20x Witch elves (2daggers)

5x Blood Stalkers

5x Blood Stalkers 

10x Heartrenders

10x Heartrenders

Temple nest Battalion

Khailebron Temple 

Comes in at bang on 2000 points. 

Any thoughts? I really like the temple nest ability. (Any time an opponent rolls 1s to hit in cc against the battalion  units, they suffer a mortal for each 1)

There are so many re-roll 1s to hit in the game I'm not sure how effective this will actually be.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DantePQ said:

And smart player will just protect valueable units behind chaff. 

good luck when I can move 28" and charge OVER things. Also, what chaff is a Stormcast player gonna have? Beastclaws?  Not every army has chaff.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

I will be using proxys, I have Witches and HagQueens. Too bad I have to wait two more weeks for Heartrenders :( I will write raport tommorow it's against strong player and he will be using Sylvaneth or some crazy 4 x FrostheartPheonix mixed Order army. 

Bring us glory. FOR THE QUEEN!

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Yep but after Turn 1, Lifetakers are usually dead ;) 

Lifetakers are just much worse then Heartrenders, along with Blood Stalkers they are my biggest disappointment in Battletome. Sure maybe Stalkers can work in some crazy shadowhammer gimmick (it could be quite strong!) but overall I would waste my points on them, for the same cost I got 10 Heartrenders who are just flat out better. 

Maybe Blood Stalkers fare well compared to Judicators but aren't good enough - sadly :(

If you're losing your lifetakers turn one, it's because you're dogs**t at deployment. 

Okay guys, I moght just as well post it in here.
I had a run in with AoS earlier but turns out i have never played a game ever.
Been playing 9Th Age for some time and I am a hueg Dark Elves fan (to the point i now consider buying 90 Witches in boxes on a student scholarship) and now i want to try AoS as the community didn't quite fit me in the 'Old Crowd of hardened wargamers' :P

So i want to begin my adventure with AoS with DoK, then Deepkin if they turn out interesting.

What do I do? Where do i begin? 

tl;dr I am new, want to start DoK. Any tips?

10 minutes ago, Varred said:

Been playing 9Th Age for some time and I am a hueg Dark Elves fan (to the point i now consider buying 90 Witches in boxes on a student scholarship) and now i want to try AoS as the community didn't quite fit me in the 'Old Crowd of hardened wargamers' :P

So i want to begin my adventure with AoS with DoK, then Deepkin if they turn out interesting.

Do you have any models at present? DC seem to need a lot of infantry, simply because of what’s available at the moment. If you’re starting from literally nothing, I found searching eBay was a good way just to starry collecting a core force. Plus, things like the Generals Handbook 2017 are useful, to learn more about abilities, artefacts, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Varred said:

Welcome!  Your best bet for starting out is probably g going to be two blood coven boxes.  With that you'll be able to play a 1000 point game.  From there it will depend on what you enjoy about your first games.  Do you like giant monster babes? Then check out Morathi.  Super speedy deep strike?  Khinerai.  Elite combat snake women?  Melusai.

Just now, Richelieu said:

Welcome!  Your best bet for starting out is probably g going to be two blood coven boxes.  With that you'll be able to play a 1000 point game.  From there it will depend on what you enjoy about your first games.  Do you like giant monster babes? Then check out Morathi.  Super speedy deep strike?  Khinerai.  Elite combat snake women?  Melusai.

Yeah thought already bout Blood Coven. One is 100% but i already own one Wagon, albeit converted to be a chariot with 4 horses from chariot and the cauldron at the top, no avatar or medusae on top so dunno if folks would allow it in play. But if it is good, then second coven seems reckless to me. Thought about Melusai more than Khinerai, but from what i understand about that conversation here, (it's not much mind you) i'd like to try a combo of big Blood Sisters unit + MSU of Heartrenders if it is doable. Probably under a Medusae cause Sisters are battleline and i understand that u need at least 3 of them

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

good luck when I can move 28" and charge OVER things. Also, what chaff is a Stormcast player gonna have? Beastclaws?  Not every army has chaff.

I played with Dreadwood and I had Alarielle who could fly move 32“ and it didn't stopped my opponents from feeding me chaff. It's not that easy that's why Clown Car is so powerful you don't have to charge through chaff just blast away what you want. 

I will let you know how the game went it's one of many build I want to test soon. 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, Lhw said:

The list I'm currently thinking of below. Would be interested to hear thoughts? Couple of points I'm guessing at, so might have got wrong. Also don't know actual names of lots, so just put what they do.

Kraith Cult (-1 to hit from shooting)

Medusa (general).  Artefact=re roll 1s and +1 to cast. Spell=Mindrazor (140)
Morathi. Spell=+1 to wound an enemy unit. (480)
Hag Queen on Cauldron. Prayer=2 hits on a 6+. (300)
Hag queen.  Prayer=boost a unit on the blood rites table(60)
Witch aelves x10 (100)
Witch aelves x10 (100)
Blood sisters x20 (480)
Doomfire warlocks x5. Spell=-1 bravery (160)
Heartrenders x10 (160)
1980 total. 

Think I might end up playing with some of the spells. Also tempting to drop the hag or 5 Heartrenders to boost the Medusa into a Bloodwrack Shrine. 

I would personally prefer more bodies.... but I see 20 Blood Sisters and I approve hahaha.

3 hours ago, Keldaur said:

The more I am looking at the sisters of the slaughter the more I am liking them. Not sure what equipment, but the pile 6" pile in opens up a lot of shenanigans like retreat+run to get to pile it into another unit (potentially 18" away...) without the need to charge or retreat + run to change their position in a combat to get more favorable terms.

The fact you can just pile in 6", it breaks the rules and its so great. I can't wait to see the craziness on the battlefield. 

57 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

The fact you can just pile in 6", it breaks the rules and its so great. I can't wait to see the craziness on the battlefield. 

You still have to be within 3" or have charged to be able to attack in the combat phase as per the main rules.  A 6" pile in is still good though.

36 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

You still have to be within 3" or have charged to be able to attack in the combat phase as per the main rules.  A 6" pile in is still good though.

No. The SoS rule actually specifies that. It is pretty clear ;)

Dance of Death: Sisters of Slaughter can be chosen to pile in and attack in the combat phase if they are within 6" of an enemy, and can move up to 6" when they pile in.

1 hour ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Yes, you can also use it to guarantee that they always attack first in your turn, since you do not allow your opponent to activate before them if you are further away than 3". If you want to attack something close, you can hang on there, if you were already in combat you can retreat, and then pile in to guarantee they are going to attack before the enemy. It can be truly amazing.

5 hours ago, Keldaur said:

No. The SoS rule actually specifies that. It is pretty clear ;)

Dance of Death: Sisters of Slaughter can be chosen to pile in and attack in the combat phase if they are within 6" of an enemy, and can move up to 6" when they pile in.

Yes, you can also use it to guarantee that they always attack first in your turn, since you do not allow your opponent to activate before them if you are further away than 3". If you want to attack something close, you can hang on there, if you were already in combat you can retreat, and then pile in to guarantee they are going to attack before the enemy. It can be truly amazing.

Wow, I stand corrected, thank you. "Amazing" seems to be the right word.  This will take a while to see all of the tactical possibilities, but I think I will be adding to the 10 I have at the moment :) 

1 hour ago, Lhw said:

Does the command ability for Kraith (I think) cult, with the teleport, happen at the beginning of the hero phase? Could be a bit of fun shenanigans with morathi if so

Actually it isn't CA but Command Trait "at the start of your hero phase" you pick one friendly unit within 7'' of general, if it is more than 3'' from enemy , remove it and set up in 9'' away from enemy. It cannot move in movement phase. So I guess it could be done but I don't know ruling on two abilities happening at the start of hero phase. 

35 minutes ago, Lhw said:

I think it's previously been FAQd to say that you get to choose, as the person whose turn it is.

True, but the morathi rules feel like the kind of ruleset that will be FAQ’ed as soon as the tournament people get their hands on her ? I already see some extra inching forward shenanigans by surrounding her with witch elves and pushing her forward a bit. 

They specifically say you're allowed to do that, to be fair. I think they've tried to word it to reduce as much as possible, but they can't stop it entirely. Either she moves forward, or other stuff does (like with the Balewind). Either way, someone gets the boost.

I've got a small 1k point Vanguard mini tournament (I don't think it will have "meta" lists and it seems to be more fluffy than WAAC) coming up soon and have put together this list and want to know what everyone thinks?

Temple Hagg-Narr (for 5+++)

Slaughter queen on Cauldren (general, reroll fanatical faith)

Hag Queen (exploding 6's)

Bloodwrack medusa (mindrazer)

30 witch aelves (2 daggers)

10 sisters of slaughter (buckler)

5 khinerai heartrenders

Unsure on what artifact to take,my initial thought is the 3 prayer one. Anyway I think ive got most of my bases covered for most eventualities but id love to hear what you guys think?? (only consideration is that its at the start of April and the army needs to be fully painted and based so probably not enough time to get a temple nest list together)

3 artefat  prayers isn't that good actually as deafult Prayers (weapon to inflict D3Damage, D3 mortals to enemy within 3'' on 4+ and Avatar animation) are very situational and even Avatar prayer will be useless from turn 3 on. I think for my second artefact (as I will try on Bloodwrack Shrine as general) I will give my Slaughter Queen re-rolls of 1 casting prayers/+1 prayer(then I can boost Blood Rites if needed)/-1 to Bravery of all enemy units in 7'' or 14''/+1 to save for Cauldron (so it would start with 3+ save, 5++ save) 

34 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

3 artefat  prayers isn't that good actually as deafult Prayers (weapon to inflict D3Damage, D3 mortals to enemy within 3'' on 4+ and Avatar animation) are very situational and even Avatar prayer will be useless from turn 3 on. I think for my second artefact (as I will try on Bloodwrack Shrine as general) I will give my Slaughter Queen re-rolls of 1 casting prayers/+1 prayer(then I can boost Blood Rites if needed)/-1 to Bravery of all enemy units in 7'' or 14''/+1 to save for Cauldron (so it would start with 3+ save, 5++ save) 

Or they can do 3 of the same prayers as they aren't restricted under the rule of one, so give 3 units a rerollable FF save...?

That was my assumption aswell, but i guess i'll need to wait til Saturday to find the exact wording, but my initial thoughts were 3 prayers or re-roll 1's for prayers, i think there was one that gave +1 to spells which i might also consider if thats what it does 

Archived