Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

I believe Kheliborn ability will be great early on as later you will have to keep your units close to general limiting it uses.  Also opponent can mess with it moving units within 3 of potential units that can be teleported to take objectives.  Also you need to have general alive which isn't obvious. Later on. HaggNar ability is pretty powerful later on. 

I guess Kheliborn is better to make enemy uncomfortable early on and push him into mistakes as it's possible to do a lot of movement tricks. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucentia said:

I finished the easy part:

49mhNLA.jpg?1

I am rather more daunted by the bigger version, I am not very good at painting giant bat wings!

Looks great!  Although I am rather dreading painting my own Morathi; it certainly seems like sub-assemblies on this model is a must due to all the intricate details.

What colors and shade did you use on the metal wings?

So many Sneks! I count maybe...60?

I would like to aspire to have this many medusai in my army.

I would like to have more Bloodwracks, but aside from headswaps or arm swaps I am finding it difficult to make different poses to make each one unique.  What do you all suggest?

Also concerning Bloodwrack Medusae...blood or no blood?  Part of me thinks so much blood on the model will just make it look messy when compared to the Blood Sisters, but I am hesitant to begin carving up the model to remove it.

8 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

Looks great!  Although I am rather dreading painting my own Morathi; it certainly seems like sub-assemblies on this model is a must due to all the intricate details.

What colors and shade did you use on the metal wings?

I normally paint in sub-assemblies, yeah, little Morathi was with head/hair, left wing and spear separate.  Unfortunately big Morathi is a little harder to split down due to how the bits go together, so I just left the wings and base off and glued everything else together, hopefully I can still get a brush to all the pertinent bits.

The wings there are actually done in bone colour to match all the weaponry of my DoK, which is Rakarth Flesh - Rakarth/Ushabti Bone - Agrax wash -Ushabti Bone - Ushabti/White Scar.

Honestly, I did it for the look. Having the all serpent Daughters list with 4 Medusa’s as the characters was just too cool to pass up. The army cost me just short of a grand, but I’m a Daughters fanatic. As far as the potency, I really don’t care much. I’m just ecstatic to be playing an all Daughters list and serpents are just icing on the top. 

personally I am aiming for very competitive 1000 points auf DoK.

@DantePQ

with some learning from your posts I tried to construct a 1000 point list:

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Khailebron

Leaders
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Artefact: Amulet of Dark Fire
Hag Queen (60)

Battleline
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
30 x Witch Aelves (270)

Units
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: None

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 73

-> heartrenders are awesome to contest objectives
-> the big unit of Witches can be teleported
What do you guys think? For me this is kind of a buying list if you approve. My main enemy are the dreaded Stormcast Eternals ;-)

4 hours ago, The Traitor said:

Yes, I also think Mistress of Illusion is Khelibron's main appeal, as the -1 to hit against shooting isn't that useful in the AoS meta.

It's the opposite usually, mistress of illusion has very limited, very gimmicky applications unless you also have immaculate movement and mirrordance but the -1 to hit in shooting is amazing against the majority of competitive order and chaos lists and a not insignificant amount of good destruction lists.

3 hours ago, Kaleun said:

Holy Cow!

You went heavily on the scaly side of the Daughters. Looks good!

Just because I am interested: Did you check if the army is good beforehand? Or did you decide just for the style?

I'm going heavy Melusai as well.  

Eh, I've had a half dozen or so Tabletop Simulator games with them and they had performed well each time.  I definitely think it's tough to keep them safe, but the Temple Nest Battalion with Khailebron is how you can get a single drop list with a good temple Command Trait (deepstrike a unit anywhere outside of 9"?  Really?) while having an armywide -1 to hit save from shooting... which the meta favors at the moment, heh.   Can do a good 2-3 drop list with Morathi and Khailebron Temple Nest that forces your opponent to deal with her, but I think running a Cauldron for the +1 save is important.

12 hours ago, Kaleun said:

personally I am aiming for very competitive 1000 points auf DoK.

@DantePQ

with some learning from your posts I tried to construct a 1000 point list:

- Temple: Khailebron

Leaders
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Artefact: Amulet of Dark Fire
Hag Queen (60)

Battleline
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)

Units
5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160)
- Lore of Shadows: None

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200

-> heartrenders are awesome to contest objectives
-> the big unit of Witches can be teleported
What do you guys think? For me this is kind of a buying list if you approve. My main enemy are the dreaded Stormcast Eternals ;-)

Looks good! 30 witches with a slaughter queen on cauldron is a shredding machine :D

My main worry would be not a lot of mortal wound potential for fighting stormcast or other heavy armour. I would also be tempted to go for a hag queen on cauldron general to gain 30 points. and split the witches into 1 x 20 (daggers) and 2 x 10 (bucklers). or even 4 x 10

Just had a game at the weekend on the Scorched Earth battleplan - used a very aggressive list of witches and bloodsisters and found I was struggling to have enough units to hold 3 back field objectives and take the fight accross the table at the same time. - The scenarios with 6 objectives will be even tougher at 1000 points. I lost the game but mostly because he got 3 points from burning one of my objectives on turn 1 and i only got 1 when I burned one of his on turn 3. It was pretty even other than that.

Heartrenders are amazing. They don't do impressive damage but even the threat of them forces your opponent to make choices and limits his mobility and placement. 

23 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Are you guys playing Morathi's shard of khaine rule by RAW? I mean 3 wounds allocated, roll saves, then she can't be allocated more wounds, or suffering 3 wounds per turn?

Hopefully we are getting an FAQ  soon. I want to know how that works a little better as well.

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Looks good! 30 witches with a slaughter queen on cauldron is a shredding machine :D

My main worry would be not a lot of mortal wound potential for fighting stormcast or other heavy armour. I would also be tempted to go for a hag queen on cauldron general to gain 30 points. and split the witches into 1 x 20 (daggers) and 2 x 10 (bucklers). or even 4 x 10

Just had a game at the weekend on the Scorched Earth battleplan - used a very aggressive list of witches and bloodsisters and found I was struggling to have enough units to hold 3 back field objectives and take the fight accross the table at the same time. - The scenarios with 6 objectives will be even tougher at 1000 points. I lost the game but mostly because he got 3 points from burning one of my objectives on turn 1 and i only got 1 when I burned one of his on turn 3. It was pretty even other than that.

Heartrenders are amazing. They don't do impressive damage but even the threat of them forces your opponent to make choices and limits his mobility and placement. 

alright. I get the discount on the unit of 30. So maybe I'll have the bucklers on the unit of 10 witches. For more Mortal wounds we can get help from some friendly Executioners with a happy attitude.

like so:

- Temple: Hagg Nar
Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)
- General
Hag Queen (60)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
10 x Executioners (180)
- Allies

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 180 / 200

swapped the SQ Cauldron for the Hag Cauldron and dropped the Doomfire Warlocks for the Happy-Masked guys with big butter knifes.

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

Do the games core rules state wounds are allocated and then saved or saved then allocated? 

It all hinges on when that allocation stage is as it could go either way. 

Wound allocation goes in the final step of attacking, this means after all saves have been done. Fanatical faith goes after the wounds had been allocated. To speak it clearly, it is hit to roll, hit to wound, armor saves, check/roll damage, allocate wounds ---- > Fanatical Faith and Iron heart of khaine kicks in. By RAW it means that you can only allocate 3 wounds, and then you roll the Fanatical Faith over those allocated wounds. Afterwards, even if you saved some of those wounds by fanatical faith, the opponent won't be able to allocate anymore wounds that turn.

The difference can be massive, since you can potentially stop many wounds from going in each turn. A quick example:

- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples 
- Artefact: Thousand and One Dark Blessings 
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

Battleline
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 39

This can give Blessing of Khaine to Morathi, so she would have the 5++ rerollable for the 3 wounds that are allocated, meaning an average of 1.33 wounds per turn.

Rules sources:

Fanatical faith: Roll a dice each time a wound or mortal wound is allocated to a friendly DAUGHTERS OF KHAINE model. On a 6+ the wound is negated

The Iron Heart of Khaine :Morathi, High Oracle of Khaine cannot be healed, but no more than 3 wounds can be allocated to her in any one turn. Any additional wounds and/or mortal wounds allocated to her in the same turn are negated and have no effect

INFLICTING DAMAGE After all of the attacks made by a unit have been carried out, the player commanding the target unit allocates any wounds that are inflicted to models from the unit as they see fit(the models do not have to be within range or visible to an attacking unit).When inflicting damage, if you allocate a wound to a model, you must keep on allocating wounds to that model until either it is slain, or no more wounds remain to be allocated.

4 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

By RAW it means that you can only allocate 3 wounds, and then you roll the Fanatical Faith over those allocated wounds. Afterwards, even if you saved some of those wounds by fanatical faith, the opponent won't be able to allocate anymore wounds that turn.

Yep, I've talked about this earlier in the thread, but I think it doesn't hurt to reinforce it every so often since it is so central to keeping 1/4 of our army alive and kicking. 

Archived