Malign Portents

Will Myers

GW needs to sell small, branded boxes of tissues for some folks haha

I mean, I know people are entitled to their feelings and hopes and dreams but surely most of you are grown folks who've been around the block a few times.

It was a fun bit of marketing and some interesting content so far for my money (which right now is 0 money, that's right this was allll free!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, I'm used to the responce. It's what killed all the fun of WFB. 

At the same time, there was a dude on Dakkadakka giving info on the Codex Chaos Daemons thats up for this month's release and offcourse the eventual reactions where lamentations. What makes TGA a little better as some other forums is that most folks have common sence here. 

So far MP gave us a book, start of the campaign, 4 heralds that will follow and confirmation that more news will be in February after the Nurgle releases. Because Nurgle's initial release was set for November/December to begin with (after Death Guard). Unfortunatly it has all been shifted in some way.

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

Feb will likely announce this new Battletome for Death with additional units. Keep in mind that a lot of the WFB Death units still look good so the expansion might not be as big as some hope for either ;) .

There are two issues with Death currently and I think these will be solved:
1. Death's Keywords are a mess, too many sub-factions have lead to no larger Allegaince being really relevant.
2. As a byproduct of 1 Matched play Death is close to impossible to push hard into Matched play. Additional spells are lacking, Hero models are lacking etc.
This can only be covered in a Battletome.

Yeah I have been looking a the death range a fair bit lately (like most people) and I don't think its actually in too bad shape. What they definitely need is some more cohesive rules and keywords to tie it all together - and re-writes of the more janky spells like Hand of Dust. 

Model wise its only the zombies, bloodknights & Vargulfs that stand out in need of updating but there is a lot of scope for expanding nighthaunt - ethereal creatures could literally look like anything they wanted

I am a little disappointed that it was basically "Cool things are coming, stay tuned" after all of that hype, but it certainly sounds promising.  People seem upset that it was a lot of hype that didn't give anything of any real substance, just more trickles of information.

While I'm happy that AoS is getting some love, I must say that the whole countdown for a narrative book and repeating already revealed content (wardens) was quite a letdown. I personally was expecting something along the lines of a massive release wave for Death, or even some announcements of battletomes for Death, Destruction, Chaos, etc. This release also seems to have absolutely no bearing on the competitive community. Ah well, guess we'll only see Nurgle for a while :P.

Just now, Twitch of Izalith said:

Yeah I have been looking a the death range a fair bit lately (like most people) and I don't think its actually in too bad shape. What they definitely need is some more cohesive rules and keywords to tie it all together - and re-writes of the more janky spells like Hand of Dust. 

Model wise its only the zombies, bloodknights & Vargulfs that stand out in need of updating but there is a lot of scope for expanding nighthaunt - ethereal creatures could literally look like anything they wanted

Absolutely, Nurgle needed it as much too. Got it eventually. Death's factions are also not the only factions who want more or new Allegiance abilities. In fact they have gotten some in GH2017 and what I was upset about is that GH2017 wasn't met with more logical Warscroll Keyword changes. In reality many rules can remain the same, as long as the Keywords start to make sence.

I think that Zombies will not be redesigned soon. Fully knowing that that particular unit is probably more than 20 years old now. As to why, I don't really know. I think GW is still very content with their Skeletons and wants to push this more (also see videos not containing a single Zombie). 
Bloodknights and Vargulfs are fine models in my opinion but indeed are finecast. I wouldn't hold my breath on them being redone soon either. What I believe will occur is the visualisation of a new unit. A mix of Deathrattle and Nighthaunt in "Deathcast" warriors. Grabbing souls, kicking ass.

Narrative is where GW draws their design inspiration from, it's because of this that I expect "more traitors", "more Undead" and "more soul stealing warriors". This is much less in line with anything vampiresque. What would be the most logical effect is to create a unit of mini-Nagash. Elite 3-wound/Mortal wound output guys who likely regain wounds by killing models. 

Lastly I expect the Batteltome to have a Blood Tithe like table too which will revolve around gathering of souls for summonning new undead units or re-filling the unit size.

24 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

:D i'm so glad nothing happened - I know its slightly twisted but I find it really funny watching people lose their rag about GW stuff... It reminds of one Halloween when I told my 6 year old niece that she couldn't go to a halloween party dressed as a princess - and she threw a tantrum worthy of a princess.

This stuff all looks great to me - and the content in the build up was all pretty cool in its own right.

Not if you don't care about the lore it wasn't. And I think this is the part of why I'm as disappointed as I am. Rules content coming in non-GHB supplements have been universally terrible for competitive play in both 40k and AoS ; it pretty much always creates massive unforseen issues (firestorm for AoS being blanket banned and Angels of Death for 40k resulting in several psychic powers being permabanned are great examples of this). 

New narrative book=Good but not for me; New Narrative book with rules that might carry over into match=no bueno.

I mean, I still hope there is a Death battletome; it would make sense with this campaign being about Death, and Death being the weakest grand alliance in the game.  It's just.. a bit of a letdown that we still don't actually KNOW anything concrete.  The lore is cool, but I'd wager most people care about the game more than the lore.

28 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

It reminds of one Halloween when I told my 6 year old niece that she couldn't go to a halloween party dressed as a princess - and she threw a tantrum worthy of a princess.

Just imagine the same scenario but with someone dressed as a member of one of the factions - Ogor, Freeguild general, Nagash, etc - and the mental image intensifies!

/Edit - though I have to emphasise, HERE (TGA) it seems like most people are pretty reasonable in why they're a bit let down. No AoS launch meltdowns. Still, I checked reddit (never a good idea for feeling hope for humanity) and had a chuckle.

2 minutes ago, Turragor said:

/Edit - though I have to emphasise, HERE (TGA) it seems like most people are pretty reasonable in why they're a bit let down. No AoS launch meltdowns. Still, I checked reddit (never a good idea for feeling hope for humanity) and had a chuckle.

Agreed - TGA is almost unique (as an internet forum) in that people mostly manage to maintain a reasonable attitude - even when they are unhappy about something. 

1 minute ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Agreed - TGA is almost unique (as an internet forum) in that people mostly manage to maintain a reasonable attitude - even when they are unhappy about something. 

The idea that the end times and AoS launch got rid of the true haters may have had some basis to it after all! And if those were the core of the boards that overarching attitude should prevail until that core is (if it ever is) supplanted.

Anyway,  bit OT!

7 minutes ago, wayniac said:

The lore is cool, but I'd wager most people care about the game more than the lore.

That's interesting. Most people I have talked to agree that the rulesets (i.e the game) is what has let GW products down over the years and its the setting and the miniatures that is what has kept them playing for so long.

4 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I mean, I still hope there is a Death battletome; it would make sense with this campaign being about Death, and Death being the weakest grand alliance in the game.  It's just.. a bit of a letdown that we still don't actually KNOW anything concrete.  The lore is cool, but I'd wager most people care about the game more than the lore.

That's another part that makes me a bit sad; I was digging all the lore stuff. The videos were well written and well produced and they were fun to watch, but in the end there wasn't any payoff. I still don't know what malign portents are, I still don't know what that pyramid thing is all about, I still don't know what the 'great evil' nagash is working on is, I don't even know what Elias's deal is 100% yet and they gave a "NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALLZ...IF YOU PAY US 40$"! And I don't know if I should bother.

I'd be downright shocked if they are not using this campaign for a death battletome sooner or later... so maybe chill a bit.

I really enjoyed the little comics and am rather interested in whats to come. The explanation for the realms was pretty cool.

15 minutes ago, Turragor said:

There's three prevailing types of comment chain there with one type talking about Deathcast (seems sensible with the Knight of Shrouds), one type talking about how the hype was much bigger than what is being delivered (not exactly unfair), and the majority amused at the fact the website temporarily couldn't handle all the hype it had generated (hug of death :D).

Think the Reddit thread looks OK, personally.

7 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

That's interesting. Most people I have talked to agree that the rulesets (i.e the game) is what has let GW products down over the years and its the setting and the miniatures that is what has kept them playing for so long.

Certainly what kept me hooked- the lore and the models. If I want a smooth and balanced game with excellent rules and dynamic play I'll go with Infinity but GW always absorbs the majority of my modelling time and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Cultist High Elves are still dragging me forward.

2 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

It's both, they're totally symbiotic. Models and lore with no rules and GW would be a teeny tiny little company producing pewter stuff still. Rules and no/bad models and lore and they would have shuttered a long time ago.

That said, AoS was on the verge of collapsing the whole company before Matched play came in and  the 40k  community has been heavily competitively focused since at least 4th.

As I watched the behind the scenes vid (great) I noted that one of the chaps said "[the knights of shrouds] they've been authorised by Nagash to offer the living people of the realms a deal - join us or die" and I think that's cool. Will this follow through into models of any kind? Troops fighting to the death so they don't become undead?

Just now, Twitch of Izalith said:

Talking of 40k.. hints in the "behind the scenes" video that you can acually use the portents/omens in game? Maybe there will be some kind of stratagem mechanic introduced?

Likely. I expect Omen cards to be introduced with Malign Portents. 

I don't think they will be as deep as Stratagems or as specific but think they will act as a fun way to turn the tides and switch over options in the game.

Unlike 40K I also think that AoS' prime goal still isn't to create solely systems for Matched play. So maby MP will not be for all. 

8 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

That said, AoS was on the verge of collapsing the whole company before Matched play came in and  the 40k  community has been heavily competitively focused since at least 4th.

Out of genuine interest, do you have a source for that? I remember talking to my local independent store owner prior to the first General's Handbook who said that AoS was already selling really well. Might be a local phenomena, but my understanding was that AoS has always done pretty well.

Archived