Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2018 at 11:42 PM, ledha said:

Still a WIP, but done at 80%. What do you think of my nightaunts from the realm of Life (cue the green base and more vivid colours)

nightaunt summer.jpg

They look awesome! Nice way of mixing up the colour palette.

There is a new warhammer  community post showing a new hero - the “Craven King”.

The Nighthaunt faction will be led by three named characters. You can see the silhouettes of the other two on either said of him in the image. The right silhouette looks nice and swirly whilst the left is rocking a scythe on a winged mount.

5 minutes ago, Nactigal said:

He doesn't look like a wizard. What do the rest of you think?

Here's what we got from the preview:

"Serving at the side of his master, the Mortarch of Grief, this arch-plotter and schemer is an incredibly astute – if embittered and cruel – commander."

So I'd expect him to be a support character with some sort of command point generating ability and/or a way of sacrificing Nighthaunt Chainrasp to buff up another unit.

32 minutes ago, Nactigal said:

He doesn't look like a wizard. What do the rest of you think?

So the one on the right looks like it includes a spirit that holds a striking resemblance to the one in the preview video holding an hourglass: 

FD8E518B-C641-4C1C-8A5B-17A25ED41CF9.png.017fc54d22bae7c3372d70a72037e58c.png

The silhouette seems to include some thorny vines, which we can see in the above shot as well (complete with a rose). The rose makes me think, just like everyone else, that this may be Isabella. 

4 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

So the one on the right looks like it includes a spirit that holds a striking resemblance to the one in the preview video holding an hourglass: 

The silhouette seems to include some thorny vines, which we can see in the above shot as well (complete with a rose). The rose makes me think, just like everyone else, that this may be Isabella. 

Maybe as some fort of banshee queen?

2 minutes ago, Nactigal said:

I thought the mounted Knight of Shrouds was cool, but they keep showing models that are blowing me away even more.

I'm definitely going to need to figure out how to do those blends they do from ghost whisp to more solid. Also need to find a really good basing technique...

1 minute ago, Lemondish said:

I'm definitely going to need to figure out how to do those blends they do from ghost whisp to more solid. Also need to find a really good basing technique...

I really want to start basing my nighthaunt with roses, thorns, and graves. I can find graves, but the roses seem more difficult to find. Does anyone know where I could find some roses and thorns for basing?

1 hour ago, Lemondish said:

I will also note that this banshee type ghost looks exactly like the sickle armed ones.  IMO those sickle banshees are part of the mortarch's modeled retinue.  Furthermore, behind the hourglass banshee is long whisps of ghost amid the branches, looks like the ends of a long dress.  Would make sense if this is a character in a long flowing gown, perhaps even a wedding gown, with her maids all around her.  I know it is cliche but the roses and thorns are also very archtypical motifs that basically confirms a female mortarch.

Secondly, the posing of the horse and rider in the left side profile is a match to the mounted knight of shrouds.  Likely the mounted knight of shrouds is a dual kit with this named character.  While they don't always dual kit, they do it a lot more than they don't.

Throne riding guy is cool, but I worry about how much model is suspended by that single whisp of spirit stuff.

Re: wisps of smoke, I think I'm just going to use a little bit of creative basing to help out some of our more fragile ghosties. I think that the Sigmarite Mausoleum will work well for this and fits the existing models perfectly, just cut off a bit of fence, stick it between the base and the model, done! 

14 minutes ago, Goodapollo4 said:

Re: wisps of smoke, I think I'm just going to use a little bit of creative basing to help out some of our more fragile ghosties. I think that the Sigmarite Mausoleum will work well for this and fits the existing models perfectly, just cut off a bit of fence, stick it between the base and the model, done! 

Oh I agree, I am just thinking there are quite a few of these new Nighthaunt models that look like they are going to become those regularly converted models for structural integrity.  Look at what we assume is the Mortarch's profile.  ALL of that top heavy modeling on one streamer of dress/spirit stuff.

5 minutes ago, Nevar said:

I will also note that this banshee type ghost looks exactly like the sickle armed ones.  IMO those sickle banshees are part of the mortarch's modeled retinue.  Furthermore, behind the hourglass banshee is long whisps of ghost amid the branches, looks like the ends of a long dress.  Would make sense if this is a character in a long flowing gown, perhaps even a wedding gown, with her maids all around her.  I know it is cliche but the roses and thorns are also very archtypical motifs that basically confirms a female mortarch.

Secondly, the posing of the horse and rider in the left side profile is a match to the mounted knight of shrouds.  Likely the mounted knight of shrouds is a dual kit with this named character.  While they don't always dual kit, they do it a lot more than they don't.

Throne riding guy is cool, but I worry about how much model is suspended by that single whisp of spirit stuff.

Since we know it'll be the Mortarch of Grief, your analysis that it's likely a female Mortarch leads me to think folks are right on the money when they predict it's Isabella. Would be awesome, too. 

As for your second point, I don't think that's quite right. I'm looking at them side by side and I think they'd need to have a lot of additional alternate pieces for that to work. For instance, I don't think the front legs quite match up, nor do the back legs which appear to be off the ground in the silhouette. 

24 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Oh I agree, I am just thinking there are quite a few of these new Nighthaunt models that look like they are going to become those regularly converted models for structural integrity.  Look at what we assume is the Mortarch's profile.  ALL of that top heavy modeling on one streamer of dress/spirit stuff.

I was thinking that too, she looks like she might be even MORE precarious than the other mortarchs. Transporting these models is going to have it's own internal meta we have to manage...

9 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

Since we know it'll be the Mortarch of Grief, your analysis that it's likely a female Mortarch leads me to think folks are right on the money when they predict it's Isabella. Would be awesome, too. 

As for your second point, I don't think that's quite right. I'm looking at them side by side and I think they'd need to have a lot of additional alternate pieces for that to work. For instance, I don't think the front legs quite match up, nor do the back legs which appear to be off the ground in the silhouette. 

To take it a step further it could also play really well into the Stormcast vs Nighthaunt if the Mortarch is Isabella. My reasoning for this is in one of the Death Books Mannfred recognizes a "familiar presence" among the stormcast. IF that familiar presence was Vlad (especially if he isn't in control of himself) then the fight could be Isabella trying to free her love from Sigmar.

Edit: Plus the Black Coach is a Von Carstein trademark ;)

I'm more excited about the mounted leader to the left.   Along with all the new cavalry, I think I can make my cavalry army work now.

If he can be taken in Legions of Nagash (assuming yes), I can abandon all my needs for Nighthaunt.  If he can't, I still need the Mortis Engine moved to Nighthaunt and deathrattle allies.

Hopefully they reveal the other two this weekend over the expo.

Also I would love some info on those new cairn wraith looking infantry.  From images from the first convention there seemed to be a build for them that gave them all swords and metal masks, almost like a Knight of Shrouds unit.  I am always a fan of elite infantry, and they seem like they might be just that.  I love the chainrasps and all, but I am not a fan of popcorn units when actually playing.

1 hour ago, grungolah said:

If he can be taken in Legions of Nagash (assuming yes), I can abandon all my needs for Nighthaunt.  If he can't, I still need the Mortis Engine moved to Nighthaunt and deathrattle allies.

Do we think we will see another build out of the mortis kit? Like they did with the blood palanquin where it just came from nowhere ! 

It's a very Malignant looking peice anyway, just build it without the necromancer surely?!

39 minutes ago, CDM said:

Do we think we will see another build out of the mortis kit? Like they did with the blood palanquin where it just came from nowhere ! 

It's a very Malignant looking peice anyway, just build it without the necromancer surely?!

I'm mostly holding a grudge that they want me to start collecting Malignants, but Malignants isn't really a thing.  Time to stop collecting to an unused word.

Archived