Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

14 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@sal4m4nd3r do you think plague squal is any good? From what I’ve seen it’s generally pretty poor - hard to cast and when it does go off it can be inconsistent. Maybe cloying quagmire instead would be a decent option? Especially coupled with festus save characteristic debuff? 

You’re far more experienced than me and I’d be interested read your thoughts on this.  

*just re read the festus spell and I see it’s -1 to save rolls not save characteristic - without the battletome in front of me I’m not sure if that’d impact on the quagmire spell. 

I like plague squall on certain casters. I see people giving it to glotkin (presumably for LOS dominance) but I like it on characters that have a spell that might not see action the first couple turns. Its gravy damage. It can be kind of random though. I have been able to cast it regularly (as 6 on 2d6 is above 50% success rate) and have had turns where I get no 6's and some where I got 3. Its nice when you hit it after a decent rampant disease round! 

I havent tried quagmire. It seems decent for removing tough high armor wounds..but I just simply havent tried it. I tried runnign a rotbringer sorc with muttergrub and squall as a objective sitter, squall and foul regen caster a few games. Worked well!

@hughwyeth Nice win! Stupid lizard boi's are always hard to beat. So many tactical options. Nice use of spume! I ABSOLUTLEY HATE when the kings run into a -1 debuff. It really 100% neuters them. I find it  mildly offensive there is not even ONE way to had +1 to hit in our entire book. but it looks like you handled it well! Nurgles nail seems fun! but what the drones are going after is not likely to have a great target for it. Have you considered the chaos lord on demoic mount for the drones? I like him a bit better as his damage is more consistent damage and can take the dirge.. which I think is one of the better mortal artfacts. Also dont over look bountiful swarm if you stick with the DP! that could be a nasty surprise for the enemy support heros while the drones do work on the plebs!!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Yeh I find keeping my DP alive is a bit of a nightmare. Part of the reason I’m also running Slimux as a back up locus provider (running every turn, plus the bonus move from the bell, means he can more or less keep up if I need him to).

And he can drop a tree within 3" of an enemy! often overlooked by people who write off the grump gardening git! And he can heal himself or the drones. plus adds the element of rend. I love him to compliment drones. one downside is he is a bit expensive (points)

8 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@hughwyeth Nice win! Stupid lizard boi's are always hard to beat. So many tactical options. Nice use of spume! I ABSOLUTLEY HATE when the kings run into a -1 debuff. It really 100% neuters them. I find it  mildly offensive there is not even ONE way to had +1 to hit in our entire book. but it looks like you handled it well! Nurgles nail seems fun! but what the drones are going after is not likely to have a great target for it. Have you considered the chaos lord on demoic mount for the drones? I like him a bit better as his damage is more consistent damage and can take the dirge.. which I think is one of the better mortal artfacts. Also dont over look bountiful swarm if you stick with the DP! that could be a nasty surprise for the enemy support heros while the drones do work on the plebs!!

I imagine the no +1 to hit is because of blades of putrefaction. If you could get+1 to hit, run 40 marauders/40 plague priests with GUO/GLottkin +1 attack buff and laugh as you get double digit mortal wounds in a single combat phase. 

Nurgle's nail is fun- if I was playing narrative/open against someone like Nagash/Alarielle, it would be a fun threat to have, but it's just so unlikely to do anything in a normal game. 

Chaos lord on demonic mount is a good alternative, and 20pts cheaper! 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

And he can drop a tree within 3" of an enemy! often overlooked by people who write off the grump gardening git! And he can heal himself or the drones. plus adds the element of rend. I love him to compliment drones. one downside is he is a bit expensive (points)

Are those rules in a battalion?

33 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Are those rules in a battalion?

No it is his "cultivating the garden of nurgle" rule.  Allows him to drop a tree anywhere within 3" of him and only 1" away from terrain and enemy models. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG-Horticulous-slimux.pdf

54 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Lord on daemonic mount has been tempting me for a while... he’s pretty weak in terms of damage output, but he’s cheap and relatively tough. Frees up points for other things too.

Has anyone tried him?

I have! His damage is on par with the prince. Its more consistent (damage 2 as opposed to d3) its nice he is 20 point cheaper and still activates drones locus. It provides an option if you NEED those 20 points, also fits into a plaguetouched warband if need be! Also allows you to access the mortal artifacts if you wanted one in particular. 

6 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Ah, i was looking at the older rules sheet. Thanks! 

And notice the subtle change to his In death there is life rule.. 

It no longer requires a unit to be wiped out within 7" of him.. just any model (friend or foe!) to be slain. No Range. But it must be a nurgle demon unit. And by MY interpretation of the rule.. he can do this multiple times (if there are viable nurgle demon units in the 7") as it doesnt specify ONE unit. 

OLD: In Death There is Life: All friendly nurgle units within 7" of this model heal 1 wound each time a  unit is wiped out within 7" of Horticulous Slimux.

NEW: In Death There is Life: At the start of your hero phase, if any models (friend or foe) were slain in the last turn, you can heal 1 wound allocated to a friendly Nurgle Daemon unit within 7" of Horticulous Slimux

17 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

And notice the subtle change to his In death there is life rule.. 

It no longer requires a unit to be wiped out within 7" of him.. just any model (friend or foe!) to be slain. No Range. But it must be a nurgle demon unit. And by MY interpretation of the rule.. he can do this multiple times (if there are viable nurgle demon units in the 7") as it doesnt specify ONE unit. 

OLD: In Death There is Life: All friendly nurgle units within 7" of this model heal 1 wound each time a  unit is wiped out within 7" of Horticulous Slimux.

NEW: In Death There is Life: At the start of your hero phase, if any models (friend or foe) were slain in the last turn, you can heal 1 wound allocated to a friendly Nurgle Daemon unit within 7" of Horticulous Slimux

Doesn't the "...to a friendly..." mean 1 though? Definitely an improvement in any case!

Three questions. First two easy ones:

1) Does the BlightKings Virulent Discharge ability work on itself (so if a unit is alone it heals d3? ) And if you have two units  w/in 3" each would heal 2d3? (tempting in that case to put your wounds on the Blightlord first?)

2) Base size for Plaguebearers. The start collecting has 32mm, and the PB box has 25mm.  For tournament play, is 32mm the accepted norm?

3) I'm on the fence with the Drones. (As I'm trying to Theory-Hammer before making too many purchases).  With the GUO command ability and a hero nearby and blades cast, I have a unit of 3 doing on average 20.5 wounds on soft targets,  14.5 wounds on  medium targets, and 12 on on hard targets.  Good enough for a hammer unit?  If so, are they better supported by the harbinger or is a Lord of Afflictions worth the points (don't see any other daemon hero choices to keep up with them)? (In general I'm having a hard time finding a good hammer in this book).

4 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Three questions. First two easy ones:

1) Does the BlightKings Virulent Discharge ability work on itself (so if a unit is alone it heals d3? ) And if you have two units  w'in 3" each would heak 2d3? (tempting in that case to put your wounds on the Blightlord first?)

2) Base size for Plaguebearers. The start collecting has 32mm, and the PB box has 25mm.  For tournament play, is 32mm the accepted norm?

3) I'm on the fence with the Drones. (As I'm trying to Theory-Hammer before making too many purchases).  With the GUO command ability and a hero nearby and blades cast, I have a unit of 3 doing on average 20.5 wounds on soft targets,  14.5 wounds on  medium targets, and 12 on on hard targets.  Good enough for a hammer unit?  If so, are they better supported by the harbinger or is a Lord of Afflictions worth the points (don't see any other daemon hero choices to keep up with them)? (In general I'm having a hard time finding a good hammer in this book).

1.1 yes

1.2 no, only 1d3 it does not stack

2 32mm but 25 i think can be accepted too (even if rebasing is necessary)

3 lord on daemonic mount can do it too and is 20 points cheaper than harby , does more damage and have an extra wound. I think is 1" faster too. Loa is strong but you have to find the points for it. I think is stronger in mortal list (tho is strong anyway, probably the best lord for duality of death)

You know what I really like about this book? Unlike, say, Khorne (where there's really just 2 ways to go (Murderhost and Gore Pilgrims) , there does not seem to be too many clear-cut choices here. There's a lot of legitimate ways to go.  If I squint hard enough, I can even see reasons to sometimes put in beasts, nurglings, the scrivner, and the piper.  I suppose as more tournaments are played one or two lists will start to ascend above the others. But I think it's not obvious at this point what they will be.

There's only a few things I'm "sure" of:

1) Every list should have a unit of 30x Plaguebearers with a daemon hero support.

2) I think every list should have a GUO or a Glottkin as the centerpiece. 

3) I think every list should mix daemons and mortals to give access to cross-beneficial abilities. 

11 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

1.1 yes

1.2 no, only 1d3 it does not stack

2 32mm but 25 i think can be accepted too (even if rebasing is necessary)

3 lord on daemonic mount can do it too and is 20 points cheaper than harby , does more damage and have an extra wound. I think is 1" faster too. Loa is strong but you have to find the points for it. I think is stronger in mortal list (tho is strong anyway, probably the best lord for duality of death)

Thank you! Shout-out to the whole forum! This place is awesome! 

2 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Yeah. Except the one dude came in second running him in the Aussie (if think it was there) master's tourney!

Yes It was at Cancon. Blight cyst.

https://aosshorts.com/cancon-top-10-age-of-sigmar-lists/

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Demon prince is 160 and does the trick! Can also take artifacts (endless gift! shoutout to witherstave as well). If you REALLY need the 20 points, the chaos lord on demonic is also good. Similar damage (more consistent 2 damage vs the hit or miss d3 on the prince). 

Let me again make a case for horticulous to roll with the drones. He is a TANK at 8 wounds, 3+/5++. Not a monster so can get the benefit of cover. He has good rend which the drones dont have. He can heal the drones (or himself) virtually every turn. He can drop a tree anywhere within 3" of him..as long as its not within 1" of enemy model or terrain (MUCH less restrictive than summoning a tree). He might have to run every turn in order to  keep up but with no shooting attack and free tree nearby this shouldnt be a problem. 

While i think that DP is not that bad he is far too squishy and dicey.

The lord on daemon mount is by far a better pick. 20 points less, a bit slower but has a 5++ vs mortals, can heal himself (not a high chance but still there is), and is far more reliable in terms of damage output with flat 2 and 3+/3+ (he is far better than sword daemon prince on this side). The 5++ vs mortals is the big winner of the clodm for me tho, but he on par with loa in terms of mortal wounds tankiness.

Slimux is not bad, i don't know why people think he is. While he is a bit overpriced he has a natural 3+, which makes him a beast in duality since he can get cover, can heal a unit per turn (included himself) has DR, has -2 rend which is a thing we lack a bit. On top of that he gift you a tree. The problem is that part of his cost is included the buff to beasts, that pretty much sucks.

Without the buff to beast that say is 40 points at 180 he would be really strong. I can see it being played when beasts will go down likely 20-40 points in gh18 (and they will go down since they are unimpressive and they didn't sell many of their expensive kits)

Yesterday another match with my Tally (Rotigus, 2 Poxbringer, 30+10+10 Plaguebearer, 3x3 Drones) and the 4th victory in 5 games.

Duality of Death vs Stormacast Hammerwing (mega-drop of multiple units within 12" to a selected point and more than 5" from me) + 9 Raptors and some filler.

Thanks to mono-drop I get the first turn and controlling the Cycle I ran on the two obj. The "weak one" with 1 Poxbringer and 3 Drones, on the"strong one" obj I send all my other units with Rotigus sitting on it. By this way I was sure to be +1 in counting victory points even if i lost the weak one in my opponent's first turn.

In his turn he drop most of his army near the weak one but fails 2 easy charge granting me a lot of points of advantage.

In fact this doesn't matter cause at turn 3 with some charge of the Drones, Rotigus Deluge and 6° stage of Cycle all his 3 heroes was KO while Rotigus still securing his obj. So with a few more than 10 models killed I get a Major victory. :D

The Tally showed his Resilient once again. Despite the low damage output is possible to win focusing on obj and playing shrewd.

I was, as usual, in doubt with Rotigus. When targeting by the Raptors and 10 Judicators I was afraid he can be killed (if my opp get 2 straight turns) while a GUO with Done will surely survive.:S

But how can I renounce to the Combo Deluge + 6th Cycle's stage? :S

have had decent results with different variations of Blights Cyst so far this year.  Pure daemons so far has been a complete let down.

With that being said I am off to my second tournament for 2018 this Saturday and I am excited to run a new list.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing 
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact : Muttergrub 
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Units
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Total: 1980 / 2000 
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 157

The trick here is the Lord of Blights adding a further -2 to shooting and -1 to hit on the Plaguebearers.  In addition he is giving them death heads which will benefit from Blades of Putrefaction if Glottkin successfully casts the spell.  Then of course we have Glottkin adding Fleshy Abundance and a potential further -1 to in combat if I exceed the enemies bravery on 2 dice within 2".

Meanwhile we have Rotigus casting his built in spell with unlimited range which stacks nicely with the sorcerer.  Each turn the Muttergrub allows the Sorcerer cast both Plague Squall (again, unlimited range) and Foul Regenesis.  Foul Regenesis will usually be used to move the wheel to Rampant Disease.  This combination results in 3 similar unlimited range mortal wound spells/abilities going off each turn.  Giving us the range and mortal wound output that Nurgle is usually lacking.  

Other Key Points

1. Having two big heroes helps give me Duality of Death coverage and 4 units of Blightkings gives a lot of flexibility and speed.

2. Rotigus can use his second spell to provide the -1 armor save that the Blightkings may need.  Granted that this means he can't cast again with losing the buff.  I expect this to be a situational or late game tool.

3. Giving death heads to the plaguebearers not only increases damage output with Blades, it also helps bypass -1 to hit in combat enemy debuffs since Blades works on shooting attacks too.

4. Grandfather's blessing allows Rampant Disease and Corrupted Regrowth to go off in a single turn.

All in all I am very a happy with all of the points this list hits and I hope to report positive results after the tournament on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Krieger said:

have had decent results with different variations of Blights Cyst so far this year.  Pure daemons so far has been a complete let down.

With that being said I am off to my second tournament for 2018 this Saturday and I am excited to run a new list.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing 
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact : Muttergrub 
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes
Units
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Total: 1980 / 2000 
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 157

The trick here is the Lord of Blights adding a further -2 to shooting and -1 to hit on the Plaguebearers.  In addition he is giving them death heads which will benefit from Blades of Putrefaction if Glottkin successfully casts the spell.  Then of course we have Glottkin adding Fleshy Abundance and a potential further -1 to in combat if I exceed the enemies bravery on 2 dice within 2".

Meanwhile we have Rotigus casting his built in spell with unlimited range which stacks nicely with the sorcerer.  Each turn the Muttergrub allows the Sorcerer cast both Plague Squall (again, unlimited range) and Foul Regenesis.  Foul Regenesis will usually be used to move the wheel to Rampant Disease.  This combination results in 3 similar unlimited range mortal wound spells/abilities going off each turn.  Giving us the range and mortal wound output that Nurgle is usually lacking.  

Other Key Points

1. Having two big heroes helps give me Duality of Death coverage and 4 units of Blightkings gives a lot of flexibility and speed.

2. Rotigus can use his second spell to provide the -1 armor save that the Blightkings may need.  Granted that this means he can't cast again with losing the buff.  I expect this to be a situational or late game tool.

3. Giving death heads to the plaguebearers not only increases damage output with Blades, it also helps bypass -1 to hit in combat enemy debuffs since Blades works on shooting attacks too.

4. Grandfather's blessing allows Rampant Disease and Corrupted Regrowth to go off in a single turn.

All in all I am very a happy with all of the points this list hits and I hope to report positive results after the tournament on Saturday.

That list is extremely cool... curious why Daemons have been such a let down for you though?

Archived