Favourite terrain piece

Malburr

Hello awsome hobbyists and war gamers! This year I have decided to have a good collection of terrain to battle over during my games of AOS  (and in length for general TTRPG).  Looking over the different terrain models I bought, built from scratch and avaliable at the Web it made me wonder what is the merits of a good terrain piece.  My view on that is how cool it looks and how the armies can interact with it (either trough rules or physical means like standing in/on it).

So to conclude my topic I ask you fellows here on Tga; which is your favourite terrain pieces and why? 

P.s. photos on said terrain would be appreciated for inspiration!

42 minutes ago, chord said:

The Citadel Mighty Fortress (alas no longer made by GW)  Modular so that's nice. 

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for citadel mighty fortress

Speaking of large castles, Renedra makes  a similar product: http://www.renedra.co.uk/index.php

I myself have also been hoping to make some custom scenery for my games.  My plan has been to, at some point in the coming months, begin using Hirst Arts molds to cast and build my own scenery pieces as time and budget allows:  http://www.hirstarts.com/

Yeah, I think it's a true shame that GW discontinued a bunch of the older Fantasy terrain. Don't mind so much the more grounded work like the Watch tower and Chapel being discontinued, but stuff like Dreadstone Blight, Witchfate Tor, and others fit in super well to the AoS aesthetics. At least we've got back the Balewind Vortex and half of the Magewrath Throne.

Personally I really like Dreadstone Blight as well. Possibly because it'd fit right into a Mordheim game, but it's just a cool little piece that's pretty easy to paint up.

Skullvane Manse would be my pick, sadly didn't have the money at the time, but would say that it's probably one of the most iconic scenery pieces created by GW (if you're reading this, please bring it back!)

skullvanemanse2.jpg

Second up would be the Fortified Manor, one of the first GW scenery bundles really.  Provided a real centrepiece to a battlefield, and brilliant as scatter terrain if you didn't glue it all on a base (or left it removable).

citadel-warhammer-fortified-manor_1_658b

I dont have pics at hand yet as we agreed on building „the most awesome“ table this winter :D

But for out gaming group the best terrain (for aos now) is terrain you can actually walk on as opposed to the fantasy terrain you were avoiding most of the time. One of the things I love most about aos is true line of sight (under the assumption that you are playing with lots of cover) as this allows for truly thematic tables and I think this really adds a lot of depth and immersion to the game. 

Im 3D printing a fortress at the moment, somewhat similar to the old GW fortress and will add ruined buildings, scatter terrain as piles of crates, fountains, etc, some graves, a small wood and stuff like this for our shard of the old world that is now taken over by ghosts and magical energies four our troops to fight over.

once all terrain is finished I want to create a tree campaign about securing the magical nexus (or whatever :D) and palyers will start with even battles in plains around the ruined city, the loser will be pushed back with minor forces into easier defendable settings, etc.

So in conclusion, The best terrain in my opinion is not a single piece but a table that tells a story by itself, on which your armies add with their own stories.

17 hours ago, Myzyrael said:

Im 3D printing a fortress at the moment, somewhat similar to the old GW fortress and will add ruined buildings, scatter terrain as piles of crates, fountains, etc, some graves, a small wood and stuff like this for our shard of the old world that is now taken over by ghosts and magical energies four our troops to fight over.

once all terrain is finished I want to create a tree campaign about securing the magical nexus (or whatever :D) and palyers will start with even battles in plains around the ruined city, the loser will be pushed back with minor forces into easier defendable settings, etc.

So in conclusion, The best terrain in my opinion is not a single piece but a table that tells a story by itself, on which your armies add with their own stories.

As someone who is interested in 3d printing (And definitely, one of the primary reasons interested is to 3d print terrain), care to shed some light on the process?

Some questions I have on the process:

How much time would it actually take to print like, a castle wall? Or a castle tower?

How much would it cost in terms of filament to print one of those things? Excluding the cost for purchasing the 3d printing files (Which in some ways, is definitely a cost also, but is something you can potentially do yourself).

Not that I have the room to buy a 3d printer for myself at the moment. But I know of at least one aquaintance who has one, and there's a community that you can kinda go in and do 3d printing which I've considered looking into. So kinda curious about some of the stuff in relation to 3d printing and what you can with it hobby wise.

Edit: Actually, saw that those kinda details are in your blog. Seems like it takes quite a while to print off some of these pieces :(

12 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Some questions I have on the process:

How much time would it actually take to print like, a castle wall? Or a castle tower?

How much would it cost in terms of filament to print one of those things? Excluding the cost for purchasing the 3d printing files (Which in some ways, is definitely a cost also, but is something you can potentially do yourself).

Not that I have the room to buy a 3d printer for myself at the moment. But I know of at least one aquaintance who has one, and there's a community that you can kinda go in and do 3d printing which I've considered looking into. So kinda curious about some of the stuff in relation to 3d printing and what you can with it hobby wise.

To be more specific, one piece of wall takes 2x 6-7h to print (bottom and top) and costs about 2,5-3€. Not quite cheap but still much more affordable than buying the GW khorne fortress thingy :D 

Depending on the setup of your acquaintance (i.e. does he mind printing over night or while at work) and how much stuff is in his pipeline, it might be possible that you use his printer. The whole thing about 3D printing is the nice community and you will find many sites offering models for free, incorporating the sharing idea deeply into the community. A lot of my friends have already asked for print jobs and I will fit them into my pipeline wherever possible as In my opinion this kind of technology is a chance for us as a society to work together better.

On printablescenery.com and also in thingiverse.com you can also order models already printed, but I haven’t checked the prices. Maybe this is also an alternative. Here in Germany, you can order 3D printed models from some hardware stores, which - considering the upfront investment of buying the printer - might be a good alternative.

Sorry for the off topic talk ;-) 

To add my tought to the ongoing discussion, I wish to praise the ruins of osilgiath pieces for thier adaptibility to function with other sets. I take great satisfaction in how my set blends in with the newer nimbus occulum.

Lastly thank you all community members for your contributions to this topic. Its inspiring to read your opinions. Please keep it coming!

20171104_092108.jpg

Archived