Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

On 4/2/2018 at 9:35 PM, JD222 said:

Thanks, yeah I was expecting to do that as well, and felt like everything went together great. Now the excess glue is its own problem. Was yours touching at the top at least around her waist or did you have a gap there? Just worried about the spacing when the first wing goes on, and quite frustrated when the videos I looked up that step seemed to be easy and actually cover up seems in the body lol 

If I recall correctly I had to squeeze the dress components pretty tightly to cinch them at the waist, I believe I had it clamped with some rubber-tipped clothes pegs whilst it dried up, elastic bands would probably work better.  There was a gap at the top of the dress  unless I pinched it in quite firmly, from memory I think I found it easier to align the tails of the gown first before trying to jostle it into position around the waist?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

If I recall correctly I had to squeeze the dress components pretty tightly to cinch them at the waist, I believe I had it clamped with some rubber-tipped clothes pegs whilst it dried up, elastic bands would probably work better.  There was a gap at the top of the dress  unless I pinched it in quite firmly, from memory I think I found it easier to align the tails of the gown first before trying to jostle it into position around the waist?

This is super helpful thank you kindly! Never really had to use clips or elastics but great idea will try tn, surely better than gluing my fingers together lol 

13 hours ago, JD222 said:

This is super helpful thank you kindly! Never really had to use clips or elastics but great idea will try tn, surely better than gluing my fingers together lol 

Mine actually went together pretty well but I was still left with a gap. I just filled it with Liquid Green stuff. I also had a couple of gaps on the snake body I filled in the same way. Its a little easier to clean up than using excess plastic glue.

Hi there, I'm wondering how everybody gets the pale skin tone down??

I normally paint orcs and giants with a more rosey flesh tone.

I painted a test model with my medusa with a pale tone and a blue wash to match the blue scales and it came out okay, but I'm scratching my head for the witch elves... I'm tempted to go with grey scheme just for the sake of easiness! 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi everybody! I've commented maaany time ago in the Sylvaneth thread as I played them. Now I've encouraged to start a new army and I've chosen DoK.

Just a couple of questions related with a Path to Glory campaign we will start in our local store, any tip or advice there for choosing units? As I said it's my new army I have ordered a Blood coven (Cauldron/Bloodwrack shrine I will magnetize it) + witches + sisters/stalkers + Heartrenders. The point is that choosing a Cauldron as a leader it only allows me having 2 units which seems not enough for me. 

My first Idea was HaggNar temple, big witch unit (20-30) and a small unit of sisters/stalkers and HR. 

Although I really love the new snakes models I would not like to do a full temple nest army. 

I really appreciate all your commentaries :)

@DantePQ Looks amazing to me, the pale skin tone is just astonishing and your higlighting work is superb. Congrats!

P.D: Sorry for my  english mistakes!

Has anyone actually tried out a Shadowhammer Compact? I have never personally used any stormcast - so I'm not sure how well it would work or what loadouts to use for them, but the battalion seems like it has potential for small drops and some cool shenanigans when combined with the Slaughter Queen command ability. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the battalion ability doesn't appear to be a command ability so double pile ins in the hero phase for buffed witch elves seems cool. Current idea is :

Khailebron

Characters:

Slaughter Queen  (general, Mistress of Illusion, Amulet of Dark Fire, Catechism of Murder) - 100

Hag Queen on a Cauldron of Blood (Blood Sigil, Sacrament of Blood, Crimson Rejuvenation) -300

Battleline

2x5 Liberators - 100 each

2x20 Witch Elves - 200 each

Other Units 

5 Doomfire Warlocks (mind razor) - 160

10 Khinerai Heartrenders - 160

10 Blood Stalkers - 320

5 Judicators (could be 10 here and 5 blood stalkers, but I don't really know what weapon(s) to use/if they're better) - 160

3 Prosecutors (probably javelins) - 100

Battalion

Shadowhammer Compact - 80

Total points - 1980

Total Drops - 3

@Pistol44 I think any build with Slaughter Queen on Cauldron + big witch unit (30 as the discount is really sweet) is good to go. Temple Nest is fine but isn't optimal if you want to build up your army up to 2k as Blood Stalkers are the worst unit in the Battletome (not useless per se but there are better options). Slaughter Queen + witches + blood sisters + heartrenders is as good as it gets. And thanks for kind words about paint scheme I did test model only, now my friend takes over but will keep you posted how army is coming up asit's huge - Bloodwrack Shrine, Cauldron (both magnetized), Morathi, 3 Hag Queens, 80 Witches/SoS, 20 Hearrenders, 20 Blood Sisters, 10 Warlocks. 

20 hours ago, SugarMaple82 said:

Has anyone actually tried out a Shadowhammer Compact? I have never personally used any stormcast - so I'm not sure how well it would work or what loadouts to use for them, but the battalion seems like it has potential for small drops and some cool shenanigans when combined with the Slaughter Queen command ability. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the battalion ability doesn't appear to be a command ability so double pile ins in the hero phase for buffed witch elves seems cool. Current idea is :

Khailebron

Characters:

Slaughter Queen  (general, Mistress of Illusion, Amulet of Dark Fire, Catechism of Murder) - 100

Hag Queen on a Cauldron of Blood (Blood Sigil, Sacrament of Blood, Crimson Rejuvenation) -300

Battleline

2x5 Liberators - 100 each

2x20 Witch Elves - 200 each

Other Units 

5 Doomfire Warlocks (mind razor) - 160

10 Khinerai Heartrenders - 160

10 Blood Stalkers - 320

5 Judicators (could be 10 here and 5 blood stalkers, but I don't really know what weapon(s) to use/if they're better) - 160

3 Prosecutors (probably javelins) - 100

Battalion

Shadowhammer Compact - 80

Total points - 1980

Total Drops - 3

Firstly, if you're going to, always use 10 blood stalker over 10 judicators. The second set of 5 blood stalkers are superior in every single way.

Secondly, I think you're missing out on some synergies with shadowhammer compact.

First and foremost is the fact that the shadowhammer compact is the only thing that makes heartrenders not as good as lifetakers. Heartrenders are anti-synergistic compared to Lifetakers who gain A LOT. Having a unit move 28" the first turn that (with buffs) will do enough damage to wipe a 40 block of skeletons or 2 units of dracoth cav for 280pts is no joke. Also there's a lot of synergy to be had with the khailebron trait and witch aelves that should definitely be exploited.

If I was gonna make the list it'd be: Khailebron

Slaughter Queen 

Hag Cauldron Blood Sigil

Hag

30 WE

20WE

5 Judi

2x5 Libs

20 Lifetakers

5 Doomfires Mindrazor

5 Stalkers.

3 Prosecutors with Jav

13 hours ago, Burf said:

Firstly, if you're going to, always use 10 blood stalker over 10 judicators. The second set of 5 blood stalkers are superior in every single way.

Secondly, I think you're missing out on some synergies with shadowhammer compact.

First and foremost is the fact that the shadowhammer compact is the only thing that makes heartrenders not as good as lifetakers. Heartrenders are anti-synergistic compared to Lifetakers who gain A LOT. Having a unit move 28" the first turn that (with buffs) will do enough damage to wipe a 40 block of skeletons or 2 units of dracoth cav for 280pts is no joke. Also there's a lot of synergy to be had with the khailebron trait and witch aelves that should definitely be exploited.

(...)

interesting! Why would you choose the Blood Stalkers over the Judicators?

Gave my list another run out yesterday, against dreadwood sylvaneth. Still massively glass hammery, but 11 sisters did 40 wounds to kurnoth hunters... But then towards the end of the game, ended up with very little again. Great fun though. The sisters do seem to rely quite a bit on MindRazor, which is a bit of an issue. 

5 hours ago, Lhw said:

Gave my list another run out yesterday, against dreadwood sylvaneth. Still massively glass hammery, but 11 sisters did 40 wounds to kurnoth hunters... But then towards the end of the game, ended up with very little again. Great fun though. The sisters do seem to rely quite a bit on MindRazor, which is a bit of an issue. 

Yep, Sisters are kind of really glassy you usually need Witchbrew and/or Mindrazor for them to work. What temple did you use?

Yesterday I played another 3 game against : Legion of Nagash (Vhordrai, another Vampire on dragon, 2xNecromacer, 40 Skelies, 30 Grave Guards, 2x10 Skeletons), Changehost (30 Tzaangors) and Mixed Order (4 Pheonixes + Morathi + Skinks + Waywatchers). Tabled Legion of Nagash, won Major against Changehost and lost major in 5th battleround to Mixed Order. 

I didn't play too well and just totally messed up last game. 

- doomfire warlocks are just bad - they just didn't do much in any game, especially in big block of 10 I used 

- DoK need as many bodies as you can get - I think two big blocks are really needed

- HaggNar Slaughter Queen is just flat-out amazing and she's main reason I don't really want to use big units of Blood Sisters as they really need Medusa as general. Maybe I will try out 5 Blood Sisters as support units as they can easily dish out 3MW + 15 3+/3+ rend attacks for 140 pts. 

- Heartrenders are good but quite unreliable, I think I will use just 2x5. 

Next week I will play against : Maggotkin, Kroak,Changehost and LoN/Nurgle. 

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Yep, Sisters are kind of really glassy you usually need Witchbrew and/or Mindrazor for them to work. What temple did you use?

Yesterday I played another 3 game against : Legion of Nagash (Vhordrai, another Vampire on dragon, 2xNecromacer, 40 Skelies, 30 Grave Guards, 2x10 Skeletons), Changehost (30 Tzaangors) and Mixed Order (4 Pheonixes + Morathi + Skinks + Waywatchers). Tabled Legion of Nagash, won Major against Changehost and lost major in 5th battleround to Mixed Order. 

I didn't play too well and just totally messed up last game. 

- doomfire warlocks are just bad - they just didn't do much in any game, especially in big block of 10 I used 

- DoK need as many bodies as you can get - I think two big blocks are really needed

- HaggNar Slaughter Queen is just flat-out amazing and she's main reason I don't really want to use big units of Blood Sisters as they really need Medusa as general. Maybe I will try out 5 Blood Sisters as support units as they can easily dish out 3MW + 15 3+/3+ rend attacks for 140 pts. 

- Heartrenders are good but quite unreliable, I think I will use just 2x5. 

Next week I will play against : Maggotkin, Kroak,Changehost and LoN/Nurgle. 

I had a game against Ironjawz today and you mentioned all the observations I made!

I played: 
Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples  
- Artefact: Crystal Heart  
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Catechsim of Murder
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: None

Total: 1000 / 1000

Against 2x5 Brutes, 10 'Ardboyz and a Big Boss on 
Maw-Crusha. 

He got the first turn and managed to charge my Avatar and my Witch Aelfs. Thankfully the Witch Aelfs protected my Blood Sisters. 
In my turn I managed to stack buff after buff on the blood sisters and they slaughtered his Ardboyz and then nearly killed his Maw-Crusha in my second turn. They dish out a lot of damage with Catechism of Murder, the Witch brew, Mindrazor. 

-The +1 on the fanatical faith save from the Hagg Nar trait was surprisingly strong.

-Doomfire Warlocks were good in so far as they dont rely on buffs and are quick, so they run across the battlefield and don't need to stay close to my heroes. 

for 160 points you get either Doomfire Warlocks or 2x5 Heartrenders as a fast moving choice. Hard to tell which option is better.

The Heartrenders are somewhat quicker, while the Doomfire Warlocks are magic users and might have a higher damage output.

I played my first game with Shadowhammer Compact today.  List was this: 

Screenshot_20180407-223519.png.2dee304fc0426963db6198baf364d336.png

Scenario was duality of death.

Opponent was Shadowstrike Starhost Seraphon with two Bastiladons.

Turn 1, I choose to go first and immediately transform Morathi, both because her monster form is so strong in duality and because Shadowstrike can hit anywhere on the board.  Using the battalion ability I run a unit of witches up the board and move the Judicators forward.  Mystic shield goes on Morathi and witch brew on the witches, but the other buffs all fail.  In move phase I moved everything up the board, including Morathi onto the objective, running the witches again.  Heartrenders come down but are too far from any heroes to do anything of consequence other than screen the other objective and put a couple wounds on a bastiladon.  Everything else shoots the Slann, with a couple hits from the prosecutors javelins finishing him off.  Witches charge a unit of 40 skinks, killing 17 and another 8 to battleshock. 

The game is essentially over at this point.  I've got Morathi on one objective and the other one is completely surrounded by my guys, blocking any attempt to get a bastiladon on there.  

Opponent kills my hag and slaughter Queens and gets double turn, but can't chew through enough of my guys to get to the other objective and math says there's no way for me to lose.

I think my opponent was pretty startled at how fast I could get bring force to bear.  His Slann was maybe 6 inches off the back line and I got 3 units in range to shoot it, plus the Heartrenders and a witch charge.  

I think the list might struggle in an attrition battle, but it sure can bring the heat.

Been playing a lot of DoK, and learned a lot of things that haven't been discussed yet.

- Morathi -
Morathi for me so far has been the queen of whiffing. This happens a lot for me with big monsters. Happens with me constantly with Nagash. You just cannot rely on monsters to bring the pain every time. Then there is her damage table - 5 entries. Really? 5 entries for a 12 wound model. Basically you loose 300 points of power once she loses 6 wounds.

As a side note, her wounds table has made me really appreciate 40k - typically you have to lose 50-70% of your wounds before anything happens, whereas in AoS many damage tables are just brutal, losing key strength after just 3 wounds.

Tie this damage table in with the fact that if your opponent scores 3 wounds on her first turn, you are starting her off with -6 wounds. Basically you cannot risk it at all. The high oracle is cute but no one in their right mind is gambling with a 480 point model that is taking double damage and can never be healed for any reason. If they didn't have the cool "double the wounds" rule then it might be fun to experiment, but as it stands there is no way you are gambling with your points. At least not if you are trying to play competitively or effectively. 

Now, you might think that I'm saying Morathi is not a good unit - but that is not the case. This topic is filled with examples of people declaring Morathi is amazing or that she is terrible. This is because the natural idea is to judge her value based on her killing over 480 points worth of stuff. The issue is that her strength does not lie in her ability to do damage, it lies in her ability to soak up tons of fire and never die. Shes just about the most ultimate distraction carnifex ever. Play her in Hagg Nar with MS and near a cauldron, and she is 2+/5++, which means your opponent may sink a lot of resources into getting those 3 wounds. The longer it takes, the more resources they will use, and the less resources they will use to focus on our armorless hordes. If one turn they fail to cause 3 wounds its a nightmare for them. In Duality of Death, she is broken. If you bubble wrap her on an objective, that's basically game over. No army needs a distraction like this more than DoK, so it's hard to judge whether 480 is too much, or crazy cheap. 

- The First Turn -
The only thing to do (and as the battle reports on this topic have all reflected) is that you HAVE to go first and transform Morathi. You just have to. In addition to protecting your Morathi investment, you can also activate key prayers (which I'll discuss later) as well as the pivotal witchbrew. With models behind her, Morathi transforms about 3" forward, then moves 14" and gets in close for a first turn charge. A Bloodwrack Shrine can cast Steed of Shadow to get close as well, while Khinerai descend into position. If the armies are 18" away, there is a big risk of first turn charges from Witches and SoS.

You might get yourself locked into a "I put 50% of my army into 100% of my opponents army" situation. Normally this is bad and loses you games. But in the case of DoK .. half your army has twice the offence, so this is not a big deal.  

The good news is that in the current meta, everyone is bending over backward to reduce drops and make you go first. DoK doesn't have to worry about this at all. The only issue is if for some reason your opponent decides to go first and - if they go first, they might be able to put 3 wounds on Morathi. With -1 to hit, the ability to deploy her hidden and a 5++ if in Hagg Nar you have some defense but its a very scary situation. Hopefully you get a double turn to make up for this.

- Temples - 
For me its Hagg Nar all the way. You can double your invuln on an army who's only weakness is defense. The reroll hits is as good or better than the +1 to hit for Draichi Ganeth. Kraith is too swingy, and you can use a Cauldron command to attack twice anyway. Khailebron is a useful tactic but the -1 to hit with shooting is too situational. After turn 1 you don't really have any issues getting into combat and Mistress of Illusion becomes more of a situational thing. I don't really have any interest in trying anything other than Hagg Nar. With good conga-lining you can get all your key units with a 5++ that will drive your opponent insane.

- Prayers -
The prayers are what makes this army shine. Every one of them is "until your next hero phase" which means all the prayers you activate on turn one persist through an opponents double turn. Does your opponent want to charge a unit of witch elves with 5++ and 4 attacks each w/ extra attacks on 6s? The blessing of Khaine is insane in Hagg Nar. If you expect your unit to die, punish their army with mortals on 5+. Healing is in your turn but is amazing to have on a Shrine that is your general and just wont die. Immunity to battelshock is mostly overshadowed by 60 point Hags that provide that every turn.. but its still a good prayer.  

Sacrament of blood is my favorite in Hagg Nar - every turn after turn 1 the unit is re-rolling all hits. The best part is if your opponent goes into a double turn, its still active and since it's round 2 your unit picks up full re-rolls.

Another key one is the ability to activate your statue. This is huge if your Cauldron general gets charged. Its very nice that everyone has it so it can be attempted multiple times and the range is infinite, so if you need it to go off you typically can get it.  Note that after round 1 though, Sacrament is the same thing but better. 

- Witch Aelves & SOS -
I'm just going to say it, Witches are broken. Every game this unit is my MVP. On its own it has the most wound output I've ever seen, then you factor in almost automatic wound re-rolls and immunity to battleshock. Then possibly -1 rend it gets insane. You can exploit Inspiring/sinister terrain, the Statue & Shroud of Despair to get 2 damage attacks which just - nothing is surviving 50 wounds with -1 rend and 2 damage each. Then they are easily 5+/5+++ or better. I'm used to trying to get the most of Ghoul hordes and - these just blow them out of the universe. If you have a unit of 30, and get all the buffs on them, and spread them across multiple units on the charge .. the game is just over for your opponent. This is like the most insane damage output ever.

SOS are really funny in that they can retreat within 6" of an enemy and then pile in anyway. They can choose not to charge and then just pile in. they are really crazy in this way but at best they have 75% of the attack output as Witches for 20% more cost, so I just can't love them over witches. Thinking about trying the shields and using them more to pin stuff down since I'm never getting that many dagger attacks anyway. 

- Melusai & Medusa-
Blood Sisters are really good. They are at a great price point and have a nice discount at 20. They can dish out a ton of mortals, especially in Hagg Nar when re-rolling, and even more with extras on 6s. When you bring a ton of them you really exploit their mortal wound output and discounts as  @Scythian did to incredible effect at Adepticon. The unit just has great stats on its own then benefits from all the DoK buffs. I'm working toward a unit of 20 as a staple in my lists. 

Stalkers are just bad. I don't know what they were thinking with this unit. It was actually the unit I was most excited for pre-rules, but GW ruined them. I think they were afraid of exploiting Morathi's double shoot command. They just royally goofed here. I would never use more than 10 to fill out a Temple Nest, but I don't even see that battalion as very good because too many units have re-rolls and I don't even think DoK needs battalions anyway. Also the unit has a little dragon thing that's a waste and all kinds of like little grenades and stuff that they didn't bother writing rules for?

Grenade.jpg.5f00d13a896dbd4da2489696cb85efb8.jpg

The Medusa is nice as the armies dedicated wizard. Nobody is talking about how you can take like 3 of these and just obliterate hordes. The amount of damage potential each one of these has against hordes is amazing.

- Doomfire Warlocks -
I don't really like them. They have great movement, some shooting, a good spell. Kind of jack of all trades kind of unit which I never really enjoy. I prefer each of my units to excel at one specific task. Its a decent unit but I have a lot more things I'd like to spend the points on in this army. 

- Khinerai - 
The core value of this unit is in their ability to land anywhere in any turn. For this reason I see them both as interchangeable. Everyone figured out quick that Heartrenders have more utility but 5 single damage shooting attacks are not turning the  tide of the game. The big thing is being able to move on the turn they land, but on a 4+ is un-reliable. Sure you can change them but they aren't much for close combat. Lifetakers in contrast have quadruple the damage potential when they charge, but I wish they had rend, or were able to come down like 7" or something to give them utility over Heartrenders. I'm going to try an get some love out of Lifetakers because I like the look/aesthetic more but I'll probably end up with just using Heartrenders for their annoying efficiency. 

- Summary - 
So far I've won my first couple 2k games by a large margin. DoK kind of feels like Khorne with equal (or more) damage potential, but with more resiliency (in Hagg Nar).  I don't know if its competitive enough against all the craziness, and some of the synergy is a bit swingy. I think the key to success might be in some kind of first turn denial, to minimize the opponents effectiveness in turn 1 and 2 then when DoK are in range and warmed up, hit way to hard for your opponent to come back from. The Khinerai also present great opportunity to steal objectives in mid-late game. They are a great alternative to Khorne for someone looking for an army with incredible close combat bite, but there are a lot of things to juggle to make the army work. This is common for Elf/Dark Elf/Aeldar/Dark Aeldar type lists - they require a lot of finesse but when played right have historically dominated the top tables.   

- Other Notes - 
I agree with others on the Idoneth. They seems to be another form of dark elf with an aquatic theme. They are all beautiful sculpts but I much prefer the aesthetic of DoK. 

So, my father came to visit and really liked my painting, so he got me a few gifts from GW......
IMG_8282.JPG.7ec8de73c2197908a219375fff776454.JPG

Here is my paint concept for DoK, next to some other models for refrence
IMG_7917.JPG.26cb503f8f542330a344d7109ae321e8.JPG

Here are some action shots of my first games
IMG_8287.JPG.c413658fa7ef1ed16d57f5df23639c69.JPG
IMG_8308.JPG.d3245b0ad0bce16677d2d42b97aaf11f.JPG
IMG_8309.JPG.fa3ddb83c75f330f032c6b21d2d15765.JPG

Working on priming up my hordes now. Have to figure out my paint scheme for the snakes.

16 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Hi Dante, I used (and will be using) Khailebron. I know a lot of you love Hag Narr, but the teleport and auto -1 to shooting is just too good. I like the options that it gives, with the free teleport too.

@Lhw yep I used Khailebron recently and it's kind of too glass for me - I'd love this if AoS rules change to Wh40k rules for activation of charging units. Right know it's not optimal to make more then one charge with glassy units.  Also it depends how heavy shooting meta is. 

When you've got one massive killy unit, like I do, guess it makes it less of an issue! I just worry with Hag Narr that your opponent will always just focus their attacks on your general and then your bonus is gone.

Yep but my Slaughter Queen on Cauldron with Amulet of Dark Fire and re-roll s of FF is quite hard to kill also I can Mystic shield her for 3+ save , usually she survives whole battle and even if not it takes some time to kill her. Also I run Crimson Rejuvenation. To get bonus FF save you got keep some units close her so it isn't easy to bring her down. Also I rub Medusa with Shadow Stone now so she is terrifying with Mindrazor and Bravery 10. And on top of it she has sweet CA. Also HaggNar re rolls of hits bonus is also awesome.

Heavy shooting is an issued but there aren't many armies that run such high range shooting to bring down 13W model with 4+,5++ save in turn one. Sylvaneth aren't a thing with mass shooting and Skyfires aren't that obvious as some most Changehost builds don't run them anymore (preferring 30 Tzaangors) 

Magic is not an issue -4++ save plus 5++ save  mess that to bring her down you need to inflict over 30 mortals wounds in turn one and there is range issue with 18" I got one unbid and only Herald can blast 3 spells at me for a maximum of 15 MW before saves. 

Also recent armies do not have a lot or shooting so it down to Kunnin or Clown Car but I got perfect  match up against Clown ?  Car anyway. 

What about freeguild/mixed order massed shooting? Also curious how you deal with Overlords? If not CC, then just lots of Arknaughts would seem to be a problem!

I'm probably being too negative about it, sure it is normally very useful.

Haven't played against Freeguild mixed order or Arkonauts spam yet. So it's hard to tell. 

Against Clown Car its pretty easy just deploy everything in range to Slaughter Queen shielding her as much as you can. Clown Car can't kill Morathi or Heartrenders and has to go first so doesn't have a shot at double turn. Played two times against it and tabled KO both times. 

For sure it works great against Changehost and any melee army. 

Archived