Ironjawz Bosses Question (have people been playing it wrong???)

gnaleinad

Ironjawz Bosses Question (have people been playing it wrong???)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Boss of a Ardboyz unit or a Gore-Gruntas unit affect all the models in the unit or only the boss model? (read first post before voting)

• No way, only the Boss gets the bonus!! Why would GW ever create a new rule just for Ironjawz?? All other warscroll writes that the Leader gets the bonus, not the unit!! So ignore what is written, apply the same logic for Ironjawz Boss!!
    • Yes, the whole damn unit get the bonus!!! Each warscroll description always indicate which model is getting what bonus. In this case it is the whole unit. Damn, this is cheating! Why is Ironjawz so awesome??
    • I don't care. I just came in to see people argue with each other. WAAAGH! ORRUK SMASH! CHOMP! KILL!

44 minutes ago, Malakree said:

This makes perfect sense in English. It clearly says that the leader specifically gets the buff not the unit.

In this case They/Their is singular refering to the bosses.

Sir, "They" or "Their" have never been use for what must only be a single model.
I present all other warscrolls for reference, and as you will see.. None of the warscroll uses "they or their". Always specific model. 
Please read the first post for my point.

59d12ddaf1aa0_HearthguardBerzerkers.png.378f1a46546f696ba4537f40cbf3b882.png59d12dd80ce47_BloodWarriors.png.be18c9aa0fddf37872aed7132cc83fa6.png59d12dd56c8f8_SavageOrruks.png.efacde4580d05736d19f2d92f36c774b.png59d12dd326ec5_PinkHorrors.png.b0f30d54547e1ebb4228594147fda601.pngTzaangors.png.26ae898e0047bb1d39148cf3fa9f3f1c.png59d12dcedf079_KairicAcolytes.png.a40f5704492e8e961fc7ed3368243ef7.png59d12dccac70c_CryptGhouls.png.97ffd788e3062401d47460b81aeed151.png59d12dc9a9c38_SkeletonWarriors.png.ed4606623eba6d1b2ef78c255f8f3f03.png59d12dc6cee2a_GraveGuard.png.5f70782993c7c6b03dbaa98ce2d60759.pngTree-Revenants.png.c87d4a5c4480bbdac5151e03127fd6d8.pngProtectors.png.8e47fa43c206b4ce95523c0bca1ed369.png

The way it reads has the second sentence referring to the subject of the previous sentence, the Ardboy Boss, under the heading "Ardboy Boss". Models that buff their whole unit do so very blatantly. What you've found is a minor inconsistency of grammar that has no real impact on the game.

df.png.15ed3da39dc5e1df54524473f2895e9b.png

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

This makes perfect sense in English. It clearly says that the leader specifically gets the buff not the unit.

In this case They/Their is singular refering to the bosses.

Agreed. They and their can be used to refer to a singular subject in the English language, and the preceding sentence indicates that the subject is the boss.

Indeed the English language uses singular they/theirBut it typically occurs in sentences with indeterminate gender.
Example:
"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"
"
The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."

Could this inconsistency be intentional? 

Well wouldn't it be fun if it is really like how I am presenting it?
That a unit of Ardboyz gain +1 to their hit rolls when they have a boss?
That a unit of Gruntas makes 4 attacks each when they have a boss?
Interesting wouldn't it be?

21 minutes ago, gnaleinad said:

But it typically occurs in sentences with indeterminate gender.

Not exclusively.

22 minutes ago, gnaleinad said:

Well wouldn't it be fun if it is really like how I am presenting it?

Having a arbitrary Frenzy of Violence buff on Ardboyz that stacks with  Frenzy of Violence. Fun for us maybe.  

One thing Jervis Johnson said during a Twitch interview is that they're trying to be more consistent in wording on warscrolls.  The Ironjawz warscrolls got written a long time before they tried to tighten up so although it is grammatically correct it is possible to not read it in the way it was written.

For any rule or ability you need to read the whole paragraph as a block rather than a sentence at a time.  A few people have very eloquently explained the various ways of applying their and they.  Regardless I don't know how anybody could read to apply +1 attack for the entire unit when the very bold heading is "Gore Grunta Boss"

Yeah, it is perfectly alright in the English language to use they/their for gender-neutral singular. 

@gnaleinad, you even gave a big list of examples as to why it would be just the Bosses of the units that get those particular.  The precedent has been set that the unit "leader" characters will get extra bonuses to set them apart from the rest of the unit.  Plus, any other time that it is a buff give to the unit by a model, like a banner or musicion, then it would be written "while the model is alive, the the unit gets bonus X".

4 hours ago, Nico said:

"They" is often used in place of "it" as "it" sounds awkward when describing a person.

*insert picture/reference of the "It" clown from the Stephen King story and "Cousin It" from the Addams Family*

Archived