Army Paint Schemes for rules

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Trout said:

It’s a sensible change but now they have accidentally disinsentived painting things in according to lore. It’s in your best interest to go with a custom schem now. This is a welcomed development as far as I’m concerned but probably not what they intended. Their painting suggestions are now “do not paint this way” lists instead.

Nah, I started painting my Tempest Lords blue before i saw the rules and have no reason to change.  No SC battalion i can run (afford to buy with money!) that id be stopped by and no reason to run them as Order GA.  People with Ziflin Kharadron might be a bit more miffed if their rules get messed with in the future, but as has been said many times in this thread, how often will it actually matter?

Seems the firestorm allegiances were indeed meant as a buff to grand alliance armies in competitive play. So I'm pleased as a destruction mob army guy :D 

(Just need to clarify if i can sneak 3 trolls into a gutstomper allegiance as allies) 

"Most of you had some great points (maybe there *is* something a little frustrating about a Vanguard Wing instantly surrounding one’s army before crushing them on a 5+) which has helped the Studio make two tweaks to the Great Cities allegiance abilities and ensure they work as originally intended and are better balanced for competitive play"

Did this really change by making the army order allegiance instead of stormcast? Not that I think it will be a problem in practice. So good work GW.

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Hot off the Press - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/06/firestorm-matched-play-rules-update/

Hopefully this should end this debate!!!

It's like a big grey cloud has parted, and rays of sunshine are coming in to warm the hobby and encouraging aspiring painters to grow.  I now have a warm fuzzy feeling inside :)

1 minute ago, Andreas said:

"Most of you had some great points (maybe there *is* something a little frustrating about a Vanguard Wing instantly surrounding one’s army before crushing them on a 5+) which has helped the Studio make two tweaks to the Great Cities allegiance abilities and ensure they work as originally intended and are better balanced for competitive play"

Did this really change by making the army order allegiance instead of stormcast? Not that I think it will be a problem in practice. So good work GW.

Vangaurd wing is a battalion so can still be taken in an Order GA, unless i missed a QA that said you cant?   If not thats a spectacularly bad example from them xD

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

That is completely untrue and I feel it is important to combat the idea whenever I see it casually tossed out as truth.

The whole point is to have fun. Just because you have different ideas about what makes something fun doesn't mean the other guy doesn't care about fun.

It would actually be mental to play a game in your spare time without fun being Goal #1.

Quoted for Truth!  Not everyone is the same, and not everyone wants to have fun the same way.  Being respectful of others and their interests is beneficial to everyone!

50 minutes ago, Galas said:

And people arguee that GW doesn't listen to their customers... good job GW. B|

I know, right?

The only change is that you won’t be able to stack the allegiance abilities from Firestorm with any others apart from the Grand Allegiance abilities. For instance, a force of Dispossessed could either choose the Dispossessed allegiance abilities from the General’s Handbook 2017 OR the Order allegiance abilities and the Hammerhal allegiance abilities. They could not take the Dispossessed and Hammerhal allegiance abilities together.

This probably is the easiest way to handle it, and doesn't seem too overpowered, and keeps things interesting, giving the Order armies effectively three for Allegiance Abilities to try out and have fun with their games.

Now for GW to give some more abilities to Chaos, Death, and Destruction, then things will be evened out.

The only restriction on painting is that an army that has been specifically painted to represent one Great City cannot use the rules of another – so a force wearing the colours of Hallowheart, for instance, couldn’t use the rules of Anvilgard, and vice versa.

Wait, what?  Two steps forward, and one step back.  We were so close to the ultimate painting freedom event horizon, but we got stopped just shy of it.  Spoot.  Oh well.  At least we got something instead of nothing.

7 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

The only restriction on painting is that an army that has been specifically painted to represent one Great City cannot use the rules of another – so a force wearing the colours of Hallowheart, for instance, couldn’t use the rules of Anvilgard, and vice versa.

So ...

Does this ruling impact Warscroll Battalions that are named force specific?

e.g. The Sylvaneth Oakenbrow Warglade, or the Stormcast Eternals Warrior Chamber warscrolls

(If you paint your own force colors you get all the rules, paint in a specific force color ... only get to use some of the rules?)

2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So ...

e.g. The Sylvaneth Oakenbrow Warglade, or the Stormcast Eternals Warrior Chamber warscrolls

(If you paint your own force colors you get all the rules, paint in a specific force color ... only get to use some of the rules?)

I suppose so.  While it's a move in the right direction, it is kind of a bump against pure Narrative players.

4 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So ...

It only would effect if you matched the scheme perfectly, and even then small changes could make enough different. But they are not enforcing it, so it's up too the TO or club/opponent.

This change is perfect for me. It doesn't stifle creativity, changes some of the issues rules wise I had with OP stacking. I like they have mentioned the whole 'don't paint it exactly a way to get a bonus, only to switch to another' thing. Narrative gamers aren't punished, because if you have absolutely painted your models for a certain established household, chamber or skyport you'll not want to switch. 

Not buying it. Painting has 0 place in actually determining an armies rules. GW can say whatever they want, it doesn't make it any less stupid and frankly unenforcible across at least most NA competitive events.

Archived