The Sainted Court of King Gargantula - FEC

It's taken me 2 years but I've finally settled on an army for AoS that I love in its entirety - the background, converting and painting (with apologies to the Khorne and Nurgle stuff I own that I've now accepted will never be painted). Honestly, I could convert and paint Flesh-eaters all day! I have so many ideas for The Sainted Court of King Gargantula that I'll probably never run out of conversion possibilities, and the small 300 point warband I've assembled so far is just the start.

I'm looking forward to adding to this painting log with a motley cast of darkly comic conversions - in fact my plan is for every model in the army to be a conversion. I'll also be posting bits and pieces of background exploring the Court and its characters for those who are interested in such things. Next up I'm going to be working on my entry for the AoS28 monster competition, which will either be King Gargantula himself or a Crypt Haunter from the Knights of Deceasium.

My hope is to really do justice to the Flesh-eater Courts amazing background - these are the kind of models that I wish GW made for this army, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I'm enjoying building and painting them. Oh, and I'll try to get a better camera setup somewhere down the line too.

Flesh-eater-courts-3.jpg

Flesh-eater-courts-1.jpg

Witchsmeller Accusant 12.jpg

Flesh-eater-courts-4.jpg

17 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

Absolutely love these.  Makes me wish I did not have most of my FEC already painted, I would enjoy converting up an army like this.

Thanks! Converting the ghouls takes a lot of time for a basic infantry unit and I still have at least another 20 left to go! After that I'll run out of Bretonnian men-at-arms bodies and I'll need to decide whether to source more on eBay or start using different parts. I've been thinking of using Greatswords as the basis for a unit of King's Guard or Flagellants for a unit of fanatical Nagash worshipers.

5 hours ago, Peegee said:

MIND. BLOWN.

Definitely gonna steal your idea. As a Death comitted player, the only thing restaining me to play FEC was the ugly Ghoul bodies. Now I have a alternative. Amazing work man !

Yeah, some people seem to like them but I've never understood it. They look like cartoonish inhuman monsters to me, like hobgoblins or something, not feral humans. I guess the look made more sense in the Old World, but I don't feel like the model range matches up to the awesome new FEC background they came up with. But mine will I hope! :)

9 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Thanks! Converting the ghouls takes a lot of time for a basic infantry unit and I still have at least another 20 left to go! After that I'll run out of Bretonnian men-at-arms bodies and I'll need to decide whether to source more on eBay or start using different parts. I've been thinking of using Greatswords as the basis for a unit of King's Guard or Flagellants for a unit of fanatical Nagash worshipers.

Gosh darn you.  These pics have me so jazed.  Even though I have dozens of Ghouls painted this has stoked the hobby fire.  Here is my first test model I mocked up today.  The delusion spreads!!!!  

2017-09-22 13.00.25.jpg

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

Gosh darn you.  These pics have me so jazed.  Even though I have dozens of Ghouls painted this has stoked the hobby fire.  Here is my first test model I mocked up today.  The delusion spreads!!!!  

2017-09-22 13.00.25.jpg

Looking good! I wasn't sure that the bowmen bodies would work because they're posed side-on, but that actually works nicely.

21 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Looking good! I wasn't sure that the bowmen bodies would work because they're posed side-on, but that actually works nicely.

Yea I have some bowmen and men-at-arm bodies laying around but I might have to hunt some more up.  Maybe could use these from Fireforge ( the sergeants on foot kit) if the old Brets stuff is too hard to find. 

FS9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on a few more bits and pieces to expand my flesh-eaters. First up, a test model for my 'Deceasium Knights', plus a corpseling horn blower.

2017-09-29_23.58.24.jpg

IMG_20170930_112657466.jpg

IMG_20170930_112704246.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the base that my AoS28 monster will sit on - he's a big fella! I've used a variety of materials including cork (first time and I love it), gravel, sand, green stuff and plastic components.

I'm trying to represent the idea of an ancient palace that's collapsed into a massive subterranean cave and been taken over by flesh-eaters. The base is exactly as I originally pictured it and I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

IMG_20171016_223606869.jpg

It looks amazing! And brutal. only CC I can think of maybe adding a few broken of tiles scattered around the lifted tiled parts. Might tie it a bit more together or it might become to crowded. Don't know yet, but if the model is half as good, you can better start working on that trophy cabinet ;) 

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

It looks amazing! And brutal. only CC I can think of maybe adding a few broken of tiles scattered around the lifted tiled parts. Might tie it a bit more together or it might become to crowded. Don't know yet, but if the model is half as good, you can better start working on that trophy cabinet ;) 

You're absolutely right about the broken tiles. To be honest I'm not quite sure why I didn't do it! The only thing I can think of is that I enjoyed building and painting it so much that I blazed ahead, and by the time I paid any attention to the voice at the back of my mind telling me to add broken tiles the opportunity had sort of passed. That, or I was just being lazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me say that I just created this account for posting a comment on this topic !

This conversions are billiant and awsome ! They underline the pathetic and the ridiculous situation of the FEC ! I love this ! 

This band should be use as illustration in official GWs books !

Can't wait to see more !

Good luck !

Archived