What to purchase next?

RuneBrush

This weekend was a good one for me, not only did I get my Armies on Parade entry in on Saturday, it also meant that I finished off the four Imperial Knights I've been working on for months (three of which I started two years ago).  This means for the first time in ages I actually have a clear hobby desk (and dining table).  This is great as it means that I can seriously start to crack into some other projects (as well as put my paints away and give things a clean)!

I'm quite fancy picking something up to keep my Megaboss on foot company.  I've really enjoyed painting him (just his jaw and base to finish) and certainly need something entertaining in comparison to the red gloss and gold of my Knights.  I know the Warband and Start Collecting boxes are good value, but equally I also know I'd like a cabbage at some point.  I'm up to WHW this coming weekend so a Troggoth Hag or Idol of Gork (or other FW monster) isn't off the list either.  That's before I even think about Shadespire ;)  I'm not worried about it having to be battleline or anything like that, the "army" will be built up over a number of months so plenty of time to worry about the matched play element.

Thoughts?

Well the Troggoth Hag is a very fun model to paint it seems, it's definitely on my wishlist. And reading about it, it isn't bad on the table either*. 

From the destruction line, I loved the maneaters the most from all units i've painted. They are fun, destinctive and not at all repetitive to paint. The downside is price but that's of course very personal. 

Also have been eying the IJ start collecting box for a while but other projects have priority for now. But the thing somebody else might chime in on is the enjoyability of painting the hard boys? I've seen a couple of horror stories about them...

*i'm not an IJ player though so take this all with a grain of salt. 

Hey @RuneBrush,

After seeing your superb Megaboss I'm really glad you're considering giving him some friends! My suggestions would be;

1. Shadespire: Ironskull's Boyz - Gives you a small number of fantastic, characterful models to paint and really go to town on. Also the dual purpose nature of the box (Shadespire and AoS) makes it good value imo.
  2. Megaboss on Maw-krusha - A strange suggestion when you don't have any battleline etc, but you've said you're not fussed about that for now. My only concern would be that after paint this badboy it may seem like a comedown to paint Brutes etc (it shouldn't, they're fantastic, but I get it could). I think seeing this piece as a reward from getting some units done is the standard process, might not fit your requirements though.
  3. Weirdnob Warband - I was going to just say a simple box of Brutes, but at that point you may as well pick up this box. The Brutes remain my favourite GW kit after assembling and painting 7 boxes of them. An utter joy.

Let us know what you go for!

Chris

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Well the Troggoth Hag is a very fun model to paint it seems, it's definitely on my wishlist. And reading about it, it isn't bad on the table either*. 

From the destruction line, I loved the maneaters the most from all units i've painted. They are fun, destinctive and not at all repetitive to paint. The downside is price but that's of course very personal. 

I do have a few of the metal maneaters (ninja, lady and another I think).  Part of me does fancy doing them, but the thought of stripping them and then tidying them up properly doesn't appeal currently :D  Hag is tempting to pick up - but then again so is the Idol!

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I'd say to grab a Shaman and Brutes, so you might as well consider the Warband box.  Next I would consider the Start Collecting.  An inexpensive force with a bit of everything.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey @RuneBrush,

After seeing your superb Megaboss I'm really glad you're considering giving him some friends! My suggestions would be;

1. Shadespire: Ironskull's Boyz - Gives you a small number of fantastic, characterful models to paint and really go to town on. Also the dual purpose nature of the box (Shadespire and AoS) makes it good value imo.
  2. Megaboss on Maw-krusha - A strange suggestion when you don't have any battleline etc, but you've said you're not fussed about that for now. My only concern would be that after paint this badboy it may seem like a comedown to paint Brutes etc (it shouldn't, they're fantastic, but I get it could). I think seeing this piece as a reward from getting some units done is the standard process, might not fit your requirements though.
  3. Weirdnob Warband - I was going to just say a simple box of Brutes, but at that point you may as well pick up this box. The Brutes remain my favourite GW kit after assembling and painting 7 boxes of them. An utter joy.

Let us know what you go for!

Chris

Cheers!  From your comment and Gorbolg, I'm thinking the Weirdnob Warband might be the best punt.  Would give me something table worthy too if I fancied it.  Completely get what you're saying about the Maw-krusha, sometimes a model like that (which looks great fun to paint) needs to be one of the last models to paint.

I am considering picking up some Thunderwolves and seeing if I can use the Goregrunta rider...

12 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Cheers!  From your comment and Gorbolg, I'm thinking the Weirdnob Warband might be the best punt.  Would give me something table worthy too if I fancied it.  Completely get what you're saying about the Maw-krusha, sometimes a model like that (which looks great fun to paint) needs to be one of the last models to paint.

I am considering picking up some Thunderwolves and seeing if I can use the Goregrunta rider...

Sounds like a sensible choice man. Whilst having a matched play legal army may not be your primary concern, it's still a nice bonus right? Also you'll be getting some fantastic models to paint. Would love to see your take on the Weirdnob Shaman. I always enjoying seeing good painters tackle that smoke!

Word of warning re the Thunder-gruntas; the Brutes legs are annoyingly fixed to their mounts, which makes conversions a bit a pain (though not impossible).

12 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Sounds like a sensible choice man. Whilst having a matched play legal army may not be your primary concern, it's still a nice bonus right? Also you'll be getting some fantastic models to paint. Would love to see your take on the Weirdnob Shaman. I always enjoying seeing good painters tackle that smoke!

Cool and thanks for the vote of confidence!  That box is appealing more and more now - loads of opportunity on that weirdnob!  The brutes do look amazing models.

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Word of warning re the Thunder-gruntas; the Brutes legs are annoyingly fixed to their mounts, which makes conversions a bit a pain (though not impossible).

Well buttocks!  Thought it was only Skullcrushers that had that silly molded leg thing going on.  May have to re-think that one!

60 Gitmob Grots with bows... you know you're goin' to need them so get the pain out of the way early...

... but in all seriousness I echo the warband box set. The brutes are gorgeous models and great fun to paint even for a rubbish painter like me. All the good painters make them look wonderful. It also gives you a few Ardboyz to see if you like painting the models. I like them but they are a little marmite and may not be the best unit in the list. Will be great to see the army grow and follow in the footsteps of Gork (or Mork)

13 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

60 Gitmob Grots with bows... you know you're goin' to need them so get the pain out of the way early...

... but in all seriousness I echo the warband box set. The brutes are gorgeous models and great fun to paint even for a rubbish painter like me. All the good painters make them look wonderful. It also gives you a few Ardboyz to see if you like painting the models. I like them but they are a little marmite and may not be the best unit in the list. Will be great to see the army grow and follow in the footsteps of Gork (or Mork)

Part of me does want to pick up some Grots, but another part of me wants to curl up in a corner rocking and mumbling inanely at the prospect of painting them all :D

Might have to make a massive foot-shaped crater now ;)  We still need to have a game by the way!

On the point of 60 gitmob.

I personally wanted my grots to look like a bit of a rabble that was following my IJ around. 

As a result I went for 40 gitmob and 20 gnoblars to make up my unit of 60.

It makes the unit less uniform and means that I have more variety in what I'm painting. Personally I'm very happy with the choice and was allowed at blood and glory to use then as such.

I definitely recommend doing that over a pure 60.

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

As a result I went for 40 gitmob and 20 gnoblars to make up my unit of 60.

Nice idea. Hadn't thought of that (I already have 40 Ogor Grots painted) Not sure GW would be happy in their events but would imagine most independant events following the B&G lead.

1 hour ago, Skeekrit said:

Nice idea. Hadn't thought of that (I already have 40 Ogor Grots painted) Not sure GW would be happy in their events but would imagine most independant events following the B&G lead.

I just made sure that every gitmob grots was carrying a bow, I'll pop some pictures on when I finish the gitmob. Atm I have 10/10.

I'd msg the tournament organiser but I think they will allow it because

1) the majority of the unit is gitmob

2) they are all gw models

3) there is no question about whether they are gitmob or Moonclan. I wouldn't try using them as Moonclan. 

4) it's a stylistic choice for the unit and army feel. For a gitmob army you wouldn't get away with it.

So this is a picture of my 10 gitmob and 10 gnoblars done. It has the more hoardish look that I was going for. Personally I think the gnoblars and gitmob go together fantastically so if you don't fancy doing 60 see if you can make the gitmob look as though they and the gnoblars are the same.

20171107_213020.jpg

It's OK, I was up at WHW all weekend and didn't get tempted by anything at all!

No, wait - the other thing...

20171112_172220_resized.jpg.baad23829bbece5c47e4f2107d0faa4e.jpg

Current "vague" plan is to pickup the Warband box between now and Christmas and try and at least get them and this glued together over my holiday.  I've got a bucket load of tidying, sorting and eBaying to do and Necromunda is going to pop it's head up too which may need to get some attention.

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

It's OK, I was up at WHW all weekend and didn't get tempted by anything at all!

No, wait - the other thing...

20171112_172220_resized.jpg.baad23829bbece5c47e4f2107d0faa4e.jpg

Current "vague" plan is to pickup the Warband box between now and Christmas and try and at least get them and this glued together over my holiday.  I've got a bucket load of tidying, sorting and eBaying to do and Necromunda is going to pop it's head up too which may need to get some attention.

Dude, enjoy painting it!

Im looking to grab something fun to paint for xmas but don't wana get my cabbage yet. Rogue idol was near the top!

12 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I have nothing to buy for the foreseeable future, just need to paint the rest of the army! 

I am tempted by Necromunda though as a second game to play, and because it doesn't require too many models (about 8?)

Necromunda was the first game that I played what I would term "seriously", there was a handful of us who ran campaigns (longest one was 5 years) so I'm very excited to see it being re-released.  If you're not running a campaign I think 8~10 models is about right :)

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Necromunda was the first game that I played what I would term "seriously", there was a handful of us who ran campaigns (longest one was 5 years) so I'm very excited to see it being re-released.  If you're not running a campaign I think 8~10 models is about right :)

Glad to hear it. I did consider shadespire but necromunda was just too fun in the 90s, and I only have time for one other low model count game. I'll wait and see which gangs get released. 

On 11/7/2017 at 1:04 AM, Kramer said:

Does anyone have any tips for painting her furry patches?  So far I've sprayed her Death Guard Green, and I'm not sure what colour to do them.  The studio painted one on the FW site has a very deep turquoise but that doesn't quite grab me.  Maybe a matt purple based on Daemonette Hide?

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Does anyone have any tips for painting her furry patches?  So far I've sprayed her Death Guard Green, and I'm not sure what colour to do them.  The studio painted one on the FW site has a very deep turquoise but that doesn't quite grab me.  Maybe a matt purple based on Daemonette Hide?

Should work, as I already thought they were scales and not fur, hahaha. 

I started using Daemonette hide a couple of months ago and its a very 'flat' colour. So that should work as the bases for a matt purple as long as make sure to get some highlights in there to liven it up. 

Archived