Malign Portents

Will Myers

Confirmation by GW or not, I'm inclined to believe that AoS wasn't doing so hot between launch and the release of the GHB based on anecdotal evidence. For one, the Kings of War community seemed to grow rapidly(both online and locally) being made up of largely former WHFB players and then if fell off a cliff after the GHB(again, both locally and online) when all the old WHFB players started playing AoS. Many of the the local store basically sold out the rest of their WHFB stuff, often on clearance, and didn't get anything else until after the GHB. Online is a little harder to judge on sales since there's nothing official outside of GW at the time, but the AoS starter for instance was going in the neighborhood of $60-70 for a while until the GHB dropped and I haven't seen it that low since. This is all in the US of course, from what I understand, the UK stuck with GW a little better.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Infeston said:

But I also wanted to state that, even though I am disappointed, I really like the videos and the website. I have watched the "Behind the scenes" video now several times. And I have to say I am more and more excited about the narrative backround and the extra rules for the game. I have the feeling the new book gives a lot of context and rules to create very exciting battles to enhance the game experience.

Agreed, I think the major take away is that nothing that GW released today is bad, they just mismanaged the hype. Maybe the rumored production issues are to blame and delayed Nurgle releases(assuming Nurgle stuff should have come on the heels of the Death Guard for 40k and part of Blightwar for AoS, which itself maybe should've been a bigger deal) caused Death(and more?) stuff to be pushed back and more stuff should have been announced today.

I just want to say 2 things. 

1. This website is all I have been waiting for since AOS launch. Imagine if it had been handled like the 40k 7th to 8th transition. But I'm glad we now have it. 

2. With the Maggotkin release around the corner, a Battletome + New models announcement was unlikely. Instead we got :

- 4 Heroes (for each GA),
- 1 Campaign book (for Narrative and Matched plays),
- Rereleased thematic sceneries,
- Global campaign website, with awesome background, timeline, artworks, videos (the Mortal Realms explanation is incredibly good),
- Also free wallpapers and BL short stories.

- NEW MODELS 100% CONFIRMED (see the AOS Facebook page).

With all the focus on Shyish and Nagash, I'm almost certain we'll see a new Death Battletome between February and January (if we follow the hints in the background and in the GHB17 - i.e. the lack of Allegiance Abilities -  it's gonna be Deathrattle).

2 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Harsh? I wasnt trying to be insulting, just factual. I don’t think we found out more than we already knew in that statement is my point. And yes, know. Lets not pretend people aren’t capable of thinking and putting A and B together. This community here is amazing at working with information and it is exciting to see peoples conclusions and how quickly they work out good arguments from rumors and artistic information. Id be sad to see that go to be replaced by a few scribbled lines spelling out every single move GW makes. And if you still can’t make out good conclusions, there is no shame or harm in asking, which was done. And a response was given. 

I did not mean to imply that your where actively trying to be insulting (I do not think it is your style), nor did I me to offend, though I think you yourself realise your writing could be taken as an insult by some. Being factual from ones own point of view without regard for possible emotional reactions fits my definition of harsh quite well.

I really do not see the risk of the speculation and working out informations  going away. I quite enjoyed the speculative nature of the teaser and buildup phase for Malign Portents and think such Community actions are a very valid and valuable part of company public communications.

However, an website reveal and official announcement is a very different form of communication. An announcement should be clear and as factual and informative as possible and ideally premtively adress concerns that could come up among your audience. In this regard, the Malign Portents reveal failed utterly, since it did not give any factual informations that could not have been guessed beforehand, nor did it even confirm all such information or adress no possible concern.

And just to be clear, I do not think that this ought to have been handled better because anyone is entitled to better and clearer information, but because I feel it would be in GWs own interest.

This reveal has not just stirred up the usual suspects, but it has also left many people with a generaly positive disposition somewhat to very disappointed. I think this is a pity, especially with so much good content, that shows a lot of love and effort went into this rollout, going underapreciated because of some (ultimately minor) PR missteps.

Just now, HorticulusTGA said:

Here, my friend 

MP_More Models.png

MP_More Death.png

Nothing to really hang your hat on as far as new models beyond the existing 4 coming(just enough marketing speak in there), but there seems like reason to hope.

I've got to pick up some skeletons tomorrow anyway for my skirmish/path to glory campaign to get a head start. Wonder if I should go with the Start Collecting or Barrowlords box first. Probably going to need both in the long term.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

Nothing to really hang your hat on as far as new models beyond the existing 4 coming(just enough marketing speak in there), but there seems like reason to hope.

I've got to pick up some skeletons tomorrow anyway for my skirmish/path to glory campaign to get a head start. Wonder if I should go with the Start Collecting or Barrowlords box first. Probably going to need both in the long term.

You are skeptic ;) I know there is marketing speech on their social media pages, but I never saw them directly lying. And "There will be models" (I have read more of this kind of answers from them regarding MP those past weeks, so it's not a "today's backpedaling" thing) and "there is plenty more to show" on a comment asking precisely for Death models = IMO 100% confirmed. I could be wrong, and then I would be really disappointed. But I am confident.

And for the skellies I would say both, but before : do you have the Sepulchral Guard ? Mostest important big to have regarding AOS skeletons :D

4 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

You are skeptic ;) I know there is marketing speech on their social media pages, but I never saw them directly lying. And "There will be models" (I have read more of this kind of answers from them regarding MP those past weeks, so it's not a "today's backpedaling" thing) and "there is plenty more to show" on a comment asking precisely for Death models = IMO 100% confirmed. I could be wrong, and then I would be really disappointed. But I am confident.

And for the skellies I would say both, but before : do you have the Sepulchral Guard ? Mostest important big to have regarding AOS skeletons :D

They're not directly in the PtG book, but I had already thought of proposing that as an alternate rule to add the Shadespire warbands as an alternate on the basic followers table. Let me replace those awful Dire Wolf(I know everybody want deathrattle, but zombie stuff is probably the worst of their plastics) models off as a possibility.

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

They're not directly in the PtG book, but I had already thought of proposing that as an alternate rule to add the Shadespire warbands as an alternate on the basic followers table. Let me replace those awful Dire Wolf(I know everybody want deathrattle, but zombie stuff is probably the worst of their plastics) models off as a possibility.

Or you could just have them as 6 normal Skeletons and 1 King ? I agree for the zombie and hounds, but the corpse cart is IMO amazing ! It should have been a Deathmages unit (and the Mortis, a proper Nighthaunt unit !).

BTW what I also love with the Malign Portents background is the Innerland Marches of Shyish map ; it gave us the location of Shadespire and of Gothizzar ! It's great because GW is piecing together its lore.

EDIT : re reading the MP website and the WarCom announcement article, I also think that this summer, after all the Spring releases and the global campaign, we'll see Age Of Sigmar, Second Edition.

11 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Or you could just have them as 6 normal Skeletons and 1 King ? I agree for the zombie and hounds, but the corpse cart is IMO amazing ! It should have been a Deathmages unit (and the Mortis, a proper Nighthaunt unit !).

BTW what I also love with the Malign Portents background is the Innerland Marches of Shyish map ; it gave us the location of Shadespire and of Gothizzar ! It's great because GW is piecing together its lore.

EDIT : re reading the MP website and the WarCom announcement article, I also think that this summer, after all the Spring releases and the global campaign, we'll see Age Of Sigmar, Second Edition.

Yeah, the corpse cart is pretty good. I'll probably end up running my Mantic Zombies in the campaign and find a decent proxy for the direwolves.

3 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I was thinking of Death for my new year new army challenge. But now with the Malign portents I dont know if I dare to spend money on anything. Maybe Nagash himself because I guess that he is here to stay  (and totally the coolest model).

I don't think Death will lose any of the current models so I think you will be pretty safe to get any of them - I just wouldn't buy too many of any one thing to start with. Improvements will likely come from new battalions, Character synergies and points changes so they should be easy enough to react to if you don't over invest in any one unit - except skeletons you will always need a load of them!

2 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I did not mean to imply that your where actively trying to be insulting (I do not think it is your style), nor did I me to offend, though I think you yourself realise your writing could be taken as an insult by some. Being factual from ones own point of view without regard for possible emotional reactions fits my definition of harsh quite well.

I really do not see the risk of the speculation and working out informations  going away. I quite enjoyed the speculative nature of the teaser and buildup phase for Malign Portents and think such Community actions are a very valid and valuable part of company public communications.

However, an website reveal and official announcement is a very different form of communication. An announcement should be clear and as factual and informative as possible and ideally premtively adress concerns that could come up among your audience. In this regard, the Malign Portents reveal failed utterly, since it did not give any factual informations that could not have been guessed beforehand, nor did it even confirm all such information or adress no possible concern.

And just to be clear, I do not think that this ought to have been handled better because anyone is entitled to better and clearer information, but because I feel it would be in GWs own interest.

This reveal has not just stirred up the usual suspects, but it has also left many people with a generaly positive disposition somewhat to very disappointed. I think this is a pity, especially with so much good content, that shows a lot of love and effort went into this rollout, going underapreciated because of some (ultimately minor) PR missteps.

This conversation could most certainly go really far and i know we both agree that this might not be the forum to do so. You seem like a cool dude despite our at points clear disagreements. So I’ll virtually shake your hand and if you want to continue the discussion I’ll gladly do so. :) Ive spent too many years arguing over this stuff at art institutions and it rarely ends well haha. I hope my comment didnt cause you any pain and i’ll keep them to myself in the future. ? 

?✌️

1 minute ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I don't think Death will lose any of the current models so I think you will be pretty safe to get any of them - I just wouldn't buy too many of any one thing to start with. Improvements will likely come from new battalions, Character synergies and points changes so they should be easy enough to react to if you don't over invest in any one unit - except skeletons you will always need a load of them!

Yeah but I was thinking about keywords etc. It's a mess right now. Deathrattle, Soulblight, Nighthaunt, Deathmage and Deadwalker. Might aswell be one army.

I like the website, the characters are cool.Exciting things to come for Age of Sigmar...didn't need a countdown, should have just come out. 

My gripe, isn't about Malign Portentsbut rather the lack of much for Age of Sigmar (Nurgle Release is mostly daemons for both systems, and then blight king kitbashes, battletome is very welcome though). Meanwhile, in 40k there's been 3 primarchs (two of which are massive daemons) releases along with their respective armies. The last forgeworld age of Sigmar release another Khorne Daemon.

I know I bang on about the incarnates/gods being released, but to this date I've never been more excited for Age of Sigmar since Alarielle or Archaon came out, after that we just well, I feel like we just got filler/leftovers that should have been released before the The world that's was was torn to bits. But I'm a faithful pleb, and will jump through GW's hoops.

To reiterate, whatever is coming looks cool...  I think. The website is cool, and shows a big shift from GW they could easily have turned the content on that website into a book.  So it's nice to get this content and get people into the loreapart from the blurbs written in the unit descriptions on their web store. Positive changes. Now Give me Malerion and the other Gods Rountree :ph34r:

Off topic from the rants but with the whole "GWs doesn't do art for non-existent product" could these be a new skelley unit? Shroud skelleys or something...  "He is a Knight of Shrouds"  They're not hex wreaths (no horses) .... Just an observation.  ;)

Screenshot_20180104-162355.png

2 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Yeah but I was thinking about keywords etc. It's a mess right now. Deathrattle, Soulblight, Nighthaunt, Deathmage and Deadwalker. Might aswell be one army.

Sure but its likely all sub-factions will be able to use each other as allies so if you don't get too much stuff you ca still use it - and there is always the option of GA Death. You should be safe enough to buy a couple of units is all I'm saying. 

11 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Off topic from the rants but with the whole "GWs doesn't do art for non-existent product" could these be a new skelley unit? Shroud skelleys or something...  "He is a Knight of Shrouds"  They're not hex wreaths (no horses) .... Just an observation.  ;)

Screenshot_20180104-162355.png

Looks like Cairn wraiths to me :)

I think the countdown was a little silly, but I think it's also heralding something that we as a  community have been crying out for: more information on the setting. Similarly, it might be a move towards shutting down some of the 'where are the farmers' arguments that seem to have been getting louder a recently.

I also agree  with others that have said that we shouldn't have expected a brand new range so hot on the heals of them announcing Nurgle and, not to throw further cold water on the situation, but I don't think we'll see another new faction released before June / July.

Reason I think this is because they've all but announced that what the Malign Portents are portending will be fully revealed in 6 months time, at the end of the worldwide muster. I might be wrong of course, in fact it's probably quite likely, but I think we're in line for some serious build-up and fleshing out of the setting and narrative before we see new Death.

18 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I think the countdown was a little silly, but I think it's also heralding something that we as a  community have been crying out for: more information on the setting. Similarly, it might be a move towards shutting down some of the 'where are the farmers' arguments that seem to have been getting louder a recently.

I also agree  with others that have said that we shouldn't have expected a brand new range so hot on the heals of them announcing Nurgle and, not to throw further cold water on the situation, but I don't think we'll see another new faction released before June / July.

Reason I think this is because they've all but announced that what the Malign Portents are portending will be fully revealed in 6 months time, at the end of the worldwide muster. I might be wrong of course, in fact it's probably quite likely, but I think we're in line for some serious build-up and fleshing out of the setting and narrative before we see new Death.

Where did they say the six months until Malign Portent reveal?

Archived