Legions of Nagash FAQ Compilation Thread.

yarrickson

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That you could heal or resurrect it was clear.

No, what I mean is that before you could have been able to resurrect a 2 wounds model even with one only wound. And with 3 wounds a model of 2 wounds and a model of 1 wound.

With the FAQ,  or you realize a 3+ to gain a single 2 wound models, or nothing and it will be anyway a single model  for each 

Bat swarms are only healable, but not refullable as models.

And spirit hosts are quite hard to gain back.

The text of Invigorating aura is the same of Deathly Invocation are the same about that part.

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

I mean, almost everyone I talked to assumed it worked like that, and that you either healed or resurrected so...

Agreed. I played around 10 games since the book came out.  How the FAQ states it should be played is how I interpreted it.   Its wonderful ability as is imo and would be broken if played otherwise.

5 minutes ago, shadowseercB said:

Agreed. I played around 10 games since the book came out.  How the FAQ states it should be played is how I interpreted it.   Its wonderful ability as is imo and would be broken if played otherwise.

The problemit's not that one.

But that in case you have 2 wounds models you can resurrect only 1  on a 3+, not 1 and one with 1 wound.

And in case of 3 wounds models, you can resurrect it only on 5+

More than 4 wounds models are not resurractable with such a FAQ.

And it work so also fo the Deathly invocation, cuase the text is the same

13 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It was never like that. You interpreted it like that but it's not how it's supposed to work, and the FAQ clearly shows it.

I re-read multiple times the rules and without the FAQ it didn't work so.

Anyway at least it has been clarified quite early, but sincerly I preferred the revius stendard usage to make them back.

11 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

I like that there is an element of risk/reward when targeting cavalry and hosts etc. Makes the special characters with their re-rolls and/or set raising more useful too. 

Which ones are you referring to? Only Nagash and Arkhan (2 on 5 ), not so many and i t involve so special characters; it should not be something to be glad about. In case there are more common ones if you think about taking the command trait "Master of Death" from the Grand Host of Nagash.

Of course, I would prefer the ability to be broken and spill over (ok not really it's better for the health of the game for it to be this way) but alas it had to be balanced lol 

I quote from the book: "Pick a friendly Summonable unit within 9" of this gravesite. You can EITHER heal D3 wounds allocated to it or , if no wounds are currently allocated to the unit, you may return a number of slain models to it that have a wounds characteristic equal or less than the roll of the D3."

What of that reads like anything different than what the FAQ says?

2 hours ago, smucreo said:

I mean, almost everyone I talked to assumed it worked like that, and that you either healed or resurrected so...

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would think you got to do both.  The rules clearly and explicitly say you do one or the other.   The word "either" is by definition exclusive of one of the options.  Totally unnecessary FAQ.  

18 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Of course, I would prefer the ability to be broken and spill over (ok not really it's better for the health of the game for it to be this way) but alas it had to be balanced lol 

I quote from the book: "Pick a friendly Summonable unit within 9" of this gravesite. You can EITHER heal D3 wounds allocated to it or , if no wounds are currently allocated to the unit, you may return a number of slain models to it that have a wounds characteristic equal or less than the roll of the D3."

What of that reads like anything different than what the FAQ says?

The problem is not that either. It has never been such a problem.

The problem is that before it was understandable that you could have gaind with a thow of 1 anyway  a 2 wound model. Now it's esplciti that only on a 3+ you can gain a 2 wounds model, on a 5+ a 3 wounds modell and bat swarms can't be gained back at all.

Maybe a misread of me and pther people before, but it change quite a lot the way to use the army.

And it make miss the stendard quite heavely.

4 minutes ago, deynon said:

The problem is that before it was understandable that you could have gaind with a thow of 1 anyway  a 2 wound model. 

I don't think even before the FAQ you could bring back a 2 wounds model with a roll of 1or2 ( 1 wound)

The ability Says :"you may return a number of slain models to it that have a wounds characteristic equal or less than the roll of the D3."

The "wound characteristic" of the model you want to bring back is 2. So it's not "Equal or less than the roll"

For example even if you want to bring back a Black knight with only one wound, the "wound characteristic" (on the wheel) is still 2

22 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would think you got to do both.  The rules clearly and explicitly say you do one or the other.   The word "either" is by definition exclusive of one of the options.  Totally unnecessary FAQ.  

It's not unnecessary if a lot of people "frequently ask it" ;)

2 minutes ago, tmichaux92 said:

I don't think even before the FAQ you could bring back a 2 wounds model with a roll of 1or2 ( 1 wound)

The ability Says :"you may return a number of slain models to it that have a wounds characteristic equal or less than the roll of the D3."

The "wound characteristic" of the model you want to bring back is 2. So it's not "Equal or less than the roll"

For example even if you want to bring back a Black knight with only one wound, the "wound characteristic" (on the wheel) is still 2

I understood (and not only me) that it was referring to the amount of wounds gained back. SO the slain models would be equivalent to the total wounds gaines. So 1 full model and one healed by one. In case of a 5+ Or a single wound.
It was a misconcept.

The FAQ killed it completely.

6 minutes ago, deynon said:

I understood (and not only me) that it was referring to the amount of wounds gained back. SO the slain models would be equivalent to the total wounds gaines. So 1 full model and one healed by one. In case of a 5+ Or a single wound.
It was a misconcept.

The FAQ killed it completely.

The FAQ didn't kill it completely. You just misunderstood how the rule works.

There's a reason it comes under the FAQ and not the errata section. It's very clear in the wording how it is meant to work. It's one or the other, and it's wound characteristic not wounds. 2 Black Knights have a combined wounds characteristic of 4, so you cannot possibly bring back 2 Black Knights.

Either way, I think just get over it. You understood wrong (and there's nothing wrong with that) but just like everyone else, you now have to play it like it's been spelt out. So there's no real point getting worked up over it, what's there is there.

3 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

The FAQ didn't kill it completely. You just misunderstood how the rule works.

There's a reason it comes under the FAQ and not the errata section. It's very clear in the wording how it is meant to work. It's one or the other, and it's wound characteristic not wounds. 2 Black Knights have a combined wounds characteristic of 4, so you cannot possibly bring back 2 Black Knights.

Either way, I think just get over it. You understood wrong (and there's nothing wrong with that) but just like everyone else, you now have to play it like it's been spelt out. So there's no real point getting worked up over it, what's there is there.

I agree. And luckily it has been released quite soon.

I'm ok with the FAQ overall.

English is a second language for a lot of people (myself included). Some of the wording are confusing and the FAQ clear it out. What I don't understand is why they literally change the rule for the Deathmarch battalion (wholly within 12" instead of within 9")

How broken was this battalion so that they had to change the rule 2 weeks after the release. I wasn't into death before but wasn't this battalion already around before the tome?

3 minutes ago, tmichaux92 said:

I'm ok with the FAQ overall.

English is a second language for a lot of people (myself included). Some of the wording are confusing and the FAQ clear it out. What I don't understand is why they literally change the rule for the Deathmarch battalion (wholly within 12" instead of within 9")

How broken was this battalion so that they had to change the rule 2 weeks after the release. I wasn't into death before but wasn't this battalion already around before the tome?

It's the same warscroll battlaion that is avalaible form the beginning, the only one survived other than the FEC ones after the releasing of the GH2017.

Ok black knight improved a bit, but WK decreased in their stead...and I don't think that the command trait Mastery of Death or the artifactOssific Diadem are enough to change the options.

This is quite a mistery, cause it was the only WB without named characters avaiaible in the Legions of Nagash and it has also been decreased in power.

I was wondering about Gravesites. The Faq says that they are just markers. So they don't count as scenery. Meaning Destruction can't destroy em, Dwarfs can't make Volcanos out of them. Which would be good, but it would also mean that we, for example, couldn't use them against a sylvaneth player to limit their ability to place to pesky groves? Otherwise I think that would be awesome since you could really hinder that ability with strategically placed Gravesites.... What do you guys think?

Just now, Arael_Greywings said:

I was wondering about Gravesites. The Faq says that they are just markers. So they don't count as scenery. Meaning Destruction can't destroy em, Dwarfs can't make Volcanos out of them. Which would be good, but it would also mean that we, for example, couldn't use them against a sylvaneth player to limit their ability to place to pesky groves? Otherwise I think that would be awesome since you could really hinder that ability with strategically placed Gravesites.... What do you guys think?

I think they've made it very clear that its just a point on the battlefield and I think that's a good thing as it avoids a lot of additional complicated questions :P

My question will seem dumb, but are model resurected with all their wound or only one ?

I feel like some people think it's only with one wound, but it seems strange to me. When Sylvaneth make a kurnoth coming back to life, he is fully healed

If you have a model with 2 wounds that you want to resurrect, you need to roll a 2 or higher on your Deathly Invocation/Invigorating Aura roll to do so. A roll of one won't bring back the model. This means that either you resurrect him at full wounds or you don't at all, there's no bringing back wounded models or even healing one wound and then using the 2 remaining points from the roll (assuming you got a 3) to resurrect another 2 wound dude as well. 

Just now, smucreo said:

If you have a model with 2 wounds that you want to resurrect, you need to roll a 2 or higher on your Deathly Invocation/Invigorating Aura roll to do so. A roll of one won't bring back the model. This means that either you resurrect him at full wounds or you don't at all, there's no bringing back wounded models or even healing one wound and then using the 2 remaining points from the roll (assuming you got a 3) to resurrect another 2 wound dude as well. 

Thanks a lot ! So it work like i thought. Good

On 2/10/2018 at 9:42 AM, Killax said:

Yes, provided you meet the unit requirements. 

Where does the pushback come from? Every book has this point 4. What it means is that you still have to choose a Grand Host/Legion, fufill the requirements, but it doesn't mean that because the Battalion units ****** benifit from the Allegiance.

That wording doesn’t seem to be in the GHB 2017. And the Legions of Nagash doesn’t have that wording ... it has: 

“4. Allegiance:If a battalion has an allegiance, its can be included in an army that has that allegiance even if some of the units in the battalion are from a different faction. However, its units only benefit from that army’s allegiance abilities if they have the appropriate keyword on their warscroll.”

This is being followed by the references from the GHB 2017:

”An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword for that allegiance...” p. 116 GHB 2017

“WARSCROLL BATTALIONS
When picking your army’s allegiance, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance noted above the title on the warscroll.” P. 117 GHB 2017

So:

If I choose a “Grand Host of Nagash” Allegiance, and try to bring in a Warscroll Battalion that has “DEATH” as the Allegiance .. do I now have to choose “DEATH” as my Allegiance to get the benefits from the Warscroll Battalion? (Or can one choose the Warscroll Battalion without breaking Allegiance?)

How about a Warscroll Battalion with Allegiance “Legion of Blood”.. The Allegiance Grand Host of Nagash doesn’t have “Legion of Blood” available as an Ally ... and if all of the units in that battalion are considered to have “Legion of Blood” Allegiance does that break the Allegiance?

For most factions and battletomes this isn’t an issue.

Archived