Worse units in AOS

4 minutes ago, FRoper said:

Can we try and keep this to worst units please.

Its a topic that will generate a ton of different views. The content above is still referring to overcosted units and things that could be better if pointed differently. Ultimately "worst" units are the ones that are just over costed compared to another that fills almost the same job role.

I also don't see why you want a list of the worst units.

You've updated your initial thread with Kairos under worst heroes. He is certainly not even close to "worst" and is still a very powerful character in the game, he was pointed out of strong competitive play.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Nico said:

The requirement is not in bold though - it's a reference to the unit name as per the FAQs.

Ah. I assumed that when you put it in bold in your post that meant it was bolded in the battalion(s) as well.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

@FRoper - Might wanna heed your own advice bro ;)...you've got Moonclan Grots listed as one of the worst units in the game?! Wtf!!

They are arguably the best generic Destruction battleline unit in the game.

Regular moonclan grots are fantastic yes. Archer grots are garbage and/or fanatic taxis.

On 14/05/2017 at 9:06 AM, Furious said:

I don't know, it seems pretty solid considering you can plop them down within range of the enemy.

This is true, leaves them pretty vulnerable to being put in combat pretty quick. 

Most of my experiance with them was pre the new book. 

On 5/12/2017 at 9:02 AM, Tasman said:

Harpies.... why take them when, if you want a small unit of flyers, furies are available?

I'd definitely second Harpies for worst melee unit.   

First models I painted after getting back into age of Sigmar tho.  Once I got into games I tried desperately to find a justifiable role for them, but it just isn't there.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, arka0415 said:

Don't knock my boy the Witch Hunter! He does... moderate damage and kind of counters wizards, a little? He's also the single best 60pt unit in the Devoted of Sigmar faction!

Yeah one of my regular opponents takes one, and its given me a lot of headaches. For the cost they are pretty useful.

23 hours ago, Orange said:

Yeah one of my regular opponents takes one, and its given me a lot of headaches. For the cost they are pretty useful.

Really, how so? I have one from my old collection but I'm not using it. What does your opponent do with it? If there's a way to give these guys new life that'd be awesome.

I take Drycha a fair bit, so he's pretty useful for pinging shots off at her. Even if you only take a few wounds off her, it's all helpful.

The reason it survives is he makes sure it's never the biggest threat, so if you send anything after it you're neglecting a bigger threat nearby.

And if his opponent doesn't have wizards or daemons, it's still a 60 point hero that extends the leadership bubble.

Just thought I'd point out that there are three ways to play and we know somethings are written for narrative and open play rather than Matched (Battalions in particular). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for this to be applied to warscrolls as well. Background wise Snottlings are not a serious battlefield consideration for example. 

1 hour ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Just thought I'd point out that there are three ways to play and we know somethings are written for narrative and open play rather than Matched (Battalions in particular). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for this to be applied to warscrolls as well. Background wise Snottlings are not a serious battlefield consideration for example. 

Absolutely. I think that all relevant debate around this topic truely only applies for Matched play and on that point even Tournament Competative Matched play.

Ive read some stuff I can't really agree with, such as on Kairos. At 340 points he's a bad general, that's what I agree with. Though as a secondary Monster Hero I'd say he's more than capable of lifting his own weight. With this I mean that his abilities can be very useful and even more useful if you skip out on a Battalion because in my opinion he comes with a very solid set of spells but his ability is far superior as any Artefact and truely more akin to what you'd expect to see in a Battalion. As in essence it's another fate dice that has 6 eyes. Which is easily worth 40 points.
Compair him to a General Lord of Change and he's certainly worse for cost and modulation options, but all non-General Heroes will be worse as General Heroes. It's what the Command Trait does for a model and on top of that it still is very likely that the General will stride with an Artefact aswell. A Lord of Change is also an incredible deal at 300, likely a bit too cheap all things considered. In that same vein Kairos feels just a little bit overcosted. Not things you'll notice if you include Skyfires as backbone or support.

To throw another model in, I'd also say that Skarr is not that useful at his current cost for Matched play because his 'returning' ability is wonderful for Open and Narrative play but most certainly not worth spending an additional 120 points into.
So if we went per faction/Battletome, I'd say Skarr Bloodwrath is likely the worst Hero in the Blades of Khorne book for his cost. Returning him would make him effectively 240 points and he can't return that by any stretch of the imagnation unless your opponent is completely oblivious. 
When we would factor in Mark of the Destroyer on a regular 80 point Bloodbound Hero you'd see how useless Skarr's ability becomes for Matched play.

In my opinion what is worse should also really be put into context of cost, otherwise nothing in AoS is truely useless.
60 point Heroes are very cheap, so a Witch Hunter in my eyes is likely not often taken because Hero slots should fill very useful and tactical flexible slots.

Skarrs purpose is to be a Melee blender, he can still do that at 120 but we now have the Artefacts to have other Heroes do this aswell at 80 points. Then if you look at his ability to return (a factor that seems to be taken into his cost) he'd be 240 points for that effect and most certainly never worth 240 points. If he'd be 80/100 in his current form that would be fine. Likewise Valkia at her 120 points is fine, her speed and 'missle solo role' works in all kinds of play. 

20 minutes ago, Tubs said:

The fyreslayers Doomseeker is the single worst hero in the game imo

All of the Silver Tower heroes that come in the box are pretty lame in standard AoS. There's nothing wrong with them per se, they just have boring rules and don't serve any particular function. I don't see why you would field any of them. A missed opportunity there I think.

29 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

All of the Silver Tower heroes that come in the box are pretty lame in standard AoS. There's nothing wrong with them per se, they just have boring rules and don't serve any particular function. I don't see why you would field any of them. A missed opportunity there I think.

I would use the Gaunt Summoner from Silver Tower.....

36 minutes ago, Tasman said:

I would use the Gaunt Summoner from Silver Tower.....

I wasn't counting him - I was thinking of the playable heroes that were originally created specially for Silver Tower. The Gaunt Summoner had a proper warscroll in Everchosen well before the Silver Tower was released. I don't know what Ogroid Thaumaturge's warscroll is like, but I imagine that as he was part of a proper Tzeentch battletome release his rules and functionality are actually pretty good.

If the Tenebrael Shard and Mistweaver Saih get incorporated into a proper 'Aleves' battletome release I imagine they'll get updated warscrolls with better abilities.

Speaking of which, did the Knight Questor appear in the reworked Stormcast battletome?

46 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Speaking of which, did the Knight Questor appear in the reworked Stormcast battletome?

Yes. He's not very strong offensively, with only the four single-damage attacks, but he can hold his position with that 3+ re-rollable save. 

There's also a tiny description (but no warscroll) for the Errant Questor. 

Gaunt Summoner sitting on top of a bale wind vortex. Surprised that hasn't popped up in your gaming group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Sactownbri said:

Gaunt Summoner sitting on top of a bale wind vortex. Surprised that hasn't popped up in your gaming group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know he's got the hero keyword, but in the context of Silver Tower he's not a hero. I was talking about the playable heroes from Silver Tower that were created for that game then later ported to standard AoS. They did a pretty perfunctory job on the warscrolls for those guys - really just providing a way for people to use the models in AoS, rather than thinking about giving them an interesting battlefield role or creating synergies with existing units.

Archived