What armies can I safely collect

Hi,

I am new to AOS, but a vet in general. I am having loads of fun. The new simplified and intuitive system works perfect, when you do not have endless amounts of time to play. I have one major issue/question and I need your help!

My problem is in relation to choosing armies. Me and my usual opponent like to stick to the old groupings of the factions btw. I am unsure what factions are "safe" to invest in. For instance, the Lizardmen of old got transformed into Seraphon. But how about High elves or Dark elves and all the others? Is it safe to invest in Witch Elves or Scourge Privateers now that some new kind of shadow elves are coming out? Is it a sound investment for me to build my High elves collection bigger (started out with four boxes of Spire of Dawn).  Should I concentrate my collections around battletomes or... and so on O.o

So what do you think? What is consensus - is there one? What do you do yourself? Any comments are more than welcome :)  

As Dez says, things that are still in the webstore will stick. Maybe they will be modernized like The Changeling and the Lord of Change, but you will still have the rules to use it. 

Maybe things that you buy for a Faction will be enrolled in a bigger faction like the Mortal Tzeentch and Demon Tzeentch get all fusioned in Disciples of Tzeentch, but models and rules are safe to not be Squatted.

But, the "general" impresion its that the armys of the old world will not receive new content probably in the near future, and if they are not fussed with new AoS factions (Like black orcs becoming Ardboyz) its probably that they will be like the Sister of Battle. You can play with them and buy them, but not expect new rules. 

So you think that nice 1000 points worth of Witch elves is a good investment, but also a kind of dead end?

How about "greenskins" and death for that matter. Flesh eater courts are alive and brimming but the rest are dead ends. Bone splitters and Iron Jaws are good but the rest of the green lads are not. 

Thanks for the answers btw!

I'm sure Greenskins will not receive new models before all the AoS factions are done, or the Greenskins are used to grow another Destruction army (Like Black orcs). Obviously I can be wrong, but this is the trend I have seen so far.

Every investment its a good investment if you like the models. Maybe in X months the Witch Elves are fussed with a battletome of a new AoS faction. Maybe they are still alone but usable in the Order Great Alliance. Maybe they receive a model update. But I'm sure that you will still be able to use them. 

They are not compendium afterall.

9 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

No army is safe, the Sword of GW dangles above the head of every faction as the capriciousness nature of the Faction Forgers knows no bounds.

Nooooooooo :o do not say that. I cannot handle it!

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

best pun of the day :D 

You are welcome :D

I would hold off on Aelfs, not because the models might become useless (I rekon everything that was going to get axed already did, in the great culling), but because I don't know in what direction GW are going with aelfs and I would like to know what I am getting into.

I'd only count safe as in armies/races which will see progression. How i feel.

So, I currently wouldn't count lizard men as one of them. Their armies currently storyline is limited to its current forces as it's from the slaans memories iirc. 

So adding new units would break current fluff

Lizardmen still have a decent amount of finecast however so I can see them getting new models even without new units.  However, if they finally get plastic kroxigor, I could see it being a dual kit where GW just retcons a new unit in. The chameleon skinks, salamanders, razordons and a number of heroes also need to transition from finecast.  All that together would be a major release.

1 hour ago, DarkBlack said:

I would hold off on Aelfs, not because the models might become useless (I rekon everything that was going to get axed already did, in the great culling), but because I don't know in what direction GW are going with aelfs and I would like to know what I am getting into.

I am already committed to a "High Elf" army with four Spire of Dawn sets and a Phoenix. I will just get what ever I need to have a well rounded 2000 points list. After that I will wait and see what happens. The new shadow-cthulhu aelves that are rumored is probably something I am going to dive into. I am planning three armies for now because I suffer from faction attention problems. I am selling of a good chunk of my WM/H collection to finance it. 

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

If going Death route it's probably safe to assume that anything Death Lords and spirit hosts are a safe bet as I'm sure those will be fleshed out in the first rounds of Death updates.

I assume that is because the lords and the spirit thing is pretty original and thus IP that GW can own? Please elaborate :)

7 minutes ago, Atomicaphex said:

that is because the lords and the spirit thing is pretty original and thus IP that GW can own? Please elaborate :)

Not only this but in all the novels and fluff as of late, Nagash has been laying out some serious plans I hear.

THe model range definitely has a look and design unto itself as compared to the more generic look of all the rest of death. This seems to be the direction GW is taking.

I say Spirit Hosts because the damn things are swarming all over the ENTIRE model line thus far.

Lastly this is just a tin foil hat theory but I believe Death Lords will sorta become the spiritual successors to Tomb Kings. Hell, they even have almost the exact name, heh.

For me all signs point to this being a major faction within this alliance.

I was keen on dispossessed until the new dwarfs were revealed and, whilst I'd hope that the new aelfs and other factions wouldn't replace old factions, I'm not sure that the aesthetic of future new aelfs would compliment 8th line or when / if the likes of High Elves would be revisited.

I'm also not sure whether the AOS factions with a tiny range will get a battletome or combined or whatever (e.g warhawk riders, phoenix temple and swifthawk agents).

I'd got battletome to future proof. Tomb King point change is indicative of how old factions could be phased out.

The safe armies are those who have been update recently, so Stormcast, Bloodbound, Disciples of Tzeentch, Ironjawz, Bonesplittas, Beastclaw, Fyreslayers, and Sylvaneth.  Everything else is buy at your own risk.  Even though the models may be available for months (or even years to come), they may not get a battalion for years (if ever).  For example, some forces like Moonclan are fully up to date, all available in the recent Grand Alliance books, but do not actually have a battalion that can be fielded in Matched play.  Compare this with the 25+ battalions available to the Stormcast Eternals.  This is of course important because Battalion often have strategic abilities not offered elsewhere and they can reduce your number of drops so that you can choose who takes first turn.  This is a surprisingly bigger deal than you might expect.  

So, even if a line is "up to date", it may not receive significant support for awhile, and if it doesn't have things like a diversity of battalions, specialized items, and allegiance abilities, it may not be able to compete in Matched Play. 

Just have care with collecting Chaos. They are super spiky and can hurt your fingers. 

The rest of the armys should be quite peacefull, but for a reason, Dwarfs bits tend to attract pets. Maybe they look tasty, I don't know.

I had a similar dilemma, but after some research, settled for Stormcast Eternals - they might not be my favourite regarding looks and their overall 'angels in shiny armour' vibe is a bit silly, but that can be remedied with a bit of converting and a more realistic painting scheme, methinks...

Also, they were introduced to the lore in order to stay for good. There are plenty of cheap sources of minis everywhere, including the current starter set. The above may also apply to Bloodbound, however Khorne armies never appealed to me, so I never bothered to consider them.

I am going to stop at around 1000 pts (which can be achieved relatively quickly and painlessly for my wallet), and see how it goes from there.

Archived