Malign Portents

Will Myers

18 hours ago, Sete said:

If you kill them all, you will get the bad guys. ;)

Khorne approved ;) !

19 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

For me that's part of the point, the Knights Excelsior are the least humane and optimistic Stormcast about.  They'll happily slaughter a village on the off-chance one villager spoke to a Chaos worshipper.  It makes them really easy to play, they're already attacking shadows in case they're hiding something.  Other chambers have retained their humanity, so they're less likely to take such extreme action without ensuring that it's necessary

Yeah I actually see that aspect of the Stormcast as less Space Marines and more like the Inquisition to be honest. There is indeed some overlap, but the overlap can be pretty much found everywere if we're talking about augmented heroes. I mean Master Chief can be called a Space Marine, Marcus Fenix can be called a Space Marine, etc. But the prime difference remains that so far we have seen a lot of Chaos influenced Space Marine and no Chaos influenced Stormcast :)

I am also not so certain that the Vampire was telling lies. As before the Free Guilds, if they are akin to Warhammer Fantasy's Empire, might have quite tight connections with the Death powers and thus ultimately Nagash also.

What we see is that Darkoath excist which basically where Free Guilds who gave into the Chaos Gods. What is to say that we don't see Free Guilds give into Death Gods? Perhaps not even seeing Nagash as the direct source they worship. Maby for the Free Guilds the comming of Nagash is directly seen as the closest prophet to Morr for them. 

In addition to his role as a god of the dead, Morr is also the god of prophecy. While many of his omens are exactly what one might expect -- a raven circling a house where someone is about to die, for instance -- he may also grant more far-ranging visions of the future to his priests.

Prophecy, omens, visions... Kind of fits the Malign Portents vibe a bit too good ;) 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Killax said:

Yeah I actually see that aspect of the Stormcast as less Space Marines and more like the Inquisition to be honest. There is indeed some overlap, but the overlap can be pretty much found everywere if we're talking about augmented heroes. I mean Master Chief can be called a Space Marine, Marcus Fenix can be called a Space Marine, etc. But the prime difference remains that so far we have seen a lot of Chaos influenced Space Marine and no Chaos influenced Stormcast :)

I think we should altogether separate this kind of purges and zealotry found in AoS (Lord Veritant, Faithful of Sigmar, Knights Excelsior) from that found in WH40ks Imperium, since, though they might look the same in outcome (they are not, but more on that later), they occur for very different reasons and in entirely different context.

In the Imperium, everything comes down to dogma and indoctrination given out from the highest authorities, where not being an exterminating zealot is itself more often than not an offense punishable by death or worse and often the only question is just how extreme an individual or faction is and how exactly they go about it.

In the Mortal Realms on the other hand, there seems to be very little direction and dogma to this sort of thing, those who do it do so because of their own conviction and experience, it is not the standard. This does not exactly keep Sigmars hands squeaky clean, he created the Knights Excelsior on purpose, so far seems indifferent to even their worst atrocities and even seems to place them in battlezones close to allies and the uninvolved when he has no special reason to expect their paranoid bend to be of particular use.

The big difference here is free will. Bar the most heavily reforged Stormcast, every member of the factions of Order has every capacity and more often than not the freedom to form and follow their own will and agenda. Compare that to a Space Marine, who had all personality he might have had wiped out as part of their transformation, followed by hypno-indoctrination and then might be lucky enough to develop something approaching an individual view. A huge difference to Stormcast, who are exalting exactly for their already formed personality and lifetime of experiences.

And I think this also affects how the Extremists go about their horrible business as compared to those of WH40k. While Imperials will act with extreme prejudice according to pre-formulated patterns of action, we can see here and in "To truly Excel", that the Knights Excelsior, even in their most clouded moments, still weight up the individual situation and form up a specific judgment and course of action, even if it might be predictable, brutal and appalling.

4 hours ago, Killax said:

Hide contents

I am also not so certain that the Vampire was telling lies. As before the Free Guilds, if they are akin to Warhammer Fantasy's Empire, might have quite tight connections with the Death powers and thus ultimately Nagash also.

What we see is that Darkoath excist which basically where Free Guilds who gave into the Chaos Gods. What is to say that we don't see Free Guilds give into Death Gods? Perhaps not even seeing Nagash as the direct source they worship. Maby for the Free Guilds the comming of Nagash is directly seen as the closest prophet to Morr for them. 

Prophecy, omens, visions... Kind of fits the Malign Portents vibe a bit too good ;) 

Spoiler

I think from the info we got with Malign Portents so far there can be no doubt that the forces of Death have thoroughly infiltrated the Free Peoples and Cities, including the Freeguild, leadership, elites and other armed forces, just as the Vampire claims.

While I am not certain it means we will get mortal members of GA Death (beyond Deathmages), I think it is becoming increasingly likely. If we do, I am sure, they would be as similar in looks and equipment to the Freeguild as the Darkoath and Slaves to Darkness are.

The big question is: Did the Vampire give the names of actual collaborators, or those of untainted personalities? And even if he did tell true names, where it really any contacts the forces of Death could not afford to loose. Even if the Vampire told the full truth, what will it do to the town when its already feared for its brutal line garrison declares a sudden new purge against a threat no one has ever even heard of against people most hold above suspicion?

It really is a situation in which Death can only win, massively destabilizing an entire Free City and keeping its armed forces tied up and distracted no matter how it goes.

1 minute ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I think from the info we got with Malign Portents so far there can be no doubt that the forces of Death have thoroughly infiltrated the Free Peoples and Cities, including the Freeguild, leadership, elites and other armed forces, just as the Vampire claims.

While I am not certain it means we will get mortal members of GA Death (beyond Deathmages), I think it is becoming increasingly likely. If we do, I am sure, they would be as similar in looks and equipment to the Freeguild as the Darkoath and Slaves to Darkness are.

The big question is: Did the Vampire give the names of actual collaborators, or those of untainted personalities? And even if he did tell true names, where it really any contacts the forces of Death could not afford to loose. Even if the Vampire told the full truth, what will it do to the town when its already feared for its brutal line garrison declares a sudden new purge against a threat no one has ever even heard of against people most hold above suspicion?

It really is a situation in which Death can only win, massively destabilizing an entire Free City and keeping its armed forces tied up and distracted no matter how it goes.

Oh I certainly agree, there is a massive difference. It was just me responding to a poster who said that Space Marines and Stormcast are alike, in some parts they are, in a lot they arn't. Which is why the statement started with agumented hero X or Y can also always be called a Space Marine-alike. 

I too think that the magical Death workshop is a logical thing to occr. Again we see that AoS' Free People are all akin to the humans we knew from WFB so I think that they are certainly capable to work under the influence of one of the greater gods. Especially within Shyish the power of Nagash is very hard to deny or ignore. I too am looking very forward in how the narrative will unfold this time. 

In terms of model releases we'll have to wait and see. It could be a very cool concept to explore. MP scenery could be really cool to really flesh out the campaign even more!

29 minutes ago, Akylas said:

Just got my copy of Malign Portents and the Knight of Shrouds Herald. Does anyone know his base size? He didn't come with a base and I'd rather make do with one I have than wait to get a new one shipped.

You may be able to get a second Knight of Shrouds if you tell contact GW and tell them your model shipped without his base. 

Id like to say cheers to everyone on this thread: your discussion of MP has given me and my regular opponent the motivation to get involved with dread solstice! We each have sizeable VC armies which were rapidly updating, and we plan to try out all of the LoN allegiances vs various forces over the 6 weeks, based on how the narrative evolves. Cheers!

@Captain Marius great to hear! I think that MP is a lot of fun for everybody who isn't a hater of the realm of Death basically :P 

As before I'd love to see Games Workshop continue with this vibed content. I mean I still really want to see Stormcast, Fyreslayers and Khorne duke it out in the realm of fire also, as some kind of remulation for the narrative we had with that extra system involved.

All in all it's just great content so far and I really like how Games Workshop is promoting and fleshing this campaign out. It would be awesome if it was a consistent yearly occurance. 

2 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

The new story is great ! Love the mention of Skaven - there is too few as of now in AOS fluff !

Actually no, the good old ratmen have quite a lot of attention plus played a major part in the Realmgate Wars. They do deserve more battletomes, though.

16 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Actually no, the good old ratmen have quite a lot of attention plus played a major part in the Realmgate Wars. They do deserve more battletomes, though.

That's their first mention regarding MP (there is a few interesting tidbits in the campaign book itself, principally about Eshin - like at the end of the Realmgate Wars) but that's it, really. And I've read every AOS book, be it BL or Citadel, and I tell you this : there is not enough Skavens ! Then I really like the little ratmen ;)

Seriously though, some actions in the RGW against Stormcast or Fyreslayers isn't enough (the Pestilens and Behemat part are maybe better), but as there is something big coming in Blight City with the Pestilens and Masterclan alliance, and with clan Eshin knowing things about Slaanesh, I remain content for now... (a few miniature like the Silver tower assassin and the Shadespire warbands help the wait too).

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

We need a big Skavens book, and the "rivalry", Great Horned Rat vs Nagash, plot line should be played out more-

I'd prefer rather separate clan books, really, they all deserve them.

11 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I'm glad everyone agrees that Clan Skryre need a battletome and an expanded and updated model line. Next!

Skryre as well, surely. Maybe after MP they will be getting something.

I would just give Skaven one big book. All the big clans hire out thier services to the other ones anyway so there should be no issue with taking Skyre, Moulder, Eshin and Pestilens units in most skaven armies. Plus even if you focus on the big clans they all have Clanrats and Stormvermin within them.

Those wonderful little rat-men scurried-run into the very cockles of my heart and I love them dearly. At this point though, I would give all the warpstone in the realms for a new line of Skaven minis. Everyone else's releases are so incredible, I just want the same treatment for the rats. Someday!

Archived