Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

I would say that the transport ability is much better on table as on the paper. The army feels lot like an army from 5th Edition 40k, though the transports aren't as blatantly undercosted as rhinos and chimeras. Still, transports coupled with objective based scenarios and lots of quite powerful short range shooting can be devastating, and is fun to play.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, tokek said:

Skywardens do look like a better way to put those drill cannon on the table. For 200 points you get two cannons, two volley guns and 12 wounds with 4+ save. Or if you love the ships you can pay the points premium for Riggers and be healing your ships.

I would love the ships to be viable because I think they will look epic on the table. The various sources of healing seems to be the key to that - and the gunhauler ability to allocate wounds to avoid high value ships going down to one turn of focus-fire. Whether that works out on the table is yet to be seen.

People will ignore Gunhaulers if there's a larger ship they can target.. Especially if an Ironclad or Frigate is about.

Im thinking of using these guys as a support force,,especially because of the support ability would allow me to field 3+ warscrolls of these guys,loading up the extras onto a ship and making just one drop with them.Should make for a nice support force addition to say,,a Fyreslayer army:)

Agreed that we need to wait, also as mentioned before I don't consider myself a very good tactician so I look forward to being proved wrong. I am just relaying my initial thoughts.

Still, if I can somehow get enough Mortars to equip a 10 man strong unit of Thunderers with them, with a Khemist backing them up and hanging around my Hurricanum, it's going to be a very tasty 300 points spent! (20 shots at 36", 3+/3+, Damage D3!) no-one is ever going to give you first turn with a unit like that :P 

18 minutes ago, bottle said:

I am going to say I disagree because Mortal Wounds are the counter for the crazy saves many units can get. And when an army doesn't even get access to Arcane Bolt I think it should have something in its toolbox as an equivalent at least.

I see you point. But then we enter an arms race to see who can do more mortal wounds and whe end with Stormcast Wraithknigts! 

Armies should have weakness. Thats what make then interesting. Now, if today meta makes an army without mortal wounds usseless, I dont think the solution its to give mortal to everyone

I'm gonna need 3 ships at least for an epic aesthetic look. Aethsetically odd numbers look better because they have a centre.

Done a quick 2000 pt list and I should be able to fit 2 frigates and one Ironclad with 30 arkanaughts, 10 thunderers and 3 leaders. This does come at the expense of gun haulers and balloon guys...but I prefer the big boats. I need to read the book though cos the rules may persuade me otherwise!

1 hour ago, bottle said:

Agree that we need to wait, also as mentioned before I don't consider myself a very good tactician so I look forward to being proved wrong. I am just relaying my initial thoughts.

Still, if I can somehow get enough Mortars to equip a 10 man strong unit of Thunderers with them, with a Khemist backing them up and hanging around my Hurricanum, it's going to be a very tasty 300 points spent! (20 shots at 36", 3+/3+, Damage D3!) no-one is ever going to give you first turn with a unit like that :P 

You can have my two mortars, I won't need them 

2 hours ago, Galas said:

I see you point. But then we enter an arms race to see who can do more mortal wounds and whe end with Stormcast Wraithknigts! 

Armies should have weakness. Thats what make then interesting. Now, if today meta makes an army without mortal wounds usseless, I dont think the solution its to give mortal to everyone

I think armies should have soft weaknesses, but this strikes me as a hard weakness so far. I think every faction should have the tools to deal with every type of unit you'll come across, but it seems the KO have no real answer for super strong armour that you see on things like Fulminators or Treelords with Oaken Armour. 

As an aside I feel like I am coming across a bit too negatively in this thread. I am super enthusiastic and positive 99% of time so I hope no one misconstrues me here. I just think KO look a little weak and that while some units will be very nice in Mixed Order lists, I don't expect them as a faction to be very competitive. I am super willing to be proven wrong though! :)

23 minutes ago, April said:

You can have my two mortars, I won't need them 

I might have to take you up on it! It's surprising but it seems people prefer the cannons over the Mortars?

2 hours ago, April said:

People will ignore Gunhaulers if there's a larger ship they can target.. Especially if an Ironclad or Frigate is about.

Yes and the special rule on the Gunhaulers should offload 1/3 of those wounds anyway. Like I said we need to see if this is enough - on the table - to mitigate the ability to focus-fire down the bigger ships and give them time to be repaired.

By contrast you can focus fire the Gunhaulers themselves and there is nothing we have seen yet that the KO player can do about it.

Just realised there is a pretty simple way to build a single-drop list with the Overlords.

Take an Iron Sky Squadron with 4 frigates and at least 3 units of Arkanauts for battle-line. Add in some Heroes which you can spread around between the ships. Add in one or two foot-slogging units of your choice in the empty frigate. Now add as many units of Endrinriggers or Skywardens as you have the points for.

The Frigates deploy in a single drop. Everything else deploys in the Frigates using the Set-up rule of the Frigate. Of course if you want prefer non-balloon choices in your list just boot the Arkanauts out to deploy on the ground and you have more empty Frigates in which your other units can deploy in the single drop.

Similarly you can do it with an Iron Sky Command if you put the included Arkanauts on the ground which leaves 20 spaces inside the Ironclad for 20 more models - your other two battleline units of Arkanauts.

25 minutes ago, Dez said:

Preorders up in the US, book cards and all the goodies locked in!

Me too! Book, big-but-not-book-big warscroll things, and the free cards!

Going to wait a bit till I read the book to make purchases. The book comes with a full painting gunder too so that will help me choose a paint scheme. 

19 minutes ago, tokek said:

Yes and the special rule on the Gunhaulers should offload 1/3 of those wounds anyway. Like I said we need to see if this is enough - on the table - to mitigate the ability to focus-fire down the bigger ships and give them time to be repaired.

By contrast you can focus fire the Gunhaulers themselves and there is nothing we have seen yet that the KO player can do about it.

And you can flank them with riggers to patch them up.

31 minutes ago, bottle said:

I think armies should have soft weaknesses, but this strikes me as a hard weakness so far. I think every faction should have the tools to deal with every type of unit you'll come across, but it seems the KO have no real answer for super strong armour that you see on things like Fulminators or Treelords with Oaken Armour. 

As an aside I feel like I am coming across a bit too negatively in this thread. I am super enthusiastic and positive 99% of time so I hope no one misconstrues me here. I just think KO look a little weak and that while some units will be very nice in Mixed Order lists, I don't expect them as a faction to be very competitive. I am super willing to be proven wrong though! :)

I might have to take you up on it! It's surprising but it seems people prefer the cannons over the Mortars?

I'm actually after decksweepers.

43 minutes ago, bottle said:

I agree with you! We shouldnt have hard counters, because that way we enter the rock\ paper\scissor of warmachine. But to me, the problem its in those two units you had mention, not the lack of mortal wounds of the kharadron

Archived