Base or model

Penddraig

Question

Having just started playing a few games of AoS, I thought I'd ask a question based on people's opinions.

The rules state that you measure from a point on your model to a point on the opposing model.  The SCGT states you measure from base to base.  Which do people prefer and why?

I will state that in the games that I have played, our group has always measure from the base as we felt it was the fairest option and gave more equality to people.  Also because we are used to measuring from bases on all the other games (GW and not) that we play.

17 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Knight of Ruin said:

Their models are twice the width of a base. Cant really get a group of prosecutors around measuring from their supplied bases. Even the 1" unit coherency is a pain

So turn them sideways? Facing doesn't matter in this game anyway :)

Base to base because it's easier and makes more sense. Measuring MtM is difficult, it's nearly impossible to get a correct measurement if measuring mid-air between two models. Easier to just put the measuring tool on the table next to the base, perfect measurement.

easy will always win. 

I have no no problems if people want to base their models on larger bases and such, just looks nicer and is often better/worse in game depending on the situation. 

On 17/06/2016 at 7:52 AM, Knight of Ruin said:

i find that prosecutors are a bit tricky with base to base. Anybody got any tips for those (and similar models)?

As a side note, one way to deal with this (and other winged models) that I'll be trying when I pick up some more Prosecutors is an attempt at magnetising the wings. Could be a bit tricky and fiddly, so I'll let you know how it goes further down the line! Being able to whip the wings off for ease of measurement etc. when in close combat while still representing the model's rules for the rest of the time it's on the battlefield seems like a decent compromise to me.

On 17/06/2016 at 7:52 AM, Knight of Ruin said:

i find that prosecutors are a bit tricky with base to base. Anybody got any tips for those (and similar models)?

Played my first couple of quick games tonight with the missus (just the first two quick intro battleplans from the starter box) and had an absolute 'mare with the Prosecutors. Up until that point, I'd been strongly in favour of always going base to base to cut out stacking and basically it just seemed simpler overall, but having read this, I think we'll be going with Tommy's suggestions above in future. Obviously something to be discussed with opponents pre-game, but if you're measuring base to base, it makes no sense not to be able to reach an opponent because an actual part of them is blocking your path. You'd just hack away at the wings.

Not that I'll be buying any more Prosecutors anyway, way too fiddly getting those wings on O.o

Have played both, and tbh as long as you decide beforehand it's not an issue.  Would use the SCGT 'cylinders' mode rather than pure bases though, otherwise you get some stupid situations arising with 3d terrain and being unable to get bases within 1/2" on the carge.  Never had an issue with base stacking, we just measure the distance for the charge, and work out how many could make it, them bung them all around the model being charged base. 

I've been thinking of trying out, well, both. Or more correctly, either! O.o

What I mean is, if you're base-to-base with another model the distance between them is zero and that's usually all you need. But if you've surrounded a Magmadroth there'll be a guy round the back who can't get his base within 1" because the tail's in the way. So in that case you get to use model-to-model.

One way to sum it up would be "the distance between two models is the shortest distance between any part of them including their bases", or even just "measure model to model, the base counts as part of the model". With an accompanying "also, no stacking please" house rule.

One thing I like about this relative to pure base-to-base is that it allows models on different heights to just fight - e.g. a dragon eating some guys on a ledge, or two human-size models fighting their way up some steps (go go Dragonfate Dais!). It's kinda cool that model-to-model means all that just works without any extra conditions, and I suspect it's partly why they went that way in the rules in addition to trying to level the playing field for square vs round. Compare that to SCGT where they had to define "volumes" using detailed diagrams just to get the same effect.

Longer post than planned! :)

15 hours ago, Shane said:

I get the modelling aspect but base stacking  eliminates that on the table. 

If I model something on a large base, now it takes up a larger portion of the battlefield.  It's easier to draw range to, and can control a larger area.  Base stacking does nothing at all to solve this.

Measuring base to base is the simplest method. And therefore the best. 

Measuring from model points is clumsy and a "legacy" rule they should get rid of. I get the modelling aspect but base stacking  eliminates that on the table. 

I'd honestly prefer measuring model-to-model.  Ostensibly, because that's how the rules are written.  Really, though, it's because I'm taking advantage of this quirk of AoS' core ruleset to design larger and more detailed bases than I usually would.

In 40K you run into all kinds of trouble if you change base size - either you hamstring yourself with the game mechanics, or someone starts complaining that you're modeling for advantage.  I hate that phrase.  With AoS, I'm finally free to tinker with scenic, immersive bases without the hassle.

I think you will find the answers on this forum are going to be measure base to base as the normal, i certainly do with the club I am in. But saying that there is probably 10 times more people who do not know of independent comp packs or independent forums and will play in GW stores only and use AoS rules as written that will play with bases not counting for measuring. 

I think as Baldo says it is completely down to preference. If you have just started playing AoS without any other warhammer 'experience' (i.e. 7th, 8th editions) then you may find it easy to play model to model. Personally I can't get my head around it as always played measuring base to base. 

Base to base eliminates stacking of bases (annoying if you spend as much time as I do on bases), it also eliminates difficulty in measuring the swing of a weapon if the model changes direction. 

Archived