Lets chat Soulblight

TerrorPenguin

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

Did anyone get further consensus on which soulblight artefacts affect the mounts and which don’t and if the coven throne counts as a mount or not?

The Coven Throne technically isn't a mount, for game purposes it's 3 separate entities which attack at the same time - they are clearly separate though. I think with all of the new artifact wordings, and especially if you compare GH17 to the Tomb Kings .pdf (which makes it obviously clear when things effect the mounts), if it doesn't say it effects mounts, then unfortunately it simply doesn't.

On 03/11/2017 at 12:59 PM, Koalaninja said:

Which allegiance ability should I choose. + 2 movement or +1 casting?

My army is as follows.

55EF45FE-BAAB-49F5-83ED-7677AC3F1CCC.jpeg

Swift death. The ability to fly and have 12 inch move is really good on the knights. It means that you can screen them quite well and get the counter charge easily or people can't park things in front as you can fly over your screen. 

Makes your zombie dragon faster as well. 

40 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Anybody tried running VLoZD with Nef as an ally? Going to 2+ save with rend immunity sounds hard on the lord.

Also... I redownload VLoAT warscroll and it seems to be soulblight again...

Unfortunately on the AoS app the VLoAT scroll is outdated (2015), the .pdf via games workshop website was last modified, 23 August 2017, 11:02:57, and does not have the soulblight keyword.

The problem with using Nef in any position where she isn't your general is that, she simply isn't worth the points. Dagger of Jet is quite niche when you do the maths, it's good when there's an appropriate target for her to go after, but otherwise it's wasted. Her Mortarch of blood ability is redundant in matched play, and if she can't use her command ability as general then she's not worth 400 points. I do like her as a general, and if she could lead a soulblight army that would make her usable, but as an ally there's plenty of better options. If you want to use her, GA: Death is the way to go.

I was more thinking of her spell in combo with VLoZD with mystic shield. That 2+ rending immune save will be properly annoying for most opponents. 

I do agree that she would be slightly overcosted in just a beatstick role though. 

5 hours ago, Elmir said:

I was more thinking of her spell in combo with VLoZD with mystic shield. That 2+ rending immune save will be properly annoying for most opponents. 

I do agree that she would be slightly overcosted in just a beatstick role though. 

My point was it's a lot of points to pay (overpay) to then rely on a two spell combo, which aren't really viable. If you do the maths on two spells going off every turn it's not great. At the same time Dark Mist looks a lot better on paper. In game it's not as effective, it's not like somebody is going to throw a bunch of high rend attacks at the dragon and be shocked when it ignores the rend, they will simply play around Dark Mist and it's a lot easier to kill Nef instead so she can't keep spamming it. When you have two good spells you generally want to split them up onto different units, when it's the same unit it makes it so easy for your opponent, it basically eliminates any decision making they would have to do and they can just play around the buffed up unit rather than having to deal with buffs on multiple units.

• 1 month later...

Giving Soulblight another shot.  Going to try this list in the upcoming week.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Sigil of the Sanguine Throne 
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
Vampire Lord (140)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
6 x Vargheists (320)
3 x Vargheists (160)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Fell Bats (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

Buff up Vargheists with VLoZD Command Ability, or the Blood Knights, depending on where the enemy is moving/scenario.  The Vargheists need Mystic Shield on them, but can really dish it out in the enemy's combat phases as well.  Swift Death (of course) for great mobility.  Dire Wolves allied in for 2 x 60pts to address the odd leftover 120pts.  Blood Knights - self explanatory, and 6 Fell bats to screen as needed.

17 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Giving Soulblight another shot.  Going to try this list in the upcoming week.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

- General
- Deathlance
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Sigil of the Sanguine Throne 
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
6 x Vargheists (320)
3 x Vargheists (160)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Fell Bats (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

Buff up Vargheists with VLoZD Command Ability, or the Blood Knights, depending on where the enemy is moving/scenario.  The Vargheists need Mystic Shield on them, but can really dish it out in the enemy's combat phases as well.  Swift Death (of course) for great mobility.  Dire Wolves allied in for 2 x 60pts to address the odd leftover 120pts.  Blood Knights - self explanatory, and 6 Fell bats to screen as needed.

I think that's a decent list as is, not a huge fan of multiple regular Vampire Lords as they become more redundant, but I understand the need to have 3 casters and it makes sense why you chose it. With that in mind, a change that I would suggest would be to ally in Arkhan, he gets 2 spells, which means you drop the duplicate Vampire Lord, and you drop the small unit of Vargheists and a unit of dire wolves so that you stay within your ally limits. It reduces your total wounds by quite a bit and makes your list a bit more glass cannon, and I don't like having 40 points left over, but he works surprisingly well as an ally for Soulblight. Definitely worth play testing in my opinion.

2 hours ago, JohnnyH5 said:

Just wondering, what do people use the Dire Wolves for????  I seen them in several battles at my local GW and all I seen them do is sit on objectives to stop the opponent getting to them....

Exactly that ^

They're 10 wounds with a 10" movement for 60pts.  It helps fill out the list with wounds.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Currently one of the best death battleline choices.

Well, one of the three... (or four)

7 actually. Only 4 are in print though (zombies, wolves, skeletons, and ghouls).

Zombies at 60 points for 10
Dire Wolves at 60 for 5
Skeletons at 80 for 10
Skeletal Legionaries at 80 for 10
Skeletal Horseman at 100 for 5
Ghouls as 100 for 10
Skeletal Chariots at 140 for 3

man I haven't been on the forums in a long while, but so far my interests in AoS have been peaked again now that Death is getting the spotlight!

So Over the last weekend I played a friendly tournament in my local GW with a mixed death list, but using soulblight as the main power hitters of the army, along with a unit of vargheists for the heck of it. They still are quite good, hard to kill, and got called broken a few times by some players but overall They are still a lot of fun. Still as tough as nails with the new abilities too, though I only really used them once or twice in a game thus far, but when I did they consistently outpunched what I needed them to kill, even without charging so they're still fun.  I really need to get better at screening though.

Vargheists however, have not been so kind. Nowhere near as tough as the knights, consistant damage but requiring more buffs to keep them alive longer, can't bring any back... not as big as a fan.

Favorite relic has to be the saccrine goblet for the +1 to hit and wound on the VLoZD, even when it's only for the sword. He gets buffed that much more, and makes him hurt things so much more reliably they I just can't leave home without it when I take the big guy.  Re-rolling to hit is pretty awesome as well, especially against the plethora of -1 to hit around my meta.

whatsmore I finally got all the units I needed for 2,000 points, and thought of this list for the future since I found everything I need to make a coven throne:

Alliance: Soulblight swift death

General: VLoZD (Saccrine goblet, misty form) 440

Coven Throne- 220

Blood Knights (x5 guys)- 260

Blood Knights (x5 guys)-260

Blood Knights (x10 guys)- 520

Allies:

DireWolves (x5)-60

DireWolves (x5)- 60

Hex Wraiths (x5) -160pts

Total: 1980pts

Basic tactics for this army,  doggos and hex wraiths screen, knights fly in and kill what they charge, big zombie dragon flies around touching things and flying away while the throne becomes another spell monkey and a source of potential mortal wounds when I need it. it's the basic idea of this list, but so far no one has really done this in my meta so it's fairly unique. It's not the best, but so far soulblight is my favorite army to play so it doesn't really matter. I may exchange the coven throne for a mortis engine for healing, but I don't know if I got all the bits for it.

I continue to use my Soulblight army, and scored another win over a tough Skaven army using mostly Jezzails this past weekend. 

VLoZD (Spear, Mist Form, Scabbing Plate)(Lords of the Night)

Blood Knights x5

Blood Knights x5

Blood Knights x5

Allies:

Arkhan the Black

Summoning:

Mourngul

Cairn Wraith

Arkhan summons the mourngul on a 7 and the cairn wraith on a 2, so I can usually get both up first turn if I so choose.  Everything (except the cairn wraith) can heal by killing,  plus the blood knights regenerate.  Most important is getting a successful charge off with as many units as possible, but I get there most of the time.  Finally, the cairn wraith is nice to sit back on an objective that needs a hero to score.

I haven't played a game of AoS in quite some time, but with Malign Portents right around the corner I reckon it's the perfect time to bust out my vampires. Problem is, I haven't played with them since GHB 2017 was released, so I'm hoping to get some input on a 2k Soulblight list.

- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Blood Fury 
- Artefact: The Slaking Blade 
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare
Necromancer (110)
- Allies
5 x Blood Knights (260)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
3 x Vargheists (160)
3 x Vargheists (160)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spear & Shield
- Allies

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 390 / 400
Wounds: 123

Basic idea is that Vargheists follow around the VLoZD for extra punch, Blood Knights and mounted vampires are flankers, and the skeletons and necromancer go right up the middle to wreck someones day with Vanhel's Danse Macabre (assuming it still works the same way).

I'm considering dropping the skeletons and necromancer altogether to give me a huge pool of summoning, or subbing in something else such as a Terrorgheist or Mourngul, but I'm not sure how smart it'd be to have so few units. Also, I have no idea what relics/command abilities to go with for my general, but I reckon more punchy damage is pretty straightforward.

Any input/advice would be very much welcome, and thank you in advance!

Hey, I've been wanting to get into Age of Sigmar for a while and have some AoS models I've converted to fit 40k to an extent. Would I be able to make a starting Soulblight army with 5 Blood Knights, 3 Vargheists, a Vamp lord with wings and 2 morghasts?

6 hours ago, Rhivan said:

Hey, I've been wanting to get into Age of Sigmar for a while and have some AoS models I've converted to fit 40k to an extent. Would I be able to make a starting Soulblight army with 5 Blood Knights, 3 Vargheists, a Vamp lord with wings and 2 morghasts?

There's obviously open play, where that that would work as an army.  For matched play, the Vampire lord, blood knights and vargheists are a good place to start; they're 560 total points and the Blood Knights and Vargheists are battle line for a Soulblight allegiance army. Morghasts can ally with soul blight, but at 220 points, you'll be past the 200 limit for 1000 points, but should be good for 1500 points and up. To expand it, you can't go wrong with more of what you've got in the vampire lord, vargheists and blood knights. Coven throne and vampire lord on zombie dragon are neat. Even though you can't ally with Flesh eater courts, their start collecting box is a good deal because you can build the vampire lord on zombie dragon and a unit of vargheists out of it and you'll have a left over unit of ghouls for a generic death army or something. Also, if you want the coven throne, the start collecting malignants can be decent since you can build the coven throne, though not saving money on it stand alone, but you'll also get some black knights/hexwraiths and spirit hosts you can ally. The Flesh Eater courts box is more of a no brainer  deal for Soulblight, but the malignants can be useful if you want allies.

• 3 weeks later...

So with legions of Nagash being announced I have found myself trying to get back and actually sort out my soulblight army. Hopefully in time for a little path to glory based firestorm campaign.

So I'm thinking of lists with my zombie dragon and vamp lord, lots of fell bats (can convert 9 up with my gargoyle looking proxies) and blood knights. 

I wonder how this will work in most games. In theory fell bats can be my anti horde / charge screens with the blood knights providing backup. I also have some vargheists but I find a squad of 3 is rarely good as I never get good dice with them. I also have a coven throne and lots of vampire lords.

I know fell bats and throne are good vs squishy hordes but what sort of targets do people find vargs and knights best suited for? I find my knights can struggle against elite infantry even with a charge.

So had my first soulblight game today. Against my dads bonesplitters at roughly 1500 a side.

Only did 2 turns and it was a mega cluster ******... Failed all 14 of Cassia's (my vamp lord on dragon) deathless thralls from the hand of gorked big stabbas that attacked her so she dies without doing anything other than giving vargheists reroll to hit. I got massively ****** over by my dad getting double turn.

My blood knights were charged turn 1 by his golem but still killed it after my turn 2. The coven throne did super well vs his morboys (he had no arraboys as we were testing out new things)

I def need more fell bats to screen cassia and the blood knights. And rerolling hits on the vargs was really good. Also I've learnt how fast bonesplitters can be.

At least the rest of my army brought it to equal ground after their leader died. Never underestimate angry vampires.

Here's a pic of my dads turn two at combat phase start. Shortly before cassia was impaled horrifically.

IMG_20180124_213317360.jpg

Well, according to the leaks on War of sigmar, Soulblight got a steak in it's heart. Bloodnights lost the banner ability to bring back one model, now instead giving -1 battle shock (yay, something half the game ignores anyways), the Vamp lord lost it's signature spell, and gained a new ability to bring back / heal models, but that only works on summonable models so no healing for the bloodknights there either. 

course this has to happen when I finally got 2,000 points of them together.

24 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, according to the leaks on War of sigmar, Soulblight got a steak in it's heart. Bloodnights lost the banner ability to bring back one model, now instead giving -1 battle shock (yay, something half the game ignores anyways), the Vamp lord lost it's signature spell, and gained a new ability to bring back / heal models, but that only works on summonable models so no healing for the bloodknights there either. 

course this has to happen when I finally got 2,000 points of them together.

Well that's dissapointing... Hopefully blood knights will go down in points then if they're dicking them over that bad.

Healing units is alright but the sig spell was really good... Unlike the vlord on z dragons spell.

Soulblight nef could be good though.

Archived