09830818.jpeg

92BBC874-20B7-4670-87F3-A7B1D48F8F9B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve managed to get the second island of the Tanglewood Shoals finished. This one couldn’t just be a flat boring piece like the last so I jazzed it up a bit with a small ruin. The idea is to have the pieces as playable as possible with the two I’ve already done forming a stairs onto the larger island(s). I also want them to be as playable underneath as possible so they aren’t blocking chunks of the board. It’s a compromise between height and playability but I think I’ve managed it well. These might see a game on Thursday and it would be nice to know if they are working before proceeding....

BBE3CC6B-8412-4914-A283-997355E53105.jpeg

4D9BB8E1-13FB-4771-86AF-1F975A98190B.jpeg

A861D0E1-360E-4402-9C97-89F5E0BCC808.jpeg

4ACA9661-F376-423D-9B2D-142F64BDFC04.jpeg

7F656FBA-21CB-4468-BCB4-EFA568B45180.jpeg

On 2/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, Redmanphill said:

I’ve managed to get the second island of the Tanglewood Shoals finished. This one couldn’t just be a flat boring piece like the last so I jazzed it up a bit with a small ruin. The idea is to have the pieces as playable as possible with the two I’ve already done forming a stairs onto the larger island(s). I also want them to be as playable underneath as possible so they aren’t blocking chunks of the board. It’s a compromise between height and playability but I think I’ve managed it well. These might see a game on Thursday and it would be nice to know if they are working before proceeding....

BBE3CC6B-8412-4914-A283-997355E53105.jpeg

4D9BB8E1-13FB-4771-86AF-1F975A98190B.jpeg

A861D0E1-360E-4402-9C97-89F5E0BCC808.jpeg

4ACA9661-F376-423D-9B2D-142F64BDFC04.jpeg

7F656FBA-21CB-4468-BCB4-EFA568B45180.jpeg

It looks amazing! Are you going add some rubble on the base? Or maybe some on the way down? 

On 13/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, Nutty said:

Maybe you can do some smaller floating 'stepping stones' as a means to get up and down the rocks, or moving between them.

The two islands you see are the stepping stones. All I need is one that’s right down on ground level. It will look like it’s chained in place to explain why it’s essentially on the ground.

The two above already touch and there in only an inch difference in height so it’s easy to see models clambouring up the island side.

What will be tough is getting the two larger islands done. That’s a project I’ll do in a few weeks time, I still have to finalize the idea in my head.

@Redmanphill Those are going to be some sizeable islands :) Will you be carving them out of styrodor or something similar? or will you use corkbark for those aswell? I've never worked with that kind of bark (just bark chips for rocks etc.) so I'm a bit curious as to what you could do with bigger pieces, and if the weight becomes a problem.

9 hours ago, Nutty said:

Will you be carving them out of styrodor or something similar? or will you use corkbark for those aswell?

I’ll be using cork. While it’s heavier than the equivalent volume of foam it’s still a light weight material. Having a more realistic rock texture is more important to me than the weight and as the difference isn’t so big it’s definitely worth it. The main weight problem comes from adding an air drying modeling clay onto the top of the cork to form a smooth consistent surface. That stuff is heavy but as the cork is so irregular it pretty much has to be done.

As the final two islands will be about 10” above the tabletop and will have a structure on each of them, I’ll have to pay a lot of attention to the centre of gravity. Anyway more of that to come in a few weeks....

17 hours ago, stato said:

The ruin feels a little clean for a ruin, no rubble etc.  but still great idea and execution.

It’s very clean, pristine in fact. I’ve been thinking about that and while I might add some more rubble to it I’ve also been thinking that this ruin is raised up high above the shelter of most trees and rocks. It’s exposed to a lot of wind, maybe that keeps it relatively clean.

26 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

It’s very clean, pristine in fact. I’ve been thinking about that and while I might add some more rubble to it I’ve also been thinking that this ruin is raised up high above the shelter of most trees and rocks. It’s exposed to a lot of wind, maybe that keeps it relatively clean.

Hmm. Possibly it didnt collapse then and the magics that make it float actually popped it out of its original reality into its current location, so any rubble is with the rest of the build which collapsed when this bit vanished xD.  Still though what i think might be that final touch is stretching your mosses and grasses onto the pavement a tiny bit, just to break up the sharp clean edge, or maybe as weeds even in the cracks in the flagstones or bricks.

On 16/2/2018 at 9:34 AM, stato said:

... final touch is stretching your mosses and grasses onto the pavement a tiny bit, just to break up the sharp clean edge, or maybe as weeds even in the cracks in the flagstones or bricks.

Yeah I think that’s what I’ll do, good idea

You know... I've been planning on making floating island terrain since somewhere around 6th/7th edition Warhammer Fantasy...
I just never seemed to get around to it and now I'm seeing them pop up all over the place.
Yours look amazing, using cork bark gives them a beautiful texture. I was just planning mine as textured foam/polystyrene builds.

Yeah, I have been thinking of using expanding spray foam, sprayed on a flat surface and allowed to bubble, expand and dry.  Then use a long blade to slice ot off the flat surface, which will become the flat top.  Drill into it and add the 'flying stem' and then paint it with latex paints and flock the top.

Might even be easier if expanding foam does not stick to something like saran wrap, because then you could just peel it off the flat side after the foam cures.  The only problem I see is the expanding foam looking too smooth for rock.

Archived