GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

It was released along with all the others

yea that is pretty garbage but upside 36" plus a possible 1-6" extra range is pretty good with foot of gork with a plus 3 or plus 4 if I leave my idol near by and just camp the Ardboys and shaman on a objective it will come close to touching a big portion of the table except the far edges so idk I am going to try and use it 

I was thinking of doing a Weirdfist when I saw the Idol. Surround the Shaman with Ardboys so you can get +3 to cast. If you have the minimum of 3 units plus him thats 4 dice. So thats a minimum of +24" cast range. You dont need to waste points on a Balewind

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

It has +1 to run and charge rolls and +2 to bravery...so its pretty good

I just seems that its mainly used for narrative or open play because of the triumph bonus. Also I didnt see any points cost for baleful realmgate anywhere? But even if those are not used bonuses seem very good for jawz.

I want to clarify the situation with Maw-Krasha attacks wording. So, in Gordak's warscroll Maw-Krasha "batters opponents with Mighty Fists, flattens them with Destructive Bulk AND smashes them with Bladed Tail". And the one under Megaboss "Can batter opponents with Mighty Fists, flatten them with Destructive Bulk OR smash them with Bladed Tail".

I don't understand why there is a choice between attacks? Or it's just a bad wording and you can youse all types of attacks?

Thnx in advance

It is literally just the car crash that is the English language "OR" carries the same meaning as "AND" in certain situations. 

that sentence is basically telling you how your Mawkrusha can bring on the pain

"he can punch them, he can land on them AND he can smack them with his tail"

My collection of 'old' destructions models is staggeringly big, so this is something I came up with trying to maximise usage of owned models instead of buying new stuff before it is painted. Also Giants and orks is just the way to go!

Orruk Megaboss 140
Orruk Warchanter 80
30 Ardboys 450
30 Ardboys 450
10 Brutes 360

Ironfist 160

1 Gargant 170
1 Gargant 170

1980 points

I think the Ironfist is needed to add some mobility to the big blobs. It is body heavy, but character light. The premise would be to protect the big units with 3x inspiring presence, but if the General dies it could be over in a jiffy. Gotta give it a go I think. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, AgeofsigmarEU said:

My collection of 'old' destructions models is staggeringly big, so this is something I came up with trying to maximise usage of owned models instead of buying new stuff before it is painted. Also Giants and orks is just the way to go!

Orruk Megaboss 140
Orruk Warchanter 80
30 Ardboys 450
30 Ardboys 450
10 Brutes 360

Ironfist 160

1 Gargant 170
1 Gargant 170

1980 points

I think the Ironfist is needed to add some mobility to the big blobs. It is body heavy, but character light. The premise would be to protect the big units with 3x inspiring presence, but if the General dies it could be over in a jiffy. Gotta give it a go I think. Any thoughts?

The only thing I would say that the general would be a prime target for a rapid sniper attack. While a mega boss is fairly strudy, it's the clear weak link in the army. That isn't necessarily a bad thing however; Ardboys are quite difficult to shift and by taking moral boosting items on your war chanter it can be really difficult to do any moral damage to these fellas even without inspiring presence. I actually think this list would be immensely difficult to win against, just simply due to the volume of tough wounds to chew through.

Looking at a similar list;

160    Ironfist

140    MegaBoss  
80    Warchanter
80    Warchanter
120    Weirdnob Shaman
450    Ardboyz 
450    Ardboyz 
180    Brutes 
180    Brutes 
140    GoreGruntas 

Haven't figured out the artifacts yet. 

Guys Im interested to start ironjawz this year what do you think about this list? I want build a conpetitive tournament list!

maw crusha 460

- brutish cunning

- daubing of mork

megaboss 140

- destroyer

warchanter 80

-the boss skewer

10 ardboys 180

5 brutes 180

- 1 gorechoppa

- brute choppas

10 brutes 360

- 2 gorechoppas

-jagged Gore hackas

5 Gore gruntas 140

5 Gore gruntas 140

ironfist 160

bloodtoof 140

tot 1980

what do you think?:)

New to the forum, just starting a Ironjawz army as I have always wanted orcs! I still haven't put them together so I don't really have any experience with them.

I have purchased a start collecting box and the battleforce which includes:

Megaboss 140
Warchanter 80
Weirdnob Shaman 120
10x Brutes 360
6x Gore Gruntas 280
10x Ardboys 180
Gargant 170
Ironfist (battalion) 160

At the moment that bring me to a total of 1490pts. I want to get to 2000pts and I was thinking the best way for me to get there is to add the Maw-Krusher @460pts and then later on expand from there with maybe more shamans and range.

Any tips or suggestions for starting out? 

28 minutes ago, Jblaze said:

New to the forum, just starting a Ironjawz army as I have always wanted orcs! I still haven't put them together so I don't really have any experience with them.

I have purchased a start collecting box and the battleforce which includes:

Megaboss 140
Warchanter 80
Weirdnob Shaman 120
10x Brutes 360
6x Gore Gruntas 280
10x Ardboys 180
Gargant 170
Ironfist (battalion) 160

At the moment that bring me to a total of 1490pts. I want to get to 2000pts and I was thinking the best way for me to get there is to add the Maw-Krusher @460pts and then later on expand from there with maybe more shamans and range.

Any tips or suggestions for starting out? 

With the spare 60 points you could get a Snotling Pump Wagon or 5 random squigs for a laugh. You could also swap the Ironfist for a Weirdfist to try and get those silly gorks warpath's off although you are a little low on the total orruk numbers for that. If you wanted to use the Weirdfist might be a good idea to split the brutes into 2 units of 5 for the extra roll on the bonus. Should average as 12" and 2 extra mortal wounds per spell which isn't shabby especially if you can get a good angle on the green puke. 

2+D3 mortal wounds on a 12"+2D6 line is pretty disgusting with the right positioning.

@Tizianolol nice looking list I played with my Verizon if it last night which was 5 brutes over the 10 Ardboyz and a shaman over the footboss. The shaman was really useful in keeping my MawKrusha alive but a footboss would have been handy to support my brutes. I'm seriously considering dropping the Bloodtoof and adding in the footboss BUT the Bloodtoof bravery and speed buff was amazing (I didn't have to take a single battleshock roll all game!) 

@Jblazeget a Mawkrusha as this opens a good amount of options, then 20 more Ardboyz to allow you the mighty horde option if you want it OR at least 10 more brutes so you can go brute heavy. Then which ever you decide do the other (Ardboyz/brutes) finally a second Megaboss and some more Gore grutnas (at least 3 so you can try formation if you want it) and to top it all off a second Mawkrusha maybe ;-)

@Sangfroid i think best thing to do Is testing the list. My idea is :

- if you run bloodtoof , 2 x3 gruntas are so good. They are fast and you can  d3 damage ability if you roll a 6 in charge

- megaboss with destroyer or shaman? Here you have to choose between Mystic shild and a guy that got 6 attacks 3 hit /3wound/-1/3 damage. If you are buffed from warchanter you hit with 2s.

- with blootoof and +2 bravery you can consider to call waagh! Its another attack for your boss and if he killed one enemy hero he got 8 attacks lol (7+ waagh) . 

- another choice is remove 3 gruntas and bloodtoof for shaman and 10 ardboys /5 brutes or up the second unite of brutes to 10. In the third case is better play maw crusha with command trait that give you 3 inspiring presence!:)

@Tizianolol I plan on running the same list though with 'prophet of the Waaagh" as the command trait, as I'll finally get to use it with the improved bravery.

I won't get to try it out for a couple of weeks so please update us on how it goes. At 2500 points I plan on adding a shaman, and then a gargant and trogoths just for the sake of modelling opportunities. 

Prophet of the waagh is interesting, but k thing brutish is better on maw.you can use destructive bulk on enemy turn! Immagine if you roll 5+ and you charge a little unit or a single model . It's your opponent turn and you charge him and destructive bulk kill the model, your turn you can charge again and another destructive bulk :)

Morning all,

So many posts!! Loving it!

I have played a couple of games now. I will report on them in the usual fashion over in my army thread. Will probably be tomorrow I write about them now. I tried a list that I don't consider to be great, but just wanted to test some things out before trying to get into the nitty-gritty of working out what I consider "best". There are just so many options now though aren't there....it's crazy good fun!

There's a bunch of you writing lists without the Maw-krusha above, which is cool as for me it is a 100% auto include, so nice to see different ideas. The model I'm struggling with is my beloved Krunk. The extra rend or damage looks fantastic on paper...but he's lost movement and doesn't hit/wound on 2+ anymore which makes a big big difference. I feel like a foot Megaboss will perhaps not make some of my armies, but we'll see!

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:02 AM, Malakithe said:

It costs points now for every time you cast it. So if you cast it then unsummon it to move somewhere you have to pay the points again...so basically if you dont want to pay for it more then once youll have to never move and castle up

I always ruled it this way at my tournaments anyway, so good to see some clarification.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, Requizen said:

What am I missing about Bloodtoofs? It doesn't look that crazy strong.

Say whaaaaaat?! Are you looking at the right page?! It has a massive downside in that it sucks up 300 points on your army (and has a 1,460 minimum buy-in) and a minor downside in that you need to be a bit careful with the Realmgate. However a global +2 Bravery is insanely good for Ironjawz. I've played two games now with a Brute heavy Bloodtoof and haven't failed a single Battleshock test. Also a cumulative +2 to charge rolls is huge. Best thing I've found so far isn't making longer charges (which clearly is awesome), it's so helpful for getting that massive Maw-krusha base over units and into the sweet spot etc.

I'm not sure it will be the way we end up going if I'm honest. But any long term Ironjawz player who's lost countless Brutes to failed Battleshock is surely going to give it a go!!  

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, Fightabomba said:

I just seems that its mainly used for narrative or open play because of the triumph bonus. Also I didnt see any points cost for baleful realmgate anywhere? But even if those are not used bonuses seem very good for jawz.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, Nico said:

Realmgate will be free (as it was for Wardens of the Realmgate).

Yes, @Nico is correct, the Realmgate is 100% free. Just remember that a single gate does allow travel to board edges, so be careful!!

This is what I'm currently sizing up... if the trials go well it'll be my Finals list. Just can't justify the new battalions at the moment. Had a go at a 30-man Ardboy unit the other day and it failed miserably - largely because of the opponent I was facing, but also because it completely changed the role of the Ardboys on the field (from defensive to offensive) which, didn't work for me. This list lacks magic but I think it'll be OK. The grots can hold the backboard and/or objectives. Brutes and Maw do the hard work. Gruntas for mobility. Lobber for sniping.

Comments/criticism welcome!

460 mawkrush
80 warchanter
80 warchanter
180 brutes
180 brutes
180 brutes
180 brutes
140 gruntas
130 moonclan grots
130 moonclan grots
100 rock lobber